• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Can't see any of them playing Nightwing. We need more criteria GAF. Funny, charming and a big dick. Get on it, post the list and we'll vote.

I think Ryan Gosling could be a great Dick Greyson but I don't see him ever wanting to play a superhero.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Owh yeah, forgot about Scott Eastwood. The hell with Dan Stevens, Scott is more handsome. Sorry Dan.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
So... Jon Hamm?

A Nightwing older than Batman. Now there is an idea.

I think Ryan Gosling could be a great Dick Greyson but I don't see him ever wanting to play a superhero.

We don't want Batman to get jealous now, do we?

GoslingScene3.jpg

Just think, around two years ago actors rumored to portray Nightwing became Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and The Flash (Ezra Miller). What if that third guy was picked.

Penguin

To put this thread back on track

This is a cool pic

635874749848478661-BVS-FP-0981.jpg

Batman v Superman is very much about humanity’s perspective on the Man of Steel, Cavill says, and when he faces Batman, the last son of Krypton knows he can put him in the ground — a weakness exploited by Affleck’s savvy do-gooder.

“He can sure as hell take Batman out if he wants to, and Batman takes advantage of that,” Cavill says, comparing Superman’s constrained Clark Kent side to a dad playing football with a bunch of children.

IconGrist

To put this thread back on track

This is a cool pic

635874749848478661-BVS-FP-0981.jpg

I'm not sure what Cavill means by that. Being able to put Batman in the ground with minimal effort doesn't sound like something you can take advantage of. Unless he meant Superman has his guard down and Batman takes advantage of Superman not paying attention and underestimating Batman's abilities.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Euhm, maybe this?

Batman urges Superman to kill him, but Superman refuses. Batman then reveals that the fight was designed to test Superman. From that reddit leak 6 months ago.

I'm not sure what Cavill means by that. Being able to put Batman in the ground with minimal effort doesn't sound like something you can take advantage of. Unless he meant Superman has his guard down and Batman takes advantage of Superman not paying attention and underestimating Batman's abilities.

That's what he means. Superman can put Batman down, but he won't - and Batman knows that so he can take advantage. It's why he uses the "dad playing football with his kids" analogy, Clark has to hold back when he's dealing with someone like Bruce. He can clobber the shit out of Zod/Faora, but not a human.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Now that they've started the marketing machine and we have less than 3 months to go, the wait is even harder. Last night I had a dream about this movie. Can't remember the details tho :(

Are we going to start listing actors we want to part of this universe? I really want Olga Kurylenko to be part of it. I was psyched to hear she was up for the role of WW. Too bad she lost it to Gadot.

Theres always Zatanna.

I have a feeling in that first clip Batman is telling Superman to meet him at the Bat Signal, like he's literally arranging the fight right there.

Vyer

Since he mentions 'humanity's perspective', I'm guessing it has more to do with Batman taking advantage of the concern/fear of Superman that the public might have after MoS. especially if Gotham in the movie is fairly positive about Batman, then Bruce might be staging it where Superman beating on Bats is a very public event to help play up the negative public sentiment.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Does Ayer make all his actors fight each other? It says Ben showed up for one day and Ayer made him fight or was it just a figure of speech? I know the cast of Fury actually knocked each other around on set.

I'm thinking just a fight scene. Doubt anyone would want to go against Batfleck.

• Williams would return to score
  • The distinction between Clark Kent at Smallville, Clark the reporter and Smallville would return.

I think ignoring the latter will be the biggest mistake in this reboot. The juxtaposition between the bumbling farm-boy smitten with Lois and his godlike secret abilities only made the character more fun and interesting. I know there are fans out there who agree with me on this, and hopefully one day one of them will be directing the reboot.

Right now, there isn't a difference between the two. It's just Superman with glasses on.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
  • The distinction between Clark Kent at Smallville, Clark the reporter and Smallville would return.

I think ignoring the latter will be the biggest mistake in this reboot. The juxtaposition between the bumbling farm-boy smitten with Lois and his godlike secret abilities only made the character more fun and interesting. I know there are fans out there who agree with me on this, and hopefully one day one of them will be directing the reboot.

Right now, there isn't a difference between the two. It's just Superman with glasses on.

Well, good thing it's not up to you then.

Also, Zimmers theme is so much better.

strafer

Would love another Superman scored by Williams but not in this universe they've set up, he doesn't fit.

orsonwellesclapping.gif

The thing w/ Williams scoring the movie is, you're trying to separate from the older Superman movies. There's no point in doing a reboot, wanting to separate from those movies, but having the guy who scored those flicks come in and (more than likely) use his old stuff.

If there is another Superman series, I really hope they don't go with Williams even though I love his score.

EDIT: And pleasepleaseplease no more bumbling farm boy. I'm glad as fuck that's gone away along with Lois not knowing who he is.

The thing w/ Williams scoring the movie is, you're trying to separate from the older Superman movies. There's no point in doing a reboot, wanting to separate from those movies, but having the guy who scored those flicks come in and (more than likely) use his old stuff.

If there is another Superman series, I really hope they don't go with Williams even though I love his score.

Using this logic, you could justify anything.

• Remove the cape.
  • Get rid of the blue and red.
  • Make him a villain.
  • Have him raised by a single parent.
  • Get rid of the Krypton element.

It's not about staying true to an original, or moving away from it. If we're going to make a movie about a pop icon, then let's begin by actually making him recognisable and use whatever is actually great.

Change for the sake of change doesn't make sense, especially when you lessens the depth of the character.

EDIT: And pleasepleaseplease no more bumbling farm boy.

Why though?

The conversation Lois and Richard had about Clark in Returns epitomises how important it is. Notice how she compares Clark's height to Superman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3olOMYMM44

IconGrist

• Remove the cape.
  • Make him a villain.

It's not about staying true to an original, or moving away from it. If we're going to make a movie about a pop icon, then let's begin by actually making him recognisable and use whatever is actually great.

Change for the sake of change doesn't make sense, especially when you lessens the depth of the character.

That doesn't allow the material to evolve. Good or bad change is necessary. That version of Superman is not met with the same adoration now as it had during its time.

• Remove the cape.
  • Make him a villain.

How exactly does not having the score "lessen the depth" of the character? What does taking the march away do that fundamentally changes Clark's story?

EDIT: I don't have a problem with a dichotomy/split, but there are other ways of doing that besides bumbling farm boy.

• Remove the cape.
  • Make him a villain.

EDIT: And pleasepleaseplease no more bumbling farm boy.

Why though?

The conversation Lois and Richard had about Clark in Returns epitomises how important it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3olOMYMM44

The Williams' score isn't core to the character like the things you listed.

Penguin

• Remove the cape.
  • Make him a villain.

They've... done pretty much all of that but the Krypton one (to my knowledge) in the comics, and he still remains Superman.

IconGrist

The trumpets and drums reflect a character heralded as a saviour; a hero. Play that score and almost everyone recognises it. To me, it's more meaningful than his S.

Then it is not the character you care for. It's the idea in your head. That song is no more essential to the character than the color of his skin. Both things that can be changed without sacrificing core elements.

I didn't like Williams theme in the Returns score, it was poorly implemented and you could feel the distinction between his typical style and when he was trying to imitate Williams. I would rather they always try something new in new continuities. I also think its disrespectful to the composers you bring in to make new material.

Are people defending the removal of Williams, or defending the right to change core tenets about the Superman mythos? Accepting it is one thing, but defending it? Disappointed.

Well, the score will one day comeback, and so will Clark. At least there is that much to look forward to.

superman_returns.gif

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Are people defending the removal of Williams, or defending the right to change core tenets about the Superman mythos? Accepting it is one thing, but defending it? Disappointed.

Well, the score will one day comeback, and so will Clark. At least there is that much to look forward to.]

Both. Williams score isn't that good and wouldn't have fit these movies anyway. In return we got a much better theme and OST that fits the movie perfectly.

They got rid of the red underwear for a reason. It was pretty silly and would look even more dumb with this version of Superman. Comics change things all the time. Why not movies?

And yeah, sure. I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom