• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I will stake most anything on the fact that the score will never return to a movie.

If anything, it may become a legacy thing like how the Raimi Spider-man movies would play the animated series theme song in special ways.

But being "the theme" for Superman, it's done. Retired. Gone.

Returns is whats wrong with modern day film-making though. Its hanging off the nuts of an old film and imitating rather than innovating. If i want to watch a Donner film i'll watch the Donner film. Like if I want to watch The Force Awakens i'll watch A New Hope.

Williams' theme does nothing for me. I understand why it's important to some, but it does absolutely nothing for me and I wouldn't consider it a core element of Superman.

Are people defending the removal of Williams, or defending the right to change core tenets about the Superman mythos? Accepting it is one thing, but defending it? Disappointed.

Well, the score will one day comeback, and so will Clark. At least there is that much to look forward to.

superman_returns.gif

The score isn't on par with the Superman/Clark divide, and you don't need to go full-on bumbling fool to sell the difference. It's too early to say how well/poorly it was done in BvS (though I'm inclined to think that they didn't go far enough, judging by the footage), so relax, bro.

IconGrist

Returns is whats wrong with modern day film-making though. Its hanging off the nuts of an old film and imitating rather than innovating. If i want to watch a Donner film i'll watch the Donner film. Like if I want to watch The Force Awakens i'll watch A New Hope.

Lol, careful. Let's not get that back and forth going in here. :p

a916

Zimmer's score is better and more importantly, it fits this movie better. There's a sense of power behind it.

Williams score lacked any real punch. Zimmer did, however, include the similar beats such as the escalating/uplifting part.

I will stake most anything on the fact that the score will never return to a movie.

If anything, it may become a legacy thing like how the Raimi Spider-man movies would play the animated series theme song in special ways.

But being "the theme" for Superman, it's done. Retired. Gone.

I actually liked Elfman's Batman and Spiderman more, kills me that they are gone.

I am very worried about Batman's theme in this, doubt its even Zimmer's level.

Penguin

I actually liked Elfman's Batman and Spiderman more, kills me that they are gone.

I am very worried about Batman's theme in this, doubt its even Zimmer's level.

Heck I love those, and I love Williams' Superman, but I also know that you roll with the punches.

They were made with specific movies/characters in mind.

Happy they didn't try to replicate it with the new movies/takes.

Same way if/when this universe is rebooted, I'd imagine Zimmer's theme will be retired.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what his Wonder Woman and Aquaman theme will be like. Different instruments for every character?

I certainly cannot understand you people that say Zimmer's Superman theme is better than Williams'... to me, it's not even close, Williams' is so iconic like the Star Wars or Indy Jones ones. To me, it could be played during the credits of every Superman movie, like the Bond theme is.

But let's all agree to disagree here.

Anyway... I've just rewatched the SDCC trailer and noticed a lot of things I haven't caught before. Man, I am so glad this movie is coming out (even though I disagree with the core idea that Batman can beat Superman). I think this movie will show how big of a hero Superman is, even if it needs a kinda psycho Batman as somewhat of a villain to do it.

I am still hyped, and to think we're less than three months away...

Are people defending the removal of Williams, or defending the right to change core tenets about the Superman mythos? Accepting it is one thing, but defending it? Disappointed.

Well, the score will one day comeback, and so will Clark. At least there is that much to look forward to.

superman_returns.gif

Contrary to popular belief, Superman as a character has evolved and developed over the years. The Williams theme is iconic, but it isn't the end all, be all of Superman (and I don't really see it fitting, thematically, to MoS), particularly if you keep up even a bit with the Superman comics, and not just movie adaptations. Superman has had varying degrees of changes over the years, adapting to new generations, while maintaining his core character to a degree. This fact seems lost on a lot of Superman fans. I don't mean to say that what you want is wrong, but there have been so many cool and different interpretations of Superman in the comics, I'm happy to see some of the different takes present itself on screen and I'm surprised some aren't.

Loxley

Clark/Bruce/Lex commercial during the Globes

Saw it during the Eagles/Vikings game as well. What I like about that TV spot is it's just dialogue, neither character is in-costume or kicking ass. It says something about Batman and Superman that WB can release a piece of marketing featuring just Bruce and Clark talking to each other to build hype.

a916

I certainly cannot understand you people that say Zimmer's Superman theme is better than Williams'... to me, it's not even close, Williams' is so iconic like the Star Wars or Indy Jones ones. To me, it could be played during the credits of every Superman movie, like the Bond theme is.

But let's all agree to disagree here.

Anyway... I've just rewatched the SDCC trailer and noticed a lot of things I haven't caught before. Man, I am so glad this movie is coming out (even though I disagree with the core idea that Batman can beat Superman). I think this movie will show how big of a hero Superman is, even if it needs a kinda psycho Batman as somewhat of a villain to do it.

I am still hyped, and to think we're less than three months away...

My biggest worry is, how do they make the angle seem believable. If Batman is really smart, why wouldn't he know right away he was being played... it's a fine line they'll have to walk.

Also, same line of thought, how do you do this without making Batman look like a huge dick.. or is that the plan all along and you use Batman to job to Superman to get Superman over with the crowd?

Saw it during the Eagles/Vikings game as well. What I like about that TV spot is it's just dialogue, neither character is in-costume or kicking ass. It says something about Batman and Superman that WB can release a piece of marketing featuring just Bruce and Clark talking to each other to build hype.

It's a really "on the nose" type commercial like "oh boy you guys better not fight, wink wink" to the fans watching it at home. Something I didn't expect after the initial teaser and SDCC trailer. But this is a TV spot for those who are turned off from the super serious grim trailer to show that it's a more balanced film.

My biggest worry is, how do they make the angle seem believable. If Batman is really smart, why wouldn't he know right away he was being played... it's a fine line they'll have to walk.

Also, same line of thought, how do you do this without making Batman look like a huge dick.. or is that the plan all along and you use Batman to job to Superman to get Superman over with the crowd?

Everything we've heard about this Batman paints the picture of a man disillusioned and bitter over the campaign he wages going on twenty years and losing. His frustrations come from a relatable place. Have to imagine Superman adds new perspective to his pessimism. The key is having Batman come around by the end; and ideally, Superman has a big role in inspiring Batman to be heroic again.

BadAss2961

Also, same line of thought, how do you do this without making Batman look like a huge dick.. or is that the plan all along and you use Batman to job to Superman to get Superman over with the crowd?.
It's okay for Batman to be a dick. He'll be among gods soon where part of his role is being the wildcard of the group. The fighting will probably end in Superman's favor, but you know Batman's going to come out of this looking stronger than ever. Those who've only really seen the movies can't figure how he'll even make it respectable.

Bruce's hate for Superman seems to stem from day 1 with the Zod fight. Lex might just have to egg him on more than play with his mind. Where they go with the "you let your family die" message should be interesting.

Both. Williams score isn't that good and wouldn't have fit these movies anyway. In return we got a much better theme and OST that fits the movie perfectly.

They got rid of the red underwear for a reason. It was pretty silly and would look even more dumb with this version of Superman. Comics change things all the time. Why not movies?

And yeah, sure. I guess.

lol holy shit you're so wrong. opinions and all that though, i like zimmer. his man of steel theme was great. but "isn't that good" on a williams masterpiece...scust. that shit was the definition of hope.

i definitely think it wouldn't have fit in man of steel though. plus cavill's superman wasn't really worthy of it either. he's a good guy in the movie but it's kind of hard to root for him or like him all that much, he's just dour most of the time. snyder really needs to lighten him up in the sequel. ffs they have batman in it to give us the mood anyways.

it's a smart decision to move on from the williams theme, but make no mistake. it's one of the GOATs.

I like both William's and Zimmer's theme.

I think using William's theme for Man of Steel would be a mistake though. This is a different take on Superman and it needs to separate itself from the old. It needs to show that it's good enough to stand on it's own rather than rely on a past incarnation. It would work if it was a sequel to Donner's films and within the same continuity, but it's not. It's not Donner's Superman, and an integral part of being Donner's Superman is John William's theme.

There's also the issue that every Justice League member's theme is done by Zimmer. You'd have to have Williams come back in and record all the themes for consistency, that's not an easy task for a man in his advanced age. As much as it pains me to say it, he may not be with us within the next 5 years as all these films roll out.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a Shazam theme done by Elfman though. It would fit his kid nature.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It seems like just about everyone knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Superman, Luthor, Joker. Its sort of weird, but it could be interesting.

Effect

It seems like just about everyone knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Superman, Luthor, Joker. Its sort of weird, but it could be interesting.

Sort of like that in the comics I think. Well Joker likely knows but doesn't care. Batman is who he's concerned about and feels is the real persona anyway. I think it was shown in recent comics that Luthor had known for a while but didn't really care as well.

shingi70

Banned
Sort of like that in the comics I think. Well Joker likely knows but doesn't care. Batman is who he's concerned about and feels is the real persona anyway. I think it was shown in recent comics that Luthor had known for a while but didn't really care as well.

Luthor found out after forever evil and used that knowledge to get on the justice league.

IconGrist

Joker doesn't seem like someone who gives a shit about who Batman is. That's the uninteresting side of Batman (according to him). Batman is the crazy one so that's who Joker cares about.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
True. I think the newspaper does though (if its the Joker who did it).

It could just be the Joker being an asshole though.

Bruce Wayne's parent's death is pretty well known, so mocking more people dying around Bruce could just be something the Joker does, like a 4chan troll.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here's one for you, do you think Wonder Woman and Aquaman will be named in the film?

I think the best way to handle it is to have the media create the names for them.

Then you get a nice little scene where Wonder Woman is happy about the name and Aquaman is angry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom