• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So I was just thinking: do you guys think Lucius Fox is the one Battfleck is talking to on the phone in the trailer? The general audience know him to some extent (Nolan movies) and having him killed during the battle between Supes and Zod could sell the bad blood between Bats and Supes more I think. Or maybe it was just a random employee/whatever but what do you guys think. Would they do something like this?

IconGrist

So I was just thinking: do you guys think Lucius Fox is the one Battfleck is talking to on the phone in the trailer? The general audience know him to some extent (Nolan movies) and having him killed during the battle between Supes and Zod could sell the bad blood between Bats and Supes more I think. Or maybe it was just a random employee/whatever but what do you guys think. Would they do something like this?

I could see that. I think the audience would believe his anger at Superman more if it were someone Bruce really cares about over random Wayne Ent. employee #1368.

Effect

Watch it just be a 2 hour version of Hereafter
73.jpg

We're not that lucky. That would be amazing though. I love that episode.

ryan299

There's a theory I've seen that
Superman may "die" in this movie, leading to the League being formed to fill the void, and that he'll be revived in Justice League Part Two

Pretty sure that came from the fake script as
Superman dies at the end stopping Doomsday. John Stewart is then revealed as GL and is warned by other Lanterns that Darkseid is on the way and Earth has lost it's greatest hope

I'm probably putting too much faith in Faraci at this point but he said you could piece together the major plot points through the trailers pretty easily, there isn't a ton of huge surprises. I think WB wants to play it by the numbers and do a standard super hero story, atleast for the forming of the Justice League.

The basic structure of the movie is easy to figure out. Faraci has spoiled a good amount of the film.

Poyunch

See people just don't understand Superman Returns was ahead of its time. Jesse Eisenburg's portrayal is just a cheap imitation.

I was rewatching Superman Returns to kill time doing homework and I totally forgot there were wigs outside of the opening.

Busty

Banned
Rumor, which is still funny since film is wrapped, but apparently Warner wants more Batman in BvS

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/9/7/rumor-warners-wants-more-batman-in-batman-v-superman

*shrugs shoulders*

Given that the film is supposed to be 'two thirds' Superman screen time and very much a Superman film rather than a 'double header' this doesn't really surprise me at all.

When the story says 'more Batman' I'm assuming that it's little bits here and there rather than some major reshoot work to bring in a whole new action set piece etc.

That's if it's true at all of course.

strafer

Havel is far from a boring superman.

If you want a boring supes then watch Routh.

And I like Routh...especially on Arrow.

But as Supes...nope.

Seems kind of late to be requesting that. It's way past time for reshoots and rewrites, I'd think they'd do some re-editing. It would only hurt perception of the film at this point. If anything I'd expect it to mean more Batman scenes in Justice League.

Must be slow news day for Mayimbe.

Tabby

Well we all know what happened last time someone messed around with a comic book movie... I don't really want to see Snyder going on Twitter in a year saying "last year I had a great version of BvS. Too bad you won't see it".

I hope it's not true. Not only is it a bit too late but I'm getting a bit tired of Batman.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well we all know what happened last time someone messed around with a comic book movie... I don't really want to see Snyder going on Twitter in a year saying "last year I had a great version of BvS. Too bad you won't see it".

I hope it's not true. Not only is it a bit too late but I'm getting a bit tired of Batman.

certainty is something mankind cannot achieve...but i tell you think with full confidence, that will never come to pass with this film...

DaveH

Must be slow news day for Mayimbe.
That's my opinion. This is pretty easy rumor to construct which is borderline impossible to debunk without the answer being spun into new and worse rumors.

For example, "He's wrong, the story / edit is locked." The next headline: "Snyder arrogantly deluded into believing he's achieved perfection, stubbornly refuses to make any changes over the next 200 days!"; etc.

If there is even an iota of truth to the rumor, I think it's a good thing so long as they don't cave to pressure, because people leaving the film wanting more is EXACTLY what you want! You want to make people hungry to see Batman again so that they're eager to catch a glimpse of him in Suicide Squad. You want Batman to act as seasoning that you can sprinkle on any property to make it better, not satiate that hunger completely on the first outing so we never need to see him again. Conversely, with Superman, you need him to move the ball far enough that a world where the Justice League makes sense... Batman's great, but he doesn't ever get you there.

Five seasons of B:TAS didn't make the Justice League plausible... it wasn't even two full seasons of S:TAS before we had Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Supergirl, etc... (not to mention Season 1, Lobo, Darkseid, etc). Three seasons of Arrow wouldn't get you to Legends of Tomorrow... but one season of Flash does... the super-powered character is more relevant at this stage of storytelling.

Irrespective of how you feel about the character, Superman's just way more important to world-building the cinematic universe right now... a god-like Kryptonian sets the stage way better for an Amazon, speedster, space cop, Atlantean, etc. than a vigilante with gadgets.

Penguin

Yeah, this is one of those conversation-starters, but w/o any of us seeing the movie probably won't make a difference.

It could have been 50/50 Bats and Supes which is now 55/45

Or it could be 30/70 Bats and Supes and now 50/50.. or who knows.

Like until I guess blu-ray Director's cut

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah no not buying that. Snyder is in charge of the DCEU and WB isn't known to fuck with movies like this, are they? Once they trust you at WB, you have a lot of credit. Read something like that. This movie has to work and if they held test screenings for outsiders (which I'm pretty sure they must have done) and people were positive...and knowing how it can fuck up the movie whenever studioheads get involved (see F4 as a recent example)...no way in hell they are taking that chance and are fucking around with'more Batman' just because they liked him.

Also, Nolans name is still attached to it and they bend over for him. Pretty sure he still has a say in all this if he wanted, all Snyder has to do is give him a call if this is even remotely true which I don't think it is.

Odoul

Guess WB/Marvel are in a contest of who can throat their billionaire super-genius special little snowflake harder.

It would be funny If Batman/Wayne Tech is eventually responsible for creating Brainiac/ giving Wonder Woman her gauntlets.

3N16MA

Banned
Yeah no not buying that. Snyder is in charge of the DCEU and WB isn't known to fuck with movies like this, are they? Once they trust you at WB, you have a lot of credit. Read something like that. This movie has to work and if they held test screenings for outsiders (which I'm pretty sure they must have done) and people were positive...and knowing how it can fuck up the movie whenever studioheads get involved (see F4 as a recent example)...no way in hell they are taking that chance and are fucking around with'more Batman' just because they liked him.

Also, Nolans name is still attached to it and they bend over for him. Pretty sure he still has a say in all this if he wanted, all Snyder has to do is give him a call if this is even remotely true which I don't think it is.

I'm sure Snyder is not solely in charge of the DCEU and I doubt Nolan has much influence over this film.

Yeah, this is one of those conversation-starters, but w/o any of us seeing the movie probably won't make a difference.

It could have been 50/50 Bats and Supes which is now 55/45

Or it could be 30/70 Bats and Supes and now 50/50.. or who knows.

Like until I guess blu-ray Director's cut

That's my opinion. This is pretty easy rumor to construct which is borderline impossible to debunk without the answer being spun into new and worse rumors.

For example, "He's wrong, the story / edit is locked." The next headline: "Snyder arrogantly deluded into believing he's achieved perfection, stubbornly refuses to make any changes over the next 200 days!"; etc.

If there is even an iota of truth to the rumor, I think it's a good thing so long as they don't cave to pressure, because people leaving the film wanting more is EXACTLY what you want! You want to make people hungry to see Batman again so that they're eager to catch a glimpse of him in Suicide Squad. You want Batman to act as seasoning that you can sprinkle on any property to make it better, not satiate that hunger completely on the first outing so we never need to see him again. Conversely, with Superman, you need him to move the ball far enough that a world where the Justice League makes sense... Batman's great, but he doesn't ever get you there.

Five seasons of B:TAS didn't make the Justice League plausible... it wasn't even two full seasons of S:TAS before we had Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Supergirl, etc... (not to mention Season 1, Lobo, Darkseid, etc). Three seasons of Arrow wouldn't get you to Legends of Tomorrow... but one season of Flash does... the super-powered character is more relevant at this stage of storytelling.

Irrespective of how you feel about the character, Superman's just way more important to world-building the cinematic universe right now... a god-like Kryptonian sets the stage way better for an Amazon, speedster, space cop, Atlantean, etc. than a vigilante with gadgets.

Couldn't have put it better, I came to that conclusion in the other thread then I see your guys posts >_>.

IconGrist

I like his addressing of the prominent Batman rumors. Basically saying it has to be like that towards the front of the movie to set him up but it evens out as the movie goes along. I always assumed that would be the case but it's nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I find it kind of funny that Johns is just waiting to talk shop about Aquaman with him. I'm glad to see there seemingly isn't a whole lot of friction between the comics head & movie head. Johns as CCO might actually pay off.

I like the affirmation that they're not going for a unified tone though.

Not too much longer now...

DaveH

Dont know if this has been already been posted, but..... we gonna talk about it?
Since we don't know exactly what question they asked, it's hard to take much away from it except what he explicitly said... that it's Batman heavy at first and evens out as the film goes on.

He repeats "Only in that" / "only in that way" because it seems like he's deflecting the question or narrowing his answer.

Aside from knowing what the question was, inflection matters so much... case-in-point, Shannon talking about the flippers with Larry King:

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/10/exclusive-michael-shannon-reveals-new-details-about-his-batman-v/

Maddocks

Damn synder, flavor of the week, that is the type of shit you say privately to your friends, not out in public. Making things harder on himself for no reason.

IconGrist

Damn synder, flavor of the week, that is the type of shit you say privately to your friends, not out in public. Making things harder on himself for no reason.

BvS is going to kill at the B.O. and if it's even remotely good no one is going to give a damn what he says about Marvel.

Since we don't know exactly what question they asked, it's hard to take much away from it except what he explicitly said... that it's Batman heavy at first and evens out as the film goes on.

He repeats "Only in that" / "only in that way" because it seems like he's deflecting the question or narrowing his answer.

Aside from knowing what the question was, inflection matters so much... case-in-point, Shannon talking about the flippers with Larry King:

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/10/exclusive-michael-shannon-reveals-new-details-about-his-batman-v/

I get the sense Shannon's updated comments are the red herring, damage control for letting info slip. Whatever it is, the hardcore secrecy around blockbusters is funny.

He's not wrong though, marvel never played ant man up as a big deal though, they even kind of downplayed his importance ("name wasn't my idea!"). I don't think Snyder was ever trying to downplay the quality of the film, just the way in which it was presented. He doesn't want to make Superman or Batman "just another superhero film", he wants to live up to the mythology.

DaveH

In the other interview given on the same day he's pretty positive about Marvel... it's just sound-bite culture likes to grab one phrase and run...

NEWS.COM.AU: It’s fair to say the critical reaction to both the latest Avengers movie and Ant-Man was lukewarm. Do you think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has peaked a bit, or is in danger of collapsing under its own weight?

ZACK: It’s an interesting question. I haven’t seen Ant-Man. I just haven’t had time. I’ve been so stacked, I’ve been in post, but I do want to, I have an interest in seeing it. But to me it’s like, there’s undeniable and amazing talent and entertainment in the movies they make, and Joss [Whedon] is really good. The question is whether or not — or how — the superhero genre evolves, or does it stay the same? Steven Spielberg made that comment about [superhero movies] going the way of the westerns, and my reaction is: then you’ve got to make a better movie. That’s the reality. I know that doesn’t really answer the question, but the feeling is that we can’t stay the same, that’s one thing for sure.

In the other interview given on the same day he's pretty positive about Marvel... it's just sound-bite culture likes to grab one phrase and run...

NEWS.COM.AU: It’s fair to say the critical reaction to both the latest Avengers movie and Ant-Man was lukewarm. Do you think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has peaked a bit, or is in danger of collapsing under its own weight?

ZACK: It’s an interesting question. I haven’t seen Ant-Man. I just haven’t had time. I’ve been so stacked, I’ve been in post, but I do want to, I have an interest in seeing it. But to me it’s like, there’s undeniable and amazing talent and entertainment in the movies they make, and Joss [Whedon] is really good. The question is whether or not — or how — the superhero genre evolves, or does it stay the same? Steven Spielberg made that comment about [superhero movies] going the way of the westerns, and my reaction is: then you’ve got to make a better movie. That’s the reality. I know that doesn’t really answer the question, but the feeling is that we can’t stay the same, that’s one thing for sure.

no! I want to rage uncontrollably! Marvel! money! DC! lame! WAAA!

SimleuqiR

We are still getting Westerns. Not to the volume as back in the day, but we are getting them nonetheless.

That era is too iconic. I don't see how a new generations of writers and directors wouldn't want to take a stab at it.

We are still getting Westerns. Not to the volume as back in the day, but we are getting them nonetheless.

That era is too iconic. I don't see how a new generations of writers and directors wouldn't want to take a stab at it.
Don't forget The Revenant (well, not exactly a western, but still in that frontier era), and AMC's Hell on Wheels got five seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom