• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

I think they'd be fools not to at this point. Hopefully WB won't have the same "Superheroes are a boy-thing" mentality that Disney does and will go all-out with the Wonder Woman merch.

They'd be leaving so much money on the table not putting WW on as many products as Superman and Batman. They really would be stupid not to do it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TUvMnPoh.jpg

This is just amazing. bracelets looks great (hope she go God-mode when removing them like the new52) also unlike the other WW art we got, they used Gal Gadot face for this art.

ReiGun

I still can't get over how that blatantly obvious filter had people thinking Wonder Woman's suit was actually brown.

Like, in the Carnival of Stupid that is superhero movie discussion, that is the one moment I was actually...disappointed in people.

Also, the obsession with "crow eating" and "salt" has to stop. It won't, but I'd really like it if it did.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
lol, riiiiiight.

A lot of people are down on Gal but it hasn't been overwhelmingly negative from what I've seen, just a lot of "wait and see" or generally unsure attitudes.

nah. it's very bad, it's more than just super negative. Every thread about her usually turn into a lol/hate/anger ..lets post photo of women bodybuilders carnival

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015993
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862411
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728287

From the "lol she can't act in Fast movies" to "she is super skinny, Wonder Woman should be a 300lb UFC fighter" to the "where is my Jaimie alexander"..ect and not only in GAF, even in Youtube it's mostly really just pure negativity, you have AMC's John Campea trolling her everytime someone talk about Wonder Woman, you have Grace Randolph and even DC hardcore fan like Angry Joe. the Gal anger and negativity crazy and no wonder that Gadot stopped posting on Twitter now. I'm in "lets support her for now and see what she can do first, if she turn to be really bad in BvS then ask Zack/WB to replace her" team (WB will do that themselves if she turn awful anyway)

guek

Banned
nah. it's very bad, it's more than just super negative. Every thread about her usually turn into a lol/hate/anger ..lets post photo of women bodybuilders carnival

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015993
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862411
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728287

From the "lol she can't act in Fast movies" to "she is super skinny, Wonder Woman should be a 300lb UFC fighter" to the "where is my Jaimie alexander"..ect and not only in GAF, even in Youtube it's mostly really just pure negativity, you have AMC's John Campea trolling her everytime someone talk about Wonder Woman, you have Grace Randolph and even DC hardcore fan like Angry Joe. the Gal anger and negativity crazy and no wonder that Gadot stopped posting on Twitter now. I'm in "lets support her for now and see what she can do first, if she turn to be really bad in BvS then ask Zack/WB to replace her" team (WB will do that themselves if she turn awful anyway)

There looks to be quite a lot of positive comments in those threads as well. The body shaming and shitposts are certainly there, I wont argue that, it just hasn't seemed overwhelmingly only negative. I haven't really kept up with any of the commentary from youtubers or the like though so if it's as bad you say, that's a real shame. I'm willing to wait and see her in action before making any sort of judgement. In spite of all of my criticisms of Snyder's work, I'll admit he does visuals and costuming exceptionally well so I definitely think she'll at least look the part.

Sambrez_

Not sure if it has been linked but there's an interview of Cavill : http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-...-epousera-le-point-de-vue-des-humains-4177321

It's in french and not so much new infos but basically :

- BvS is not considered as a Superman sequel, but it's definitely a MoS one
- MoS was taking the pov of the Alien, BvS will take the humans one
- The film will deal with the destruction of Metropolis
- It's a prequel to Justice League
- As we seen in the teaser, there are mixed reactions to the Superman presence
- He signed for 3 movies total, so his next is JL : Part 1, but he's interrested to play it again a long time

DaveH

Not sure if it has been linked but there's an interview of Cavill : http://www.premiere.fr/Cinema/News-...-epousera-le-point-de-vue-des-humains-4177321
Thanks for the link! (via Google Translate Interview by François Léger for Premiere):

The trailer for Man of Steel was very exciting but according to many fans, the film has not kept its promises. Should we be afraid that the same thing happens with Batman v Superman?

Do not be afraid. Because it's a very different film. And the origin stories are always a headache, especially that of Superman. There is talk of a character which we can not identify, is still someone who does not blink in the wind blows him on the face. When you see it on screen, you feel away from it unconsciously. But Batman v Superman marries much more human view point, while Man of Steel was conducted from the alien perspective. So it will be much easier to feel involved as a spectator.

Batman V Superman has a lot of pressure on his shoulders: to develop Superman, Batman to introduce a new public, teaser Justice League ...

Batman V Superman is an introduction to the character of Batman. It's not a sequel of Superman, but this is obviously a result of Man of Steel. The consequences of the massive destruction that occurred during the fight against Zod will be discussed. It is also a prequel Justice League which takes place in the universe Man of Steel has initiated. These are the beginnings of new characters, a group. Superman is of course part of this world, it is one of the pillars.

According to the teaser, Superman will be somewhere between a fallen god and object of worship.

Imagine Superman really exists and that a city is destroyed because of his own existence. How do you feel? Some live very poorly, but others say that it is Jesus, the Messiah has returned. It would be the devil to some people and runaway alien for others. It would govern in so many different ways. This is what we want to show in Batman v Superman: there is no universal reaction to something as strong. And it's very interesting to explore.

How many films have you signed?

Still, Justice League . And I hope there will be renegotiated next.

Want to continue playing this character for a long time?

Of course! This is what Superman!

=======================

My thoughts... I have no idea on the reputation of Premiere... I know their USA / NY version shut down earlier this year... I have no reason to suspect the interview other than the fact Cavill's probably giving longer answers here than he has with any other outlet at any other event. Maybe the interviewer was just pushy enough or maybe Cavill was just in a loquacious mood right then and there. I think it's a legit interview, just taking it with the tiniest grain of salt because its a foreign language interview translated twice over (Cavill gave his answers in English, translated to French, then back to English via Google Translate), from an outlet I'm not familiar with, where Cavill is talking more than normal, that's all.

The interviewer's first question is pretty confrontational! However, Cavill gives a great answer. MoS was trying to treat an alien first-contact as relatable while setup all the traditional trappings- the origin story- of Superman... but now that we've got it all established we can get into the humanity of all the characters. I like the idea of the viewer "involved as a spectator" since MoS was more journalistic in its approach, objective almost to its detriment, whereas BvS is going to give viewers more of a voice in the story, with characters likely representing their different positions and views.

The interviewer's second question is nearly as bad. If his first question was, "Your first movie wasn't as people hoped" his second is "The hopes rested on this second film are higher still." Jeez. Cavill still answers well giving the framework for how the film builds on the past and fits into the world... and how Superman fits in it.

I agree totally with Cavill's third answer, both that there isn't a single monolithic reaction and the range is really interesting to explore.

Lastly, he doesn't say "Justice League Part 1" so I don't know if somehow his contract ropes him into doing both if they're shot / produced together, but it sounds like they DIDN'T renegotiate his contract before publishing their 5-year DCCU slate... which is surprising to me but not altogether bad news. It just means that Cavill will get more money down the road... hopefully, a reasonable amount and his representation doesn't hold the DCCU hostage (like Downey basically did) though, tightening purse-strings elsewhere and harming the DCCU. I think his enthusiasm to keep playing the role means they'll reach a fair agreement.

IconGrist

Thanks for the link! (via Google Translate Interview by François Léger for Premiere):

The trailer for Man of Steel was very exciting but according to many fans, the film has not kept its promises. Should we be afraid that the same thing happens with Batman v Superman?

Do not be afraid. Because it's a very different film. And the origin stories are always a headache, especially that of Superman. There is talk of a character which we can not identify, is still someone who does not blink in the wind blows him on the face. When you see it on screen, you feel away from it unconsciously. But Batman v Superman marries much more human view point, while Man of Steel was conducted from the alien perspective. So it will be much easier to feel involved as a spectator.

Batman V Superman has a lot of pressure on his shoulders: to develop Superman, Batman to introduce a new public, teaser Justice League ...

Batman V Superman is an introduction to the character of Batman. It's not a sequel of Superman, but this is obviously a result of Man of Steel. The consequences of the massive destruction that occurred during the fight against Zod will be discussed. It is also a prequel Justice League which takes place in the universe Man of Steel has initiated. These are the beginnings of new characters, a group. Superman is of course part of this world, it is one of the pillars.

According to the teaser, Superman will be somewhere between a fallen god and object of worship.

Imagine Superman really exists and that a city is destroyed because of his own existence. How do you feel? Some live very poorly, but others say that it is Jesus, the Messiah has returned. It would be the devil to some people and runaway alien for others. It would govern in so many different ways. This is what we want to show in Batman v Superman: there is no universal reaction to something as strong. And it's very interesting to explore.

How many films have you signed?

Still, Justice League . And I hope there will be renegotiated next.

Want to continue playing this character for a long time?

Of course! This is what Superman!

Cavill has always come off as very enthused about being Superman. I'm glad he's willing to go for it as long as he can. The way he explains BvS in comparison to MoS is top notch as well.

Sambrez_

Premiere is a good french cinema magazine. One of the best in france with Studio Ciné Live, so I would not doubt about this interview.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
3 movie deal for Cavill? yet they got Margot Robbie for 10 years...

*jump to conclusions*

I guess Superman will die in Justice League (fighting Doomsday?), this explains why there is no Man of Steel 2 in WB/DC lineup.

;_;

I like the legacy idea being thrown around.

They could also do a Death of Superman and have him come out of the restoration matrix a new actor.

I'd prefer a COIE if they ever want to do a mass replacement for their heroes. Old cast + new cast in a multiverse battle against something like anti monitor.

I'd rather they keep Cavill. I think we're kinda jumping to conclusions, but if a recast is the case, BvS is kinda is last chance to shine and show why he deserves to be there.

3 movie deal for Cavill? yet they got Margot Robbie for 10 years...

*jump to conclusions*

I guess Superman will die in Justice League (fighting Doomsday?), this explains why there is no Man of Steel 2 in WB/DC lineup.

;_;

while man from uncle is looking awesome I don't think cavill is popping off enough to afford to leave this role after 2 more movies. unless he's sick of playing superman by the time it's over I don't think there's any risk of him leaving.

Oh, I wasn't actually speculating that Cavill would drop. I think WB pays their actors enough to keep them coming back. Really hinges on the critical/financial success of Justice League. I'm convinced BvS will sell a ton.

So far as I can tell, Henry Cavill's wanted to do two things his entire life

1) Be Superman
2) Be James Bond

I don't see him walking from the former unless it's directly to the latter.

a916

So far as I can tell, Henry Cavill's wanted to do two things his entire life

1) Be Superman
2) Be James Bond

I don't see him walking from the former unless it's directly to the latter.

Why not both....

I wonder if Junkie XL will make the Wonder Woman theme music or that will be Zimmer.

Why not both...

But seriously, zero doubt in my mind Junkie XL is capable of doing the Batman theme, his Mad Max work is undeniably amazing.

Everyone but Batman is Zimmer, he has confirmed he's scoring all of the Justice League character's themes. Wonder where that leaves Shazam and possibly GL if he's not in JL.

Ahasverus

I rewatched TDK yesterday (God bless that movie). I noticed that, if not a dramatic moment, the dialogue is full on (subtle) humor. Fox dialogue, Alfred dialogue, Gordon-Dent and Bruce-Dent. It's not full "laugh now" humor but it's very quirky. i was actually surprised. That's good, the drama punches harder that way. Then I thought about MoS and I remembered every bit of dialogue is a shakesperean tirade. All the time. And the few humor is visual.

So yeah, well, there is your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom