• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also the added benefit that the MCU is divided up into large episodes for each Phase... a crappy movie is bouyed by the entire phase. I still can't fathom the reviews on any of the Thor, IM2-3, and Hulk movies and how their so high. Those are some mediocre movies.

The problem is RT has been reducted to just throwing the percentage around like its the quality of the movie. Like saying Toy Story is a 99% perfect movie or something, I wrote about this in the Fantastic Four thread.

The RT calculation is just an aggregate of binary would/would not recommend reviews. So if:

Movie 1 gets 6/10 6/10 6/10 6/10 6/10
Movie 2 gets 10/10 10/10 10/10 10/10 and a 5/10

Movie 1 gets a 100% RT and Movie 2 gets a 90% RT.

That means on the whole safer films (ones where you go "eh, its inoffensive.... i'll give it a 6) get a pass more than divisive (something like 2001 A space oddesey, where the 10's and 3's will be abundance. A real love it or loathe it movie).

Metacritic is far more relaible on the whole to me, because it calculates the individual reviews rating, not just a "yes/no" type system.

It doesn't help that critics don't get to submit or rectify their ratings, RT just kind of snatches it up. A mixed review is often interpreted as positive, even without a score system in the critic's review.

Lokimaru

Superman doesn't have to save people, why is that so hard for people to understand. The fact that he does is what makes him a good person. We see him save people immediatly. He's constantly saving people in MOS at great personal risk too cause he knows he can take a lot of punishment but he doesn't know he's invulnerable. He doesn't even know all his powers. Where was the Breath powers? We the Audience know what he can do but can you really hold that against him? It actually reminds me of my favorite Superman tale:
51Au-G5CCVL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It tell the tale of a Superman who's been on the job for two months and doesn't know how much he can take, Pa Kent actually apologizes to Clark cause he never gave it much thought something MOS Pa Kent thought about all the time cause his Clark came to him struggling to just breath. Hell him killing Zod shows he himself can also die under the right circumstances.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
MoS is the only Supes movie (live-action that is) worth watching, only problems I had with it:

-The last 40 minutes or so, just too much explosions and shit flying around. Zod fight was awesome though.

-"You know it's all downhill after the first kiss" gtfo with that shit.

Very good movie and that score..damn.

Also, I want this to happen in one of the sequels (or just the JL movies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K72fisvoP8

There are early screenings???

Internal ones for sure. I do wonder if they ever have long time critics come in and give their opinion, or if they have long time directors watch it. I'm kind of doubting the only opinions they'll gather on the movie will be internal ones.

Seems like Newline has a lot on their slate but no firm public release schedule. Wonder what the chances are Shazam will be pushed forward to like 2017. I'm guessing this depends on how soon WB can lockdown a director and cast Shazam. Just a little concerned because everyday I think I see the Rock signing up or being interested in a new project. I'm not worried about Rock flaking out, just the project doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. I'm guessing WB is putting some stuff on hold until they see how other films pan out.

Internal ones for sure. I do wonder if they ever have long time critics come in and give their opinion, or if they have long time directors watch it. I'm kind of doubting the only opinions they'll gather on the movie will be internal ones.

Seems like Newline has a lot on their slate but no firm public release schedule. Wonder what the chances are Shazam will be pushed forward to like 2017. I'm guessing this depends on how soon WB can lockdown a director and cast Shazam. Just a little concerned because everyday I think I see the Rock signing up or being interested in a new project. I'm not worried about Rock flaking out, just the project doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. I'm guessing WB is putting some stuff on hold until they see how other films pan out.

I assume the film industry has the same thing as the games industry with ex-media people doing mock reviews for advanced screenings.

As for the Rock, I have a feeling Shazam ultimately falls apart and he gets to pick a different role in the DCEU.

kmfdmpig

There are early screenings???

Some are now saying that it did not happen, and are also making the point that many terrible movies have had internal studio standing ovations and buzz.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/dc_comics/news/?a=123850
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-be-taken-with-a-grain-of-kryptonite-20150811

I hope that it did in fact happen, the movie does turn out great, and Affleck helms more than one solo Batman movie, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high at this point.

Some are now saying that it did not happen, and are also making the point that many terrible movies have had internal studio standing ovations and buzz.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/dc_comics/news/?a=123850
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-be-taken-with-a-grain-of-kryptonite-20150811

I hope that it did in fact happen, the movie does turn out great, and Affleck helms more than one solo Batman movie, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high at this point.

Affleck's other movies did get pushed back but that could be because of anything.

a916

Guys/gals, can we add in "There's too much Batman" to that cycle of doom? Check out this pile of garbage that speculates with such gems as:

"When fans are more excited to see Lego Batman jamming at the Oscars than Why So Serious Batman brooding, maybe a slew of new live-action films isn’t the way to go."

The last Nolan Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises, grossed over $1 billion but scored lukewarm reviews compared to the first two.

That lukewarm 87 on RT...

LINK

GeeTeeCee

Guys/gals, can we add in "There's too much Batman" to that cycle of doom? Check out this pile of garbage that speculates with such gems as:

That lukewarm 87 on RT...

LINK

While I like io9 as a site, I've stopped reading any articles they write about the DCU. Pretty much every writer and most of the comment section is of the "if it isn't exactly like Marvel Studios, it's garbage" variety. Just an endless echo chamber of rumor mongering and petty complaints.

Was looking back at some of Faraci's tweets, this one is both really funny and informative

For those that are STILL worried about Batman clouding Superman.

I think it's safe to put some stock in his info, he was right on the money on a lot of elements in the trailer way before it came out.

Did you by any chance pick the wrong tweet? Because that's the tweet which I find hilarious in some regards considering how derivative and messy Ultron turned out to be.

Was looking back at some of Faraci's tweets, this one is both really funny and informative

For those that are STILL worried about Batman clouding Superman.

I think it's safe to put some stock in his info, he was right on the money on a lot of elements in the trailer way before it came out.

He probably meant this. If he is to be believed, he states that "they still don't get Superman" so that's interesting. I don't know how serious I can't take his opinion after that AoU tweet though. lol

Did you by any chance pick the wrong tweet? Because that's the tweet which I find hilarious in some regards considering how derivative and messy Ultron turned out to be.

Yeah I worded that weird, it's suppose to be all in one tweet. He talks about the script throughout the whole page.

Wonder what he means by retro qualities. The Superman thing is highly subjective, I thought MoS's depiction was pretty spot on with modern superman. He probably has something more in mind with Donner's or Pre-COIE.

It's good to see he liked the script though, given his bias :p.

DMczaf

He probably meant this. If he is to be believed, he states that "they still don't get Superman" so that's interesting. I don't know how serious I can't take his opinion after that AoU tweet though. lol

His fight to make AoU seem like more than a throwaway big budget movie was impressive.

He wants AoU to mean so much!

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/04/age-of-ultron-consequences-legacies-killer-robots

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05...-the-character-arcs-of-avengers-age-of-ultron

That is tough to read through. He was just mocking Suicide Squad fans liking their trailer and now he's gushing over the Civil War trailer (which I really want to see as a fan).

Thinking about Age of Ultron and to some degree Man of Steel, I hope the Batman v Superman material isn't selling a movie that isn't it.

I'm assuming you already know this because you're in this thread but

Doomsday is the major villain in the movie and the third act. So in that sense the trailer might be deceptive. Tonally I don't think it will be that much different from Man of Steel, but alot of MoS's jokes fell flat because I think Goyer, and I think Chris Terrio has a better handle on how to connect to audiences emotionally.

What does Faraci even mean by "getting Superman"? I thought they did pretty well by him in Man of Steel.

I imagine most people's impression of Superman is from either Superfriends, Timmverse, Lois & Clark or Donner's films, none of which are really like Modern (1986 onwards) Superman. So as a comic fan I'm pleased, though I'm sure a good portion of people expected spit curl, winking Superman instead of Sci Fi, emphasis on alien from Krypton Superman.

I'm assuming you already know this because you're in this thread but

Doomsday is the major villain in the movie and the third act. So in that sense the trailer might be deceptive. Tonally I don't think it will be that much different from Man of Steel, but alot of MoS's jokes fell flat because I think Goyer, and I think Chris Terrio has a better handle on how to connect to audiences emotionally.

that's really disappointing tbh. the trailer promises a very interesting premise of making superman accountable to the public and batman being one of them. i hope they don't abandon that so soon for such a dull brawler villain.

hopefully he comes in really late.

Ahasverus

that's really disappointing tbh. the trailer promises a very interesting premise of making superman accountable to the public and batman being one of them. i hope they don't abandon that so soon for such a dull brawler villain.

If leaked info is to be believed, Doomsday has a great character reason to exist that is still related to "making superman accountable".
He's probably the zombified body of the guy he killed programmed by Luthor to cause the biggest destruction possible so the public finally condemns superman
That's good characterization. Don't doubt Terrio.

that's really disappointing tbh. the trailer promises a very interesting premise of making superman accountable to the public and batman being one of them.

Don't know why you would expect a movie to run with the premise of superman being accountable or whatever when we know justice league is coming

I think he will be coming in super late, like the last 20 mins or so of the film. WW probably doesn't suit up until this part going by the trailer shots showing her fighting an unknown opponent. I don't think the focus will be on Doomsday rather the team working together and preventing destruction and containing Doomsday, demonstrating to the world the value of the Justice League. I'm sure we'll get a lot of world building around Superman and the events of Man of Steel.

I suppose I'm a bit wrong in my wording. Lex is the major villain but Doomsday is the meat bag.

IconGrist

I imagine the plot line of the public condemning Superman will be resolved by the end of Batman v Superman. There's not really a reason to continue that thread past this movie.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
They should get Neil Druckmann to do some writing on the standalones, if they want to go 'dark'. I just hope they get good writers on all their movies tbh, imo just as important as good directors.

guek

Banned

Much like the actual
Doomsday, it sounds like he'll be used more as a mindless, destructive punching bag, likely a pawn of Luthor that gets out of control. It's naive to think this film wont end with Batman and Superman teaming up though.

I found a site which had some new information on costumes. It's nothing amazing, but I thought it was worth sharing:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/350603-batman-v-superman-costume-designer#/slide/1

It's promising that Momoa doesn't want to take the Costume off.

Much like the actual
Doomsday, it sounds like he'll be used more as a mindless, destructive punching bag, likely a pawn of Luthor that gets out of control. It's naive to think this film wont end with Batman and Superman teaming up though.

SickSkeletalBoubou.gif

IconGrist

Oh dear.

They might have confirmed a theory about Wonder Woman that is gonna piss some people off.

Not particularly crazy about it myself.

I wouldn't read much into it. That rumor died off a while ago with nothing new to support it. He likely just spoiled an Easter Egg very little people would notice.

Much like the actual

Faraci and I think a few other sources confirmed
The Justice League is formed at the end of the movie.

The kryptonian scripture in the article is talking about Superman's suit.

The article does a shit job at it, but the Kryptonian lettering is on Supe's suit. Hell, even the official Superman page got it wrong and thought the article was referring to Batman.

kmfdmpig

The article does a shit job at it, but the Kryptonian lettering is on Supe's suit. Hell, even the official Superman page got it wrong and thought the article was referring to Batman.

You are right. When stream of consciousness writing goes wrong and confuses most readers. What a weirdly worded section.

Ahasverus

I am sorry that I find this strange.
Bye.
Haha don't worry. He should not back per se, it's that, there is a rumor that has been around forever about this movie and this super candid interview just confirmed it. If you don't get it then it's better for your enjoyment, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom