• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Star Wars & Superman productions have always been friendly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Batman v. Superman trailer is released online the week prior to Star Wars opening. Maybe even that Tuesday, knowing that it'll wind up on the trailer reel for opening night.

Penguin

Yeah Star Wars for sure, last tent pole movie of the year, BvS isn't just a super hero movie, it's WB's new focus, their new Harry Potter. BvS feels like it's just zooming up quick on us now, after Star Wars which is like 2 months away, 3 months is a cakewalk.

Anyway, I'm curious if we'll hear anything at NYCC (beginning of next month). It seems like the perfect venue for some less flashy stuff like concept art and music samples or plot information. I'd also like to think we'll hear about Justice League Action with cartoon network announcing all their shows lately that was linked in penguin's thread (Scooby Doo and Wabbit). Might even hear about some video games, Suicide Squad is probably ready to be revealed, and if not here I'd think the VGA.

There doesn't seem to be anything like that planned...

Though who knows wasn't at NYCC last year... then like 2 days later they announced friggin 10 movies with release dates.. and I'm not bitter!

GRRRR

I think I'm out when the media blitz starts... that CC trailer had just enough for me. I don't want any story details to spoil.

Normally I'll do likewise but BvS marketing is a curiosity. All marketing has gone hard with Batman versus Superman. I am very skeptical of seeing Batman and Superman working with one another before March.

There doesn't seem to be anything like that planned...

Though who knows wasn't at NYCC last year... then like 2 days later they announced friggin 10 movies with release dates.. and I'm not bitter!

GRRRR

Yeah I'm looking through the panels right now, looking to be mostly cartoon and comic panels from WB with some TV screenings.

At this point I'll probably go to the concession stand if they have a BvS teaser for Star Wars. Feels like I saw enough from the last trailer. I mostly want to see more WW & Luthor dialog but no more action set pieces, Bruce, Clark or Doomsday.

I'm more willing to believe rumors like this because it seems like he's putting his neck on the line putting out a specific date. Plus there's just a lot more hands involved with stuff like this in comparison to work on the film, so a leak seems inevitable. But still I don't know if I should watch the trailer or not.

Whenever I see him preface a HOT RUMOUR with UNCONFIRMED I imagine it coming straight from his ass. He'll follow up with "they changed it at the last minute".

I don't know if the rumor turns out to be true, I hope it is, but it's truly brilliant marketing. This way, these episodes of Supergirl and Gotham will get great ratings and they matched the trailers with the most suitable show and there is the release of the full trailer in the traditional way of showing it before a movie like Spectre or Star Wars.

Ashhong

Whats so clever? Attach a teaser of your biggest movie in front of the most relevant TV shows possible. Seems like a no brainer type move to me. While theyre at it, attach teasers to Flash and Green Arrow. In fact, have them all be different pieces to one special trailer, so you have to watch them all to put it together.

Glass

But don't DC and WB want their films to have nothing to do with their tv properties and vice versa? Like they just don't seem on one anothers radars.

IconGrist

But don't DC and WB want their films to have nothing to do with their tv properties and vice versa? Like they just don't seem on one anothers radars.

That didn't stop them from running Superman Returns ads during Smallville. Or the Nolan Batman ads.

Its a great move, but I don't think it makes much sense right now. The film is still 6 months out, they don't need that groundswell right now. They also don't want the film to feel tired with constant early footage exposure. Give the film a big push post x-mas.

a916

There's 6 months left... it sounds like a cool idea until you realize it's 6 months away.

I doubt they'll try to jeopardize or over saturate their marketing so they can try to boost up their TV shows... everyone knows the pecking order, it's BvS and everything is somewhere in the basement in comparison.

Star Wars hasn't even shown a story trailer yet... follow this model. There's absolutely no reason to market early with a property that is about as much of a lock as there is for 1B.

It makes more sense to do something like this sometime in January/December.

Oddduck

Its a great move, but I don't think it makes much sense right now. The film is still 6 months out, they don't need that groundswell right now. They also don't want the film to feel tired with constant early footage exposure. Give the film a big push post x-mas.

There's 6 months left... it sounds like a cool idea until you realize it's 6 months away.

It makes more sense to do something like this sometime in January/December.

Warner Bros dropped brand new trailers for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises seven months before each of those movies had released in late July. In both situations, they dropped new trailers right before Christmas -- not after.

There is only 5 months between October 26th (the rumored date for the new footage) and Batman vs Superman's release in late March.

I'm not saying the rumor is real, but it sounds totally believable that Warner Bros' would get aggressive with their marketing 5 months before release.

Penguin

It sounds like a good idea

And a way to get people to flip between both shows, but gawd I really wish FOX or CBS would back off on having them be head to head.

Warner Bros dropped brand new trailers for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises seven months before each of those movies had released in late July. In both situations, they dropped new trailers right before Christmas -- not after.

There is only 5 months between October 26th (the rumored date for the new footage) and Batman vs Superman's release in late March.

I'm not saying the rumor is real, but it sounds totally believable that Warner Bros' would get aggressive with their marketing 5 months before release.

In the Dark Knights case, that was literally the first trailer with any footage though. Theres been 2 trailers for this already with footage a-plenty. They don't want to oversaturate and make the film feel tired this early.

Penguin

I am disappointed that we didn't have an official post for hitting the 6 month mark.

We are over the hill.

It's nothing but downhill from here

Within sight!

Penguin

I'm more interested in whether or not we hit the post limit and have to make a new Batman v Superman thread before the movie drops.

I feel like we won't.

Most of the big news will be filtered into actual threads.

And really, I hope most rumors surrounding this movie are over.

We also have a general DCEU thread

Imperial

In the Dark Knights case, that was literally the first trailer with any footage though. Theres been 2 trailers for this already with footage a-plenty. They don't want to oversaturate and make the film feel tired this early.

Yep, the comic con trailer already showed off a whole lot of the film. I dunno what the next promo can reveal without entering some serious spoiler territory

I am disappointed that we didn't have an official post for hitting the 6 month mark.

We are over the hill.

It's nothing but downhill from here

Within sight!

Make a thread

qRKbyn7.png

Don't know why, just bums me out that it's set for March, but it's like the tail end of the month so you may as well just say April :(.

Really wish I lived near an imax so I could have gotten those passes.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
179 days....last time I was this excited about something was Modern Warfare 2. Can't wait till WB goes all out with their marketing, if they are good at something it's building up to a movie. Those last two months will be epic, you'll see Bats and Supes everywhere (and I live in the Netherlands).

I also want to listen to the score so badly. Hope they kept Arcade in the movie.

Sambrez_

Some teasing for next week, Batman related :

Michael Uslan has been the executive producer of every Batman film since Tim Burton's groundbreaking 1989 blockbuster. Now, as he works on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the man behind the Bat has teased a "major announcement" coming at New York Comic Con next week.

"On Saturday October 10 we plan on making a major announcement. Stay tuned," Uslan told the Fan Theory podcast. "Join us at 1:45 p.m. in one of the large rooms. You won't want to miss what's going to take place there."

http://www.newsarama.com/26075-majo...c-according-to-batman-executive-producer.html

a916

12 months out (July 18th, 2011) - First teaser trailer officially leaked, with very minimal new footage

7 months out (December 9th, 2011) - First official trailer released

3 months out (April 30th, 2012) - Second official trailer released

July 20th, 2012 - Movie release

The comic con trailer we got for BvS was 8 months out that revealed plenty of the story, I'm not sure how much they can reveal without getting into really awful spoiler territory. Another trailer in October, and we're 3 trailers (2 real, 1 teaser) in and still 3+ months out when the real marketing blitz begins.

Penguin

I feel like WB is gonna break tradition and do a Super Bowl commercial for BvS.

I feel there's little doubt that they won't.
I mean it's less than 2 months before BvS is released.
And more than anything, they need this to be a hit.

Finalized dates/lineup for the movies? Director for Green Lantern Corps.? Probably another trailer for BvS.

Well, it's currently aimed at a Batman panel.. I see nothing else that it could be

.......yayyyyy....... more Batman......... yayyyyyyy .......can you guys tell how excited I am for more batman....... yayyyy......

If Batman helps the movie sell then whatever, plaster his face everywhere. Though some people might be disappointed when they find out the movie is at best a 50/50 split between the two :p.

Wasn't expecting movie news after seeing all the panels at NYCC being about comics or animation. It would be great if it weren't just bat centric news. I imagine we should be hearing a lot more details about JL soon since it starts pre production early next year.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Any word on whether or not Batman will be using voice modulation throughout the movie? Watching that first teaser still sends shivers down my spine.

Loxley

Any word on whether or not Batman will be using voice modulation throughout the movie? Watching that first teaser still sends shivers down my spine.

Not that I'm aware of, but It seems like a logical thing to do, especially if they want to differentiate Batfleck from Baleman even further.

Plus it sort of just makes sense that Bruce would do something like that instead of trying to speak in a lower register.

My guess is modulator on when fighting criminals or maybe even talking to gordon.

At home with alfred and the league = no voice mods or gruff voice.

DaveH

New trailer for supergirl/gotham premiere?

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2...ails-about-the-next-batman-v-superman-trailer

umberto don't fuk wit me.
I highly skeptical because pitting your own properties against one another in such a stark way seems like bad news. The only way this works well is if everyone sees a boost and it's roughly even across the board. Otherwise it's just inviting comparative criticism... people saying Gotham isn't what Batman should be or that Supergirl is what Superman should be or that Batman is overwhelmingly more popular than Superman, etc.

I'm certain that they've done internal testing on prize-fight or "versus" type marketing. We've already seen hints of it from leaked promo art. It's naturally what you'd expect, but I'm guessing with testing they realized it would be an issue. However, it only really works well if both are roughly equal in popularity. Forcing people to confront their preference has several negative effects:
  1. It causes the less popular property to be undervalued;
  2. It forces people to be less open-minded and stubborn about their choice (and in an election year do we need people more contentious than they're already inclined to be?);
  3. It's well established (oft-cited psychological study) that forcing people to be introspective about their choices makes their choices less sophisticated and more unhappy with their choice in the long run.
I suspect you'll see them always presented together and connected (consider the IMAX posters where you get one character's bust but the other character's symbol) most of the time. The press will do the work of setting them against one another leading up to the film.

The film itself is OK setting them against each other because we know they end up cooperating in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom