• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy117

Neo Member
Having actors with starfish attached to their face might not translate well.

Spongebob-163-mermaid-man-begins-origin-story-clip.jpg

Gonzalez

Banned
That's my beef with Darkseid as well, it introduces so many different concepts.

But who else do you realistically get as a first threat? I supported White Martians, but feel like would thread on Avengers with an alien threat of that nature. Though Darkseid/Thanos may also be a problem

What about the Crime Syndicate? Would be way better than going the Darkseid route. You would also be introducing the multiverse concept that superhero films haven't touched before.

ReiGun

I'd say Brainiac for the first one, Legion of Doom in the second, and Darkseid in the third if I had any kind of power.

Penguin

What about the Crime Syndicate? Would be way better than going the Darkseid route. You would also be introducing the multiverse concept that superhero films haven't touched before.

Same problem if the film is gonna introduce additional heroes and teams, you don't want to do their evil doppleganger at the same time.

Especially if audiences are unfamilar with the actual heroes.

If they were going the Marvel route, the Legion of Doom/Injustice Society could have worked.

Mario007

I hope they don't use Darkseid for Justice League. I would rather see the New Gods built up over multiple films (yeah, there's BvS, but how much of that can realistically fit in?), and besides, who can you have as the villain in Justice League 2 that wouldn't feel like a major comedown in threat level? The Anti-Monitor?

But then, the New 52 JL is undoubtedly going to be a major influence, so there's a pretty good chance they'll go in that direction regardless of what I think.

JL1: Darkseid
JL2: Supervillain team-up/ JLA v JL
JL3: Crisis on Infinite Earths bringing together their TV shows and Movie Universe as parallel worlds.

I cannot see Darkseid being in Justice League right out the gate. No way. To do him justice you need to set up a lot of world building.

Why not some incarnation of the Legion of Doom? We're probably gonna get a crap ton of characters like Flash and Aquaman people will have limited knowledge about. Why not introduce their main enemies as well, like Captain Cold and Black Manta? They're already taking a gamble, might as well go all out.

ReiGun

I cannot see Darkseid being in Justice League right out the gate. No way. To do him justice you need to set up a lot of world building.

Why not some incarnation of the Legion of Doom? We're probably gonna get a crap ton of characters like Flash and Aquaman people will have limited knowledge about. Why not introduce their main enemies as well, like Captain Cold and Black Manta? They're already taking a gamble, might as well go all out.

As much as I'm annoyed by the "bloated" comments that have dogged this movie, even I have to admit that the Legion right out the gate would be too much. Especially since you lose out on the main reason the Legion works: their individual grudges against the League. Doing that in the movie would involve a ton of exposition.

Can you even do a Darkseid tier villian in film? I mean, Superman, Shazam, and WW are fine but what the hell is Batman going to be doing, realistically? Unless he's just being a tactician from afar.

ReiGun

Can you even do a Darkseid tier villian in film? I mean, Superman, Shazam, and WW are fine but what the hell is Batman going to be doing, realistically? Unless he's just being a tactician from afar.

The JLA doesn't (or at least, they shouldn't) get out of bed for anything less than a potentially world ending threat, so a normal guy like Batman is always going to feel like the odd one out. That said, it's Batman. Audiences will go with it because they like the character and Batman being a member of the League is a known part of the character's history.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can sneak around and attack an exposed weakness with explosives etc. Fly around in the Batwing. Use the opportunity to hack into enemy systems. Walk up to the enemy and tell them "In my hand, I have a trigger ready to blow up your entire planet. Let my world go or we all die." There are ways you can keep him busy.

Just watch a few episodes of JLU and you'll get an idea. They'll probably have him fight furies or parademons, he'll just strap on some Wararmor or his shock gloves + have him outwit darkseid in some way.

DC has a tough spot with Shazam, his rogue gallery is pretty sparse. Mr. Mind is more of a behind the scenes villain and Sivana is very similar to Lex. The obvious choice is Black Adam, but that leaves potential sequels high and dry unless they pull villains from other characters (Wotan, Mordru, Eclipso).

DC totally going to make JSA movie now, Black Canary + Green Arrow (cash in on that Arrow goodness), Shazam, Hawkman, Power Girl, Mr. Terrific, Stargirl plz.

After comic con we may need to make a DCU thread, we're obviously going into more stuff than just BvS.

Penguin

I think one of the problems with live-action Batman is they don't tend to give him a ton of gadgets, but give him his shock gloves and some not too over the top gadgets, and he serves a purpose.

As long as he isn't finishing off the big bad, it's all cool.

Blader

I always thought a take on Morrison's Prometheus story made the most sense for a first Justice League movie. Batman's keeping tabs on all the other heroes, a villain hacks into these files and uses that info against them. What better way to unite the team than by forcing them together like that?

Penguin

I always thought a take on Morrison's Prometheus story made the most sense for a first Justice League movie. Batman's keeping tabs on all the other heroes, a villain hacks into these files and uses that info against them. What better way to unite the team than by forcing them together like that?

I feel like the ending would be difficult

It's easier when they are already a team and dealing with betrayal, but why team up with someone keeping files on you.

Would also need to introduce most of the league in BvS for that to make sense. And not in like minor roles

Just watch a few episodes of JLU and you'll get an idea. They'll probably have him fight furies or parademons, he'll just strap on some Wararmor or his shock gloves + have him outwit darkseid in some way.

DC has a tough spot with Shazam, his rogue gallery is pretty sparse. Mr. Mind is more of a behind the scenes villain and Sivana is very similar to Lex. The obvious choice is Black Adam, but that leaves potential sequels high and dry unless they pull villains from other characters (Wotan, Mordru, Eclipso).

DC totally going to make JSA movie now, Black Canary + Green Arrow (cash in on that Arrow goodness), Shazam, Hawkman, Power Girl, Mr. Terrific, Stargirl plz.

After comic con we may need to make a DCU thread, we're obviously going into more stuff than just BvS.
Shazam can fight his most metal villain, Sabbac
265px-Sabbac.jpg

OP, I hate that joker gif! Make it say "Laurence" not fucking Prince!!! The hell is going on around here!?
I'll assume it's been mentioned 1000 times.. :p

I totally get that. But I think it works better in the animated universe than it would on live action film.

I could see him being a tactician and blowing infrastructure up. But not facing off against a big bad.

It's weird how convention wisdom for making a film used to be "lets put as much awesome stuff in this film as possible and hopefully it will make money and we can do a sequel" and now it's changed to "lets hold off thing everyone wants to see for the third movie after we've made dozens of other movies featuring solo characters".

It's weird how convention wisdom for making a film used to be "lets put as much awesome stuff in this film as possible and hopefully it will make money and we can do a sequel" and now it's changed to "lets hold off thing everyone wants to see for the third movie after we've made dozens of other movies featuring solo characters".

With Comics there are so many tent pole storylines that need backstory to pull off properly.

I do miss the early Raimi Spidey days for that reason. Blow it all in one movie, start fresh on a new one, carry over some story elements.

With Comics there are so many tent pole storylines that need backstory to pull off properly.

Yet it didn't seem to be a problem pre-marvel U.

X-Men 1 introduced all of the X-Men, Magneto, the entire Brotherhood, and Sabretooth and it was well-received.

Spider-Man gave us Spider-Man and the Green Goblin's origins and it was a huge hit.

Batman 89 skipped most of the backstory and went right into the Joker and that was a huge hit.

etc etc

G-Fex

I wish DC were more ballsy enough to take the Batman 89 route and skip a lot of backstory so we can get to the plot at hand.

Just you wait til we get Batman origin #3 told in the first hour.

G-Fex, you're gonna watch the auteur Zack Snyder update Batman's harrowing origin in a black and white slow motion flashback complete with:

*slow-motion walking
*rain
*the killer will be completely shrouded in shadow
*Mama Wayne's pearls will snap and fall on the ground in slow-motion
*Young Bruce kneeling next to his parent's corpses under a street lamp with the Bat symbol being formed out of...something
*Capped off with Ben Affleck waking up sweating and breathing through his mouth

Yet it didn't seem to be a problem pre-marvel U.

X-Men 1 introduced all of the X-Men, Magneto, the entire Brotherhood, and Sabretooth and it was well-received.

Spider-Man gave us Spider-Man and the Green Goblin's origins and it was a huge hit.

Batman 89 skipped most of the backstory and went right into the Joker and that was a huge hit.

etc etc

X1? People were so excited just to get it. Doesn't mean it was good. Bastard characterization IMO but stellar casting.

Spider-Man is solo character, they started off exactly how they should have. With the exception of killing GG. To me that is a near perfect start of a franchise.

Batman? How old are you? That movie was gonna be a hit regardless. That movie interwove his backstory to a degree. But it's batman and his backstory is ingrained into pop culture much like Superman. If only WB realized we don't need a origin story every time the movie is relaunched.

As for other Marvel properties, they need a build up. They were not as popular or well known.

BTW I was Ecstatic that Burton didn't choose to go Origin route but start him off already as Batman. That should be done more often I think.

Avengers needed it though.

G-Fex

G-Fex, you're gonna watch the auteur Zack Snyder update Batman's harrowing origin in a black and white slow motion flashback complete with:

*slow-motion walking
*rain
*Young Bruce kneeling next to his parent's corpses under a street lamp with the Bat symbol being formed out of...something

This sounds too true.

I hate you for this.

*slow-motion walking
*rain
Awesome, I can picture it.

BadAss2961

*slow-motion walking
*rain
lol. Yeah, it's probably time for them to stop showing this.

A Dr. Manhattan style montage for Batman would give me a stiffy though.

ReiGun

Avengers changed the game. Kinda sucks cause I'd rather get as much of the good stuff in the first one then see what they come up with for the following than feeling like we're just getting foreplay before some big superhero orgy. The stronger the individual movies, the more I'll want to see the team up.

All this talk of "needing to build up" seems more like fans projecting what they want than anything.

This sounds too true.

I hate you for this.

You can just hear the Zimmer soundtrack in your head during this scene can't you?

DRUMSDRUMSDRUMSDRUMSDRUMS

*haunting melody sung by female opera singer

horns swell up as young Bruce looks up in the sky, only to end as Batfleck wakes up

G-Fex

You can just hear the Zimmer soundtrack in your head during this scene can't you?

DRUMSDRUMSDRUMSDRUMSDRUMS

*haunting melody sung by female opera singer

horns swell up as young Bruce looks up in the sky, only to end as Batfleck wakes up

It's so predictable how can it not be true?

Batman's origin is SOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT THAT WE MUST EMPHASIZE ITS DRAMATIZATION

Great Preview, better than the movie.

I don't like Zimmer I want a Score to accompany me on a journey not beat me into submission.

His Lone Ranger and inception soundtracks were legitimately fantastic for his recent stuff

I think with the superhero movies the studio wants him to go louder and louder

Aside from ottman's work on xmen though it's the most memorable shit you'll be getting out of the genre in the future

Other comic book properties (from marvel and sony) have had some lackluster music that is hard to recall lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom