• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK brethren (maybe?) hold on to your butts.

XTMGkX4.png

Ehh not getting my hopes up. I doubt its anything more than what we got for NYCC, which was almost nothing. Of course, I'd like to be wrong.

I wonder when we will get the first official image of the Flash in costume and who's gonna be the Justice League's Green Latern. Since we get Barry Allen as the Flash, then I hope we get Hal Jordan as Green Latern. They would make an intersting duo.

DaveH

A couple of interesting tid bits coming out of the Total Film feature:
  • Snyder initially met with Eisenberg for another role (I'm guessing McNairy's) but was so taken after meeting him, he pitched him Lex and Terrio rewrote Lex to line up with Eisenberg.
  • Cavill and Affleck debunk the rumor that they had weightlifting competitions or that any animosity arose from such contests (they trained separately).
  • Batman is still "technically" wanted by the police (clearly outside the law; does "technically" mean the police look the other way or does "technically" mean that Batman's been retired and being "wanted" doesn't mean much if you're not active?).
  • This Batman is really really angry.
  • Everyone loves Gal.
  • The armor is again digital and they're doing more with digital doubles.
  • Everyone gets how historic this is and is grateful.

Zack says at one point: "The advantage that Batman has is the goodness of Superman; the compliance to fair play that Superman has… Batman knows how to exploit Superman."

a916

A couple of interesting tid bits coming out of the Total Film feature:
  • Snyder initially met with Eisenberg for another role (I'm guessing McNairy's) but was so taken after meeting him, he pitched him Lex and Terrio rewrote Lex to line up with Eisenberg.
  • Cavill and Affleck debunk the rumor that they had weightlifting competitions or that any animosity arose from such contests (they trained separately).
  • Batman is still "technically" wanted by the police (clearly outside the law; does "technically" mean the police look the other way or does "technically" mean that Batman's been retired and being "wanted" doesn't mean much if you're not active?).
  • This Batman is really really angry.
  • Everyone loves Gal.
  • The armor is again digital and they're doing more with digital doubles.
  • Everyone gets how historic this is and is grateful.

Zack says at one point: "The advantage that Batman has is the goodness of Superman; the compliance to fair play that Superman has… Batman knows how to exploit Superman."

I'm not understanding what you mean by "armor is again digital and they're more with digital doubles"

IconGrist

I'm not understanding what you mean by "armor is again digital and they're more with digital doubles"

Zod and his male squad members weren't actually wearing armor. It was all digital so I assume that's what he means for Batman's mech suit. Digital doubles is replacing the actor entirely with a CGI double so there's more of this in BvS than in Man of Steel.

That's how I interpreted it anyway.

DaveH

Yup. Like MOS, the Bat-Armor is added digitally. They remarked though how much tech has progressed even in this short amount of time and how it allows them to do more with the digital ["stunt"] doubles than before.

Another big take-away is that Affleck, as of the interview, is not locked into directing a Batman film yet.

The issue is available online: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-film-film-magazine-for/id451467025?mt=8

The trinity cover is slightly animated.

a916

Yup. Like MOS, the Bat-Armor is added digitally. They remarked though how much tech has progressed even in this short amount of time and how it allows them to do more with the digital ["stunt"] doubles than before.

Another big take-away is that Affleck, as of the interview, is not locked into directing a Batman film yet.

The issue is available online: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/total-film-film-magazine-for/id451467025?mt=8

The trinity cover is slightly animated.

I wonder then if the Bat-Armor on display is for close-ups and non-action parts.

I think gal will do a suitable job but I have a hard time believing anything about an actor's performance when the source is the production crew.

WW is the aspect of the film that interests me the most, and I think it gets overlooked a lot. When I saw the trailer attached to avengers, the one part that had people talking the most was when she popped up in costume for the first time. I think it will be a huge draw for audiences.

As cool as it is to see a batman closer to the comics, seeing WW at all is exciting. Especially since I think her costume is the best of the three, and it has all her usual attire.

Wonder Woman is this unknown factor in an oft explored Superman-Batman-Luthor dynamic. I'm as curious to see how she is relevant to the story as I am to see if she is. Least desirable outcome is a role akin to Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

tim1138

Has anyone who went to the IMAX preview event ever heard anything back from WB? I'm surprised my inbox hasn't been inundated with marketing

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Will this be 3D only? I live in the Netherlands and we only seem to get 3D versions of big blockbusters if possible (Age of Ultron for example). Hate it, even non-IMAX screenings are 3D only for these movies. I just want 2D IMAX.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
...did he? Dude got lucky, more like.

Well, the Goyer hate is stupid anyway. Dude worked on BB, TDK, TDKR and MoS. Granted Nolan and his brother probably only used his story ideas for the Batman movies but still. MoS was amazing imo and he was responsible for the screenplay (sure it had some issues). He may not be the best writer, but the internet likes to overreact to certain things and Goyer's writing is one of them. Stephen Mcfeely was part of Thor 2 's screenplay and will be writing Infinity War. But no one is saying shit about him because reasons.

Well, the Goyer hate is stupid anyway. Dude worked on BB, TDK, TDKR and MoS. Granted Nolan and his brother probably only used his story ideas for the Batman movies but still. MoS was amazing imo and he was responsible for the screenplay (sure it had some issues). He may not be the best writer, but the internet likes to overreact to certain things and Goyer's writing is one of them. Stephen Mcfeely was part of Thor 2 's screenplay and will be writing Infinity War. But no one is saying shit about him because reasons.

Damn, didn't know about McFeely.

I do think Goyer is dogpiled on quite a bit though. I think he's a good creative but I don't care for his humor all too much, and his dialogue. I think he's better at writing characters like Blade & Batman that fit the grounded, dramatic mold more easier. Not that Superman cannot be dramatic, (Birthright and Kingdom Come highlight this) just that it requires much more care to handle.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, didn't know about McFeely.

I do think Goyer is dogpiled on quite a bit though. I think he's a good creative but I don't care for his humor all too much, and his dialogue. I think he's better at writing characters like Blade & Batman that fit the grounded, dramatic mold more easier. Not that Superman cannot be dramatic, (Birthright and Kingdom Come highlight this) just that it requires much more care to handle.

Sure, like I said, MoS (while I really loved it and it's my #1 cmb of all time) def. had problems. That horrible, forced kissing scene comes to mind first. But people like to overreact and pretend Goyer is the worst thing ever, which is simply stupid. Some of the writers on Green Lantern (2011) are working on series like Flash and Gotham (which are generally liked), no one gives a shit. Just like it has become 'a thing' to hate on MoS for dumb reasons, the same applies to Goyer. It's become popular to say shit about him for reasons. Is he a great writer? Not really. Is he the worst thing ever people like to say he is while giving a pass to others? No.

Anyway, looking forward to Terrio's screenplay. Keep hearing how great it is. Must be legit.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Goyer was working with infinitely more talented people on the Batman movies. MoS is largely credited to Goyer, and man, there is some broken logic and shitty lines in that movie that collapse the whole thing. Also the guy made Blade 3, and woof, that was an unrepentant piece of shit.

Secondly, Stephen McFeely and his writing partner Christopher Mandrake haven't quite spouted the same level of outright contempt for the primary audience of their movies the way Goyer has. Especially not whilst also being grossly inaccurate in-said-spouting, all of which has built up to him getting straight-up fired from working on the upcoming slate of DC movies...

There are a couple of similarities.

• Batman retires at the end of TDKR - Batman is retired in this
  • Joker is taken to Arkham at the end of TDK - Joker escapes from Arkham in SS
So you could easily segue from watching the Nolan trilogy to jumping into this.... thats about it.

IconGrist

I got to the part about Riddler's question mark in the teaser meaning there is an enigma about Batman's history to be solved and closed it. If that's enough then Man of Steel is a sequel to Watchmen.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
People just like to hate on everything until they actually see it. Then it is either the greatest or the worst thing ever. Ben Affleck is Batman? Booo. Heath Ledger as the Joker? Boooo. Picture of Apocalypse? Booo. etc etc. The internet is stupid and people on GAF are no exception. Just chill the fuck out and judge when the film comes out.

Just from that Empire cover: ''movie is going to be terrible, it is going to bomb, worst rendition of the Joker''....they will never learn.

I am really annoyed by the hyperbole GAF often has. Not just for DC stuff, but for everything. Holy shit that Halo thread.

Edit: Talking about the Review Thread of Halo 5, in case you were wondering.

3N16MA

Banned
Every new iteration of the Joker has to resemble the last. Purple suit or jacket. Failure to have this means the film will be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom