• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Suicide Squad to Wonder Woman is gonna be rough. That's 10 months right there.

10 months? I love how that's the new rough. Nothing will ever be rougher than this miserable 3 year wait.

The drought is over. We'll at least be getting all kinds of news in those 10 months.

kmfdmpig

That's fair. IM1 was my favourite for a long time, but I have no desire to rewatch it anymore, because the whole thing feels so vanilla now. While Cap does the same origin stuff, it wraps it up in a WW2 serial setting and style that just makes it way more re-watchable for me personally.

The whole WW1 setting for Wonder Woman has made me way more excited for that film than I would've been if it was set in the modern day.

I agree that changing the setting around can help a lot. Cap 1 benefited from that in my mind as well. I am also looking forward to WW more because of that. It helps prevent the movies from feeling too similar, which might also help against the "superhero movie fatigue" that the studios must be worried about.

WW should easily stay on track but I have huge fears of delays for everything else and that isn't just with DC stuff but also Marvel. As far out as they keep scheduling this stuff I see no reason to believe it'll stick with those dates. Hell, Sony just moved Spider-Man yesterday, I think.

Everything will change once Suicide Squad is a success. They'll fast track a sequel and that will throw the whole slate off.

guek

Banned
But that's what I'm saying. That run of movies was rough, but it was eased by the lead up to the Avengers being relatively quick. So people were forgiving. Had people had to wait three years after IM2 for the next movie, and then ran smack into Thor, it would have been a shit show online.

While I don't think you're wrong about how a 3 year interval would have been terrible, it's worth noting the environment these films would have been released. Movies aren't released in a vacuum, which is why the complaint of the MCU having become stale could only be made now rather than a few years ago. 2014 was a banner year for the MCU with GotG and Winter Soldier but by the time AoU and Ant-Man came out in 2015, people wanted something fresh instead of something familiar. Back during phase 1, movies like Thor, First Avenger, and, to a much lesser degree, Iron Man 2 still felt somewhat new and fresh which greatly benefited their reception, as did the short intervals between each installment like you pointed out.

But even with all that in mind, it's a bit off to suggest that the consensus for phase 1 is that it's a mediocre product or even a homogenized product. We've had dozens of comicbook movie ranking threads and in every one, you'll find a wide range of opinions for all of them except IM2 and Incredible Hulk which only have a handful of fans.

We've come to the point where we have an embarrassment of riches as far as comic book movies go. For that reason alone, we're going to see all projects receive a lot more scrutiny from here on out. Heck, I'd argue the heightened scrutiny began last year. Standards are only going to get higher.

Firemind

I just watched Assault on Arkham in light of the Suicide Squad trailer and... not bad. I expected much worse coming from GAF threads. It's not a convoluted heist or anything, but all the characters get some kind of resolution at least. Well, except for Poison Ivy who randomly takes over people and The Riddler who just disappears towards the end. What I liked was how violent it is. Holy shit. Now I know why people are theorizing who's going to bite the dust first just so Amanda Waller can prove a point. Maybe it's one of the guys who shows up on cast photos but didn't get any trailer screentime.

Also, Kevin Conroy as Batman has swaaaaaag.
The plot twist was entirely too obvious, but damn if he didn't kick ass. I also loved how he has encyclopedic knowledge of the work shifts in the asylum.
That's the sort of Batman I hope to see on the big screen.

I just watched Assault on Arkham in light of the Suicide Squad trailer and... not bad. I expected much worse coming from GAF threads. It's not a convoluted heist or anything, but all the characters get some kind of resolution at least. Well, except for Poison Ivy who randomly takes over people and The Riddler who just disappears towards the end. What I liked was how violent it is. Holy shit. Now I know why people are theorizing who's going to bite the dust first just so Amanda Waller can prove a point. Maybe it's one of the guys who shows up on cast photos but didn't get any trailer screentime.

Also, Kevin Conroy as Batman has swaaaaaag.
The plot twist was entirely too obvious, but damn if he didn't kick ass. I also loved how he has encyclopedic knowledge of the work shifts in the asylum.
That's the sort of Batman I hope to see on the big screen.

It'd be kinda hilarious if theres someone on the team not in any of the promotional material or trailers, whose killed be Waller within 10 minutes. Maybe have them be a real obscure Batman rogue.

Wow, that statue looks amazing, hope there's a scene with a similar pose in the actual movie. I never noticed his gauntlets and knuckle protectors (? I don't know what you would call them lol) are actually colored.

IconGrist

So I think we can all mostly agree that Trailer 3 for Man of Steel was the best of the bunch. Expectations for Batman v Superman Trailer 3?

I'd like to hear at least one line from Diana to get an idea what she's up to. Maybe a look at "private" Lex. And as icing on the cake maybe some Batman/Superman dialog.

So I think we can all mostly agree that Trailer 3 for Man of Steel was the best of the bunch. Expectations for Batman v Superman Trailer 3?

I'd like to hear at least one line from Diana to get an idea what she's up to. Maybe a look at "private" Lex. And as icing on the cake maybe some Batman/Superman dialog.

But we've had three trailers.

guek

Banned

I expect Snyder to go all out with the next trailer to try to make up for the last one. For all his faults, that man knows how to cut a trailer for maximum hype.

Theres always a Nokia spot. I'm hoping we don't get a main trailer 4, its just overkill in my mind. Just blast the tv ad's 2-3 weeks before release.

Man, I love these figures.
b5WTPhS.jpg
Y4UqmSm.jpg

hfzqb7A.jpg
7xLij3B.jpg

a916

Nokia doesn't exist anymore though :p

Nokia Bane Theme DKR TV Spot was actually my very first DKR trailer... and the only reason I saw it was because Amazing Spider-Man or some other movie had it attached to it... I have no idea how I had the strength to avoid all that marketing... and here I am knee deep in the DCEU...

WW should easily stay on track but I have huge fears of delays for everything else and that isn't just with DC stuff but also Marvel. As far out as they keep scheduling this stuff I see no reason to believe it'll stick with those dates. Hell, Sony just moved Spider-Man yesterday, I think.

I can see moving WW in response to Spider-Man's earlier date. Same reason Black Panther moving away from Justice League is reassuring, despite a longer wait for BP.

BadAss2961

Nokia Bane Theme DKR TV Spot was actually my very first DKR trailer... and the only reason I saw it was because Amazing Spider-Man or some other movie had it attached to it... I have no idea how I had the strength to avoid all that marketing... and here I am knee deep in the DCEU...
Nokia Bane theme is bananas. Nolan really dropped the ball not getting that piece in the movie.

a916

Accidentally walked into that Gawker article about how someone is excited more for DC Films than the Marvel Studios upcoming slate... you'd come out of it thinking BvS is the next Fantastic 4... holy hell, why such crazy amounts of vitriol?

GeeTeeCee

Nokia Bane theme is bananas. Nolan really dropped the ball not getting that piece in the movie.

Wow, this is the first version of this theme I've heard that doesn't sound like it's been grabbed straight from the trailer. I watched that Nokia trailer so many times almost entirely down to this song, great to hear it again.

I might actually watch Rises again during the weekend. While Nolan (rightfully) gets a lot of criticism for his handling of fight scenes throughout the series, I honestly believe the sewer fight is one of the best moments in any comic book film ever.

Ahasverus

Have you guys noticed that all the recycled MoS footage used on BvS promotional material was devoid of blue filter? Maybe we're getting a revision for the 4K master.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno why it's the background in that picture that bothers me so much.

Ahasverus

Are you guys pro spit-curl or not? I kinda wish he had one in that statue.
Nah. Quite the ridiculous thing. He stills does it for effect though, and looks just fine because it doesn't look like he wasted 15 minutes applying hair gel until perfect shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom