• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I don't think this thread will be killed before the premiere, and then it will be appropriate. 1000 posts is a lot, 20 pages or something like that.

A couple of twitter posts from Snyder or a new trailer (there will be a final trailer right?) should do it. But I see no reason why they would close this thread with so little time to go. Just let it go over until the OT comes up.

Speaking of, that OT needs to be goddamn epic.

Ahasverus

PSA: The prequel comic apparently just confirmed that the first reddit leak is real, or at least it was an early draft, via a very obscure detail.

Ahasverus

Really? What detail?
5j24wgE.jpg
Luthor steals a device called a signal jammer, that he uses to make Superman's powers go rogue at the senate hearing.
From the leak
"Superman hears Batman's signal jammer and feels weak. He loses control of his powers and the building is evacuated just as it explodes, injuring several people and killing General Swanwick."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Did those leaks paint a positive or negative outlook for the film?

Dude that leaked them was gushing and some stuff sounded cool, definitely none of it has been shown in the marketing so far.

btw this quote by Eisenberg

When it comes to Lex Luthor, as fans of the comics would know, his conviction to help humanity is clouded by his obsession with Superman, and Eisenberg is fully aware of that. "What I think, makes the story relevant is this questioning of the value of this kind of power in the real world," said Eisenberg. "So my character, who has what we would think of as modern financial success, it threatened by this guy who has power in a supernatural way. Superman is an existential threat to my character."

dude gets lex.

Penguin

I swear to gawd if one of you starts a thread about the leak/comic!

Gonna make what Superman did to Zod seem like child's play!

Dude that leaked them was gushing and some stuff sounded cool, definitely none of it has been shown in the marketing so far.

btw this quote by Eisenberg

dude gets lex.

I have no problem atm with Eisenberg as Lex. I fee like the "hammy-ness" of the character is exactly the point, it's his public facade or an act to mask the "real Lex". Sorta like the Bruce Wayne/Batman or Clark Kent/Superman ideas. I just wonder if people will only find him annoying or jerky and not realize that may be the point.

I could be wrong.

Ashhong

It might if when we hear the early buzz from screeners and such..maybe.

Maybe I was in a bubble, but I heard almost nothing about JW before it came out. I don't remember any big hype, barely any commercials (although I don't watch too much TV). It came out of nowhere to me and skyrocketed. If BvS doesn't hit at least 175 I will be sad.

jey_16

Banned
that sounds...quite high? I mean after TFA (the only movie i've really looked at that stuff for) everything else feels normal :p Sounds pretty good though.

a $380m domestic run feels kind of low to me considering MoS did $290m

i hope the the international numbers really go up, thats what hurt MoS, it only did $377 while something like Thor 2 did $440m!!

PROS:

- 2013's Man of Steel opened with $116.6 million (when not including its Thursday Walmart previews) and went on to gross $291.0 million domestically.

- As mentioned, adding both Batman and Wonder Woman into the DC Universe mix should help lead to a healthy increase over the performance of Man of Steel, as Batman v Superman has more of an event feel to it thanks to those additions.

- Early Twitter activity for Batman v Superman has been healthy, but not out of this world. This far out the film has been performing stronger than Jurassic World and Furious 7, but significantly softer than Avengers: Age of Ultron at the same point in their respective cycles.

- With the performance of Batman v Superman being extremely important to the future of the DC Extended Universe going forward, Warner Bros. will be sure to push the film as hard as it can.

CONS:

- While Man of Steel performed well at the box office, critical reaction to the film was mixed and word of mouth among moviegoers was fairly average.

- The decision to relaunch Batman so soon after The Dark Knight Rises does have a level of risk to it, especially given how highly The Dark Knight Trilogy is regarded among moviegoers.

- Demand for Batman v Superman could be limited a bit by so many other high-profile comic book adaptations being released in such a relative short amount of time. Fox's Deadpool, Disney's Captain America: Civil War, Fox's X-Men: Apocalypse and fellow Warner / DC Extended Universe film Suicide Squad (which features The Joker, among others) will all be released between February 12 and August 5.

The Twitter point is interesting. Didn't really hear a hell of a lot about Jurassic World in the lead up.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you guys in Murica just need to go A LOT of times, problem solved.

Verendus

Banned
Maybe I was in a bubble, but I heard almost nothing about JW before it came out. I don't remember any big hype, barely any commercials (although I don't watch too much TV). It came out of nowhere to me and skyrocketed. If BvS doesn't hit at least 175 I will be sad.
Long-range forecasts tend to be useless. A brief look at the article, and it seems they're using some online metrics only. I doubt they actually understand much of what they're doing however, and I'm pretty sure they're just estimating based on their own feelings of where things will land. I glanced at some of their predictions for other movies in a similar manner, and they tend to be really inaccurate. So, ultimately, it's meaningless. It's no different than someone on GAF making a guess.

Movie studios are provided more substantial data (the National Research Group run surveys for example), and they'll also receive tracking data when it becomes available. So they have several data points in addition to online metrics which allows them to better judge a picture's box office potential. That stuff isn't available this far out to even studios however as the surveys take longer to come out.

You'll probably get a better picture of things in early March or so.

ryan299

According to THR Warners will not have a spot at the superbowl. If true, this is incredibly stupid.

While Warners hasn't bought an ad proper, it's possible a promotional partner could plug Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, starring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, in their spot, sources say. (Rival studios say they wouldn't be surprised if some of the cast were at the Super Bowl.)

Borrowing Alfed's history with Thomas from Earth One is something I'd like to see here. Gave him another reason to be fiercely loyal besides the butler gig.

guek

Banned
a $380m domestic run feels kind of low to me considering MoS did $290m

i hope the the international numbers really go up, thats what hurt MoS, it only did $377 while something like Thor 2 did $440m!!
Thor is stupid popular abroad for some bizarre reason.

$380M would be great and the upper end of comic book movies but not Avengers tier in terms of money.

Thor is stupid popular abroad for some bizarre reason.

$380M would be great and the upper end of comic book movies but not Avengers tier in terms of money.

Scandinavian countries pulling that weight.

I've talked about the box office enough times but I'd just like to reiterate that I think Star Wars brought a lot of people back to the cinema, and there could be overlap that will benefit BvS.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
1 - 1.5 billion. Maybe good wordtomouth and all of that could help push it to 1.7, but I kinda doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom