• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
2 months....2 months....I can't wait for all the interviews and behind the scenes stuff. And the movie of course.

Oregano

Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan were both on Supernatural too.

EDIT: Jeffrey Dean Morgan is like the comic book version of Kevin Bacon at this point. He was in the losers with Cap, Gamora and Heimdall and in Red Dawn with Thor and Mockingbird(who was almost Wonder Woman).

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Devin Faraci thinks you're being mean to him:

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/690424559284195328

Dunno who this guy is or why he keeps getting attention, but from what I've read he sounds like a manchild. Ohh well, who gives a shit.

That footage of Bruce Wayne running towards the collapsing building is amazing, love me some Snyder imagery. Also, the soundtrack ''Black and Blue'' is like 8 minutes long. So the fight is probably something like 10 minutes? I can dig that.

1453482346881.png

Seeing this in IMAX will be glorious. I think people understate how beautiful Snyder's films look

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
*unzip*

Too bad Snyder doesn't have the same thing as Nolan, where Nolan can just say: fuck off, no 3D. Snyder has no say over shit like that. First time I'll go at midnight, IMAX 3D. Just for that Zimmer score alone. The next day I'll probably go to a normal screening without IMAX.

Verendus

Banned
Now, I don't want to sound racist but
monster, devils. all the same man.
I believe in the Church of Godzilla. How can you call my savior Satan himself? Mothra is the evil in this system.

On a serious note, I realised the reason I'm looking forward to this movie a lot more than usual is because it's going to be dense. Most superhero movies tend to be quite simplistic in structure, and while I'm sure this isn't going to be hugely different due to the need to appeal to the mass market, it reminds me a little of TDK. That was a movie with 3 principal characters, and several supporting characters. It managed to be pretty great due to the way they interconnected the story of several characters along with the overarching themes. Everything fed into core. I'm hoping BvS is able to pull off something similar.

Man of Steel had an interesting premise, with a conflicted Clark Kent, and the repercussions of his presence on humanity, but the movie spent far more time in exploring the past instead of focusing on the present. The balance was off. We didn't really get to spend much time with Clark in the present before he was already up and away as an inexperienced Superman having to deal with a world ending threat.

The good thing is that BvS seems to be picking up where we left of, and is focusing on Superman's presence in the world as a point of conflict, but we now have a principal character inserted in Batman who's able to explore this idea from a different angle from the viewpoint we'll see with Clark/Superman. This is good because we have the opportunity to explore two different characters, while also tackling this premise in different ways. Comparing and contrasting is one way to developing characters and depth. It also ensures the viewpoint from our vantage point doesn't become too biased since you're not clouded with seeing it in only one way that makes you too sympathetic to one character. Beyond that, you have Lex as a supporting character who's likely going to be an extreme point of view.

It really comes down to the execution mostly, but I hope most of the movie is focused on exploring Clark, Bruce, and Lex's characters. I want some depth and nuance to how they handle it rather than making it seem like it's all gravy. It's an interesting idea, and they shouldn't treat it as complete black and white. I know there's bound to be the big action setpiece, and that's fine, but I hope they don't waste too much time drawing out things which can be inferred in lesser time, and try to dig in a little to the characters.

Often times I see on GAF that people just want something "fun" or "less moody" but it just sounds like they want shallow popcorn flicks. Nothing wrong with that, but we also have a dozen of those a year, and I'd like it if BvS tried to do something more like the Nolan movies rather than resigning itself to being a popcorn flick only. You can strike a good balance even with these kind of movies so that's not impossible. T2 is a classic example. Very much a big budget action movie, but spends some amount of time trying to explore its characters and themes so there's some substance there.

The premise is there in BvS, and I really hope they take their time with it. The one hope I have that there might be substance is the fact that Chris Terrio wrote the script, so surely that's because they wanted to try and do more character work. I guess I'll find out soon enough, but this seems like the last chance to explore that conflict. You can't keep dwelling on it movie after movie. Eventually you have to move onto other things, and messing it up once would just mean I'd feel less receptive the next time.

Penguin

He tweeted yesterday about how the Internet reveals how terrible people are, all while he constantly berates and belittles people. He's a good writer but a nasty human being.

I really don't dislike people, but I really really don't like him.

And this is his absolute worst trait

Playing the victim while being nasty and disgusting to all manners of fans.

Like he has no filter, but say something negative about him and it's whine whine whine

I mean not even a He-Man fan, but come on
If you’re an adult and you have a strong opinion about who is directing the He-Man movie you need to truly reconsider some things.

a916

It's not the chest hair when he's coming out of the water that bother me... is the chest hair poking out while he's wearing the suit that really look odd.

It's funny

Top 3 for Fandando
Number 1 for IMDB
Top 5 in China

And people still think this movie will somehow bomb.

Not saying will blow away expectations, but just don't see the logic. This movie is hotly anticipated for better or worse.

Number 2 on Collider Movie (and it was only brought down because of trailer 2)

BadAss2961

Often times I see on GAF that people just want something "fun" or "less moody" but it just sounds like they want shallow popcorn flicks. Nothing wrong with that, but we also have a dozen of those a year, and I'd like it if BvS tried to do something more like the Nolan movies rather than resigning itself to being a popcorn flick only.
Totally agree.

Often times I see on GAF that people just want something "fun" or "less moody" but it just sounds like they want shallow popcorn flicks. Nothing wrong with that, but we also have a dozen of those a year, and I'd like it if BvS tried to do something more like the Nolan movies rather than resigning itself to being a popcorn flick only. You can strike a good balance even with these kind of movies so that's not impossible. T2 is a classic example. Very much a big budget action movie, but spends some amount of time trying to explore its characters and themes so there's some substance there.

Definitely agree there. For me, while I'm a huge Marvel fan, the "darker" more "serious" superhero movies tend to be the ones that stick with me the most. Now granted we dont really know what tone BvS really is until it comes out, but some people seem to think that there is only one way to do these movies now and anything more serious in tone seems like a "parody"

a916

Often times I see on GAF that people just want something "fun" or "less moody" but it just sounds like they want shallow popcorn flicks. Nothing wrong with that, but we also have a dozen of those a year, and I'd like it if BvS tried to do something more like the Nolan movies rather than resigning itself to being a popcorn flick only. You can strike a good balance even with these kind of movies so that's not impossible.

It's really weird concept for me to hear people go "this is going to flop/be terrible because it's dark and broody and not like Marvel..."

Well, one, it shouldn't affect it marketing wise because TDK trilogy was very serious and somber tone and it still managed to be wildly successful both critically and financially.

Two, I understand people have different opinions and all, being dark isn't a metaphor for being bad. I don't get how the two correlate in their mind. DC has, for the most part, treated the DC Trinity with a sense of majesty. They are comic book royalty and in their world (Earth 1), they are looked upon as gods; as such, they are treated this way. That's what DC and hell the DC Animated shows trended towards. As if people think they should automatically treat everything they do like the Suicide Squad trailer.

Ahasverus

Cry me a river Fartashit. He's like that kid on kindergarten who poked you all day and then ran to Ms. Johnson when you slapped his wirst because you were being mean to him.

Also, he's totally talking to Messy.

Firemind

Definitely agree there. For me, while I'm a huge Marvel fan, the "darker" more "serious" superhero movies tend to be the ones that stick with me the most. Now granted we dont really know what tone BvS really is until it comes out, but some people seem to think that there is only one way to do these movies now and anything more serious in tone seems like a "parody"
I loved Iron Man and its themes. It's when IM2 and IM3 reared its ugly head that it's turned into a parody. That's why I can't take Tony seriously anymore and neither Civil War. He's a caricature. Literally.

Verendus

Banned
Yup.
Went from one of my favorite movie heroes to dear god he is going to ruin Cap 3.
It's kind of weird how Tony Stark has gone from a character with so much potential to a walking caricature. I think there's a line in the trailer where he's saying to Captain America that he was his friend, and it comes off hollow. There wasn't much there resembling friendship between them. Acquaintances? Sure.

Steve Rogers has become a good character though. The first movie was forgettable, and Avengers basically did nothing for him, but The Winter Soldier was a complete turnaround. I think he's the best character in the series, and they did a really good job of building empathy for him in that movie. All it took was a few scenes. I'm really looking forward to Civil War for that reason. TWS was like the one movie after Iron Man in that series that tried to do more, and actually succeeded.

I'm hoping Iron Man gets a real beatdown, but that's probably not going to happen since he's the central character in the overarching universe. They've got to keep him looking good somehow.

I loved Iron Man and its themes. It's when IM2 and IM3 reared its ugly head that it's turned into a parody. That's why I can't take Tony seriously anymore and neither Civil War. He's a caricature. Literally.

Got hit with that flanderization pretty bad, yeah. From cocky smartass to walking joke machine.

It's kind of weird how Tony Stark has gone from a character with so much potential to a walking caricature. I think there's a line in the trailer where he's saying to Captain America that he was his friend, and it comes off hollow. There wasn't much there resembling friendship between them. Acquaintances? Sure.

Steve Rogers has become a good character though. The first movie was forgettable, and Avengers basically did nothing for him, but The Winter Soldier was a complete turnaround. I think he's the best character in the series, and they did a really good job of building empathy for him in that movie. All it took was a few scenes. I'm really looking forward to Civil War for that reason. TWS was like the one movie after Iron Man in that series that tried to do more, and actually succeeded.

I'm hoping Iron Man gets a real beatdown, but that's probably not going to happen since he's the central character in the overarching universe. They've got to keep him looking good somehow.

Agree.

Tony asking Rhodey to blow on his dice in IM1 was hilarious. Tony saying "yay secret door" in AOU was some Twitch streamer shit. Its like they had to have the character crack a joke at every moment.

Penguin

I get that it comes up, but would advise steering away from MCU chatter in here.. since it may come off as bitter to the outside world.

Iron Man 3 doesn't hit the same notes as Iron Man 1, but I like it a lot as a comedy, and earlier moments have nice action. The barrel of monkeys plane rescue is one of the more inspired action scenes in a Marvel film. As are scenes of Tony in an incomplete suit. I know not many share this opinion, even among Marvel die-hards. Look, I like Shane Black. Very excited for The Nice Guys.

Magwik

Banned
Iron Man 3 doesn't hit the same notes as Iron Man 1, but I like it a lot as a comedy, and earlier moments have nice action. The barrel of monkeys plane rescue is one of the more inspired action scenes in a Marvel film. As are scenes of Tony in an incomplete suit. I know not many share this opinion, even among Marvel die-hards. Look, I like Shane Black. Very excited for The Nice Guys.
Iron Man 3 is a movie that grows on you.

I like all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies myself. Can't wait for Civil War.

But my most anticipated stuff right now are the DC movies. I've already had 12 movies in the shared Marvel universe, and am getting tons more soon. But I've never had that with DC, and have wanted it all my life, so I can't freaking wait to finally see it come true. It's a good time to be alive.

Penguin

Man of Steel is on FX

Watching bits and pieces of it.

Just passed the tornado scene.

Something been wondering... and probably answered, but since started halfway through, did Clark have his superspeed at the time? Like did he know?

The only Marvel movies I don't like that much are the Thor movies, Ant Man, and Guardians. The rest are at least decently enjoyable, and Winter Soldiers and Iron Man 3 are my favorites

DC doesn't exactly have much to judge at the moment, but I really enjoyed Man of Steel.

I always saw the DC vs Marvel mentality as really weird. Imagine if people were arguing between sci-fi action and crime action...they're both still action movies. I feel the same with DC and Marvel stuff. DC, Marvel, Image, Vertigo, they're all just comic book movies, no reason not to enjoy everything

Man of Steel is on FX

Something been wondering... and probably answered, but since started halfway through, did Clark have his superspeed at the time? Like did he know?

I think once he found out he had power, they tried seeing what else he could do.

Its what I would do

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I like all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies myself. Can't wait for Civil War.

But my most anticipated stuff right now are the DC movies. I've already had 12 movies in the shared Marvel universe, and am getting tons more soon. But I've never had that with DC, and have wanted it all my life, so I can't freaking wait to finally see it come true. It's a good time to be alive.
I'm exactly the same as you. I don't hate any of the Marvel movies and will watch any of them when they're on. But yes, I've had 12 of them and now I want to see DC do their stuff... Doesn't hurt that Batman is my favorite character of all time.

The only Marvel movies I don't like that much are the Thor movies, Ant Man, and Guardians. The rest are at least decently enjoyable, and Winter Soldiers and Iron Man 3 are my favorites

DC doesn't exactly have much to judge at the moment, but I really enjoyed Man of Steel.

I always saw the DC vs Marvel mentality as really weird. Imagine if people were arguing between sci-fi action and crime action...they're both still action movies. I feel the same with DC and Marvel stuff. DC, Marvel, Image, Vertigo, they're all just comic book movies, no reason not to enjoy everything

Mahvel vs. DC is much, much older than the movies. One of the classic nerd feuds. Like car brands before everybody found out that American cars were actually all kind of terrible.

(Ford fo lyfe)

Tabby

Eh I don't mind Marvel movies. They're like Transformers to me, watch once and they're fun blockbuster movie flicks but I'll never watch them again and they're not memorable. I did really like Ant-Man though for some reason.

Man of Steel is on FX

I doubt it. He was taught to not push himself, to hide and be more human I guess.

Ashhong

Not weird at all..especially given where we are lol. We got Sony vs MS vs PC etc. Star Trek vs Star Wars? Is that still a thing?

Magwik

Banned
Not weird at all..especially given where we are lol. We got Sony vs MS vs PC etc. Star Trek vs Star Wars? Is that still a thing?

Eh at least with Sony vs MS and MS vs Apple stuff it's just people trying to validate their own purchases and such. The rest is nonsense

I enjoy/will enjoy all Marvel movies besides 3 things,
1. Tony from IM3 onwards.
2. Hulk solo(never enjoyed Hulk much till Avengers1)
3. Doctor Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom