• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, not laugh while branding fools? That ain't right.

You basically summed up my thoughts of why I don't like Mask of the Phantasm.

I could buy it if it's a result of Jason dying and he becomes more and more humane as the movies go on, picking up new robin after a red hood movie. I like seeing character growth and I feel like that's still something that hasn't been handled well in any super hero movies.

While my favourite Batman is Grant Morrison's "zen warrior" style Batman, I admit I do have a soft spot for the more brutal, "this is an operating table, and I'm the surgeon" style Bats - but not all the time.

Anyway, #TeamBatman

A mortal man choosing to fight crime gets more respect from me than an alien with the powers of a god.

That's where I stood for the longest time, an amount of admiration for Bruce because he was just the plain guy doing all this extraordinary stuff in the name of justice. What tipped me over to Superman's side is his desire to be a super hero isn't from tragedy but from an inner desire to do good, atleast in this take (though arguably he didn't commit to it fully until he talked to Jor El). Usually the Kents are the ones that instill altruistic values onto Clark.

Topping that, Barry (old origin), Wally and Billy Batson all have that desire too, and it isn't born from tragedy or from their parents.

You basically summed up my thoughts of why I don't like Mask of the Phantasm.

Wasn't there an episode where it showed a version of Bruce that didn't become Batman? If I remember right he was kind of coward. I like to think that Bruce would still have been a policeman or fight crime in some way if his parents weren't killed.

Platy

BQLQK6d.gif

...is that Billy Zane ?

...is that Billy Zane ?

Looks like random bald dude in a bizzaro-ish mocap suit.

Team Bats all the way. Batman is just..well, he's the fucking Batman. Coolest hero ever in my eyes.

Team Bats. I love Allstar Supes + that Reagan page and that sorta thing but...Batman has the swagger and the badassitude. I know the Bat god schtick gets old (even if Johns made the literal punchline of the Joke in Darkseid War) but when I read Morrison's JLA and saw

3521101-3167531966-batma.jpg

My alliance was sealed.

Firemind

I could buy it if it's a result of Jason dying and he becomes more and more humane as the movies go on, picking up new robin after a red hood movie. I like seeing character growth and I feel like that's still something that hasn't been handled well in any super hero movies.
I think Iron Man 1 did this pretty effectively. He went from jackass playboy extraordinaire to an inventor trying to make the world into a better place.

Also, Red Hood has a pretty dumb premise. I hope they don't make that into a film.

a916

?

Looks to me like they did the best they could with the source material they got.

Still looks too "wrinkly clothes" to me, the face doesn't even look good either... Iron Studios has a much better Batman and it's a fraction of the price (they nailed the look, but it definitely looks cheaper)

Busty

Banned
DarkEmpire.jpg

So..., if this is a devastated Earth post Darkseid, invasion per Bruce Wayne's dream/vision, with those columns of fire either Boom Tubes or lava erupting from the planet's core what is the larger structure in the background? It dwarfs the skyscrapers of the devastated city so it isn't man made. It looks metallic, not a natural phenom.

Is this some kind of technological colonisation by the forces of Apokolips or could this be the wreckage of some alien warships? If you look to the right hand side you'll see that the lava column/Boom Tube appears to be punching through the metallic structure of passing through it as if it were part of its design.

Could it be (and I'm seriously reading into this here) that
the Green Lantern(s) bring reinforcements to Earth to help fight Darkseid in the shape of other alien races and this nightmare shows their warships defeated and crash landed on Earth with the invaders victorious?

Just a thought.

So..., if this is a devastated Earth post Darkseid, invasion per Bruce Wayne's dream/vision, with those columns of fire either Boom Tubes or lava erupting from the planet's core what is the larger structure in the background? It dwarfs the skyscrapers of the devastated city so it isn't man made. It looks metallic, not a natural phenom.

Is this some kind of technological colonisation by the forces of Apokolips or could this be the wreckage of some alien warships? If you look to the right hand side you'll see that the lava column/Boom Tube appears to be punching through the metallic structure of passing through it as if it were part of its design.

Could it be (and I'm seriously reading into this here) that
the Green Lantern(s) bring reinforcements to Earth to help fight Darkseid in the shape of other alien races and this nightmare shows their warships defeated and crash landed on Earth with the invaders victorious?

Just a thought.

That would be a cool way to have them in it without being in it...buuuut I also figured that on Apokolips you have the Armaghetto as the undercity almost, in some depictions at least, sorta like how Midgar is in FF7. Could be that, with some Apokoliptian tech (inc fire pits) terraforming Earth into Apokolips 2.0

Busty

Banned
That would be a cool way to have them in it without being in it...buuuut I also figured that on Apokolips you have the Armaghetto as the undercity almost, in some depictions at least, sorta like how Midgar is in FF7. Could be that, with some Apokoliptian tech (inc fire pits) terraforming Earth into Apokolips 2.0

Hmmm. That's interesting. I know for a fact that, at one point, WB had been aggressively developing a New Gods film but I'm surprised that they would lean into the potential Darkseid etc mythos so soon with BvS.

You could very well be right and, upon reflection, that's probably the most logical answer. And, as a tin foil theory aside, the picture on the Hollywood Reporter site is tagged as
Dark Empire

Hmmm.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I know for a fact that, at one point, WB had been aggressively developing a New Gods film but I'm surprised that they would lean into the potential Darkseid etc mythos so soon with BvS.

You could very well be right and, upon reflection, that's probably the most logical answer. And, as a tin foil theory aside, the picture on the Hollywood Reporter site is tagged as
Dark Empire

Hmmm.

I look forward to seeing BvS more now :p I doubt Darkseid will make an appearance, maybe a name drop in Knightmare sequence, but the fact they're going all in makes me so happy. I mean as a final boss for the movies the only one they could really go bigger in some ways (for the JL movies) is the Anti Monitor and I'm not sure he'd even work in a satisfactory way on the big screen.

a916

What if the movie opens with that Knightmare scenario... that's actually real... and then Flash runs back in time and then the story picks up post Man of Steel?

Similar to Injustice where, if Batman and Superman don't put aside their differences, they'll be engaged in a war for years.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
What if the movie opens with that Knightmare scenario... that's actually real... and then Flash runs back in time and then the story picks up post Man of Steel?

Similar to Injustice where, if Batman and Superman don't put aside their differences, they'll be engaged in a war for years.

I'd really like that, but it would be a hard sell. Also, isn't he going to another reality when he does that? He doesn't actually go back in time, does he?

I'd really like that, but it would be a hard sell. Also, isn't he going to another reality when he does that? He doesn't actually go back in time, does he?

Flash can time travel, though I think it just splinters off a new earth from that point. Flashpoint originally revolved around this concept, but it's been shown that the pre-flashpoint universe still exists.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played the game (or read the comic) in a while, so you guys have to help me out here. Whenever time travels come into play things always get a bit confusing.

Is this like a DBZ thing? Goes back in time, but the changes he makes there don't have an effect on his own world but just for that one particular one? Then why bother? (unless he didn't know)

Or is it like a closed loop like in Harry Potter? In which case the world never would go to shit like that, because those events wouldn't have taken place...damn you a916.

tim1138

Haven't played the game (or read the comic) in a while, so you guys have to help me out here. Whenever time travels come into play things always get a bit confusing.

Is this like a DBZ thing? Goes back in time, but the changes he makes there don't have an effect on his own world but just for that one particular one? Then why bother? (unless he didn't know)

Or is it like a closed loop like in Harry Potter? In which case the world never would go to shit like that, because those events wouldn't have taken place...damn you a916.

Flash can time travel, but not without drastically screwing up the timeline and reality (see: Flashpoint). Now the Eobard Thawne incarnation of the Reverse Flash can travel through time at will and alter things, erase people from existence, basically screw with time as much as he wants without any real consequences.

Penguin

Sounds like two very reasoned viewpoints, let's see how the execution is

In the end, the argument goes like this: Superman thinks Batman’s methods make him as much a criminal as the menagerie of pantomime freaks he’s got locked up in Arkham Asylum (cue: Suicide Squad). “He doesn’t agree with his form of justice,” states Cavill, taking up the cause. “For this farm boy who tries to do things the right way, justice at any cost is not something he can come to terms with.”

He doesn’t want to bully Gotham’s gothic antihero – that would make him as bad as Batman. He’s supposed to be the figurehead for good, an untouchable. So at first, as Clark, he’ll try and expose him in the papers, “show the world what this Batman dude is doing,” says Cavill.

Problem is, Batman has no such qualms. Batman is willing to fight dirty. “Batman has seen the devastation that comes from aliens battling on Earth,” reasons Affleck. “He thinks Superman’s attracting flies to our planet. He is basically a beacon.” Batman has counted the cost of Superman’s so-called heroics. His view is simple: he’s destroyed a city, he’s murdered people, he must be stopped.

Between those two points I think

They'll have to establish that Superman's presence on Earth isn't luring these destructive alien beings to it. I suppose that's where Darkseid comes into play.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Something like this needs to be in the Justice League movie.

In the end, the argument goes like this: Superman thinks Batman’s methods make him as much a criminal as the menagerie of pantomime freaks he’s got locked up in Arkham Asylum (cue: Suicide Squad). “He doesn’t agree with his form of justice,” states Cavill, taking up the cause. “For this farm boy who tries to do things the right way, justice at any cost is not something he can come to terms with.”

He doesn’t want to bully Gotham’s gothic antihero – that would make him as bad as Batman. He’s supposed to be the figurehead for good, an untouchable. So at first, as Clark, he’ll try and expose him in the papers, “show the world what this Batman dude is doing,” says Cavill.

Problem is, Batman has no such qualms. Batman is willing to fight dirty. “Batman has seen the devastation that comes from aliens battling on Earth,” reasons Affleck. “He thinks Superman’s attracting flies to our planet. He is basically a beacon.” Batman has counted the cost of Superman’s so-called heroics. His view is simple: he’s destroyed a city, he’s murdered people, he must be stopped.
To me their philosophical views on how to handle crime could be really really good if handled well, we'll see.

I find this way more compelling than the reason Cap goes against Iron Man in Civil War. And Iron Man suddenly being so pro-authority doesn't jive well with me. Tony stopped making weapons for the army, in Iron Man 2 he went to court because he refused to give the Iron Man program to the government but he is ok with the hunt of one of his friends because Steve is worried about the well-being of his best friend? Tony has been with Steve in big life or death battles and even looked like they were friends at the end of the AoU, why not give Steve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Bucky, why not trust him?

I don't know how the Russo bros will handle the conflict, but from what I've seen the conflict doesn't make any sense specially since there hasn't been much animosity between the two in the previous 2 Avengers movies. At least with Batman and Superman there's already a conflict based on a ideals, and the friendship will form on shaky ground setting up further conflict down the line.

I really liked the implication in the newest (unless I missed one) TV spot. That when Clark decided to take on the "bat-vigilante," his first impulse was to do so as Clark. Not as Superman.

I really liked the implication in the newest (unless I missed one) TV spot. That when Clark decided to take on the "bat-vigilante," his first impulse was to do so as Clark. Not as Superman.

That's what I felt too. He tries, until "Nobody cares about Clark Kent taking on the Batman." Maybe that's around the time he has the confrontation we see in the recent trailer. That's when he gets really serious, and busts out the "Bat is Dead" routine.

Alienous

Still looks too "wrinkly clothes" to me, the face doesn't even look good either... Iron Studios has a much better Batman and it's a fraction of the price (they nailed the look, but it definitely looks cheaper)

I'm looking at the Iron Studios Batman. Eh.

I think they were smart to cover Batman's stomach with the pose they chose. The Hot Toys one looks more movie accurate to me.

kmfdmpig

Budget for this movie is $350m apparently. Looks like this movie needs to make a 1b to make a profit.

I wonder if the normal calculations for success/failure will be a bit different as they see this as jump starting a universe. If, for example, it made 1.1 billion with a $350 budget then that would be normally a moderate, but unspectacular, success. If they think that this will help with Wonder Woman, Justice League, a future Batman movie, etc... then maybe 1.1 would be considered a big success in this case.

GeeTeeCee

Guess we'll get a hostage situation

Supes will just use his super-speed and snap the dude's neck

CZzmsMvXEAAo6DT.jpg:large

I hope it's an end of film scenario. Superman drops in through the roof, and just as the criminal tries to back away, he turns... and Batman's right behind him. Credits.

Ashhong

I hope it's an end of film scenario. Superman drops in through the roof, and just as the criminal tries to back away, he turns... and Batman's right behind him. Credits.

This really brought it home that we are getting this movie. Any scene like this where they work together is going to be amazing.

I love Marvel movies but I think they really desensitized me in regards to team up movies. But now that I think about it, none of their characters have been as big as Batman and Superman. I really really hope this movie is good..

a916

That's my dream scenario, please do it WB.

That or a criminal is being chased down the alleys and it's Superman who confronts him from the sky back lit and all his glory... then he leaves without saying anything, criminal smirks... but the camera starts slowing going backwards to reveal Batman coming out of the shadows...

Budget for this movie is $350m apparently. Looks like this movie needs to make a 1b to make a profit.

Also, wasn't MOS completely funded by sponsors?

Penguin

This both means something and nothing

Among the slew of comic book films set for release in 2016, including new “Captain America” and “X-Men“ adaptations, early social and digital tracking places “Suicide Squad” and “Batman v Superman” 500% stronger than competitors based on standing at the same point pre-release. “Batman v Superman” is currently the #1 film by volume, followed by “Suicide Squad” and “Deadpool.”

It's great for BvS/SS but also competing against two movies that hasn't really kicked it into high-gear yet, and we've seen nothing of Doctor Strange

http://variety.com/2016/more/news/w...l-platforms-1201690088/?preview_id=1201690088

BvS hype is strong, despite vocal detractors. All the BvS toy racks at my Walmart were out of stock when I went through there today.

Hoping we get some news with DC Rebirth this week. It's not directly tied to the films going by rumors, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, the first Superman story dealt with Doomsday for the relaunch and they lifted ideas from the relaunch for movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom