• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

For BvS? Or just the previous movie. Because in the interview, the way I interpreted it, he's pretty clearly talking about Batman vs Superman, and when he says there is "already another version of the character" I only miss the words "in the movie". I really don't see them sticking with Ryan Reynolds but I dunno. But like I said I might be looking to much into it.

He had previously said a few months ago the character he would be playing had not been seen live action before. I'm sure it was just a reference to those earlier comments. I understand that it would sound confusing without that context.

inm8num2

So the Rock pretty much confirms (because he doesn't really dodge questions) that he'll be playing Shazam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI

tumblr_lacnbnAXxY1qdoghio1_400.gif

Great news!

Alienous

The more I think about it I realize that Dwayne Johnson would be perfect as Shazam. More than Lobo, or Green Lantern. He has the personality for Shazam, and would get some massive fight scenes. He'd be part of the Justice League. He's a draw for an otherwise C-Tier character (Someone like Batman being A-Tier and Green Lantern being B-Tier).

That's a great move on DC's part.

obin_gam

Who wanna bet that the moderator at the WB SDCC show will shout to the audience: "just say the word!" and the audience will be like "SHAZAM!" and the rock will walk out on stage swaggering ^_^

Blader

Pretty sure Shazam movie is coming out before Justice League according to the credible Finke leaked schedule:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

Right, but that's what I mean -- wouldn't Shazam coming out before Justice League mean he'd be in that movie too?

Dahbomb

Who wanna bet that the moderator at the WB SDCC show will shout to the audience: "just say the word!" and the audience will be like "SHAZAM!" and the rock will walk out on stage swaggering ^_^
That would be boss as fuck.

Rock as Shazam would be damn near perfect.

ReiGun

Assuming the rumors of Rock and Momoa are true (which, they likely are; neither actor is particularly good at dodging questions lol) we've got Supes, Bats, WW, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Shazam. This is fairly close to the lineups we've seen in the Nu52 comics and JL:War. The only question is are they going to break with tradition and have an 8 member League instead of 7, or is either Green Lantern or Flash going to be left out.

Assuming the rumors of Rock and Momoa are true (which, they likely are; neither actor is particularly good at dodging questions lol) we've got Supes, Bats, WW, Aquaman, Cyborg, and Shazam. This is fairly close to the lineups we've seen in the Nu52 comics and JL:War. The only question is are they going to break with tradition and have an 8 member League instead of 7, or is either Green Lantern or Flash going to be left out.

Leaving out the Flash would be the worst thing ever, he's the best comic relief in the group.

Nah. Bring in Guy Gardner.

ReiGun

If they are going with option two, Green Lantern is the one on the chopping block. He's the one with the big critical failure under his belt and he's the only way we have no rumors about casting on (The Rock was the only actor rumored, and he just deconfirmed that).

If the rumor about the Brave and the Bold movie are true, that might be how WB is hoping to relaunch Lantern: having him buttressed by Flash in a movie where he can have a bit more focus.

Gonzalez

Banned
So are there any prominent American Samoan child actors around?

...And will Rock be bald for Shazam, or will he be wearing a wig?

Green Lantern was such a missed oppurtunity. In the context of a Justice League movie, his powers have the best potential for fucking insane special effects. Kids would be lapping it up if he made a helmet with two miniguns on the side whilst assembling an airbag under a collapsing building. Such a shame he's now on the junk list because of that movie.

Leaving out the Flash would be the worst thing ever, he's the best comic relief in the group.
I would think they would probably leave out GL because he still has the stink from the Ryan Reynolds movie, unfair as that might be.

Wonder who they are picking for Billy, a complete unknown or some child actor that has some experience.

Penguin

If they are going with option two, Green Lantern is the one on the chopping block. He's the one with the big critical failure under his belt and he's the only way we have no rumors about casting on (The Rock was the only actor rumored, and he just deconfirmed that).

If the rumor about the Brave and the Bold movie are true, that might be how WB is hoping to relaunch Lantern: having him buttressed by Flash in a movie where he can have a bit more focus.

Actually think leaving out GL is the smart play here

Since such a broad and wide franchise, could maybe have a diff angle where always existed, and teaming with a newish Flash or something

Allows them to skip over Hal/Carol again, maybe do Kyle or John

Mariolee

For BvS? Or just the previous movie. Because in the interview, the way I interpreted it, he's pretty clearly talking about Batman vs Superman, and when he says there is "already another version of the character" I only miss the words "in the movie". I really don't see them sticking with Ryan Reynolds but I dunno. But like I said I might be looking to much into it.

You're looking too much into it and putting in your hopes into what is otherwise a pretty innocent comment. When he says there is already another version of the character, he is obviously talking about The Green Lantern film that relatively speaking JUST came out (it was only like 2011 right?). He never mentioned that this version was in BvS so the most reasonable thing we can gain from that comment is that he was talking about Ryan Reynold's character.

I would also like to add in my two cents about Reynolds and say that I don't think the old Green Lantern film will be tied to the new DC Cinematic Universe but if they do incorporate that into the new movies, they're going to have to do a lot of explaining in terms of how shocked people were about aliens in Man of Steel when a massive alien strike in Green Lantern happened. They may do something like in The Incredible Hulk where they skip GL's backstory and just get into it.

Right, but that's what I mean -- wouldn't Shazam coming out before Justice League mean he'd be in that movie too?

Most likely, yes.

Who is the Rock playing in Shazam? When I first heard the rumors I thought he was going to play Black Adam. Is he playing Billy or the wizard now?

By Billy, I meant Captain Marvel

ReiGun

From a storytelling standpoint, the casting of Billy is even more important than Shazam. I'm really curious who they're going to get for that.

Green Lantern was such a missed oppurtunity. In the context of a Justice League movie, his powers have the best potential for fucking insane special effects. Kids would be lapping it up if he made a helmet with two miniguns on the side whilst assembling an airbag under a collapsing building. Such a shame he's now on the junk list because of that movie.

You could have some crazy shit where he makes weapons for Wonder Woman, various ramps for Flash to run along for big set pieces, or makes hands to catch falling civilians while making fists to knock out Parademons. Damn it looks good in my head. lol

Mind, I don't want GL to get cut. But we already have six characters who are almost guaranteed to be in the JLA movie (I don't buy Shazam being separate one bit. The Rock is the biggest action star in the world right now; no way they leave him out of the freaking Justice League movie), and if they aren't going with 8 members, someone's getting left out. I sincerely doubt it'd be Flash, whose already the more popular character of the two and is only going to become moreso after his show launches.

Busty

Banned

Said it before but (at the time) Warner Bros were planning on keeping Shazam and Sandman separate from the 'Justice League universe'.

Because they aren't planning a huge combined film and TV universe don't expect all the films to be connected.

Well..., at least that was their intention.

Dahbomb

Yeah it would be a travesty if they don't have Flash in JL. Otherwise Shazam would have to work over time for the comic relief. Ideally they would have GL in there also.

So for JL we have thus far:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Cyborg
Shazam

Plus hopefully GL, Flash and/or MM to round it out.

I kinda wish The Rock was Black Adam, because he has that look and I would have liked to see him try to do the serious villain role. On the other hand, his strength lies in his charisma, and giving him a serious no smiling role could have led to a Will Smith in After Earth scenario.

Definitely seems like he will either be Adam or Shazam, unless hes trolling. I personally want him to be Shazam but I'm curious as to who's going to play Batson..

So wonderful that he becomes a hero again.

The man is simply too charismatic for you to actually dislike - which you'd need in a superhero movie.

Nobody actually DISLIKED Rock when he was a heel. They loved him.

.GqueB.

Banned
who the fuck is adonis inman and why does his opinion matter?

Kind of echoes the general sentiment of the internet these days. DC can do no right.

I'm, personally, looking forward to seeing what DC does. I'm admittedly unsold on DC heroes for the most part. Outside of a few standouts, they seem mostly silly but I'm still looking forward to how they translate.

ReiGun

The Rock is good as a heel, but not Black Adam's type of heel. Taking an actor who relies on his natural charisma and ability to be animated and making him be super serious and reserved would be a bad call. Plus, like I said, the Rock is the biggest action star in the world. You gotta make him the star of the movie.

Though, getting a kid who can match the Rock's energy and charisma well enough that audiences will buy them being the same person seems like a tall order.
So, will they call it Shazam or Captain Marvel? Quite difficult when you main rival in the business shares the name of one of you characters.
Shazam. DC legally cannot use the name "Captain Marvel" to advertise the character. It's why they changed it to Shazam for the relaunch; the original name is useless to them.

BadAss2961

So wonderful that he becomes a hero again.

The man is simply too charismatic for you to actually dislike - which you'd need in a superhero movie.

Nobody actually DISLIKED Rock when he was a heel. They loved him.
Well, nobody dislikes Joker either. But he's the best villain out there.

I'd still be interested in seeing Rock play Black Adam.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They should have Rock be both Shazam and Black Adam.

All the fights are going to be mostly CG anyway.

ReiGun

I'm still predicating that the entire Finke list, assuming it's true, won't be announced at SDCC. They'll announce Wonder Woman, and Shazam. Maybe Momoa playing Aquaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom