• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snyder tells the story in the editing room. Every director's different. Fincher has an exacting vision for what he wants to see and averages 50 takes until he gets it (according to a Gone Girl producer)... however, Snyder's way more collaborative and lets the actors do their thing, overshoots to get a ton of raw material, then makes a 5 hour draft of the movie which gets molded into the final film.

There are strengths and weaknesses to each approach, but the latter is generally better for integrated post-production in visual effects heavy films.

That's actually a pretty good approach. I don't want them to rush it, just figured it shouldn't take more than half a year for something in post production. Wonder if they filmed some scenes for Justice League already.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I guess the movie's finally completed:

11012009_946242362077183_2455455919284103879_n.jpg

Well, this explain the original music for the trailer then.

Man, I wanna be on that screening

I want go even if Zack invited me :p but yeah these kind of advanced screening usually have not completed affect and other stuff, you'll want to see it in it's final form. and it's just one year to go.

https://instagram.com/p/1LZaQPDphf/

Think we knew the first part of this before

Curious to see what DC would get the John Wick duo for...

Zac Efron as Jason Todd, Andrew Garfield as Dick Grayson, and
Jaden Smith
as Tim Drake for Batman Solo film. lets do this, WB.

DaveH

Red Hood is basically DC's Winter Soldier, so they could definitely have fun with that story-arch.
I don't know if the distinction matters, but I might as well point out that DC broke the taboo that "No one but Jason Todd, Bucky Barnes, and Uncle Ben stays dead" first with Red Hood, before Marvel brought back Bucky.

So "Winter Solider is basically Marvel's Red Hood"... :p

Senoculum

That's actually a pretty good approach. I don't want them to rush it, just figured it shouldn't take more than half a year for something in post production. Wonder if they filmed some scenes for Justice League already.
I've worked on 30 second ads that have taken 6 months to complete. 30 seconds! Visual effects heavy films take a long, long time and are usually complete 4-6 months before release. Trailers also take months to complete, which is why you'll have the latest Avengers trailer with updated/improved VFX 20 days away from premiere - they used the latest finished footage a looooong while ago.

Further, there's some special effects that are done during this period, like miniatures and animatronics that have this weird overlap of "not-quite-production and not-quite-post-production. Interstellar's space shots used miniatures, but it was captured way after the principle cast had already shot their scenes.

To put things into perspective, Weta (Lord of the Rings, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) confirmed they were attached to BvS summer of 2014, and it was until December they clarified it was for one, single scene (perhaps akin to the first 25 minutes of Man of Steel, which took place on Krypton). You can literally have up to 200 people working on that one scene.

I don't think they're rushing it at all :)

Penguin

this must be great for him...to work on such a huge movie.

I imagine it is also nerve-wracking.

I mean this is not just comic book or cinema, but I think without too much of an exaggeration one of fiction's biggest characters.

Who almost every single theme song is iconic in its own way

The Adam West Theme
Elfman's theme
Zimmer's Theme

I'd even say some of the animated series stuff.

Its big, scary shoes to fill

Loxley

I don't know if the distinction matters, but I might as well point out that DC broke the taboo that "No one but Jason Todd, Bucky Barnes, and Uncle Ben stays dead" first with Red Hood, before Marvel brought back Bucky.

So "Winter Solider is basically Marvel's Red Hood"... :p

I was almost certain you're incorrect, but I looked it up. If we want to get technical (and what do comic book fans love more? :D), unless I overlooked something the character of Winter Soldier first appeared in January 2005 (Captain America #1) and Red Hood - as Jason Todd - first appeared in February of 2005 (Batman #635). So Winter Soldier predates Jason Todd as Red Hood by barely a month.

Of course, that's splitting hairs - lets just say the characters were created at the same time. That's actually a pretty funny coincidence.

I've worked on 30 second ads that have taken 6 months to complete. 30 seconds! Visual effects heavy films take a long, long time and are usually complete 4-6 months before release. Trailers also take months to complete, which is why you'll have the latest Avengers trailer with updated/improved VFX 20 days away from premiere - they used the latest finished footage a looooong while ago.

Further, there's some special effects that are done during this period, like miniatures and animatronics that have this weird overlap of "not-quite-production and not-quite-post-production. Interstellar's space shots used miniatures, but it was captured way after the principle cast had already shot their scenes.

To put things into perspective, Weta (Lord of the Rings, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) confirmed they were attached to BvS summer of 2014, and it was until December they clarified it was for one, single scene (perhaps akin to the first 25 minutes of Man of Steel, which took place on Krypton). You can literally have up to 200 people working on that one scene.

I don't think they're rushing it at all :)

Man the visual effects in this movie are going to be insane. I'm usually not a huge fan of CGI but in the right hands it is amazing.

Red Hood shouldn't have his own movie, but I wouldn't mind them adapting Under the Red Hood. Court of the Owls is what I really want to see.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man the visual effects in this movie are going to be insane. I'm usually not a huge fan of CGI but in the right hands it is amazing.

Red Hood shouldn't have his own movie, but I wouldn't mind them adapting Under the Red Hood. Court of the Owls is what I really want to see.

if the rumours are true about
Jason Todd's memorial
then they are already building towards Under the Red Hood. You could have Joker recall the incident, during his 'sessions' on Suicide Squad, also would explain why Batman decided to call it quits after that event before BvS.

Honestly I'm REALLY liking all this behind the scenes history already established for some characters, not everything needs a goddamn origin.

Quicksilver in Avengers is much more accurate to the comics. DOFP was practically only Quicksilver in name only. He was way too OP.

nobody cares. dofp scene was fun as hell, it's gonna be hard to explain his presence in apocalypse though seeing as how fast he was in the prior film

quicksilver in age of ultron isn't looking nearly as entertaining, though I imagine his cocky attitude will make up for it at least.

hoping the flash movie takes inspiration from xmen and the CW tv series instead.

DaveH

I was almost certain you're incorrect, but I looked it up. If we want to get technical (and what do comic book fans love more? :D), unless I overlooked something the character of Winter Soldier first appeared in January 2005 (Captain America #1) and Red Hood - as Jason Todd - first appeared in February of 2005 (Batman #635). So Winter Soldier predates Jason Todd as Red Hood by barely a month.
I think you're forgetting Hush storyline which put it out into the zeitgeist two years prior.

Majanew

Banned
You'd think that with all the additional time to work on it because of the delay, they would have finished most of the vfx stuff by now. But no, I'm guessing it';s still mostly incomplete.

Even Age of Ultron is still being fixed/changed 1-2 months before release

d1NhlBS.jpg

Whoa, didn't catch that. Went back to watch them both and it looks like they re-shot that part.

Let's see, stuff in that stack that hasn't been confirmed for the DCCU...

• Nightwing
  • Talon
  • Red Hood
  • Swamp Thing
  • Huntress
  • Birds of Prey

Can't see what the 3rd to last and last one are.

I think Swamp thing is rumored/confirmed for Dark Universe, but that doesn't mean he can't have his own movie.

Think he's just as the DC office and they have those comics on display for inspiration? or just to hand out as a gift. It seems like an odd assortment though. Nightwing #27 is an old issue and there's a bunch of #1's.

If it is actual characters, then holy shit. DC is going more ham on this than Marvel is, probably because they own all their characters. I'm seriously impressed, I didn't expect them to use very many characters from the comics.

Imperial

Let's see, stuff in that stack that hasn't been confirmed for the DCCU...

• Nightwing
  • Talon
  • Red Hood
  • Swamp Thing
  • Huntress
  • Birds of Prey

Can't see what the 3rd to last and last one are.

Third to last looks like Huntress/Power Girl: World's Finest.

EDIT: I didn't even notice Flash in the pile. Good call, Dan.

Also, all of Tom's BvS tweets are now gone.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Third to last looks like Huntress/Power Girl: World's Finest.

EDIT: I didn't even notice Flash in the pile. Good call, Dan.

Also, all of Tom's BvS tweets are now gone.

Fuck!! We were living by his teases, WHAT NOW!!??

WB ninjas worse than Nintendo's.

Imperial

Guess filming starts early next year, hope it doesn't get pushed back. My feeling is that they pushed back BvS so there wouldn't be such a large gap between it's release and subsequent DC universe movies.

That could be it. The excruciating three-year wait in between Man of Steel and BvS will be justified by having two DC films a year from 2016 onwards!

That could be it. The excruciating three-year wait in between Man of Steel and BvS will be justified by having two DC films a year from 2016 onwards!

Gotta start up dat train and keep it going. Given all the casting in Suicide Squad going on & rumors with BvS, it really feels like those two will be the big film that launches the universe. MoS was so dry on universe building. What did we get, a lexcorp truck and a wayne satellite? But yeah I'd prefer the film now, or last year, dry gaps between their films be damned.

Imperial

Gotta start up dat train and keep it going. Given all the casting in Suicide Squad going on & rumors with BvS, it really feels like those two will be the big film that launches the universe. MoS was so dry on universe building. What did we get, a lexcorp truck and a wayne satellite? But yeah I'd prefer the film now, or last year, dry gaps between their films be damned.

It's true that Man of Steel was light in terms of world-building and 'fan service', but yeah, if rumours are to be believed / and as we've all speculated, the events of the film will be a major catalyst for the introduction of the DC universe/ BvS. Batman coming out of retirement to face Supes, Zod's world engine affecting the home lands of Aquaman and Wonder Woman, etc

IconGrist

There wasn't a whole lot of world building in MoS because there was a risk. It was kind of shoved out the door a bit just to get it out with that lawsuit going on. I believe either Snyder or Goyer said something along the lines of MoS being written as a standalone.

ReiGun

Fuck!! We were living by his teases, WHAT NOW!!??

WB ninjas worse than Nintendo's.

I bet they outsource to the same group. An ancient clan that, in modern times, has rented out their services to various media companies trying to stop internet leaks.

You just be on twitter having a normal day, tweeting shit to fans, and the next thing you know you hear footsteps on the roof like

giphy.gif

"Heard you been twitpic'ing shit, bruh..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom