• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the trailer at least 40 times, does anyone know whether the music is from something else or just written for this trailer? It is amazing, hope Zimmer (and Junkie XL) knocks it out of the park (again). If anything the OST might be the best thing about this movie.

Watched the trailer at least 40 times, does anyone know whether the music is from something else or just written for this trailer? It is amazing, hope Zimmer (and Junkie XL) knocks it out of the park (again). If anything the OST might be the best thing about this movie.

Believe Junkie XL said it was created specifically for the trailer.

On unknown roles, a pair of old rumors are in circulation again.
Scoot McNairy as Jimmy Olsen and Callan Mulvey as KG Beast working for Lex Luthor.

Penguin

And now someone else teasing being a GL?

https://twitter.com/LanceGross/status/627640223145586689

https://instagram.com/p/53Hl9vj-WS

2013_0409_Crisis_Bio_Lance-Gross_900x900_AC.jpg

ryan299

On unknown roles, a pair of old rumors are in circulation again.
Scoot McNairy as Jimmy Olsen and Callan Mulvey as KG Beast working for Lex Luthor.

I heard Mayimbe say that. Looks like Scoot is in the trailer at the beginning in the court room scene. Mayimbe has been real miss lately. Before
Olson
he said Scoot was playing Bruce Wayne's assistant.

a916

There's a couple roles that DC cannot at all mess up... Flash/Cyborg/Aquaman not being any of them... but if they mess up Green Lantern again, oh man... so I would go for the safest approach for fear of further alienating that character from the mainstream. I can't speak of him because I haven't seen how talented he is, but it seems out of left field.

One thing I would not put too much stock into any Green Lantern cast news... it's the Green Lantern Corps. Tyrese or anyone else attached to it could be playing random Green Lantern 43 for all we know.

Google, "how to Henry Cavill look like him body"

Yeah I want to believe the standing ovation part :p.

I'm sure they're still touching up a lot of the effects but for the most part the movie is complete. The score was finished a while back.

Penguin

I feel like Man of Steel was giving a standing O in a similar report...

Anyhow, kind of feeding flames to the fire... Ben Affleck has had two of his movies pushed back.

Dedication to the Bat?

Ahasverus

I feel it's the same situation as Leto going for the Joker, passionate artists will stand up for the challenge of living up and even surpassing a past lauded work, I'm sure Leto took the Joker because he knew it was going to be a challenge to replace Ledger, something that would give him pride and an exciting reason to take a risk (plus vanity), and so I think Affleck might be tempted to make a batman trilogy so that it coud stand toe to toe with Christopher Nolan, proving himself an A tier director in whatever circumstances.

Ahasverus

I feel like every Warner Bros. movie is given a standing ovation when screened before release. The same exact thing happened with the Dark Knight Rises.
The ending of TDKR was great though. It brought the feels. And it is a great movie that only flails when being microscopically analyzed.

You gotta take into account that these are not only movies for them, it's their painstakingly made work.

I'll be extremely pleased if it can stand in the same tier as TDKR.

I can understand the complaints about MoS, even though I like the film. TDKR nit picks come across as petty.

I feel like every Warner Bros. movie is given a standing ovation when screened before release. The same exact thing happened with the Dark Knight Rises.

I have a mental image of a bunch of WB executives patting each other on the back and clapping after the screening :p.

I rewatched MOS with a friend who is a Superman fan but after all the bad feedback decided not to watch it. It's taken him this long and the recent trailers to make him even consider watching it. He came away baffled by the lynching the film received. It's a good film. Not great, not terrible. Good.

Ninjimbo

TDK and TDKR are basically perfect in my book. Nolan did not disappoint me.

I freaking love those two movies.
Same. Everyone I know loved TDKR. When I read all the hate for it on various forums, I was completely surprised. I still am to a degree. It's a damn good movie and a really great ending for Batman.

I rewatched MOS with a friend who is a Superman fan but after all the bad feedback decided not to watch it. It's taken him this long and the recent trailers to make him even consider watching it. He came away baffled by the lynching the film received. It's a good film. Not great, not terrible. Good.

Yep. It was a negativity bandwagon. Laughable really to any superman fan with any up to date knowledge of the character.

Glass

Yep. It was a negativity bandwagon. Laughable really to any superman fan with any up to date knowledge of the character.

Thanks for speaking for everyone, but no. How does an up to date knowledge of the character make up for that script? If its so good, why did everyone breathe a collective sigh of relief to hear BvS has a different writer?

Ahasverus

MoS' story was cool and the themes were interesting, it spent lots of time developing the character which is a welcome change for most cbms, but the actual delivery could have been better.

strafer

It really pisses me off how they added a GL joke in the Deadpool trailer. It was an enjoyable movie and Ryan was actually a decent Hal. Would have loved to see him return.

But I guess that ship has sailed. Instead he does a Deathstroke wannabe.

Thanks for speaking for everyone, but no. How does an up to date knowledge of the character make up for that script? If its so good, why did everyone breathe a collective sigh of relief to hear BvS has a different writer?

There were legitimate reasons to dislike the movie, but the VAST majority of the hate bandwagon that movie has received have been from people making nonsensical points about the the city destruction, Superman/Clark's character traits, etc. You can't deny that.

Compbros

I am a huge Superman fan, I have read hundreds of issues of the comics including most of the New 52 stuff. I HATED MoS because it wasn't a good Superman film. If it's a good film or not is up for debate, it was a horrendous Superman film.

IconGrist

I am a huge Superman fan, I have read hundreds of issues of the comics including most of the New 52 stuff. I HATED MoS because it wasn't a good Superman film. If it's a good film or not is up for debate, it was a horrendous Superman film.

I think that's where the problem is. MoS isn't really a Superman film. When most people think of Superman they think of veteran Superman. This movie never gave you veteran Superman. We got first day on the job no idea what he's doing Superman.

Outside of some questionable choices in the script I, as a huge Superman fan, thought the movie was really good overall. I never at any point thought they failed in their characterization of him.

Compbros

I think that's where the problem is. MoS isn't really a Superman film. When most people think of Superman they think of veteran Superman. This movie never gave you veteran Superman. We got first day on the job no idea what he's doing Superman.

Outside of some questionable choices in the script I, as a huge Superman fan, thought the movie was really good overall. I never at any point thought they failed in their characterization of him.

I'm not concerned about vet/rookie Superman, even as a rookie Superman should still have his morals and beliefs down pat. My problem was the movie/Superman himself instills no hope in the people nor audience, Clark/Lois are idiotic at times, the tone of the film felt very dreary, and many characters were very not-that-character-like most egregiously being Clark and Jonathon. The grandiose battles themselves I had no problems with, it's the nature of superhero battles. Films, comics, animations, what have you always have these ridiculous fights when powers are involved.

Edit: I should say the battles I have no problems with NOW.

IconGrist

I'm not concerned about vet/rookie Superman, even as a rookie Superman should still have his morals and beliefs down pat. My problem was the movie/Superman himself instills no hope in the people nor audience, Clark/Lois are idiotic at times, the tone of the film felt very dreary, and many characters were very not-that-character-like most egregiously being Clark and Jonathon. The grandiose battles themselves I had no problems with, it's the nature of superhero battles. Films, comics, animations, what have you always have these ridiculous fights when powers are involved.

Do you have a particular instance in mind where he contradicted his beliefs?

As to your second point, if Superman had instilled hope to the people there would be no need for the conflict in Batman v Superman which is the story bring told. You said you've read a lot of the New 52 stuff and this characterization of Superman and how he's viewed by the general public is pretty close to that in the origins. It was a long while before Supes became a beacon of hope.

Could the movie have been better with a more talented script writer? Absolutely but the themes I think hit what they were aiming for.

I personally am in favor of Superman having to earn his place rather than "he saved the world so now we must love him."

Compbros

Do you have a particular instance in mind where he contradicted his beliefs?

As to your second point, if Superman had instilled hope to the people there would be no need for the conflict in Batman v Superman which is the story bring told. You said you've read a lot of the New 52 stuff and this characterization of Superman and how he's viewed by the general public is pretty close to that in the origins. It was a long while before Supes became a beacon of hope.

Could the movie have been better with a more talented script writer? Absolutely but the themes I think hit what they were aiming for.

I personally am in favor of Superman having to earn his place rather than "he saved the world so now we must love him."

Not so much contradictory as never really having solidified what they are. He goes to ask a priest for advice on what to do, his decades of good old-fashioned Midwestern upbringing should tell him what to do: give himself up to save the people. This isn't to say that Superman doesn't sometimes need guidance but not on an issue like that.

Understandable and yet there are still people worshiping him and him giving them hope. But that's because of what he can do as opposed to who he is, the "person" Superman isn't what these people look towards for hope but the "being" Superman. Early New 52 Superman was a travesty of writing at times, even so there was still Clark and/or Superman doing things characteristically of them. As I link this panel again.

There's nothing of this in MoS. You don't get to see Clark being a good person, you actually see him being a douchebag with the trucker thing. The thing about Superman is that he never had some tragedy or mantle forced upon him, he's just a good person trying to do the right things and you just don't see him being a good person in MoS.

Earning his place is fine but show him being Superman and the people rejecting him out of fear or Lex Luthor sweet talk or what have you. Show what an inspiration he can be and have people turn on him still because of fear of the unknown and the Zod battle. I made this joke with my brother that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the best Superman movie ever made because the two are very similar in their characteristics. In Avengers you see Cap telling officers to make a perimeter and to minimize damage/casualties as much as possible and in TWS he gives this ridiculously inspiring speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8_usG_B0E

Maybe he gets this moment when speaking to congress in BvS but MoS presents a Superman that's lost, that doesn't know who he should be or what he should do in an attempt to...I don't know, humanize him? Humanizing Superman, it just sounds ridiculous considering how human he really is.

ReiGun

MoS is very much a Superman film. A different interpretation of the character, sure, but to say it's not a Superman film is like saying Red Son isn't a Superman comic because he's from Russia instead of Kansas. It's this weird distinction comic fans like to make because we really believe in all these guidelines in what constitutes a "proper" story about these characters. Even though their parent companies and those writing their stories hardly seem to believe that themselves.

"Man of Steel," even after you dig through all the hyperbole and endless fan bitching from all sides that's turned it into easily the most divisive movie in the superhero film subgenre/niche, is a pretty bad film. It all the right ideas about how to do a modern take on Superman and at times lives up to that potential - the scene in the school with Clark and Martha is still wonderful and I dare say one of the best character moments we've gotten in a superhero film in a long while - but overall it just can't overcome its issues. The pacing is really bad, the character development is awful or just non-existent (two hours and we don't leave the film have a great idea of who Clark is beyond "he just wants to help"), the movie talks a lot about its themes but fails to properly show or develop them within the narrative, the dialogue is bad at best and outright atrocious at worst.

As for the tone? I'm not going to say the movie is "too dark" because 1. "dark" much like "fun" has become a lazy descriptor in these discussions that hardly tells us anything and 2. I don't actually believe there's anything wrong with telling a darker or more serious story about Superman. It's been done before and done well. The problem with "Man of Steel" is not that it's "dark" but that it's so melancholy and at times lifeless. It really wants to be this inspirational and hopeful story about a man finding his place in the world and becoming a hero (the superb third trailer tells us as much) but it doesn't seem very excited by that prospect. The drab, depressed tone that carries the thing along with the failure to properly characterize its cast and endear us to them also keeps us from getting excited.

Hence, why we've spent the last two-going-on-three years arguing about fake death tolls and such. Because after being bummed out for two hours by the adventures of this wooden man whose motivations and personality we don't really know or empathize, it ends with this cavalcade of death and destruction that seemingly horrified people.

Granted, a lot of us saw past these issues and managed to find somethings to enjoy. I get that because some of the film does work and work well. The action is great, the soundtrack is sublime (love Clark's theme, even though the film doesn't use it much), the acting works even though the cast doesn't get much to work with. And while I think the character arcs and theme only really work in theory but are executed poorly, I can see how some would feel differently.

Man of Steel is a bad movie that had all the pieces to be a good one. I'm hopeful for BvS because of a lot of the issues with MoS were at the script level. It also looks like Synder took the criticism of MoS being too drab to heart, as BvS looks more vibrant. The only things we can't see from the trailer are pacing and characterization (we get some, but everything is removed from context), which I say were MoS's biggest problems. I suppose we'll find out in March.

The worst thing about Man of Steel is they didn't have a follow up "In universe" planned within 6 months to a year. Thats allowed the negativity surrounding DC and WB to snowball on itself to the point of it being a meme at this point. At least when the MCU dropped a turd like Iron Man 2 or Thor 2 there was a palette cleanser (and more importantly, a distraction) around 6 months away.

ReiGun

The worst thing about Man of Steel is they didn't have a follow up "In universe" planned within 6 months to a year. Thats allowed the negativity surrounding DC and WB to snowball on itself to the point of it being a meme at this point. At least when the MCU dropped a turd like Iron Man 2 or Thor 2 there was a palette cleanser (and more importantly, a distraction) around 6 months away.

This is a good point about WB's general strategy. The delay didn't help things at all.

If they could have dropped, say, Wonder Woman in the interim, they could have staved off a lot of the bullshit. Assuming Wonder Woman ends up a good film of course. Thor 2 being shit flew under the radar because it was followed by the best two films in the MCU's Phase 2.

Not so much contradictory as never really having solidified what they are. He goes to ask a priest for advice on what to do, his decades of good old-fashioned Midwestern upbringing should tell him what to do: give himself up to save the people. This isn't to say that Superman doesn't sometimes need guidance but not on an issue like that.

Understandable and yet there are still people worshiping him and him giving them hope. But that's because of what he can do as opposed to who he is, the "person" Superman isn't what these people look towards for hope but the "being" Superman. Early New 52 Superman was a travesty of writing at times, even so there was still Clark and/or Superman doing things characteristically of them. As I link this panel again.

There's nothing of this in MoS. You don't get to see Clark being a good person, you actually see him being a douchebag with the trucker thing. The thing about Superman is that he never had some tragedy or mantle forced upon him, he's just a good person trying to do the right things and you just don't see him being a good person in MoS.

Earning his place is fine but show him being Superman and the people rejecting him out of fear or Lex Luthor sweet talk or what have you. Show what an inspiration he can be and have people turn on him still because of fear of the unknown and the Zod battle. I made this joke with my brother that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the best Superman movie ever made because the two are very similar in their characteristics. In Avengers you see Cap telling officers to make a perimeter and to minimize damage/casualties as much as possible and in TWS he gives this ridiculously inspiring speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8_usG_B0E

Maybe he gets this moment when speaking to congress in BvS but MoS presents a Superman that's lost, that doesn't know who he should be or what he should do in an attempt to...I don't know, humanize him? Humanizing Superman, it just sounds ridiculous considering how human he really is.

He saved a bus of kids and an oil rig crew. Those are two moments like the panels you showed. And, like the world.

a916

There's also the added benefit that the MCU is divided up into large episodes for each Phase... a crappy movie is bouyed by the entire phase. I still can't fathom the reviews on any of the Thor, IM2-3, and Hulk movies and how their so high. Those are some mediocre movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom