• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Lol no. The marketing is great and on point, the movie will make tons of money. My problem is Zack Snyder's inability to make a movie I can enjoy. :p

I've actually thought the marketing has been... questionable at times.

Very start/stop

No real clear angle (Like I'm surprised they didn't or haven't tried to push the whole #TeamnBatman/#TeamSuperman stuff like the cereals and Hot Topic)

But the movie itself looks fine to me.

IconGrist

Dude, I'm not saying there isn't a reason for it or it's somehow singularly the fault of the fandom. Obviously it doesn't happen in MCU threads for reasons other than quality.

You're losing me here. Would you mind clarifying because it sounds like you are agreeing with me but then I'm lost as to why we even got into this conversation in the first place.

The marketing peaked with the Comic-Con trailer.

2Long2Edgy. Same old Snyder "style" though. I'm so tired of his over saturated visuals with slow-mo and shit. 300 was fun the first time, and ever since then it's like every of his films look the same, and not in a good way!

I like Watchmen, i think its got better the further away from release I got from it. He got good performances out of Niteowl, Rorscach, Comedian and especially Dr Manhattan. The only issue I have is some of the songs. 300 could only ever be as good as the source material, but i think Dawn of the Dead 2004 is a genuine excellent flick.

guek

Banned
I reaaaally hope you poster this ironically. Otherwise, damn.

No, I legit think BadAss2961 believes his own crap which actively prevents him from having an open dialogue. You think I wouldn't try having a civil conversation with him if it were possible? He believes in and argues the most inane shit without realizing why people at large disagree with him. And he revels in being obnoxious so why waste time?

My comment to CFK in the AoU thread is similar to a lot of what is espoused here about DC threads in OT so I don't know why you brought it up.

guek

Banned
You're losing me here. Would you mind clarifying because it sounds like you are agreeing with me but then I'm lost as to why we even got into this conversation in the first place.

I think it's because people thought I was attacking DC-gaf when I noted how much the FUD in OT has affected the community in a negative way. You and I haven't been really disagreeing.

Ninjimbo

The marketing peaked with the Comic-Con trailer..
Yep. I think that's the only noticeable thing that was received well by the public. Everything after that got a more tepid response with more hate than I would have expected. Oh well.

Anyways speaking of Snyder, I think he's one of my favorite directors now. A rewatch of Sucker Punch kind of solidified that for me, weirdly enough. Even if the movie doesn't hold up narratively, you can sense the sincerity behind the lens. If was an honest effort to do something different with the action movie and I admire that.

I've resigned myself to believing less than 50% on the Tomatometer for BvS. I don't think the movie is going to be bad though. Even if it is just a bigger budget episode of Arrow or something along those lines, I think I'll like it.

I just think Snyder's style is way too divisive. This movie seems to have more of his imprint on it than MoS did, so I'm expecting to see critics and haters vomiting in the theaters as they watch it.

Penguin

I don't even mean reception.

Like remember when we got a picture of Batman and the Batmobile.

Then like a week later Superman

Then nothing for 2 months?

Or when we got an Aquaman poster that said Unite the Seven... and followed that up with a poster of LEx a month later... completely dropping the whole unite the seven concept.

Or when we started the LexCorp viral campaign/website... I mean it's still winter... but I feel like that hand has passed.

guek

Banned
The trailer is much more effective in an actual theater with a booming sound system. It hit me when I saw it in front of TFA that they had cut it for the theater, not realizing how it would play on tiny laptop screens, phones, and tablets everywhere.

They're pushing squad pretty hard, announced free comic book day comic was a suicide squad special and a dc girls issues.

Wonder how long it will be before we hear about the squad game, E3? Seems a bit late to unveil it if they're aiming for release this year.

For those of you who have lost a bit of faith in this movie. Would you be open to the idea that this movie suffered from bad marketing from a company that's learning as they go along?

I say that because I feel as tho many of the stuff that have been shown seems to be better received when its shown within context.

I mean, maybe? I disliked man of steel so when trailer's for this started coming out I basically like "yeah, pretty much what I expected."

And yeah, like duckroll said, Zack Snyder hasn't gelled with me.

Penguin

The trailer is much more effective in an actual theater with a booming sound system. It hit me when I saw it in front of TFA that they had cut it for the theater, not realizing how it would play on tiny laptop screens, phones, and tablets everywhere.

Perhaps

Perhaps even lovelier in IMAX

But yeah that fan-edited trailer that was sent around during the last one showed that there was good content just oddly... chosen edits and stuff

Like really think if they ended the trailer with the scream... would have put more butts in seats then showing Doomsday

Ninjimbo

They're pushing squad pretty hard, announced free comic book day comic was a suicide squad special and a dc girls issues.

Wonder how long it will be before we hear about the squad game, E3? Seems a bit late to unveil it if they're aiming for release this year.
If WB Montreal isn't working on a Squad game, I'm gonna freak. That tease at the end of Arkham Origins was great. I though we would have heard something by now since Arkham Knight is done but WB has said nothing about Montreal's next project. Hopefully it wasn't cancelled or anything.

Regarding the marketing of BvS, it has been a frustrating cycle. I'll admit that but that was before we knew what the movie really was so I can forgive all the messages like Unite the Seven. At one point it seemed like this was going to be a Justice League movie with the all the talk about casting early on but right now it looks like it's mainly going to be a Superman story. I know there's a lot of Batman being shown, but Superman seems to be the focus. Everyone is reacting to him. It's going to be his movie.

IconGrist

Trailer 2 was amazing in IMAX 3D. I don't even like 3D (my wife loves it so that's how we saw Star Wars) but it almost convinced me to see Batman v Superman in IMAX 3D. Almost.

I don't even mean reception.

Like remember when we got a picture of Batman and the Batmobile.

Then like a week later Superman

Then nothing for 2 months?

Or when we got an Aquaman poster that said Unite the Seven... and followed that up with a poster of LEx a month later... completely dropping the whole unite the seven concept.

Or when we started the LexCorp viral campaign/website... I mean it's still winter... but I feel like that hand has passed.

Totally agree with you here. The marketing hasn't been great.

Speaking of the trailer. My 5 year old son actually asked me when we saw the trailer in front of TFA "Why are Batman and Superman fighting? They're friends." I didn't have an answer for him.

The marketing peaked with the Comic-Con trailer.

That and this new Suicide Squad are drop the mic trailers. If we weren't dealing with gargantuan blockbusters marketing, that's where you leave it.

The Jimmy Kimmel trailer is generic action movie trailer. You can reedit it with Civil War footage, or vice versa. Heck, throw Star Trek Beyond and Xmen in there. Ahead of Star Wars TFA my showing played a host of generic trailers hit the widest audience. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Respect to Zootopia for showing long scene as its trailer.

IconGrist

Speaking of the trailer. My 5 year old son actually asked me when we saw the trailer in front of TFA "Why are Batman and Superman fighting? They're friends." I didn't have an answer for him.

Not to be rude but that's on you. It's been explained tons of times, lol.

BadAss2961

2Long2Edgy. Same old Snyder "style" though. I'm so tired of his over saturated visuals with slow-mo and shit. 300 was fun the first time, and ever since then it's like every of his films look the same, and not in a good way!
Man, people would probably hate on The Crow had it released today. Too edgy. Dour. Humorless.

Penguin

Well yes and no

We actually don't know the exact trigger for this movie's encounter. We have pieces of it

But in pop culture they are seen as friendly.

I sometimes read the social media tag on this movie (mostly when the commercials air)

And I always love seeing these two things back to back

"Gawd they are showing the entire movie!"
"Why are Batman and Superman fighting!"

If they are showing the entire movie, you would know their motives.

BadAss2961

No, I legit think BadAss2961 believes his own crap which actively prevents him from having an open dialogue. You think I wouldn't try having a civil conversation with him if it were possible? He believes in and argues the most inane shit without realizing why people at large disagree with him. And he revels in being obnoxious so why waste time?
hph0XdF.jpg

In the trailers? It's not overly clear why they are fighting. I'm sure it's meant to make you curious enough to see the movie to find out why it's happening. I also thought it was cute that my son asked the question.

But also as a 5 year old, he just wants them to be friends.

BadAss2961

In the trailers? It's not overly clear why they are fighting. I'm sure it's meant to make you curious enough to see the movie to find out why it's happening. I also thought it was cute that my son asked the question.

Poor kid's gonna watch Superman BLEED.

IconGrist

Maybe not explicitly enough for a 5 year old to get it, no, but they've given enough in the trailers for you to give something to your son.

I'll just leave it at that. I was running through scenarios in my head on how to elaborate and they all came off extremely dickish and I don't want to come across that way, lol.

Poor kid's gonna watch Superman BLEED.

He won't mind that. #teambatman

Maybe not explicitly enough for a 5 year old to get it, no, but they've given enough in the trailers for you to give something to your son.

I'll just leave it at that. I was running through scenarios in my head on how to elaborate and they all came off extremely dickish and I don't want to come across that way, lol.

All I get from the trailers is that they both think each other are bad news. My boy isn't going to let that fly when he knows they are both heroes. :)

ReiGun

I talked about this already. You don't see it in MCU threads as much because there is an ass ton of MCU movies and they keep getting pumped out 2 to 3 times a year. Do you think it would be any different from the MoS threads if all the MCU had was, say, Incredible Hulk? For three years?

Imagine a three year delay after Iron Man 2 and then the next movie was....Thor.

*shudders*

kmfdmpig

Man, people would probably hate on The Crow had it released today. Too edgy. Dour. Humorless.

I watched the Crow for the first time last year, and it was pretty awful. If it were released today it would be straight to DVD and would only avoid mockery due to the Brandon Lee tragedy.

Penguin

Imagine a three year delay after Iron Man 2 and then the next movie was....Thor.

*shudders*

Well in hindsight... that middle portion between Iron Man and The Avengers was pretty rough.

A lot of movies carried some allowance of, "It will be better once The Avengers is out" and then most of it was eh...

Not to hate on the MCU

But when you think about Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor were all back to back in the MCU

These Batman figures are so gnarly

CZNIZDwWYAI8FLI.jpg

CZNIZEWW0AIod7C.jpg

CZNIZFIWAAAvAGV.jpg

ReiGun

Well in hindsight... that middle portion between Iron Man and The Avengers was pretty rough.

A lot of movies carried some allowance of, "It will be better once The Avengers is out" and then most of it was eh...

Not to hate on the MCU

But when you think about Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor were all back to back in the MCU

But that's what I'm saying. That run of movies was rough, but it was eased by the lead up to the Avengers being relatively quick. So people were forgiving. Had people had to wait three years after IM2 for the next movie, and then ran smack into Thor, it would have been a shit show online.

GeeTeeCee

Not to hate on the MCU

These Batman figures are so gnarly

CZNIZDwWYAI8FLI.jpg

CZNIZEWW0AIod7C.jpg

CZNIZFIWAAAvAGV.jpg

Good lord I need that figure. They might have overdone the basketball texture a little much though.

This thread did help to remind me that The Incredible Hulk film exists, surely the most "it's OK" film in the entire MCU. Even just remembering it was a thing has suddenly improved my opinion on the Thor films (and to a lesser extent, Ant-Man), my previous MCU lowpoints.

Penguin

But that's what I'm saying. That run of movies was rough, but it was eased by the lead up to the Avengers being relatively quick. So people were forgiving. Had people had to wait three years after IM2 for the next movie, and then ran smack into Thor, it would have been a shit show online.

Oh I get what you're saying

Just reflecting on living in the moment

"Iron Man 2 was sh... OMG Thor's hammer... yES!"

"Thor was nothing spec... oh shit Loki's still alive!"

"Cap's fine...OMG Avengers teaser!"

GeeTeeCee

Oh I get what you're saying

Just reflecting on living in the moment

"Iron Man 2 was sh... OMG Thor's hammer... yES!"

"Thor was nothing spec... oh shit Loki's still alive!"

"Cap's fine...OMG Avengers teaser!"

Am I the only person who thinks Captain America is the best of the Phase 1 films?

Captain America is the best thing in the MCU. Winter Soldier is their best movie. Really looking forward to CW.

I never would've thought I would like someone named Captain AMERICA.

IconGrist

Captain America is the best thing in the MCU. Winter Soldier is their best movie. Really looking forward to CW.

I never would've thought I would like someone named Captain AMERICA.

I'm excited for Civil War but the only reason it sits behind Batman v Superman for me is because I'm sick of Tony Stark. I'm just done with that character.

I'm excited for Civil War but the only reason it sits behind Batman v Superman for me is because I'm sick of Tony Stark. I'm just done with that character.

Tony Starks personality turned into a youtube gamer in AOU. I have no idea how they fucked over from cocky to cheap laughs dude so badly.

GeeTeeCee

I like Cap 1, particularly upon rewatching it (the first time it felt a bit underwhelming), but I'd put IM well ahead of it.

The rest I didn't like at all.

That's fair. IM1 was my favourite for a long time, but I have no desire to rewatch it anymore, because the whole thing feels so vanilla now. While Cap does the same origin stuff, it wraps it up in a WW2 serial setting and style that just makes it way more re-watchable for me personally.

The whole WW1 setting for Wonder Woman has made me way more excited for that film than I would've been if it was set in the modern day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom