• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, DC can't do anything right with these guys. Woke up, saw the trailer, thought: this they'll like, some fun moments for those who said it was too dark.

Opens the thread....goddamn. Ohh well, your own loss. Gonna enjoy the shit out of this movie.

Tabby

Damn, DC can't do anything right with these guys. Woke up, saw the trailer, thought: this they'll like, some fun moments for those who said it was too dark.

Opens the thread....goddamn. Ohh well, your own loss. Gonna enjoy the shit out of this movie.

If the movie ends up being terrible at least we'll still have an amazing looking movie with the fucking Trinity with great action.

Yager

Banned

The best part of it is that some people are already claming that this DCU is pure trash based on a 2 mins trailer. I seriously don't understand the attitude of most of them, it's like they're looking for things in the movie to dislike.

If the movie ends up being terrible at least we'll still have an amazing looking movie with the fucking Trinity with great action.

See, I have my issues with this even.

Hear me out. This is WB's most important movie for now, they CAN'T fuck this up. They just can't.

Well, they can, people will still see Suicide Squad and The Batman, but you know what I mean.
If they were to fuck this movie up it would've came out this year.

Effect

Had they not pretty much kicked Goyer off the project I'd be worried. That they did and from accounts did a rewrite of the script says to me WB is taking this very seriously and knows they can't fail with this. You can usually tell when a studio isn't confident about a film by how they treat it leading up to it's release. At least a film that is suppose to be big I think. WB isn't acting as if they know or think the film is bad or has issues.

Yeah it looks amazing. I feel bad that there is so much pessimism (not entirely unexpected coming off a 2 year hate train on MoS), but I'm pretty much sold. At the end of the day it's 2 hours of your time and $5-$15, if something even looks remotely interesting I think why not.

The trailer nailed the feeling of a cohesiveness between the properties. I really felt like there was a proto Justice League. Gadot really nailed it and I felt some level of chemistry between Affleck & Cavill where they could be the world's finest. I wish I could have seen Gal speak more though.

The angle I have in mind with Luthor is that he feels he's the next step in human evolution, and he's so far above everyone else. The scene with Lois really sealed that in. If that toy picture is true, they're not fucking around with Lex, he as the brains to back it up. His interactions with Bruce & Clark impart a sense of coyness, behind a facade. The picture they showed of lex bald looks a lot more menacing.

Even better I felt that the dialogue was a step above MoS, which felt stiff at times and was my main complaint with it.

I don't know how anyone can write off the film if they enjoyed the first two trailers but not this one. You have to be naive to not see that trailers go for a certain angle, and they'll cherry pick scenes to fit it. You can say it's a bad trailer but it's not necessarily representative of the film.

If anything these trailers show that WB is actively listening. People didn't care for the destruction, so they tied Batman to the destruction to make Clark answer for it. People thought the trailers were devoid of humor, so they cut up a trailer highlighting some of the humorous parts of the movie. People thought Superman wasn't saving enough people, we've had a few shots dedicated to him saving people.

I cannot stress how much more hyped this has made me for the lineup.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
That awkward moment when you're shaking hands with Superman and Batman.

So455HG.gif
Lex probably knows who they really are and is just being facetious about it.

I don't really see how the trailer give away "too much". I mean, the only new thing is Doomsday, everything else was already known/shown. And don't get me started with the "why would they show Batman and Superman fighting together as a team?", like anybody believed that they wouldn't team up in a movie that has Dawn of Justice in it's fucking title.
That people act surprised that they team up is baffling, the sub-title already imply that if not outright gave it away, why feign surprise now and say the movie was spoiled. The only thing spoiled was Doomsday, but if you are an internet dweller nerd you've already seen or read numerous reports and rumors that explicitly said Doomsday was in the movie.

Yager

Banned
That people act surprised that they team up is baffling, the sub-title already imply that if not outright gave it away, why feign surprise now and say the movie was spoiled. The only thing spoiled was Doomsday, but if you are an internet dweller nerd you've already seen or read numerous reports and rumors that explicitly said Doomsday was in the movie.

Exactly, and I understand WB showing Doomsday. I mean, they've got to show people who will they fight against (again, if anybody thought that the entire movie was going to be about Bats vs Supes, I don't think they belong to this planet). Yes, you can say that the trailer could be better cut or it's poorly edited, but claiming that this will suck? I don't know, sometimes I feel I'm the one that is from another planet.

Also, I dig Lex. And no, I don't think it's Zuckerberg 2.0 from Social Network. I truly believe he will be totally different when talking in private.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
That awkward moment when you're shaking hands with Superman and Batman.

So455HG.gif
That scene alone tells me Lex is straight up hamming it up on purpose as a front to his real personality. It feels like as soon as the cameras are off and the crowd goes home, he'll be back to quiet, scheming, evil Lex. The fact most of the people hating on Lex in that other thread don't see that, blows me away. They're looking past the obvious just to hate on anything they can and it drives me up a fucking wall. I agree that I think the trailer was poorly edited and that they should've saved the Doomsday bit, but I'm not pissed or "OMG whole movie shown" just because they did show him. There's sooo much stuff we haven't seen.

I like the fact the Marvel and DC stuff feel different. Marvel tries to seat themselves in a real world setting, but the DC movies take it in a different direction with a more artsy and fantastical world. They're shot, lit, and staged differently and I don't see why that's a negative. I love both franchises so much and I'm so glad to be alive in a time when I get awesome Marvel and DC movies and TV shows at the same time.

a916

You're supposed to use the good parts of comic books, not the corny ones. I don't hate /every/ banter, just the "Does she come with you? - I thought she came wiith you" psrt. You almost fucking died, Batman.

You know, I hope this was a "family trailer" for Star Wars, I think that's the case as it doesn't seem like a Snyder sanctioned one.

This definitely doesn't look like a Snyder trailer... there wasn't even Zimmer/Junkie XL music in it.

Also, "Batman almost died"... do you really think Batman would ever react to that? He's about as cold as it gets.He almost died in the first issues of Justice League New 52, he gets up and takes off his mask and get's abducted by Darkseid. He's always focused on his mission.

LOL I love this... he's very clearly not "smiling smiling" It's a small smirk, his eyes don't sell it because he's not actually happy. Affleck is going to kill it without using dialogue.

Bruce shaking Lex's hand and muttering his name under his breath, with a "not this freaking guy" tone, convinces me it's Lex trying and failing to be affable. Or simply a normal person, all to mask his sociopathy. It's hard to explain. He's Lex Luthor by way of Nathan Fielder. I'm saying Lex couldn't catch a football.

IconGrist

Showed my wife the trailer a few minutes ago. She has only basic knowledge of the source material that she's picked up from me. She lost her shit at the Doomsday reveal. First time she actually showed an interest in seeing the movie.

Maddocks

See people loose their fucking minds when Doomsday is revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6qouRw7tw

Love to see people losing their minds, and if you watch them individually and you can really tell a good number of people didn't even know doomsday was in the movie and loved the trailer. Some people just really stay in the dark as much as possible as are legit excited. We are spoiled a bit because we soak up every bit of news lol

Ninjimbo

I'm really digging Eisenberg as Lex. Honestly, I think he has more range than people give him credit for. I'm not exactly sure what movie was the one that gave him the Michael Cera's brother stigma, but he hasn't had roles like that for awhile. In movies like Adventureland, The Social Network, and The End of the Tour he's exhibited range that I've never associated with with Cera and shows me that he make you take a broken character seriously. At the very least, he can take a geek and make you see him like a conniving, smartest person in the room kind of asshole which is was at full display in The Social Network.

I haven't read or seen too many Superman stories, so this interpretation of Lex seems pretty unique to me. I definitely want to see more. He's like a mad scientist. I've seen Lex as a genius before but he's always been cool and discrete about it. This Lex seems way more flamboyant about his eccentricities.

overcast

Eh, as somebody who always preferred DC's take on superheroes the trailer was something of a disappointment. I'm still excited to see how it turns out though. Didn't care for MoS, but I still find myself hyped. Hopefully I'm not burned.
That scene alone tells me Lex is straight up hamming it up on purpose as a front to his real personality. It feels like as soon as the cameras are off and the crowd goes home, he'll be back to quiet, scheming, evil Lex. The fact most of the people hating on Lex in that other thread don't see that, blows me away. They're looking past the obvious just to hate on anything they can and it drives me up a fucking wall. I agree that I think the trailer was poorly edited and that they should've saved the Doomsday bit, but I'm not pissed or "OMG whole movie shown" just because they did show him. There's sooo much stuff we haven't seen.
Yeah. I'm not all in on the Lex hate. He isn't gonna be simply a cornball motherfucker. The bald pic gives a much different impression.

So, I am in a position that I haven't consumend anything Superman related before Superman, I read some comics last year, some of them good, some of them boring.

I think that is the biggest reason why I am excited for Mark Zuckerberg playing Martin Luther King, because I didn't have any picture in my head how the character would or should be.

I'm really digging Eisenberg as Lex. Honestly, I think he has more range than people give him credit for. I'm not exactly sure what movie was the one that gave him the Michael Cera's brother stigma, but he hasn't had roles like that for awhile. In movies like Adventureland, The Social Network, and The End of the Tour he's exhibited range that I've never associated with with Cera and shows me that he make you take a broken character seriously. At the very least, he can take a geek and make you see him like a conniving, smartest person in the room kind of asshole which is was at full display in The Social Network.

I haven't read or seen too many Superman stories, so this interpretation of Lex seems pretty unique to me. I definitely want to see more. He's like a mad scientist. I've seen Lex as a genius before but he's always been cool and discrete about it. This Lex seems way more flamboyant about his eccentricities.
You should check out Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. Great story and it shows both of those aspects well.

Eh, as somebody who always preferred DC's take on superheroes the trailer was something of a disappointment. I'm still excited to see how it turns out though. Didn't care for MoS, but I still find myself hyped. Hopefully I'm not burned.

that's more or less where i'm at but any hype i had deflated a lot with this trailer. no marvel bias (me?!) and I enjoy some comics from both companies but this seemed like exactly the kind of comic book movie i'm a bit sick of these days.

vastly preferred the comic con teaser

So, I am in a position that I haven't consumend anything Superman related before Superman, I read some comics last year, some of them good, some of them boring.

I think that is the biggest reason why I am excited for Mark Zuckerberg playing Martin Luther King, because I didn't have any picture in my head how the character would or should be.

Wait what

Also, have you read All-Star Superman or Red Son?

overcast

vastly preferred the comic con teaser
Literally just went back to watch it and yeah.. that's the exact tone I loved.

The scene of Superman in court, Bruce in Metropolis, Alfred walking in a field before a burned down Wayne Manor, the visions of Superman's heroics with Ma Kent talking. Really gave me this feeling of what effect these heroes can have on our world. Well as tangibly as that can be. It was heavy, but I like that tone.

Hopefully the overall movie is closer to that. I don't mind the jokes either.

My hype levels will be insane if they spot Dwayne Johnson on set for JL. I still don't understand why they would sign him so early for a 2019 movie, if not to make an appearance sooner.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Don't care about the Rock, never will. Gimme a fun Shazam.

So bummed the trailer didn't have Zimmers score :( come on Hans, I need it in my life.

guek

Banned
He should I believe. If I'm remembering the comic correctly those spikes appear as the fight with Superman takes place. He didn't start with them at the start of the fight. Everyone seems to just remember the very end of the fight or how he looks once it's over and not the fight itself.
Huh? I don't think this is true. I'll have to double check my copy once I get home.

Huh? I don't think this is true. I'll have to double check my copy once I get home.

He's kinda right. The fight starts with Doomsday in a full-body (and head) concealing suit, but as soon as that gets ripped he's clearly got the spikes. I do think they might get bigger, and his hair gets longer/looser, as the fight goes on, but they're definitely there at the start. If that is what Snyder's doing, it'll be the first time it's been done.

Yeah he had the spikes from the beginning of death of superman.

I'm totally fine with it, if he grows them to replace damaged tissue. It's a cool effect and will force the trinity to think on their feet on how to contain him. It might directly address complaints about Superman killing Zod, he'll have to devise a way to contain him with help from WW & Batman, showing that teamwork is effective.

tim1138

Yeah he had the spikes from the beginning of death of superman.

I'm totally fine with it, if he grows them to replace damaged tissue. It's a cool effect and will force the trinity to think on their feet on how to contain him. It might directly address complaints about Superman killing Zod, he'll have to devise a way to contain him with help from WW & Batman, showing that teamwork is effective.

Like shooting him into space and having him end up on Apokalips where Darkseid casually obliterates him with his Omega Beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom