• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if posted, but yeah seems like he got in trouble

https://twitter.com/Junkie_XL/status/585931306975928320

lmao

Just a fun poll results for everyone

I think this proves that the Justice League name is still strong among mainstream. I'd argue that IGN (despite whatever you may think of their reviews) is a hot spot for the same group of people who make up the majority of watching super hero films. 2 million votes seems like quite a sample size as well. Suicide Squad also took an admirable place, I think this bodes well for WB and the DC Universe (let's hope they can make great movies to back it up).

Penguin

lmao

Just a fun poll results for everyone

I think this proves that the Justice League name is still strong among mainstream. I'd argue that IGN (despite whatever you may think of their reviews) is a hot spot for the same group of people who make up the majority of watching super hero films. 2 million votes seems like quite a sample size as well. Suicide Squad also took an admirable place, I think this bodes well for WB and the DC Universe (let's hope they can make great movies to back it up).

Well the Justice League branding hasn't really been left outside of pop culture in the past 15 years or so.

Between the animated series, animated movies and comics.

And I mean no matter what the people on the board may say and believe, Superman and Batman are still 2 of the 3 most iconic comic book characters in the world.

av2k

Well the Justice League branding hasn't really been left outside of pop culture in the past 15 years or so.

Between the animated series, animated movies and comics.

And I mean no matter what the people on the board may say and believe, Superman and Batman are still 2 of the 3 most iconic comic book characters in the world.

Just curious, who's #1 most iconic in the world? I'd figure Superman would be #1.

In the world I'd think Spiderman. He's atleast the most profitable. Superman's symbol is pretty synonymous with America though. Japanese Batman proves he has the most worldwide fanatics.

Ahasverus

How did I miss that Suicide Squad is the chronologic sequel of MoS and not BvS? Perhaps that's why they hadn't shot yet? Because they needed a complete BvS to accomodate SS's screenplay between the two.

Cade

I always heard the 3 most recognized symbols in the world are the christian cross, the superman logo and the mcdonalds arches in that order.

mickey-mouse-logo.jpg
?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
How did I miss that Suicide Squad is the chronologic sequel of MoS and not BvS? Perhaps that's why they hadn't shot yet? Because they needed a complete BvS to accomodate SS's screenplay between the two.

I think they have all the notes from Zack already so they don't have to wait till the movie is complete. my guess is that SS wont be heavy on CGI so they don't need to rush filming it.

maybe they should just delay BvS and do it the right way..so Suicide Squad in March 2016 and throw BvS to August 2016 (we need this thread to be alive as long as possible)

Loxley

Apple and Coca Cola want a word with you.

Those two are way more known as Supermans Logo I think.

I don't think there's any arguing that Apple's logo isn't one of the most recognizable in the world (along with Nike and such). But I would argue the Superman \S/ is more well known than Apple's logo. If evidenced by nothing else than the fact that Superman has been around for 76 years compared to Apple's 39. Plus, not to get all philosophical and poetic, but Superman's symbol crosses socioeconomic boundaries in ways that a consumer products company like Apple's doesn't.

This is what I thought. I don't doubt the power of apple and coca cola as brands, but in impoverished countries where electronic devices and soda are less relevant and toys and comics are still donated and circulated I can see where Superman would be more relevant. Mickey mouse might have a chance but for some reason I imagine Disney being a more popular logo than just the mouse ears.

I would be 100% fine with a direct Under the Red Hood adaptation, no lie.

It would be the absolute perfect solo Batman movie to start with,
Joker without needing to force him being the big bad again, also allows/sets up for a later Joker use.
Unique Batman villain who is "new" for the general audience.
Flashbacks also a huge bonus as this is a late career Batman, gives us background and such on this new universe.
Batfamily, Dick/Nightwing without a huge dedication of screentime/plot.
Does a classic Robin yet gets us quickly past the general audience negatives of Robin.

BadAss2961

There's been some rumors, but I don't think we know when it takes place yet.

I don't know anything about Under the Red Hood, so I can't tell my opinion on that, but I want Court of Owls for the next Batman solo movie. They can show many aspects of Batman if they do it right.

3N16MA

Banned
I never understood this. What the hell does Spider Man get plastered on? I never see anything major. Not compared to Batman and Superman.

Walk into a big box retailer (Walmart, Target) and you will find him on clothes, lunch bags, shoes, water bottles, valentine day cards, school products (pencils, backpacks, notebooks), Halloween costumes, and other stuff.

No single character gets as much merchandise as Spider-Man. Batman is also popular and the Avengers are everywhere with some characters getting more merchandise than others.

I don't know anything about Under the Red Hood, so I can't tell my opinion on that, but I want Court of Owls for the next Batman solo movie. They can show many aspects of Batman if they do it right.

Court of the Owls would be a good first movie imo, have the court torture Batman over Jason's death, then lead into Under the Red Hood for the second movie. I like the court story as Snyder wrote it because it highlights a lot of aspects of Batman (love the story of how he investigated his parent's death). I really really want that maze scene in the movie.

Effect

There's been some rumors, but I don't think we know when it takes place yet.

I'm more likely to believe it might cover range of time. Before or duringMan of Steel, after it, and maybe even during BvS. Showing Waller's reaction to Zod, etc is something I would think they must show in some manner.

Court of the Owls would be a good first movie imo, have the court torture Batman over Jason's death, then lead into Under the Red Hood for the second movie. I like the court story as Snyder wrote it because it highlights a lot of aspects of Batman (love the story of how he investigated his parent's death). I really really want that maze scene in the movie.

Fuuuck that maze scene would be so good. Partly bane/batman sewer fight mixed with more horror. Play some suspiria/interstellar church organ synths and just make it a horror scene as batman tries to hide

On the topic of this conversation, I've always felt that Superman was a hero that has always had a strong marketing towards women

A well adjusted, handsome every man with a steady job who has one of the most enduring and well known female side character in Lois Lane. Always an emphasis on the romantic instead of the more "wish fulfillment" relationships that Batman (James Bond esque) and Spider-man (nerd who has super models tripping over themselves to like him)

Has any other superhero had anything like "The Adventures of Lois and Clark" for example?

Hell, Singer says he made Superman Returns with a female audience in mind

On the topic of this conversation, I've always felt that Superman was a hero that has always had a strong marketing towards women

A well adjusted, handsome every man with a steady job who has one of the most enduring and well known female side character in Lois Lane. Always an emphasis on the romantic instead of the more "wish fulfillment" relationships that Batman (James Bond esque) and Spider-man (nerd who has super models tripping over themselves to like him)

Has any other superhero had anything like "The Adventures of Lois and Clark" for example?

I'll be interesting to see how the demographics break down.

Come to think of it, do we have any numbers like that for MoS?

I never understood this. What the hell does Spider Man get plastered on? I never see anything major. Not compared to Batman and Superman.

As a father of a young boy, I can confirm that Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are on everything you could possibly imagine for kids. You name it and it has Spider-Man or Batman on it. The Avengers are becoming much the same too.

It's official, Spiderman is for little boys!

You say that like it's a bad thing. Those boys turn into teenagers that get jobs and spend money and then grow into adults that spawn more young boys. It's genius.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As a father of a young boy, I can confirm that Spider-Man, Batman and Superman are on everything you could possibly imagine for kids. You name it and it has Spider-Man or Batman on it. The Avengers are becoming much the same too.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Those boys turn into teenagers that get jobs and spend money and then grow into adults that spawn more young boys. It's genius.

It's not necessarily a good thing. I have 2 boys and some of the stuff they are entertained by is straight up crap. Good for the bottom line at Marvel but not a sign of quality.

It's not necessarily a good thing. I have 2 boys and some of the stuff they are entertained by is straight up crap. Good for the bottom line at Marvel but not a sign of quality.

We're discussing iconic superheros and in regards to franchising especially. Nothing to do with quality. But just because they are everywhere, it doesn't mean it's a bad thing for quality.

It's the same with Batman and Superman. Everything you could think of has a Bat symbol on it. From kid's toys, undies, dressing gowns, toothbrushes to lunch boxes, bedding, backpacks etc. Let's not pretend that Marvel is doing anything different to DC here. It's a great idea to market at kids so that it'll stick with them for the rest of their lives.

To add to that Clark is often cast younger than Lois, and in their field Lois is the more accomplished of the two.

I give Donner credit for pushing it in that direction. When you recall Superman '78's iconic scenes, arguably the most famous is Superman sweeping Lois off her feet.

IconGrist

This is really nothing but thought I'd point it out. I liked Man of Steel a lot. My wife, who is not a comic book fan, loved it. She loved Lois, she loved Supes. She cried when Johnathan died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom