• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
If you look at Batman's Powerarmor it's not pristine, it has scratches on the Helmet, he's used it before which would mean he did not build it specifically for Superman....
2015-04-1800_55_15-bakmu4h.png

Looks like a talon scratched it up pretty bad.

Yes, the text is cyrillic, the letters despite looking english are something else, but it's the Russian Cosmonaut program.

You can actually see the rocket bend under Superman's hands. Ahhh soo much to explore. I enjoyed, but wasn't blown away, by this trailer first viewing... but on repeat with high res it's many layers are coming out. I'm loving it at this point.

With the soldiers... on super high res you can see Superman's face and it's practically evil... he's pretty unhappy. Whether at these soldiers or because he's playing a role in the context of this scene.

I'm still working, frame by frame, audio by audio through this thing... one thing I noticed on super hires is that there appear to be names on the spotlighted walls around the Superman monument... perhaps in honor of those lost during the Black Zero Event in Metropolis?
My speculation is that the scene with Superman during the Day of the Dead, with the bowing soldiers, and with him holding up the missile, is Lex imagining what would happen if this alien god among men decided to assert his will on mankind

They all have a yellow-ish filter, stylized, and the situations fit nicely with the common mindset of Lex in the comics

Yeah it could be a number of things, the only one I doubt is that superman approves of if.

LIke you said it could be a Lex scene kind of like Zodd and Clark in the mountain of skulls in MoS. Could also be a paramilitary fanatic group, the place they're in looks a bit run down.

Loxley

This was a very well done teaser - it asks a lot of questions but answers practically none. I think a lot of people in that trailer thread are forgetting this movie is *still* practically a year away from release. Patience, people.

- First off, Larry Fong is back and thank God. No more shaky-cam, and that teaser had some beautiful cinematography.
- I like that the film's plot isn't really clear at all at the moment. We've known for a while that Snyder was going to take inspiration from the Dark Knight Returns, but it's obvious they're crafting their own story.
- I'm in the camp right now that thinks the Super-Nazis (or whatever were calling them) are part of some sort of dream/fantasy sequence.
- I like that Snyder and Co. Are doubling down on their own style for these films. As with Man of Steel, BVS doesn't just look like WB are copying the squeaky-clean look and feel of the MCU.
- The modulated voice sounds pretty good. I'm curious if it's only in the anti-Superman armor.
- Superman's slightly revised costume with the increased muscle definition looks great. Especially in that shot where he's lifting the Russian rocket/satellite, the costume doesn't look flat anymore :D
- This is, in my opinion, the best Batman has looked on screen. I mean, holy shit is that costume perfect.
- Jeremy Irons already has me convinced he'll be a great Alfred.

This was a very well done teaser - it asks a lot of questions but answers practically none. I think a lot of people in that trailer thread are forgetting this movie is *still* practically a year away from release. Patience, people.

- First off, Larry Fong is back and thank God. No more shaky-cam, and that teaser had some beautiful cinematography.

Yes, very striking difference.

A detail I picked up on the HD trailer, the Superman statue is sporting the S-curl.

Internet: "Batman V Superman trailer is too dark and gritty! It sucks!"

Internet: "Daredevil is really dark and gritty! It's awesome!"

oh my god this is an actual thing now

Does Superman have a long history of dark and gritty stories? No. Does Daredevil? Yes.

Is Daredevil intended to set the tone for the next half-decade of Marvel Studios films? No. Is BvS? Yes, from what I can tell.

Now, opinions are opinions, you have a right to think that this trailer is genius, but it's beyond inane to think that this is some great example of hypocrisy.

DaveH

Does Superman have a long history of dark and gritty stories?
By now? Yes, definitely. He probably has more dark gritty stories now than Batman did before Tim Burton's Batman in 1989 (Miller's Dark Knight Returns published in 1986).

I take your point, but pretending Superman hasn't been there and back in the past 30 years is crazy.

The realism aspect actually has me more excited for the other DCU movies. I want to see how people will react to Flash and Shazam and all these other exciting characters showing up out of thin air.

Before the trailer I was a bit disappointed there was no JSA or super heroes before Superman, but seeing how people are reacting to Superman in their universe makes up for it.

Penguin

Does Superman have a long history of dark and gritty stories? No. Does Daredevil? Yes.

Is Daredevil intended to set the tone for the next half-decade of Marvel Studios films? No. Is BvS? Yes, from what I can tell.

Now, opinions are opinions, you have a right to think that this trailer is genius, but it's beyond inane to think that this is some great example of hypocrisy.

Is it though?

I mean it seems like Suicide Squad will be diff

Seems like Flash will be diff
And Shazam

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This movie has Batman in it, yeah if people were excepting Richard Donner style and 60s Batman then I don't know what to say.

Also there are many super popular dark Superman comic in the past.

Internet: "Batman V Superman trailer is too dark and gritty! It sucks!"

Internet: "Daredevil is really dark and gritty! It's awesome!"

So freaking true. I see many on my twitter did this they were happy about the "dark and gritty" Daredevil and even mocking Flash for its cheese. now they pulled a 180 and dark and gritty is bad.

they didn't hire the jump street guys to write flash into a snyder-esque film

One would certainly think that, but Snyder/Terrio are getting to introduce and define these characters first. I'd love to be proven wrong here.

So freaking true. I see many on my twitter did this they were happy about the "dark and gritty" Daredevil and even mocking Flash for it's cheese. mow they pulled a 180 and dark and gritty is bad.

More like Batman v Strawman, amirite?

ReiGun

One would certainly think that, but Snyder/Terrio are getting to introduce and define these characters first. I'd love to be proven wrong here.

More like Batman v Strawman, amirite?

Is it really a strawman if he actually saw people doing it. Then it's like, an actual man. Of not straw.

Is it really a strawman if he actually saw people doing it. Then it's like, an actual man. Of not straw.

Yes, that totally sounds like an objective, non-exaggerated summary of actual tweets sent by actual people.

Are there stupid Marvel fanboys out there? Of course. There are fanboys with terrible opinions of every stripe. But the supposed example of hypocrisy here is just dumb; it is entirely possible to simultaneously like Daredevil and dislike this trailer for tonal reasons, without being a Marvel-can-do-no-wrong fanboy or a hypocrite.

Vyer

Both seem to be following their source material pretty well, which is 'dark and gritty' in both cases.

ReiGun

Yes, that totally sounds like an objective, non-exaggerated summary of actual tweets sent by actual people.

Are there stupid Marvel fanboys out there? Of course. There are fanboys with terrible opinions of every stripe. But the supposed example of hypocrisy here is just dumb; it is entirely possible to simultaneously like Daredevil and dislike this trailer for tonal reasons, without being a Marvel-can-do-no-wrong fanboy or a hypocrite.

Absolutely. It's also possible to just be a hypocrite and like one or the other based on the company in question. Totobeni would know better than we do which group the folks on his/her twitter fall into, no? Seems weird to call someone out on building a strawman from a little personal anecdote, is all.

One can always hope.

Faraci, who claims to have seen the script, says there is definitely fun moments in BvS.

I think the way they cut the trailer intentionally makes it look super dark. I doubt we'll get anything "darker" than MoS. They're hyping up the Bat vs Superman "fight" but I'm guessing it won't last longer than a few minutes.

Mario007

Faraci, who claims to have seen the script, says there is definitely fun moments in BvS.

I think the way they cut the trailer intentionally makes it look super dark. I doubt we'll get anything "darker" than MoS. They're hyping up the Bat vs Superman "fight" but I'm guessing it won't last longer than a few minutes.

I mean it's a trailer for a movie. Are we forgetting the first Avengers Age of Ultron trailer which was pretty damn dark or the Ironman 3 trailers which basically made it look like a completely different movie?

jett

D-Member
I mean it's a trailer for a movie. Are we forgetting the first Avengers Age of Ultron trailer which was pretty damn dark or the Ironman 3 trailers which basically made it look like a completely different movie?

What are you talking about? Look how FUN and totally not-serious this trailer is! Look at the colors! I totally don't notice the sepia/pee-colored filter in an attempt to make the movie appear to be "grimdark" either. I count at least a dozen jokes in there, too.

Penguin

It's nice that we have something new and major to talk about!

Sure the teaser will be dissected for months as we wait for any more morsels.

Oh, it probably will be better than MoS in that regard. But that's not a high bar to clear.

And I didn't care much for those trailers, either. I suspect this one represents the film's tone more accurately.

yeah I'm a victim of IM3.

Received a completely different movie than what I was shown, and that makes it a lot worse for me than any other MCU movie. I didn't even know the hell Mandarin was before I saw the movie and I left disappointed because of how bad the real villain was.

I really hope
Doomsday is the main villain as per rumors. After reading Death of Superman I could see the trinity working together to try to control him and put him down. I don't care much for Metallo and Brainiac would be wasted on this film. Doomsday is pretty much a symbol for destruction and doesn't really need an origin to work effectively. I think it would be great storytelling to see the trinity working together to contain him and prevent casualties.

Penguin

Can't really find it, but the Comic Con trailer... is that part of this scene or was that dressed up?

I thought Bats was nice to a bat signal and Superman was in a diff location, but doesn't seem to be exactly where they are in the teaser since no signal

Loxley

Can't really find it, but the Comic Con trailer... is that part of this scene or was that dressed up?

I thought Bats was nice to a bat signal and Superman was in a diff location, but doesn't seem to be exactly where they are in the teaser since no signal

Yeah, that Comic-Con footage was either made specifically for Comic-Con or it takes place place a different point in the Batman/Superman confrontation scene.

My guess is the former, as I can't see a point in having Batman and Superman silently stare each other down from the same angles twice in the same scene.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Maybe, y'know, some people actually, genuinely didn't like Man of Steel, and actually, genuinely don't like what they've seen/heard of this film, and aren't out to get the DCCU out of some tribal fanboy affiliation with Marvel.

Just a thought.

3N16MA

Banned
Crazy how the reaction to Affleck in this role has done a 180. He had a few seconds of screen time as Bruce where he didn't utter a single word and said a few words as Batman.

Goes to show how superficial and ridiculous much of the criticism was. Were people really afraid he wasn't going to look like Bruce Wayne? Were they afraid he wouldn't look good in a batsuit? The guy looks like he walked straight off the pages of a comic or animated show before he signed on. He looks more like Wayne than any other actor before him.

Still interested to see how well he pulls off Bruce. Bale did a better Bruce than he did Batman.

Penguin

Maybe, y'know, some people actually, genuinely didn't like Man of Steel, and actually, genuinely don't like what they've seen/heard of this film, and aren't out to get the DCCU out of some tribal fanboy affiliation with Marvel.

Just a thought.

Oh trust me, it's not hard to forget people dislike Man of Steel.

They seem to remind you whenever any new movie comes out.

But you also can't deny that there are some double standards between the two companies and fans online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom