• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

tumblr_o1o7h8jZfY1rcm2tgo1_1280.jpg

Batfleck doesn't look terrifying enough, which reminds me of the demon batman in Begins. What if batfleck had the opposite of deadpool's white eyes?

xcsgB.jpg

6d7ebeae5a7ea5136ea9969f19637c9f.jpg

370c935b3e5829a382a7635d027a9221.jpg

I kinda wish they use the CGI eyes approach. I think dead pool looks great. Makes him feel so much more alive with just the eye movements..

Firemind

I just had the most lucid dream about the Justice League. Diana went rogue with the intervention of Zeus and took out Aquaman, the jobber. There's also other epic shit going on like Evil Superman (mind controlled?). The rest was kind of hazy but the special effects mah god. Based figmental Snyder.

Someone to call Bruce on his shit.
Who cares about just calling Bruce on his shit when you can also
MlTXMBV.gif

Hit a 13/14 year old girl(Selina Kyle).
Give Bruce his fathers watch to use as a weapon against a classmate, and then intimidate said classmate himself.
Dealt with assassins
animation4xdok4.gif

Fought a "super"villain
And thats in addition to regular stuff like training Bruce or asking him what he wants for dinner like nothing after he hit/threatened his classmate.

Who cares about just calling Bruce on his shit when you can also
MlTXMBV.gif
Hit a 13/14 year old girl.
Give Bruce his fathers watch to use as a weapon against a classmate, and then intimidate said classmate himself.
Dealt with assassins
animation4xdok4.gif
Fought a "super"villain
And thats in addition to regular stuff like training Bruce or asking him what he wants for dinner like nothing after he hit/threatened his classmate.
I'm not really a fan of Gotham as a show, but I would watch the shit out of a show about this guy.

a916

Warners apparently hasn't done a SB spot in like a decade, so it's not exactly out of pattern for them.

For a colossal budget and a marketing budget to match... it's weird they would opt out of what will turn into the one of the most watched broadcasts of all time.

That would be pretty great.

150 OW just sounds really low... I expected this to at least challenge 200M.... it's not Star Wars, and I didn't expect Avengers numbers out of the gate, but under 160 it comes in lower than Dark Knight AND Dark Knight Rises... which is worrying.

They're not really gonna be out of the broadcast, though. WB/DC is doing the Crash the Super Bowl co test, so there's going to be a presence at the game. Plus, they could still throw another trailer up online (or even buy a spot later on).

EDIT: The long-range numbers are just that, long range. There's no audience metrics/surveys pit into it yet. By March, you should start getting a clearer number.

150 OW just sounds really low... I expected this to at least challenge 200M.... it's not Star Wars, and I didn't expect Avengers numbers out of the gate, but under 160 it comes in lower than Dark Knight AND Dark Knight Rises... which is worrying.

The predicted $154mil takes the record for March and sits higher than April's as well. It's admirable for when it releases. Real advantage are the weeks to follow without another compelling blockbuster. Had Civil War shifted dates and BvS kept May, X-Men and others are soon after. That said, I believe Civil War will be the highest grossing this year, and I have reservations on whether X-Men matches DoFP without Hugh Jackman.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Batman really needs to teach Supes how to fight once they team up. JorEl could kick some ass, Supes was a brawler and got smacked around. I want a Batman and Superman training montage.

Verendus

Banned
I mean, it's common sense he'll be? His last one is Wolverine but why wouldn't he be in Apocalypse?
I don't expect to see him in there, and if he is, I only expect a cameo at most. If he had a major role, he'd be plastered everywhere already. He's still the biggest attraction of the X-Men franchise after all.

DoFP balanced it well. Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique were the heart of it. Wolverine was there to drive the story.

To tie this back to DC, it'll be interesting to see how the ensemble balances out in Justice League. I can see Flash and Aquaman getting a big push. Those two gotta carry 2018 without Batman around (yet).

Verendus

Banned
DoFP balanced it well. Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique were the heart of it. Wolverine was there to drive the story.

To tie this back to DC, it'll be interesting to see how the ensemble balances out in Justice League. I can see Flash and Aquaman getting a big push. Those two gotta carry 2018 without Batman around (yet).
Wonder Woman is going to get that super strong push.

Balee dat.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The new March issue of Empire magazine is full of new Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice info. It has epic new images, teases the introduction of Darkseid, and has great new interviews. I covered a lot of that here on Batman News, like producer Charles Roven’s controversial “executioner” Batman comments, and the fact that Gal Gadot thought her audition was for Catwoman. But there’s lots of interesting info that I haven’t seen other sites reporting. Check out over 25 details below.

“You’ll tell me if you don’t want me to do it”, Zack Snyder said to Christopher Nolan. Nolan found it “a little bit hard” according to Snyder, but gave him is blessing to reinvent Batman. “Well, we don’t own these characters. When you’re done making Batman movies, someone else will”, Nolan said.
Zack Snyder met with Josh Brolin and Richard Armitage for the role of Batman.
Warner Bros. tried to prepare Ben Affleck for the inevitable backlash of his casting news. They showed him all the negative things that people said about previous Batman casting announcements, going back to Michael Keaton, where they received 50,000 angry letters.
Affleck would have turned down the role if it were just a sequel to Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies.
Batman’s voice is digitally altered by his cowl.
Affleck and Snyder debated about film vs. digital on set. Snyder, like Christopher Nolan, is a big fan of film.
The “desert Batman” scene is a dream sequence and takes place in Kandahar.
Bruce Wayne lost people he was very close to during the Man of Steel destruction. People he could call family.
Wayne Manor is burntout. Bruce and Alfred live in a lake house.
Jeremy Irons’ Alfred is much more handson than any of the previous versions.
Zack Snyder was impressed by Jesse Eisenberg’s performance in The Social Network, and cast him as Lex Luthor after originally meeting with him for a different role.
Lex Luthor is witty and charming in public, but full of rage behind closed doors.
Lex Luthor is is interested in metahuman existence, and Wonder Woman’s appearance comes from that interest.
Zack Snyder says Wonder Woman’s introduction was organic, and made him realize how close they were to the Justice League movie.
Wonder Woman is over 5,000 years old and gets forced out of retirement.
Wonder Woman isn’t perfect, and can be “naughty” according to Gadot.
Wonder Woman’s sexuality is part of her power, according to producer Deborah Snyder.
Talks of doing a Batman vs. Superman movie next began just weeks before Man of Steel hit theaters.
The Batmobile gets repaired at some point in the movie.
Don’t expect Henry Cavill’s Clark Kent to be clumsy like Christopher Reeve’s. He doesn’t want to bring attention to himself.
Clark and Lois Lane live together in a Metropolis apartment.
Superman thinks that Batman’s brutal methods make him just as much a criminal as the freaks he locked up in Arkham. Superman doesn’t want to bully Batman, so he tries to expose him as Clark Kent in his newspaper articles.
When Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill disagreed about Superman’s psychology, they would both do pushups until someone gave in.
Cavill put on 30lbs of muscle for this movie, and will go down to 10lbs between each movie.
Lois Lane and Batman have a big action scene together that involving lots of wirework and special effects.

Some of it we knew, and some new interesting things. Snyder an Cavill doing pushups, poor Snyder. Taking those L's.

DaveH

I've talked about the box office enough times but I'd just like to reiterate that I think Star Wars brought a lot of people back to the cinema, and there could be overlap that will benefit BvS.
I'm a little pessimistic about TFA's effect on BvS. I think everyone liked it and tolerated getting dragged out to a genre / event film with the family during the holidays... but I don't feel like TFA was good enough to convert those who don't normally see movies or event films to feel they were missing out. We're a few weeks out from the premier and no one who wasn't a huge fan to begin with is still talking about Star Wars around the water cooler.

I feel like there's going to be a mild backlash against BvS by those reluctant TFA attendees, if BvS is billed as another nerd-event... but worse... serious and heavy homework without the excuse of holiday family bonding, airy fun, or kid-friendly feature. Basically, I can see the person skeptical of nerd events coming out of TFA doubly skeptical about having to see BvS to remain culturally relevant.

That said, I think for the younger fans or genre fans who haven't been to the movies in a while, TFA could have activated a fervor to want to experience a nerd event again, which might balance out the fringe skeptics... maybe? More than any of this speculation, the quality of the film, reception, and word of mouth will matter. You can be skeptical all you want, but if everyone at the water cooler is dying for you the catch up so they can talk freely without spoilers, you'll feel pressure to watch.

DaveH

For some reason I hope Cavil won those push up contests. I think Zack would get Batman better than he does Superman.
Doesn't sound like he did:

“I don’t do push-ups,” snorts Cavill, who prefers three hours a day in the on-site gym to maintain his Super-physique. “Zack does lots of push-ups on set, though. He’s started a push-up cult.”

I like that Cavill's protective of his character, but I guarantee you Zack's read more comic books- Superman included- than Cavill. A lot of times Superman fans lose sight of the bigger picture and demand more for Superman at the expense of the whole shared universe.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Clark and Lois Lane live together in a Metropolis apartment.

I want a romcom.

Also, this part tells me Batfleck was totally backseat directing.

Affleck and Snyder debated about film vs. digital on set. Snyder, like Christopher Nolan, is a big fan of film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom