• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

Dwayne Johnson says Shazam might come earlier than predicted as the script is coming in...

How does DC not toss a gag order at this guy? I love hearing about it but I can't imagine DC being happy with him being so open about the project.

IconGrist

Dwayne Johnson says Shazam might come earlier than predicted as the script is coming in...

How does DC not toss a gag order at this guy? I love hearing about it but I can't imagine DC being happy with him being so open about the project.

It's Rock. He'd Rock Bottom all of WB's ninjas. They aren't going to mess with him.

NMsFs1rl.jpg

Pretty cool idea.

ReiGun

I figured as much, considering how early he was cast. I expect either Aquaman or the Flash to be pushed back.

He said it again recently?

They probably don't care so much. I'd imagine the scheduling is dependent on newline rather than other movies. Makes me pretty excited, love to see Shazam in Justice League part 2 if he gets positive reception

edit: Only see his initial statements. Comic con should be interesting, I don't think anything past 2018 is rock solid at this point.

Maddocks

I think WB/DC doesn't gag order the rock because they know he is the rock. They know he is passionate about it and if he is open about the project and shows how passionate he is then the fans will be excited more for it.

Yeah that seems to make a little more sense, BvS doesn't need attention so a lot of info about it is suppressed, but Suicide Squad and Shazam seem to have a little more space in what they can do. I mean Squad just started shooting and we have full cast costumes. We barely even know what Lex, Jimmy or anyone that isn't the Trinity looks like for BvS and that's been done for a year.

wooha.

The first trailer (what we got was a teaser) should show Wonder Woman in this badass cape.

you prefer 48fps or can't tell the difference between 24 and 48fps? 48fps look really awful.

The latter. I'm a rebel.

Also, we really do need to start getting past this "more than 24 fps looks cheap" thing.

a916

With Infinity War being filmed in it's entirety in IMAX, can we pretty much assume Snyder will do Justice League 1+2 entirely in IMAX as well? After Nolan I can't think of anyone else who loves IMAX as much as Snyder.

DaveH

With Infinity War being filmed in it's entirety in IMAX, can we pretty much assume Snyder will do Justice League 1+2 entirely in IMAX as well? After Nolan I can't think of anyone else who loves IMAX as much as Snyder.
IMAX is a brand. The IMAX that Nolan, Snyder, and Abrams is shooting with is a film camera. The IMAX that Infinity War is being shot with is a digital camera.

Despite the same brand, the actual product is different... how much, remains to be seen, but the fact that someone is shooting in IMAX (film) today would tend to prejudice them against IMAX (digital) tomorrow, I think.

Digital vs. film is a big long debate that isn't easily answered with resolution or just a brand name for the people with the money and the power to still shoot film (much less the luxury of IMAX film). For most others, they don't really have a real choice and digital is just much more pragmatic on many levels.

The IMAX cameras most are familiar with are extremely expensive, weigh a shot ton, and make a lot of noise. That's why most films only use it for big set pieces. The IMAX cameras that are mentioned in that press release.are digital. Very different animal.

a916

The IMAX cameras most are familiar with are extremely expensive, weigh a shot ton, and make a lot of noise. That's why most films only use it for big set pieces. The IMAX cameras that are mentioned in that press release.are digital. Very different animal.

Is Snyder in love with film vs digital... or the big aspect ratio?

Yeah, but that was more a permutation of IMAX+Weightlifting, wasn't it?

For that picture yeah, but when it comes to IMAX (film) cameras, there are only a few in existence, so IMAX has a group that selects which directors get to use them. For Snyder to be one, I image he has to really be about film, or at least of campaigned really hard to get them.

Imperial

Info about Scoot McNairy's role in BvS from el mayimbe:

Yes. Bruce Wayne's assistant/right hand man. However won't spoil about his legs. Clue: It's in Man of Steel. #scoop

@elmayimbe #askElMayimbe is there any villain other than Lex Luthor in BvS?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
is there a better/bigger version of this? (WW classic crossed arms pose)

elWZyCZ.jpg

BvS better get her reflect Supes beams like this.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Info about Scoot McNairy's role in BvS from el mayimbe:

Yes. Bruce Wayne's assistant/right hand man. However won't spoil about his legs. Clue: It's in Man of Steel. #scoop

@elmayimbe #askElMayimbe is there any villain other than Lex Luthor in BvS?

The hell does he means about being in MoS?

AoU gross (720* million WW so far) has me a bit concerned for the future of super hero movies as a whole, and that WB is going to be late to the game. AoU is by no means a failure but no growth for what seemingly was a well marketed movie makes me wonder what went wrong, hopefully not general audience fatigue. I don't buy into the boxing fight cutting into sales this much either.

DaveH

Inherent in the "it's all connected" philosophy is a certain barrier to entry- whether perceived or actual- and when there are people who find the six movies of Star Wars or even the three Lord of the Rings movies to be too much of a time commitment... it's not surprising people are willing to wait for AoU. With those times of films you're always going to cannibalize your audience some.

If you haven't watched at 27+ hours of content first, you're willing to wait, and if you're willing to wait, you can avoid the crowds and watch AoU when you're ready. AoU doesn't really include a significant end-of-movie spoilers that push those who watched it to evangelize it either; "You HAVE to watch this so we can talk about it! Do it! Do it NOW!"

I think the interest is there, just not the same kind of intensity.

The WB doesn't have "phases" but you could call everything up to and including Justice League an event film... plus everything we've seen from BvS and Suicide Squad shows the WB isn't afraid to mix up tone and takes, so each film still has an element of surprise. People don't know what they're going to get like they do with the more house-styled MCU films.

In other words, the WB is just treating the films like films... which is why their expectations are in check and they're not panicking... they're just doing their own thing like they always have done.

AoU gross (720* million WW so far) has me a bit concerned for the future of super hero movies as a whole, and that WB is going to be late to the game. AoU is by no means a failure but no growth for what seemingly was a well marketed movie makes me wonder what went wrong, hopefully not general audience fatigue. I don't buy into the boxing fight cutting into sales this much either.

I think this is where you'll see DC's willingness to do things differently, especially in terms of tone, turn into a strength. If all they were offering was more movies in Marvel's mold, then yeah, they'd be pretty much fucked.

Yeah it helps reinforce the idea of what their president said about the direction of both comic film studios being different.

I'm really only concerned about the smaller films. The big tentpoles like Batman, Superman, JL and BvS will be fine, other films I'm worried won't be enticing enough to draw audiences in.

Curious what the budgets and studio expectations are for Aquaman & WW.

I also agree with the sentiment that the films won't be strictly dependent on each other, and that's fine with me. I felt the infinity stone thing detracted from an already overfilled movie in Age of Ultron and was kind of hamfisted, like the thanos scenes that are becoming a bit meaningless at this point. Each film should feel like its own story rather than "filler" to a bigger plot.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah it helps reinforce the idea of what their president said about the direction of both comic film studios being different.

I'm really only concerned about the smaller films. The big tentpoles like Batman, Superman, JL and BvS will be fine, other films I'm worried won't be enticing enough to draw audiences in.

Curious what the budgets and studio expectations are for Aquaman & WW.

I also agree with the sentiment that the films won't be strictly dependent on each other, and that's fine with me. I felt the infinity stone thing detracted from an already overfilled movie in Age of Ultron and was kind of hamfisted, like the thanos scenes that are becoming a bit meaningless at this point. Each film should feel like its own story rather than "filler" to a bigger plot.
Likewise. I really hope they don't hold back because Atlantis will require a ton of CG money. As long as BvS and SS do well it shouldn't be a problem.

Loxley

With all this art coming out, I really hope they merchandise the hell out of Wonder Woman.

I think they'd be fools not to at this point. Hopefully WB won't have the same "Superheroes are a boy-thing" mentality that Disney does and will go all-out with the Wonder Woman merch.

I think they'd be fools not to at this point. Hopefully WB won't have the same "Superheroes are a boy-thing" mentality that Disney does and will go all-out with the Wonder Woman merch.

I read that the issue is that Disney doesn't want to cannibalize the market. They rather you bought the Princess merch. No idea if it's true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom