• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

This is just awkward...

Your face is awkward!

6a00e3981b770d88330168e5b2de9a970c-pi

ReiGun

That Wonder Woman thread is classic "Gaf doing the most with the least." People calling it a bomb based on 15 seconds of super early footage. Folks is crazy.

BadAss2961

I was thinking about digging through a bunch of old DCEU threads and collecting sort of like a "best of" crap posts. Not in a "oh why is DC getting shit on" kinda way but just as "what the hell does this even mean" kinda way.
Relax. It'll all be irrelevant in a couple months.

Only bad part is when it happens, a lot of those same dudes with the stupid comments will come pouring into these community threads ready to join the bandwagon. That'll be when I take my step back.

IconGrist

Relax. It'll all be irrelevant in a couple months.

Only bad part is when it happens, a lot of those same dudes with the stupid comments will come pouring into these community threads ready to join the bandwagon. That'll be when I take my step back.

C'mon, you don't want to read a list of gems like this?

She looks out of character. Like she's pretending to be WW. She so puny too, like she can break easily. Looks crap tbh. Complete miscast

guek

Banned
lol, I hope BvS is good for the sake of having a good movie but also for all of your sake as well. I'm sure, regardless of how its received elsewhere, most of the regulars in this thread will love it. I'm just afraid of how some of you would handle it if we end up with something similar to MoS.

IconGrist

lol, I hope BvS is good for the sake of having a good movie but also for all of your sake as well. I'm sure, regardless of how its received elsewhere, most of the regulars in this thread will love it. I'm just afraid of how some of you would handle it if we end up with something similar to MoS.

Despite the constant trashing of that movie on GAF I loved Man of Steel so I, personally, would be more than okay with that. But I obviously can't speak for everyone.

PBY

Banned
Despite the constant trashing of that movie on GAF I loved Man of Steel so I, personally, would be more than okay with that. But I obviously can't speak for everyone.

Lol yeah, was about to say. I think it'll be shittier than MoS, but definitely in the same vein- I really didn't like MoS, but for those who did that sounds awesome.

guek

Banned
Oh, I know that very well, but you have to admit, the MoS and, by extension, DC bashing has gotten under a lot of people's skin in the worst way.

IconGrist

Lol yeah, was about to say. I think it'll be shittier than MoS, but definitely in the same vein- I really didn't like MoS, but for those who did that sounds awesome.

And even if the general opinion on GAF is that BvS is trash I doubt it would escalate the conversation beyond what it is like with MoS now. For instance, whenever MoS gets brought up I try not to just defend the movie for the sake of defense but rather call out bits that are factually wrong and what not. That's really the only thing that ruffles my feathers. Shitting on the movie for things that didn't happen. If that happens with BvS then you will see me do the same thing.

There are people who will just yell out "your opinion is awful and you suck" but that's not me. I welcome opposing views but if your argument is along the lines of "Superman murdered 5,000 people" then I can't take you seriously. Know what I mean?

Oh, I know that very well, but you have to admit, the MoS and, by extension, DC bashing has gotten under a lot of people's skin in the worst way.

Well, can you really blame people? It's been three years, lol. With the MCU bitching at least you get new material every few months.

bryanee

Am I going to have to start avoiding all Wonder Woman threads now like I do MoS threads? That thread sure has gone places.

Penguin

I know what you're saying, but it sounds like concern-trolling :p

But in all seriousness, nothing will be like MoS-vitriol.

Because of how the universe is set-up, there won't be another 3 years between films for people to endless rehash similar sounding arguments.

The same way folks don't really bring up The Incredible Hulk or Thor or Iron Man 2 as much as the good MCU films.

IconGrist

I will say that I really do hate that MoS was so divisive. Not because I loved it but because as a Superman fan I really wanted others to like it. The public opinion of Superman has not been very good for a long while so I was hoping MoS would change that and instead we got what we got. What I sort of tire of hearing even more than "MoS is trash" is "Superman is boring".

I know that sounds fanboyish but I've been a Superman mark since I was a kid. Absolutely no one I know outside of the internet likes him. It's all about that goddamned BATMAN.

BadAss2961

Because of how the universe is set-up, there won't be another 3 years between films for people to endless rehash similar sounding arguments.

The same way folks don't really bring up The Incredible Hulk or Thor or Iron Man 2 as much as the good MCU films.
Well I for one am expecting actual good movies to come out of this universe. Movies that stay with you. Not the 'onto the next one' feel of the MCU where the hype always exceeds the end result.

Penguin

Well I for one am expecting actual good movies to come out of this universe. Movies that stay with you. Not the 'onto the next one' feel of the MCU where the hype always exceeds the end result.

I won't comment on the latter point, but I think we're all expecting/hoping for good movies.

I was just playing guek's game of if BvS turns out to be terrible or divisive amongst fans.

BadAss2961

I won't comment on the latter point, but I think we're all expecting/hoping for good movies.

I was just playing guek's game of if BvS turns out to be terrible or divisive amongst fans.
Unlike gaming side, I find that filmGAF usually just goes with the flow of critical reception. If the critics like it, they'll like it, then proceed to hype the box office receipts. If the critics were wrong, filmGAF will lag months behind in finally realizing the movie they hyped in theaters actually wasn't that good. And rarely is there ever a contemporary film which bombs critically that GAF loves.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

So, similar to the best CBM but with Batman and WW in it? Sign me up.

I still don't understand the hard-on for RT and not Metacritic. Aggragating a binary rating system really tells you nothing about the quality of the movie. If the gaming side used that,literally every game would have a 100% approval. When i see people say critics "hold tfa in high regard" i don't get. That means 90% of critics or so would give the movie over 5 out of 10. That doesn't imply they hold it in high regard.

guek

Banned

Lol, I'm not trolling. This -->

is trolling.

I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone or condescend. Whether you realize it or not, the hardcore DC fans are touchy as fuck nowadays, and a lot of that has to do with having the same arguments ad nauseum for the last few years. Plenty of people love MoS, and more power to 'em, but it spawned an endless parade of FUD that I know has been frustrating for fans. If BvS succumbs to the same fate, at least you'll have Suicide Squad to hopefully draw attention. But even with SS, such a scenario would mean the lead up to Snyder's Justice League will be equally aggravating.

BadAss2961

is trolling.
I really mean everything I say about the MCU though. Well okay, I embellish a bit sometimes, but not that time.

Suicide Squad was on the front page of youtube all day. What's there now? The Wonder Woman footage. Today was a good day.

BadAss2961

Yea, this. Let's not pretend you didn't get mad in that MCU Thor vs MoS Superman thread you made a ways back, lol. Fans are passionate. It's not a new thing and it applies everywhere.
I had guek cracking in the Suicide Squad thread over there. Almost got him to cross the line. lol

I don't think he likes me very much.

I still remember posts like this in the AOU thread

God, just shut the fuck up if all you're going to do is antagonize. There are more respectful ways to criticize someone's work.

i'm sure why you're making this all about us. Fans in general should calm the fuck down.

Penguin

is trolling.

I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone or condescend. Whether you realize it or not, the hardcore DC fans are touchy as fuck nowadays, and a lot of that has to do with having the same arguments ad nauseum for the last few years. Plenty of people love MoS, and more power to 'em, but it spawned an endless parade of FUD that I know has been frustrating for fans. If BvS succumbs to the same fate, at least you'll have Suicide Squad to hopefully draw attention. But even with SS, such a scenario would mean the lead up to Snyder's Justice League will be equally aggravating.

Oh I know you weren't trolling, but it does sound like concern-trolling.

And like noted, BvS to JLA (Even w/ WW and SS in between) is only a year and a half. Not 3 like MoS to BVS so still would be cut in half.

And would be lamenting on two movies... or I guess in that case how the entire universe is screwed.

guek

Banned
I really mean everything I say about the MCU though.

Yes, I know. It's really sad for reasons you don't understand.

Yea, this. Let's not pretend you didn't get mad in that MCU Thor vs MoS Superman thread you made a ways back, lol. Fans are passionate. It's not a new thing and it applies everywhere.

Yes, all fans their good and bad times. But fandoms have unique qualities too. I'm not saying "you DC fans are the worst!!" or any such nonsense. The DC community on gaf is uniquely sensitive and I think it's understandable that they are, but some of the attitudes adopted by this group are often not conducive to open dialogues. A lot of it breeds petty fandom wars, like the shit posts BadAss2961 tries to use on a regular basis. And both DC and Marvel camps are at fault for having camps in the first place but each camp is different and mostly made up of different people. Look at how defensive you guys get when I point out the vitriol towards MoS has in turn led to a fandom prone to being aggravated. Every page in this thread is littered with people bemoaning the behavior in OT threads. You don't get that with MCU threads because they're not as heavily scrutinized. If BvS doesn't make a good overall impression, the FUD will get worse before it gets better. That would suck.

Ross61

For those of you who have lost a bit of faith in this movie. Would you be open to the idea that this movie suffered from bad marketing from a company that's learning as they go along?

I say that because I feel as tho many of the stuff that have been shown seems to be better received when its shown within context.

IconGrist

Yes, I know. It's really sad for reasons you don't understand.

Yes, all fans their good and bad times. But fandoms have unique qualities too. I'm not saying "you DC fans are the worst!!" or any such nonsense. The DC community on gaf is uniquely sensitive and I think it's understandable that they are, but some of the attitudes adopted by this group are often not conducive to open dialogues. A lot of it breeds petty fandom wars, like the shit posts BadAss2961 tries to use on a regular basis. And both DC and Marvel camps are at fault for having camps in the first place but each camp is different and mostly made up of different people. Look at how defensive you guys get when I point out the vitriol towards MoS has in turn led to a fandom prone to being aggravated. Every page in this thread is littered with people bemoaning the behavior in OT threads. You don't get that with MCU threads because they're not as heavily scrutinized. If BvS doesn't make a good overall impression, the FUD will get worse before it gets better. That would suck.

I talked about this already. You don't see it in MCU threads as much because there is an ass ton of MCU movies and they keep getting pumped out 2 to 3 times a year. Do you think it would be any different from the MoS threads if all the MCU had was, say, Incredible Hulk? For three years?

guek

Banned
I talked about this already. You don't see it in MCU threads as much because there is an ass ton of MCU movies and they keep getting pumped out 2 to 3 times a year. Do you think it would be any different from the MoS threads if all the MCU had was, say, Incredible Hulk? For three years?

Dude, I'm not saying there isn't a reason for it or it's somehow singularly the fault of the fandom. Obviously it doesn't happen in MCU threads for reasons other than quality.

duckroll

For those of you who have lost a bit of faith in this movie. Would you be open to the idea that this movie suffered from bad marketing from a company that's learning as they go along?

I say that because I feel as tho many of the stuff that have been shown seems to be better received when its shown within context.

Lol no. The marketing is great and on point, the movie will make tons of money. My problem is Zack Snyder's inability to make a movie I can enjoy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom