• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezan

I know zack is inspired by Frank millers dark knight and want him to do some thing similar to the animated version of the dark knight returns for batman coming out of retirement

Dark knight returns .

Wouldn't even mind if they used the same music

BadAss2961

Feel like he has said something similar before, but got to love Tom

CZmRum3UYAAgnyz.jpg
So what if Hardy comes back and plays... Bane?

This time with venom.

As typical as it sounds I think he's too geezer for Darkseid. He'd excel better in a more grounded role. I think if SS is a success Ayer will get him as a villain for 2.

BadAss2961

Beckinsale would be nice, but I like the Eva Green pick for Catwoman. It's just so her... Sometimes the most obvious choice is the best one.

She's gone full villain enough already, but she's got the range to play both sides like a Catwoman should.

Ahasverus

Beckinsale would be nice, but I like the Eva Green pick for Catwoman. It's just so her... Sometimes the most obvious choice is the best one.

She's gone full villain enough already, but she's got the range to play both sides like a Catwoman should.
I think Eva would make a great Ivy, maybe some Wonder Woman villain, but I don't think her beauty fits Catwoman who, IMO, should be as classic as possible. She drives me crazy though, one of the few women in the world who would make me go straight on a whim. God bless Eva Green.

BadAss2961

I think Eva would make a great Ivy, maybe some Wonder Woman villain, but I don't think her beauty fits Catwoman who, IMO, should be as classic as possible. She drives me crazy though, one of the few women in the world who would make me go straight on a whim. God bless Eva Green.
I like my Ivy a bit on the thicker side than Eva. First choice that comes to mind is Abbie Cornish. She's worked with Snyder and has the body for it. Give her that flowing red hair (probably with some CG) and we're golden.

Put her in the Suicide Squad sequel so she and Harley could tear it up.

MartyStu

Really doubt that is
Apokolips the buildings and stuff looks very Earth-based and not alien enough

The
Khandaq
bit was in the Empire article apparently.

Those columns are almost certainly fire pits though.

Maybe this is an earth so far gone that those have been established.

What I would LOVE is if this sequence happens on one of the other Earths and it is directly confirmed as such.

Lets do this, and hopefully this at some point.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/66303/3638092-screen+shot+2014-02-11+at+4.52.04+pm.pn

Imo i'd have typical Catwoman as a flashback character(in a Red Hood movie or something), Kigpin Selina at current times(MoS-BvS) who would progress more to hero Catwoman.
Heck they could have kingpin Selina tied into Redhoods backstory by Joker pulling a TDK and have both of them captured tells Batman to choose, he goes after Jason but it's was too late anyway. Selina escapes herself but becomes disillusioned with the whole thing and decides to take control of Gothams crime herself.

Happy to see more footage that is accurate with the comic books.

It seems that Bruce's ancestors aren't completely irrelevant. I mean, they could have just showed Bruce's parents only. Based on that, I wonder if they think about a Court of Owls movie.
Please do it.

Pachimari

I would be all for Beckinsale being Catwoman, but Eva Green needs to stay far away. Anyway, I can't describe how excited I am about Batman v Superman, and the DCEU in general. I'm looking forward to learn much more about the DC universe and its heroes and villains. All of Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman looks fucking fantastic!

Firemind

I would be all for Beckinsale being Catwoman, but Eva Green needs to stay far away. Anyway, I can't describe how excited I am about Batman v Superman, and the DCEU in general. I'm looking forward to learn much more about the DC universe and its heroes and villains. All of Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman looks fucking fantastic!
I've already watched the DCAU films Year One, TDKR, Doom, Flashpoint Paradox, War and Assault on Arkham. Public Enemies, Crisis on Two Earths and Apocalypse are next.

Poona

is poison ivy a vegetarian? or carnivore?

or does she just get energy from the sun?

Doesn't eat meat (would be against the environment if purchased commercially and neither does she have have any great hunting skills upon her to do it herself in the wild).

Stories have had her have plants growing bountiful fruit that she is able to control and then have them release. Others have had her locked up in the dark where she begun to whither away and it was only when she was exposed to water and sunlight she recovered.

Also her character on the TV series Gotham (Ivy Pepper) is vegan.

effzee

So something I never quite understood from MoS and hoping you guys can help out with:

Why does Jor El include the genetic codex of the entire Kryptonian race with Kal El? What was his purpose in doing so? It almost comes across he too wanted Kal El to conolize a planet and rebuild it as a new Krypton.

Or maybe I need to see the movie again. Only seen it opening weekend.

Ahasverus

So something I never quite understood from MoS and hoping you guys can help out with:

Why does Jor El include the genetic codex of the entire Kryptonian race with Kal El? What was his purpose in doing so? It almost comes across he too wanted Kal El to conolize a planet and rebuild it as a new Krypton.
You answered our own question. He wanted Kryptoninans and humans living in peace on earth, his ship had a birth chamber, he wanted to start Krypton anew. Kal refuses, and so at some point destroys the birth chamber saying "Krypton had its chance", his home is earth now.

You answered our own question. He wanted Kryptoninans and humans living in peace on earth, his ship had a birth chamber, he wanted to start Krypton anew. Kal refuses, and so at some point destroys the birth chamber saying "Krypton had its chance", his home is earth now.

I think its more complicated than that imo. Jor-El knew he and other Kryptons had a inherent bias due to their make-up. He gives Clark the CODEX not as a order but more a possibility; that if he grows of age and thinks its right than Krypton can live again. Clark chooses the more natural order, Krypton had its chance. If this contrary to what is stated I apologise.

Happy to see more footage that is accurate with the comic books.

It seems that Bruce's ancestors aren't completely irrelevant. I mean, they could have just showed Bruce's parents only. Based on that, I wonder if they think about a Court of Owls movie.
Please do it.

Although I don't think it'd work as a movie, let alone without being very diluted, but a Black Glove style Batman movie would be really fun. Court of Owls would be nuts though.

So between the defaced Robin suit and the mausoleum of Bruce's ancestors, this DCU has the potential for Under The Red Hood and Court of Owls for solo Batman movies

Like, how cool is that? Damn...

DaveH

Or maybe I need to see the movie again. Only seen it opening weekend.
It's intentionally ambiguous because Jor-El didn't want Kal-El to repeat Krypton's mistakes.

If it were purely up to Jor-El, most likely he'd co-habitate with humanity where the Kryptonians ruled as benevolent gods. The hints we have to that effect:
  1. Saying Kal will be like a god;
  2. His speeches to Kal about guiding humanity and saving them all;
  3. His argument with Zod about co-existing with humanity.
However... despite his own inclinations, Jor-El knows that he's the product of a fallen culture and likely to pass on those mistakes to Kal-El. Jor-El believes this so strongly he does several significant things:
  1. He never plans to go to Earth with Kal - for fear of raising Kal with Kryptonian values / issues
  2. He makes it impossible for Kal to hear from him until he's been raised as an adult - He doesn't leave a message that Kal can access as a child
  3. He explicitly SAYS both of the above - Can't get clearer that that! He says why he didn't go with Kal and he says why he wanted Kal raised human
  4. He never tells Kal to use the Genesis Chamber - Instead he explains it as being the downfall of Krypton, it's a warning or a cautionary tale, not an encouragement to use it
  5. He never tells Kal about the Codex! - This is critical! Even after Zod questions Kal, Clark goes home to Martha and says, "Mom, Zod said this Codex he's looking for can actually bring my people back." Zod never tells him he's the Codex either, so Kal doesn't know he's the Codex!
My interpretation is that Jor-El was worried if he told Kal what it was, that would be paramount to a command or imperative to use it. Instead, Jor-El wanted Kal- raised human and with the interests of both people in mind- to eventually learn about and decide what to do with the Codex.

We can already see from BvS that humanity is deeply interested in Kryptonian biology. It's only a matter of time before Kal discovers the Codex himself with humanity and together decide what to do about it.

Outside the film, Russel Crowe gave an interview where he interprets Jor-El as wanting Kal to start a literal Kryptonian-Human hybrid race on Earth as gods, which he- Crowe- calls "a touch of madness." So that suggests how he was playing the character whether or not it comes across. Obviously, Clark wouldn't be on board with that and Jor-El was right not to indoctrinate him into thinking that's the way things should have gone.

Polarburr

- Hush
- Under the Red Hood
- Court of owls

The ideal Batman trilogy for the new millenium.

It'd be cool if the Court of Owls is approached like Darkseid/Thanos/Voldemort. Their presence is felt in each Batman film. Would be a nice twist if Red Hood in the Under the Red Hood film is associated with the Owls in some way.

effzee

It's intentionally ambiguous because Jor-El didn't want Kal-El to repeat Krypton's mistakes.

If it were purely up to Jor-El, most likely he'd co-habitate with humanity where the Kryptonians ruled as benevolent gods. The hints we have to that effect:
  1. Saying Kal will be like a god;
  2. His speeches to Kal about guiding humanity and saving them all;
  3. His argument with Zod about co-existing with humanity.
However... despite his own inclinations, Jor-El knows that he's the product of a fallen culture and likely to pass on those mistakes to Kal-El. Jor-El believes this so strongly he does several significant things:
  1. He never plans to go to Earth with Kal - for fear of raising Kal with Kryptonian values / issues
  2. He makes it impossible for Kal to hear from him until he's been raised as an adult - He doesn't leave a message that Kal can access as a child
  3. He explicitly SAYS both of the above - Can't get clearer that that! He says why he didn't go with Kal and he says why he wanted Kal raised human
  4. He never tells Kal to use the Genesis Chamber - Instead he explains it as being the downfall of Krypton, it's a warning or a cautionary tale, not an encouragement to use it
  5. He never tells Kal about the Codex! - This is critical! Even after Zod questions Kal, Clark goes home to Martha and says, "Mom, Zod said this Codex he's looking for can actually bring my people back." Zod never tells him he's the Codex either, so Kal doesn't know he's the Codex!
My interpretation is that Jor-El was worried if he told Kal what it was, that would be paramount to a command or imperative to use it. Instead, Jor-El wanted Kal- raised human and with the interests of both people in mind- to eventually learn about and decide what to do with the Codex.

We can already see from BvS that humanity is deeply interested in Kryptonian biology. It's only a matter of time before Kal discovers the Codex himself with humanity and together decide what to do about it.

Outside the film, Russel Crowe gave an interview where he interprets Jor-El as wanting Kal to start a literal Kryptonian-Human hybrid race on Earth as gods, which he- Crowe- calls "a touch of madness." So that suggests how he was playing the character whether or not it comes across. Obviously, Clark wouldn't be on board with that and Jor-El was right not to indoctrinate him into thinking that's the way things should have gone.

Thanks to you and others for amazing responses. I guess the only logical follow up would be why even bother infusing his son with the codex. If he is to be raised as a human obviously he will grow up human and not to colonize, rule, or live side by side where by default his would be the superior race.

Did they ever expand on why they weren't having natural births on Krypton and how or why Kal El is born naturally? Is the significance just that he is the "ONE"?

GeeTeeCee

Thanks to you and others for amazing responses. I guess the only logical follow up would be why even bother infusing his son with the codex. If he is to be raised as a human obviously he will grow up human and not to colonize, rule, or live side by side where by default his would be the superior race.

Did they ever expand on why they weren't having natural births on Krypton and how or why Kal El is born naturally? Is the significance just that he is the "ONE"?

Kryptonian children at the time were being engineered to excel in certain areas (scientists, soldier etc), which I guess society preferred over regular birth. Said society also didn't give a crap about the fact the planet was about to explode, so understandably Kal-El's parents wanted to do things a little differently.

DaveH

I don't think it's that outcome is obvious. It's entirely possible that after being raised human, Kal thinks that he should benevolently rule or it's possible that Kal and humanity agree that their races should be merged / replaced. The possibilities are endless and Jor-El was adamantly against programming the future any more than it had been for centuries of Krypton's culture... he wanted the maximum possibility and therefore unlimited potential, rather than dictate- based on his own limitations- what the future of Earth / Kal would be. By allowing Kal to grow up human there's more potential for sympathy and cooperation but it isn't a certainty. If Jor-El wanted to force Kal to be sympathetic and coexist, he could have left instructions mandating that. Basically, Jor trusted Kal to find his own path.

It's only suggested. It seems that the artificial birth technology was created as a part of the Era of Exploration... as a tool to colonize planets (which is why the Scout Ship has a Genesis Chamber)... but when the effort collapsed and failed and resources became scarce, they used the tool on themselves to optimize society... and in the process lost that adventurous, risk-taking, chaotic spirit which allows for chance, choice, and maximum potential in exchange for conservative calculation of what society rigidly "needs" to the point of dogma (Zod's beliefs and why he's obsessed with the Codex and not just reproduction of any kind- which he could do naturally, or with cloning, or with the Scout Ship's colonizing growth codex- he wants a specific vision of Krypton or none-at-all / better-to-be-extinct).

Implanting the Codex in Kal means more possibilities. Not telling him means more possibilities. That was Jor-El's entire thing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
- Hush
- Under the Red Hood
- Court of owls

The ideal Batman trilogy for the new millenium.

I think you could possibly combine Red Hood and Court of Owls with some tweaking.

Have the Court hire Joker to distract Batman; Joker kills Robin; Court resurrects Todd as a proto-Talon; Play out the Batman/Hood conflict basically as-is; Final act is the Court releasing the Talon army, Red Hood and whatever we have of the Bat-family team up to take down the army; Batman goes to take out the Court, cool Maze sequence happens, Batman defeats the Court.

Loxley

Under the Red Hood and Court of Owls seem like the two most ideal candidates for solo Batman films since they're both recent and popular story archs that deal with a more middle-aged Batman. Between the two, I would bet money on Under the Red Hood (they'll probably go with "Batman: Red Hood") being the first.

Especially since they're planting the Jason Todd seed in BVS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom