• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Gail Simone tweets are gone.. what with WB Ninjas? Simone got Cass and Katana on her side you one would think they'll protect her from WB Ninja (DC Ninjas > WB ninjas)

Also seems WB don't want anyone to talk about this movie at all. Ayer showing tons of Suicide Squad stuff = A-Ok, someone post vague hints about Batman v Superman = Shut down the internet.

To be fair, Ayer is showing us a lot and showing us nothing at all.

What has he shown us? Some of the comics he read.. when he was writing on it... the frames of the set... Jared Leto getting a haircut... cast members in their civvies.

It's a ton of cool BTS, but very little from the actual movie.

Effect

Gail Simone tweets are gone.. what with WB Ninjas? Simone got Cass and Katana on her side you one would think they'll protect her from WB Ninja (DC Ninjas > WB ninjas)

Also seems WB don't want anyone to talk about this movie at all. Ayer showing tons of Suicide Squad stuff = A-Ok, someone post vague hints about Batman v Superman = Shut down the internet.

What I'm getting from this, and I could be wrong, is that the marketing plan for Batman V Superman is most likely going to be massive and possibly extremely coordinated. It's looking like they don't want anything said at all that could possibly throw a wrench into that. Especially before Avengers has come out and had it's time in the spotlight. The fact that they're okay with Ayer doing what he's doing (even then he's not really telling us anything about the film's story, etc) but don't want a damn thing said about BvS that isn't coming directly from Snyder is telling. The whole production has been like that. We got extremely little from that as well. It's still impressive how little we know about this film and nothing of substance has leaked out about it.

strafer

Justice Kids

11078240_899857516748380_1446629105588256971_n.jpg

DaveH

I generally don't discuss Marvel films just as a way of budgeting my time, but I found this interview fascinating:

"How Age of Ultron Nearly Broke Joss Whedon" via Vulture, some quotes:

----

“[Avengers 2] is an odd film in some ways,” Whedon said. “We went to some strange places in this one, and making that work and making it flow and making it all feel like it's part of the same movie was difficult.”

“With so much at stake, there's gonna be friction,” Whedon acknowledged. “It's the Marvel way to sort of question everything. Sometimes, that's amazing. And sometimes” — and here Whedon growled his compliment through gritted teeth, the meaning clear — “that’s amazing.”

“There's one or two things that I'm unhappy about not having in [Avengers 2], but they're small,” said Whedon.

“When I watch [Avengers 1], I just see 'flaw, flaw, flaw, compromise, laziness, mistake,’” said Whedon. "The reason I set out to make another film is because I wanted to make one that was better...."

Though he gave his all to Age of Ultron, Whedon hasn’t been able to watch the final cut all the way through yet — “I tried,” said the typically hard-on-himself filmmaker, “and I had a terrible time” — but he’s heartened by the glowing reaction online from early press screenings. “Is it perfect? It is not,” said Whedon.

----

In context, Snyder isn't as transparent about the flaws he sees in his own films, but he does express frustration with his own inability to convey his intentions based on viewer response (particularly with Sucker Punch)... MoS was, in part, an answer to critics who viewed him as only being able to do stylized films filled with speed ramping and slow motion... however, BvS will be his first opportunity to go back and directly address criticisms within the same continuity... and that's without the loving reception The Avengers received.

A couple of points of distinction between Snyder and Whedon in terms of exhaustion and endurance. Whedon is more of a creator, having cult success with many original properties... Snyder has dabbled, but likely does not have the same ache to create original property, likely finding the canvas of the DCCU enough for now. For Whedon, it's more about paring down all the ideas in his head to do one, while for Snyder, it's about getting to work as much as possible. In terms of relative power, Whedon was able to work under Feige's heel but Snyder is practically in Feige's position at the WB with autonomy to exercise. Whedon gets separated from his family during filming and his family is relatively young. Snyder's family is older, his wife is by his side the entire time, and he incorporates his children into working on the film often. Whedon is only a year older and not unhealthy, but clearly Snyder puts a higher priority on keeping fit than Whedon. Both build lasting relationships with their actors who act as extended family on and off set.

Hopefully, these differences mean that Snyder is pouring / has poured his all into BvS and will have the passion to go the distance with Justice League.

Loxley

I think Court of Owls would make sense - it's a recent arch that was well-received and it deals with Batman as an older, more established hero. It would not shock me in the slightest if, in BVS, they do end up name-dropping Dick, Jason and Tim just to plant the seed that they're around in some fashion. Then they would make their first appearance in the Court of Owls adaption. Then follow that up with Under the Red Hood.

I'm trying to think of the other top-tier classic Batman stories, and most of them have been touched in one way or another. A Death in the Family would be difficult since we're assuming BvS would take place long after those events happened. We've gotten Knightfall, Year One, The Long Halloween, and now The Dark Knight Returns with BvS. The last major story that I can think of for them to cover is The Killing Joke. Which may be what they end up going with since they're probably going to want Leto's Joker to be the main antagonist for the first solo Batman film.

But hey there's always Hush right guys???

i think snyder's problem is he's an incredible visual director but when it comes to emotions and performances his films fall kinda flat.

man of steel had the best cast he's worked with yet but alas goyer had to mess up the script on that one.

now that he's continuing with a pretty impressive cast and a new scriptwriter we'll see what we have here. we all know he's gonna knock batman visuals out of the park but can he pull off the slower moments...

watchmen i thought rorschach and comedian were great but the rest of them were...scust.

I think Court of Owls would make sense - it's a recent arch that was well-received and it deals with Batman as an older, more established hero. It would not shock me in the slightest if, in BVS, they do end up name-dropping Dick, Jason and Tim just to plant the seed that they're around in some fashion. Then they would make their first appearance in the Court of Owls adaption. Then follow that up with Under the Red Hood.

I'm trying to think of the other top-tier classic Batman stories, and most of them have been touched in one way or another. A Death in the Family would be difficult since we're assuming BvS would take place long after those events happened. We've gotten Knightfall, Year One, The Long Halloween, and now The Dark Knight Returns with BvS. The last major story that I can think of for them to cover is The Killing Joke. Which may be what they end up going with since they're probably going to want Leto's Joker to be the main antagonist for the first solo Batman film.

But hey there's always Hush right guys???

Pls.

Pls no.

Most of the modern Scott Snyder stuff would work. Zero Year is the exception, but if you retooled it away from an origin story I could maybe see it flying. You'd have to lose a lot of what made it great, though.

Arkham Asylum or Arkham Origins as a story would be cool.

What movie adapted long halloween? Never felt like any Batman movies nailed mystery like that comic did.

That would probably turn into a shit show in the first 10 posts. The hate DC gets nowadays actually sours me from joining Marvel discussions. I watch all the movies, I loved the majority of them but I can't stand the fanbase. A friend of mine told me the other day that Daredevil is better than Suicide Squad could ever hope to be. Like that was somehow supposed to make sense. A show with 13 hours of character development versus a 2+ hour movie that, at the time of his comment, hadn't even started filming.

Being a fan is one thing but shit like that is on a whole other level.

I only see this online, but man, do I see a lot of it.

Every bit of potentially bad DC news gets spun as "Marvel always does it better" and how DC will "lose" to Marvel.

Can't I just enjoy them all for what they are?

Every bit of potentially bad DC news gets spun as "Marvel always does it better" and how DC will "lose" to Marvel.

*brofist*

I love all these properties. We're in a golden age right now and I want to enjoy everything. Sure, I have my favorites, but I will watch every damned one of them with a smile on my face.

Arkham Asylum or Arkham Origins as a story would be cool.

What movie adapted long halloween? Never felt like any Batman movies nailed mystery like that comic did.

A DickBats and Damien Wayne story inspired by Long Halloween. Let's write it.

#FuckBruce

It's weird man. I've met tons of people that only read Marvel books but most of my friends that like DC read Marvel and other publishing companies.

DC vs Marvel is stupid anyways. They need each other to be successful.

Penguin

I would say as a GAFfer and citizen of the internet, it extends beyond these two.

It's almost like people are incapable of enjoying two similar things at the same time.

I like the MCU so I must hate the DCCU.

I like sony so I must hate MS.

I like Star Wars so I must hate Star Trek.
Etc

A DickBats and Damien Wayne story inspired by Long Halloween. Let's write it.

#FuckBruce

It's weird man. I've met tons of people that only read Marvel books but most of my friends that like DC read Marvel and other publishing companies.

DC vs Marvel is stupid anyways. They need each other to be successful.

Long Halloween would be so good for a tv series or netflix series. Hard to adapt that to a movie when it takes place over such a long period of time.

But yeah, I see a lot of people wanting Court of the Owls for movies. Really hope they are in Arkham Knight or at least as DLC.

ryan299

Take this with a grain of salt, but Mayimbe just said Snyder is tweeting the first five seconds of the trailer Thursday before star wars celebration. Also trailer will be in front of Age of Ultron.

Boke1879

Take this with a grain of salt, but Mayimbe just said Snyder is tweeting the first five seconds of the trailer Thursday before star wars celebration. Also trailer will be in front of Age of Ultron.

Is the new Star Wars trailer going to be with Age of Ultron as well?

Imperial

Seeing the full trailer on the 20th and in front of Age of Ultron would be incredible.

I would say as a GAFfer and citizen of the internet, it extends beyond these two.

It's almost like people are incapable of enjoying two similar things at the same time.

I like the MCU so I must hate the DCCU.

I like sony so I must hate MS.

I like Star Wars so I must hate Star Trek.
Etc

Skub/Anti-Skub, no doubt about it.

But I feel that it's especially common in comic fans. I think it goes back to Marvel's early days where the self-hype and promotion was a big part of the culture.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Now if they don't release anything, he is gonna go all "they held back because I broke the news"

IconGrist

He tweeted afterwards...

Umberto Gonzalez @elmayimbe · 5m 5 minutes ago
Now that the secret is out. Let's see if they improvise or stick to it.

That pretty much kills its validity for me.

"I said it but now they could change it."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
He tweeted afterwards...

Umberto Gonzalez @elmayimbe · 5m 5 minutes ago
Now that the secret is out. Let's see if they improvise or stick to it.

That pretty much kills its validity for me.

"I said it but now they could change it."

lol knew it.

Maddocks

hope its true. star wars trailer and batman v superman infront of the movie. hype overload. Wearing my batman shirt to avengers just incase.

2YFfur1.gif

Love the games but aside from some of origins those stories are a mess. Red Hood would be a really cool intro to batman. It allows for some joker and a brand new villain not done yet

Not so much a direct adaption but I like the basis for each story. Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum or Batman being hunted down by his rogue's gallery would be a cool movie, especially after suicide squad explores a little bit of Arkham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom