• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
The third trailer did pretty well to establisb Bat and Supes hate each other for logical reasons. I have no objections with Supes trying to shut down Bats "Reign of terror"

a916

I think I just blew my own mind... I've always wondered, why would Superman show up when Batman lights his own light (why would he light his own light too?)

This actually makes sense now... Superman warned him to not go to it and bury it. Batman, out of defiance, preps out and lights it and tells him it's go time. It actually makes believable sense.

You got to put in the work and call people out, man. I've been at this all fuckin' night. I hate having to make people just talk about the movie.

You're fighting the good fight here. I read one of the posts saying it was a definite bomb, under 500M box office. Rolled my eyes and just closed the thread.

The third trailer did pretty well to establisb Bat and Supes hate each other for logical reasons. I have no objections with Supes trying to shut down Bats "Reign of terror"

We need a scene with Superman not coming off as a dick or Jesus.
He needs a bit of the "friendly neighborhood" Superman going on because MOS didn't really have it either.

(not saying he needs it against Batman but in general this version of Superman needs a dash of it.)

IconGrist

I think I just blew my own mind... I've always wondered, why would Superman show up when Batman lights his own light (why would he light his own light too?)

This actually makes sense now... Superman warned him to not go to it and bury it. Batman, out of defiance, preps out and lights it and tells him it's go time. It actually makes believable sense.

Haha, I had the same revelation. I was like, "oh okay, now I get why Superman would just randomly show up to Bat signal being lit".

You're fighting the good fight here. I read one of the posts saying it was a definite bomb, under 500M box office. Rolled my eyes and just closed the thread.

Lol, those are my favorite type of posts. And I wouldn't call it a fight exactly. I'd just like to be able to talk about the damn movie without being restricted to just this thread. Not everybody comes here, you know? Hell I doubt too many even know this thread is a thing.

He needs a bit of the "friendly neighborhood" Superman going on because MOS didn't really have it either.

Those moments will happen, but they don't push narrative and they're not going to release them as clips. When the basis of the movie is why Batman and Superman want to fight thats what they're going to pepper in talkshow clips in the build up to release. We see from the quick glimpses in trailers Superman saving people.

DaveH

I agree. We need and want those scenes.

However, I'm guessing it's going to be towards the end and that might be hard for some people. Remember that this is still a Dawn, which means it needs to be and is going to get Dark.

I get that people wanted strong and resolute Superman, but it wouldn't have played against people wailing in a 9/11-esque apocalypse... so they had to move past it and just give us a glimpse of his happy life to be... which is why it's all about him starting to talk with Washington (through Gen. Swanwick) and starting a new life in Metropolis... it's a hopeful beginning, but not all-out "Happily Ever After."

BvS is going to probably going to flesh that out a little... like any big life-change, there's going to be some good, some bad, and some uncertainty... so he won't be "friendly neighborhood" in the beginning because 2/3rds of the mix is "bad and uncertainty", but we'll get the big rescues, the living with Lois, the dual ID... but we'll also get weirdness of being treated like a god, Perry yelling at him, and the weight of the responsibility, etc.

The fight with Bats and then with Bats is going to be therapeutic and work out a ton of issues... and THEN, exhausted and spent in our seats, we might get a glimpse of a "Happily Ever After" as much as might happen in the real world and that's where you'll get your "friendly neighborhood" Supes if at all.

I'm a little conflicted whether it's better to walk out of a theater with a happy ending or something more ambiguous. A happy ending is incredibly satisfying and a happy ending can change how you feel about an entire film and how its defined in your mind (well studied psychological phenomena that people rate the pain of therapy or pleasure of an experience, heavily weighting the ending as opposed to peaks or averages)... loads of films are OK, but have exceptional endings that elevate them.

However, the dissatisfaction of an ambiguous ending can drive audiences to rewatch a film over-and-over (experiencing the highs) subconsciously as-if rewatching the film will change the ending... this is used to relatively good effect in The Force Awakens.

Ideally, BvS has a balance... a really satisfactory conclusion to Batman and Superman's conflict and enmity, but a sense of open optimistic hope / ambiguity towards the adventure of the League and the wide-open potential of the DC universe unleashed.

tl;dr: Expect a heavy movie with a surprisingly happy ending.

BvS threads are becoming increasingly impossible to read.

People are arguing about the most asinine nonsense ever.

Why must people insist on talking shit or arguing about a movie they haven't seen, or clearly want to fail.

So damn annoying. Every single thread.

strafer

Why must people insist on talking shit or arguing about a movie they haven't seen, or clearly want to fail.

Ignore the threads.

The movie is so close now.

My God, it's legit been 3 years. I'm gonna a be so miserable for a few days if this movie doesn't deliver after this much waiting.

Not even the longest waits for metal gear or gran turismo were this bad.

a916

At least we've moved past most of the dumb ones like why are they even fighting, why is DC even bothering and this movie will flop.

Eh look past the negatives and see that discussion is healthy for this movie. That clip thread is 3 pages from being longer than the Thor 2 OT. People want to talk about this thing. Good or bad.

Trying to piece together the movie based on Faraci's reporting and the trailers:

Movie will start with a heavy focus on Batman. Most likely open with MoS fight, Bruce saves little girl, receives threat letter that prompts him to go back into training. Next is Batman doing training (tire pulling) spliced with his origin montage. Supes is called to court. I think Superman's conversation with his mother from the first trailer is right after the fight as well. He's looking for guidance from her, and decides to become Metropolis's protector after that and go esto the trial. He stands trial and is cleared by the senate. Next it's Superman saving people montage with an 8 month time skip

Fast forwards 8 months to current day. Batman going around branding people. Movie shows Superman's current position in life with Lois. Something prompts Superman to investigate Batman, Faraci says Lex has taken superman's mother hostage. Luthor makes him confront Batman, Superman threatens Batman as seen in this conan clip. Batman retaliates by breaking into Lex Corp and steals kryptonite. Armored Batman laced with Kryptonite activates the floodlight and they do the fight sequence.

Some point later Doomsday shows up and they fight him. Batman has ditched his robotic armor and is using his jet to help fight. WW shows up as well.

Luthor put away in jail after second hearing with the senators. Trinity forms the justice league, maybe they'll do a montage of possible candidates or other leads based on rumors (would fit with Batman tracking down metahumans like WW), maybe this is where Aquaman/Flash will fit in.

What I don't know:

-Where the dinner party takes place. I'm assuming it's after Superman delivers the threat. That way Clark knows who Bruce is and maybe Bruce has derived who Superman is.
-If the Bruce/Diana dance is the same party. I'm guessing it will be.
-Who has the nightmare sequence and when. I'm guessing it's after the timeskip and after Superman's threat. Diana receives the nightmare and goes to Gotham (or Metropolis) in time for the dinner party.
-Where aquaman and flash show up. I'm assuming Knightmare sequence or at the end of the movie.
-Luthor & Doomsday's origin. At this point I'm assuming they try to clone Zod and some countermeasure put in by Bertram prevents this from happening, creating Doomsday.
-How Lex loses his hair.
-Dan Amboyer's role.
-Batwing blowing up people.
-How Lex discovers Superman's identity.
-If Batman is branding people or Luthor is framing him.
-If Lex suits up or not.
-4th act?
-How Doomsday's fight is resolved and if he'll evolve.
-How Batman loses armor. Maybe Superman will tear it off, I'm personally hoping the BvS fight is resolved peacefully with a plan to free Supe's mom, which leads to them confronting Luthor & Doomsday.

Still a lot of shit we don't know and I've been following this movie religiously.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Comic book come to life

p5r604U.png

God damn. That looks great. They need to be super careful with lightning, when everything is crushed black he'll look horrible.
My GF immediately said out loud "damn, Affleck got chubby" after seeing the teaser.

-If the Bruce/Diana dance is the same party. I'm guessing it will be.

I hadn't heard about a dance, but looking at an image of Bruce in a tux and Diana in a white dress thats definitely a different scene to Lex's party where she is in red and he's in a black suit

-Where aquaman and flash show up.

I think Aquaman is in containment and Flash is just on a monitor. No end fight meet up,

-Luthor & Doomsday's origin. At this point I'm assuming they try to clone Zod and some countermeasure put in by Bertram prevents this from happening, creating Doomsday.

I'm sticking with Lex using Aquamans trident on Zod's body

-How Lex loses his hair.

I'm going with Kryptonite poisoning

-If Batman is branding people or Luthor is framing him.

I think its pretty likely Batman is doing it because the Hot Toys figure or whatever it was had it is as a accessory.

BadAss2961

But the hype is real. What am I to do? Sit around and just think about the movie? I need people like BadAss2961 to keep the hype healthy and well.
Hhklehd.gif
God damn. That looks great. They need to be super careful with lightning, when everything is crushed black he'll look horrible.
My GF immediately said out loud "damn, Affleck got chubby" after seeing the teaser.

I think the chubby thing is one of those preconceptions people will have to just get used to. The look is almost entirely based on The Dark Knight Returns, where Batman is an old mean bulky sumbitch.

Cool as this Batsuit is, I'm pulling for a whole new suit in Justice League. A transformation akin to New Frontier or the reverse of The Dark Knight Returns. Externalize the transformation that presumably occurs.

I hadn't heard about a dance, but looking at an image of Bruce in a tux and Diana in a white dress thats definitely a different scene to Lex's party where she is in red and he's in a black suit

I think Aquaman is in containment and Flash is just on a monitor. No end fight meet up,

I'm sticking with Lex using Aquamans trident on Zod's body

I'm going with Kryptonite poisoning

I think its pretty likely Batman is doing it because the Hot Toys figure or whatever it was had it is as a accessory.

Dunno he just looks like he's close enough to WW that he's whispering into her ear or they're doing a dance. It looks like a high society party compared to the other one which looks like an art gallery.

I think it's likely Batman is doing the branding. They describe Ben's Batman as the most angry potrayal yet. I'm not a fan of angry Bats, I like compassionate Batman the best. I do think that the batwing blowing up people is a frame up. I'll be really disappointed if this Batman kills. I can't imagine Geoff approving that. They had a hard time getting Superman to kill Zod.

I do think that whatever capacity Aquaman & Flash show up they won't be fighting alongside the trinity.

Did you all talk about this yet? Was published yesterday.

Another Faraci Rumor

This could be a gamechanger too. I had heard previous rumors that some sequences with Superman were actually Bizarro, explaining his out of character behavior. I really have no idea what is going on in this film anymore. WB has kept it under wraps through a lot of diversion.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Another Faraci Rumor

This could be a gamechanger too. I had heard previous rumors that some sequences with Superman were actually Bizarro, explaining his out of character behavior. I really have no idea what is going on in this film anymore. WB has kept it under wraps through a lot of diversion.

There was one shot in the trailer, when Luthor says: ''The devil will do it'', you see Superman behind him with his arms crossed. That is weird and the only reason I kinda would believe this rumour.

There was one shot in the trailer, when Luthor says: ''The devil will do it'', you see Superman behind him with his arms crossed. That is weird and the only reason I kinda would believe this rumour.

Supermans behaviour from the kneeling bit looks dodgy, like Lex waving his hand over his head like he's controlling him. Maybe Lex has a way to mind control somewhat. That shot with his arms crossed looks like its in the crashed Kyrptonian ship.

Argall

Neo Member

Another Faraci Rumor

Maybe that explains the different Lego minifigs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190375422&postcount=15892

Another Faraci Rumor

lmao

only thing this film is missing is a cameo from Dean Cain.

Another Faraci Rumor

That seems like way too much, even for me.

That seems like way too much, even for me.

Same but it depends on how they pull it off.

If he appears right after Doomsday I think that'd be stupid. If it's a clever Nolan-like twist and is sensible, and he appears at the worst time for them, I'd be for it. Like imagine the doomsday fight getting barely under control, and then Bizarro is thrown into the mix. Then the trinity would really have to think on their feet and could show how teamwork is needed. I could see Superman occupying Doomsday at a remote location while Bats & WW figure out how to fight Bizarro by working together.

I really like over the top fights so I'm not a hard sell so long as they're smart about it.

That Lex OS Superman logo shirt is also starting to make more sense.

Who knows, but it's fun for me to speculate. I did rewatch the last two trailers and all the Superman shots where I could see his full body had red boots. The kneeling to Lex scene and him standing behind lex at the lab scene didn't have lower body shots though.

Did any of the reddit leaks mention both Bizarro and DD?

I thought Ben was Deathstroke. wtf mang.

Wouldn't be surprised if LexOS is a control mechanism for this Bizarro.

We're getting ahead of ourselves anyway, this is based off a latino review report :|.

Magwik

Banned
what if Bizarro evolves into Doomsday? Lex creates Bizarro to destroy the image of Superman, something bad happens, and Bizarro then becomes Doomsday.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Ben was Deathstroke. wtf mang.

Wouldn't be surprised if LexOS is a control mechanism for this Bizarro.

We're getting ahead of ourselves anyway, this is based off a latino review report :|.

Gotta do something until the SS trailer.

Another Faraci Rumor

Not a stretch to imagine a scenario wherein
Bizarro isn't a villain, per se, but a figure who aids in stopping Doomsday, if not instrumental in his defeat as piece of Luthor's grand plan. Superman Doomsday animated film and Lex Luthor Man of Steel are but two stories to explore those ideas. Works towards a Legion of Doom threat should Justice League go there.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
what if Bizarro evolves into Doomsday? Lex creates Bizarro to destroy the image of Superman, something bad happens, and Bizarro then becomes Doomsday.

He still uses Zod's body for Doomsday. This whole thing is just weird, I don't know what to believe.

DaveH

Another Faraci Rumor
The way I see it as an
add-on is as a montage replacing Starro with a Doomsday-Bizarro.

Basically, this is the ending of Watchmen again. A giant space tentacle vagina monster was a bridge-too-far so Dr. Manhattan stood in. Well, Starro is the DCU's version of that giant space tentacle vagina monster... historically the first villain that brings together the Justice League but a little bit of an embarrassing history.

NO ONE has clamored for Justice League Part 1 to be about Starro.

BUT, in a reality where the corpse of Zod yields Doomsday... imagine what the living tissue + the Kryptonian Codex might = Justice League-level Doomsday-Bizarro hybrid more terrifying that just Zod's Doomsday. A threat where you might just need to double the Trinity in order to tackle. So you end the movie with the League recreating the cover of Brave & The Bold #28, with BIZarro instead of STarro.
Brave_bold_28.jpg

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Screw that, I want space tentacle vagina monster. And it to look like an actual vagina.

shingi70

Banned
The way I see it as an

Basically, this is the ending of Watchmen again. A giant space tentacle vagina monster was a bridge-too-far so Dr. Manhattan stood in. Well, Starro is the DCU's version of that giant space tentacle vagina monster... historically the first villain that brings together the Justice League but a little bit of an embarrassing history.

BUT, in a reality where the corpse of Zod yields Doomsday... imagine what the living tissue + the Kryptonian Codex might = Justice League-level Doomsday-Bizarro hybrid more terrifying that just Zod's Doomsday. A threat where you might just need to double the Trinity in order to tackle. So you end the movie with the League recreating the cover of Brave & The Bold #28, with BIZarro instead of STarro.
Brave_bold_28.jpg

Get out Starro or bust.

tim1138

The way I see it as an

Brave_bold_28.jpg

Starro or we riot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom