• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about superheroes (or rather, superhero universes) that sets them apart from Westerns is how unbelievably flexible they are. You want to make a classic Swords and Sorcery fantasy in it? That'll work. Crime thriller? Yup. Horror? In spades. You can even use the same characters. Batman's done all that shit, and he's hardly alone.

ReiGun

The thing about superheroes (or rather, superhero universes) that sets them apart from Westerns is how unbelievably flexible they are. You want to make a classic Swords and Sorcery fantasy in it? That'll work. Crime thriller? Yup. Horror? In spades. You can even use the same characters. Batman's done all that shit, and he's hardly alone.

Yup. You look at the DC or Marvel and their universes contain characters from all across genres. Take DC's Trinity: you got your pulpy urban detective stories with Batman, high fantasy and mythology with Wonder Woman, and crazy sci-fi with Superman. And all three have dipped in each others lanes for years.

The problem is we're only just starting to see Hollywood embrace that flexibility beyond the "superhero movie" mold.

Superheroes have existed in cinema for a very long time, and their increase is owed primarily to a bump in technology and a few people who actually want to make them. People can say that superheroes in film are going to die until their face turns blue, but the fact of the matter is that this is a genre that can star any character type, in any story, and in any setting. In my mind, comparing them to westerns is ludicrous.

You need to see that comment for what it is. "Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies"... he's not talking about the movies, he's not talking about the Ant-Man movie.... he's talking about everything BUT the movies. Played a good Iron Man game lately? A good Ant-Man one? A TV show solely about those guys? These characters really aren't existing for Marvel outside of the comics and movies. That's what he's saying.

DaveH

You need to see that comment for what it is. "Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies"... he's not talking about the movies, he's not talking about the Ant-Man movie.... he's talking about everything BUT the movies. Played a good Iron Man game lately? A good Ant-Man one? A TV show solely about those guys? These characters really aren't existing for Marvel outside of the comics and movies. That's what he's saying.
Yup. Junkie XL explaining what Zack means by transcendent.
https://youtu.be/pEM-HoxLT6E?t=21m45s

Superheroes have existed in cinema for a very long time, and their increase is owed primarily to a bump in technology and a few people who actually want to make them. People can say that superheroes in film are going to die until their face turns blue, but the fact of the matter is that this is a genre that can star any character type, in any story, and in any setting. In my mind, comparing them to westerns is ludicrous.

It seems some forget about the merchandising and licensing aspect of superhero movies too.

a916

Damn synder, flavor of the week, that is the type of shit you say privately to your friends, not out in public. Making things harder on himself for no reason.

I don't think it's a pot shot at the movie... like others have stated before he's talked positively about the movie quality it self... I think what he's trying to say is that Ant-Man isn't the same pillar of importance that Batman/Superman are (or in Marvel's case, Avengers and those core films)... I mean Marvel didn't even give us Ant-Man 2 for the next phase. It was a one-off film for Marvel.

Exactly. Snyders actually very respectful of other peoples works and has said positive things about the MCU in the past. Hes not putting down the film as opposed to stating the obvious abouf B and S cultural relevance. People are taking potshots at the "meathead" without even understanding that quote.

art from TDK III: Master Race

YsAxcKjl.jpg

I'm guessing slightly inspired by Batfleckman

waiting for the blogger blowpack on that book title and DC tone deaf to diversity complaints (regardless of the excellent DCYou output put forward by a variety of newwriters and artists). The original title was Batman & Superman vs the master race, funny enough. DC really needs to get a new marketing branch.

waiting for the blogger blowpack on that book title and DC tone deaf to diversity complaints (regardless of the excellent DCYou output put forward by a variety of newwriters and artists). The original title was Batman & Superman vs the master race, funny enough. DC really needs to get a new marketing branch.

DC doesn't get enough credit for the DCYou stuff, honestly, so I'm cool with people giving them a pass on crazy old man Miller's crazy old man title. They've made leaps and bounds on the diversity front, both between the covers and on the staff.

ryan299

In a new article about a potential MoS sequel, Faraci says

Spoilers. Contains villain info for BvS as well as JL.

"I trust El Mayimbe's sources, but I suspect that a lot of this stuff is scrapped now, especially as every whisper I hear about Justice League contains the word 'Brainiac.' I suspect elements of this story were cannibalized for the eventual team-up as well as BvS, whose main physical threat is, I believe, a cross between traditional Bizarro and another well-known Superman villain**.

It's Doomsday, created from the body of General Zod. I reported this first a long time ago, it's been since confirmed to me again and again. In post-Crisis continuity Bizarro was created by Lex Luthor during an attempt to clone Superman, while Doomsday was the result of Kryptonian mad science. In BvS Lex creates Doomsday while trying to muck with the genes of Zod's corpse."

BMD

In a not so strange way, the premise of the movie was predicted by so many on here before we even saw the first trailer.

Just seems like an obvious way for things to go down.

Can't wait for this or Justice League. They will be godly.

Rooster12

You're not gonna see any of that on screen.

Most Superhero movies are just watered down to pander to the most basic people. You won't get a horror-based Swamp Thing or Justice League Dark movie anytime soon.

Look at the Thor movies, they had a chance to go all-out fantasy but nope, he has to spend half his time on Earth romancing Jane Foster....

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well I think DC has a clear path of their villains really

I mean the endgame always seemed to have been Darkseid...

But like the MCU with Thanos, what comes after the ultimate big bad? Justice Lords (or Crime Syndicate) seem like an alright avenue for the DCEU, while Marvel's guys are going to have to face off against, I dunno... Galactus? Another big bad from space? (assuming the rights work out in Marvel's favor by then)

But like the MCU with Thanos, what comes after the ultimate big bad? Justice Lords (or Crime Syndicate) seem like an alright avenue for the DCEU, while Marvel's guys are going to have to face off against, I dunno... Galactus? Another big bad from space? (assuming the rights work out in Marvel's favor by then)

I'm into the Legion of Doom proposal. Joining secondary villains from the solo pictures under Luthor and Waller to combat the Justice League. Suicide Squad handles part of the legwork.

You're not gonna see any of that on screen.

Most Superhero movies are just watered down to pander to the most basic people. You won't get a horror-based Swamp Thing or Justice League Dark movie anytime soon.

Look at the Thor movies, they had a chance to go all-out fantasy but nope, he has to spend half his time on Earth romancing Jane Foster....

Hasn't been done before doesn't mean it won't be done eventually.

Besides. I have a little more faith in WB and DC's willingness to do something outside the box than I do in Marvel's. See: Suicide Squad.

Rooster12

After Darkseid, there are still the Anti-Monitor, Khunds, Dominators, Universo, Mordru, Time Trapper, Gog, Brainiac, Black Witch, Sinestro, Mageddon the Warbringer, Angels, Martians, Thanagarians, Rann etc...

Penguin

I'd think Anti-Monitor is a good big bad for them.

And he could be a "huge" presence in the background of movies for years.

Also have a ton of alien races could introduce

Maybe the Yellow/Red Lanterns

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'd think Anti-Monitor is a good big bad for them.

And he could be a "huge" presence in the background of movies for years.

Also have a ton of alien races could introduce

Maybe the Yellow/Red Lanterns

I'd be into a movie where the Justice League and ALL the Green Lanterns have to defend Earth from a Yellow/Red Lantern army.

Ahasverus

^ Starro might work as a mind controlling parasite.

mixed as in "villain X with villain Y creation story" because I don't see how a mix between these 2 could work
How? It's the easiest pairing ever. They both have kryptonian powers, they both come from genetic manipulation and they're both brutes with minimum brains. Makes perfect sense.

DaveH

How? It's the easiest pairing ever. They both have kryptonian powers, they both come from genetic manipulation and they're both brutes with minimum brains. Makes perfect sense.
They steal the best aspects of both for a straight-faced take... Doomsday's original origin is kind of wonky and Bizarro's end-product is kind of wonky... so you get Bizarro's sensible origins and the end-product of Doomsday who- really- was only ever meant as an end-product.

And for better or worse you prevent any more Bizarro or Superman clone stories down the road ideally... because we've seen more than enough of that.

Completely random aside, in Bryne's run, Bizarro vaporized himself for the sake of others and the resultant debris ends up returning someone's sight... I really hope no aspect of that makes it into BvS in any way. I don't care if Martha is on her death bed. I'd reluctantly rather see her pass than be restored by Bizarro dust.

If they pull darkseid early I'd love to see COIE and multiverse fuckery. This is just another scheme by Johns to get Superboy prime in, lmao. I can already imagine the internet reactions to SBP after being upset at MoS's ending.

To be fair Darkseid hasn't been DC's end game for a long time, final crisis was like the only major event recently that painted him as the big bad, before that it was Legends? I think one of their goals in New 52 was to elevate him to a multiversal threat. I suppose he was the main threat in Timmverse. I'd love to see the Syndicate or Legion of Doom/Secret Society. Black Adam, Amazo, White Martians, Eclipso, Starro, Red/Yellow/Orange lanterns would be crazy.

I could easily see villains becoming a staple of WB, the popular ones from the solo films could be feature in squad and make a comeback in a legion of doom justice league.

Penguin

Superman should go

Zod>Metallo>Brainiac

Justice League should go
Brainiac>Darkseid>Injustice League/League of Doom>Darkseid>Anti-Monitor

I think Brainiac being alerted to Earth's presence the same way as Zod would make sense.

And then Darkseid being alerted

And you probably won't kill Darkseid off so can bring him back for a full-scale invasion movie.

I really want a warworld movie for either the League, GL or Superman.

If we can't have MMH in the league I'd still like to see him make a cameo in a Superman movie as well.

Superman should go

Zod>Metallo>Brainiac

Justice League should go
Brainiac>Darkseid>Injustice League/League of Doom>Darkseid>Anti-Monitor

I think Brainiac being alerted to Earth's presence the same way as Zod would make sense.

And then Darkseid being alerted

And you probably won't kill Darkseid off so can bring him back for a full-scale invasion movie.

Eh, I can't see a whole Superman film with Metallo as the main villain. He's too one-dimensional of a character and I feel they would ultimately push him as the bad guy powered by the good guy's weakness. That's another reason why I dislike the idea of Doomsday appearing in one of these movies as I can simply see him being pushed as the bad guy who can actually kill the good guy.

Yeah metallo strikes me as a secondary villain. I keep on wanting to push Superman to more cosmic stuff, but if he stays earthbound I wouldn't mind him taking on a team of villains. That's one thing that hasn't really been done in a super hero film yet, is a hero vs. a team (like 3+). So far it's been one major villain and one secondary villain at most. Kind of pulling for a Monster Society of Evil for Shazam as well. Too often films focus on Hero vs Evil Version of hero.

Penguin

Well Metallo would be secondary, but he would be the major threat

Sort of like... crap, Birthright?

Is that the one where he's former military who signs up for the program to combat Superman or something like that.

But yeah he would either be backed by the US gov't or a project of Luthor's or both

DaveH

Eh, I can't see a whole Superman film with Metallo as the main villain. He's too one-dimensional of a character...
Superman's always one of my favorite superheroes but I tend to be ambivalent about his rogues gallery aside from Lex because of how alien (Darkseid, Brainiac) or goofy his villains can be (Toyman, Bizarro)... but MOS made me actually find Zod interesting, so I'm open to unexpected villains.

However, I always thought Metallo was fascinating because of how grounded and human he could be... in a world with Cyborg, he's incredibly plausible (heck, without Cyborg he's inevitable), and after S:TAS it's clear so many themes you could follow-up on. I was worried that Ultron would suck up all the air around the concept, but they basically ignored it all and reduced him into not much more than a beat-em-up boss with a time-limit, endless minions, and where you keep fighting upgraded versions. They didn't really explore the interesting themes....

For just the basic concept, we're talking about a human mind transcending into a man of steel... that artificial body and all its implications is at the heart of so much scifi (the Positronic Man, etc), philosophy (what does it mean to be human?), and modern internet angst (where we may exist as digital entities as opposed to corporeal beings). In S:TAS they explored hedonism and sensation, memory identity and morality, and mortality and immortality with just their "limited" version of Metallo. The transhumanism angle alone gives him the potential to be incredibly compelling.

If you broaden Metallo further, he can basically stand-in for the Avengers... if Metallo starts out as a human mercenary or military, that's Captain America, then per S:TAS if fighting in a massive hulking mecha-suit, that's Hulk, then he becomes Metallo, Iron Man, but if steps into technopathy or becoming a digital elemental... he's something more akin to a god, magic, or omni-something, Thor / Scarlet Witch / Vision.

Metallo's been everything from a shape-shifter who can disguise himself as anyone to a giant-skyscraper tall Godzilla-like monster. He's far from one-dimensional and has a lot of potential. Those sliding threat also justifies leaving the League out of it because Metallo can seem just manageable but actually not. Also, I don't think Metallo's characterization has ever been so consistent or cherished that anyone is going to throw a fit if he's used as mainly a template for more compelling concepts rather than just applied directly.

...um... basically, I'd be really thrilled if Metallo was a villain, probably moreso than Brainiac.

[Plus, Metallo means Superman gets Kryptonian Anti-Radiation Armor... merchandising everybody, merchandising!]

Yeah metallo strikes me as a secondary villain. I keep on wanting to push Superman to more cosmic stuff, but if he stays earthbound I wouldn't mind him taking on a team of villains. That's one thing that hasn't really been done in a super hero film yet, is a hero vs. a team (like 3+). So far it's been one major villain and one secondary villain at most. Kind of pulling for a Monster Society of Evil for Shazam as well. Too often films focus on Hero vs Evil Version of hero.

Superman revenge squad

3511073-22-23.jpg

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
190 days to go!

:(

Was just listening to some MoS tracks (like every other day). What are your favorite tracks?

Mine are Flight and Arcade. Flight is just perfect for Supes and Arcade is possibly the most epic piece of music ever. I hope BvS soundtrack will be just as good if not better.

Do you think Doomsday is going to be a good villain (if he is the villain of the movie)? I have read Superman: Doomed, but he was all like 'I just want to kill'. I don't know if there are stories where he's a better villain, though.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think Doomsday is going to be a good villain (if he is the villain of the movie)? I have read Superman: Doomed, but he was all like 'I just want to kill'. I don't know if there are stories where he's a better villain, though.

He probably won't be the most talkative villain with some good 'arguments' or something like that. I expect him to be this just rampaging monster they can barely go up against and in that way he'll probably be good and what the movie needs. The Jokery/Zod like villain will be Luthor in this movie. So yeah.

Also: just read on Batman-news that Gadot got offered a part in MoS (Faora?) but declined due to pregnancy. So she must have done pretty good both times. Talking about Faora: she was great and a better cbm villain than most other cbm villains. And she was only the secondary villain...so pretty confident they'll do great with Luthor/Doomsday in BvS.

He probably won't be the most talkative villain with some good 'arguments' or something like that. I expect him to be this just rampaging monster they can barely go up against and in that way he'll probably be good and what the movie needs. The Jokery/Zod like villain will be Luthor in this movie. So yeah.
That's propably the case.
Also: just read on Batman-news that Gadot got offered a part in MoS (Faora?) but declined due to pregnancy. So she must have done pretty good both times.
She's going to give a very good perfomance if she has been offered two times a part. Also, she looks very much like Wonder Woman. If you want, I can post again the comparison I have made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom