• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

So I'm guessing with all this stuff you can unlock some matches could be heavily one-sided if the matchmaking doesn't work correctly?

You are still able to win since gear are not activated at the beggining and require shards to be activated. More powerful gear require a lot of shards..

Menome

So I'm guessing with all this stuff you can unlock some matches could be heavily one-sided if the matchmaking doesn't work correctly?

Not really, even the best gear I've seen so far doesn't go beyond an 11% increase and costs a small fortune to activate, which is better spent on towers and sentries in the early-game.

What stuff you can unlock? The third option helix? It's very equivalent to the other two, some of them read "apply slow for 3 seconds with skill 1" and the other says "apply slow for 3 seconds with skill 2". Nothing that you can say it's OP.

Not really, even the best gear I've seen so far doesn't go beyond an 11% increase and costs a small fortune to activate, which is better spent on towers and sentries in the early-game.

And a little "hidden" detail about that: you win xp with every buy/upgrade of deployables, so after some minutes you should be one level higher than someone who is saving for a 1800 scrap rare loot.

deoee

Activation of a legendary item costs 1800. That is such a huge sum you can barely afford it in end game except you save up.
The bonus is neat but nothing Op. My item has like +15% shield pen and - 0,57s shield Regen delay

Feeroper

I picked the game up last night despite having lukewarm feelings from the beta, however I am pleased to say that I really enjoyed playing it last night. It felt like it clicked for me, I cant explain why.

What platform did everyone pick up? I went with PS4 but will consider PC later on a Steam sale if the community remains big. Speaking of which, what did the steam user count get to last night? I had no issues finding games on PS4.

Also, what figure di everyone get for those who pre-ordered? I got Rath. It looks pretty good too, I was worried it would be awful from that picture someone posted earlier of Thorn.

Menome

And a little "hidden" detail about that: you win xp with every buy/upgrade of deployables, so after some minutes you should be one level higher than someone who is saving for a 1800 scrap rare loot.

True. Also, I don't think people realise that you get a sustained 3xp/sec for standing and defending Capture points too.

Hasney

What platform did everyone pick up? I went with PS4 but will consider PC later on a Steam sale if the community remains big. Speaking of which, what did the steam user count get to last night? I had no issues finding games on PS4.

Around 12k, which is small for a day 1 release, but obviously would have no trouble finding games with that number of people on.

Luq

Sales numbers are shit, they released the game at the time of Overwatch open beta... I don't really see it getting attention and the succes it deserves...

Hopefully it will stick around long enough to see a decent price drop and more people will jump in. Otherwise, this will be dead very, very soon...

Only problems I've had on PC matchmaking are finding somebody for the last story mission playlist at 5AM. Everything else has been really snappy and well-populated.

I'm enjoying the character background details, but it's weird that literally all of it needs to be unlocked, sometimes through severe grinding. I have no idea why they didn't at least give the player a little bit of character info by default. Why is Whiskey Foxtrot an undead version of Oscar Mike? Guess I need to kill a couple hundred enemy players to find out!

Very fun game regardless. I love the alternate scripts you get going through story missions, more games should do that.

gossi

For info, the day one peak PC numbers are well below Blink and Evolve day one numbers, and around 12 times lower than Battlefront PC. The matchmaking is good though.

For info, the day one peak PC numbers are well below Blink and Evolve day one numbers, and around 12 times lower than Battlefront PC. The matchmaking is good though.

I remember those games having a lot more hype than Battleborn though. Word of mouth will help this game. It's a lot of fun, lots of progression and local co-op.

arimanius

I think the biggest issue is the Overwatch beta started the same day and it was always going to be the more popular game. Also it seems to be fashionable to hate on the game because it's from Gearbox. So maybe it will die a horrible death or have legs based on word of mouth. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Personally I need to play it more before I can have a final opinion but what I played last night was fun. Only things I'm not liking at the moment is the characters being locked and not to fond of the shooting right now.

Hasney

I remember those games having a lot more hype than Battleborn though. Word of mouth will help this game. It's a lot of fun, lots of progression and local co-op.

Eh, it's had a much bigger marketing budget than any of the Borderlands games so far. No idea what 2K were thinking with their UK adverts though....

That's why I'm really interested to see the UK charts this week as they've spent a lot on making people aware of the game even advertising the beta pretty hard (with much better adverts for that than the game itself). I don't think word of mouth will be a huge thing when the feeling coming out of the beta was so mixed.

It's different enough from anything else popular out there though that it should find its audience. Brink and Evolve died quickly as most other team shooters had Brink covere (minus the Parkour) and if you like Evolve, Left 4 Dead has a lot of the concepts but a lot more of the fun.

Sales numbers are shit, they released the game at the time of Overwatch open beta... I don't really see it getting attention and the succes it deserves...

Hopefully it will stick around long enough to see a decent price drop and more people will jump in. Otherwise, this will be dead very, very soon...

Not to correct you but it's more like Blizzard put the Overwatch open beta during Battleborn's launch week. Pretty slick, if a bit devious.

Jay Seven

Banned
Eh, it's had a much bigger marketing budget than any of the Borderlands games so far. No idea what 2K were thinking with their UK adverts though....

That's why I'm really interested to see the UK charts this week as they've spent a lot on making people aware of the game even advertising the beta pretty hard (with much better adverts for that than the game itself). I don't think word of mouth will be a huge thing when the feeling coming out of the beta was so mixed.

It's different enough from anything else popular out there though that it should find its audience. Brink and Evolve died quickly as most other team shooters had Brink covere (minus the Parkour) and if you like Evolve, Left 4 Dead has a lot of the concepts but a lot more of the fun.
In the US it's never charted higher than 21 on the Amazon sales charts. That's a terrible sign for its sales outlook. Especially considering the game is 48 dollars at Amazon. You'd think that would have helped.

killroy87

Not to correct you but it's more like Blizzard put the Overwatch open beta during Battleborn's launch week. Pretty slick, if a bit devious.

Blizzard definitely went for the throat.

It's devious, but I don't think the Overwatch beta is what was stopping this game from being a million seller. At no point since this game's inception has excitement ever been super high.

People might be enjoying the game, but it's unarguably a huge mess of random ideas, a problem that the marketing team clearly wasn't able to solve.

arimanius

It's devious, but I don't think the Overwatch beta is what was stopping this game from being a million seller. At no point since this game's inception has excitement ever been super high.

People might be enjoying the game, but it's unarguably a huge mess of random ideas, a problem that the marketing team clearly wasn't able to solve.

I don't think this game would ever had been a million seller. But I do think the Overwatch beta took some people away who would of given it a look. Through on top of that all the hate people hear about the game and that's why it is where it is IMO.

gossi

The developer claims they spent more on Battleborn than Borderlands - that's straight from their CEO - so clearly they have very high expectations. When I went to see Captain America Civil War they had a two minute trailer for Battleborn right before the movie, which hammered home it could be played solo (multiplayer support got tiny font), which smelled of huge marketing issues.

Jay Seven

Banned
I don't think this game would ever had been a million seller. But I do think the Overwatch beta took some people away who would of given it a look. Through on top of that all the hate people hear about the game and that's why it is where it is IMO.
People didn't need to hear about the game though. We were all able to play it. I was looking forward to the game until I played it on PS4. The FOV and inconsistent FPS combined to make me feel ill. I imagine that's not an issue on PC, where do far it's been getting stellar reviews. I could never recommend it on console though, which is where this game needed to be great in order to be successful.

The marketing for this game really wasn't good imo. I saw some trailers at the movies in the UK but it never gave a clear sign of what the game actually was. Furthermore, the art style while charming focused on some of the worst characters imo.

It's a shame because since it's released i've been watching a lot of previews and honestly, it looks great but i'm at the point where I'm not sure if I want to spend full price on it if it's going to die out really quickly like Evolve.

I really hope the game gains some traction because an FPS moba hybrid looks really cool and i've always wanted to try a moba out but again, I don't want to buy it full price and have the community disappear within a year.

It's pretty telling when you look at both OTs and you see the Battleborn discussion largely revolving around Overwatch, whereas Battleborn is hardly even mentioned in the Overwatch OT.

Blizzard created a monster.

killroy87

The marketing for this game really wasn't good imo. I saw some trailers at the movies in the UK but it never gave a clear sign of what the game actually was. Furthermore, the art style while charming focused on some of the worst characters imo.

It's a shame because since it's released i've been watching a lot of previews and honestly, it looks great but i'm at the point where I'm not sure if I want to spend full price on it if it's going to die out really quickly like Evolve.

I really hope the game gains some traction because an FPS moba hybrid looks really cool and i've always wanted to try a moba out but again, I don't want to buy it full price and have the community disappear within a year.

Even playing the game, you still have a hard time summing up exactly what it is.

Hell, Pitchford's infamous tweet when the game announced should have been a clear indication that this game would have a major identity crisis. It basically stops just shy of saying "we're everything to everyone!"

PqRK7U8.png

Even playing the game, you still have a hard time summing up exactly what it is.

Hell, Pitchford's infamous tweet when the game announced should have been a clear indication that this game would have a major identity crisis. It basically stops just shy of saying "we're everything to everyone!"

PqRK7U8.png

Lmao, what a terrible tweet. What does that even mean?

Cleve

The game is pretty fun so far, but I feel like it's taking too long to unlock what I want to play, which isn't something I like in a moba or competitive game at all. I just want to jump in, play the character I like and start rolling. The unlocks are less incentives and more frustrations to me.

Luq

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they did - it just came out at the same time and that's one of the biggest reasons that it's not really doing spectatular, sales-wise.

Slathe

Still enjoying the game, but feeling pretty hampered by the lag. Most scenarios run choppy, but the pvp maps from the beta run fine. Of the non-beta multiplayer maps, I've only played Coldsnap (the meltdown second map) and its super choppy.

Thinking about if I want to commit to upgrading my video card for the game. Any recommendations on a relatively affordable one that can handle it no problem?

ObiDin

This game really gets better as you unlock new characters. The starter characters are fairly bland/standard but as you unlock Isic, Caldarius, Shane & Aurox, etc., then the game starts to really come into it's own. Plus, there's nothing quite like the feels of unlocking a new cool character after playing a match. The multiple unlock paths for each character makes it feel like less of a grind and more rewarding. Can't wait to unlock El Dragon and Phoebe and one day, Ghalt.

alext5

Neo Member
I have a lot of fun right now with the game.

I played both incursion and 2 story missions and I must say that I like it a lot but it's not an easy game. It requires a lot of teamplay on both Story missions and MP and I don't see much of it.

I rented it and I am still not sure if I want to pay 79.99$ for it since it's likely to have a very small player base.

I've been playing on Xbox One and I haven't ran into too much trouble except when my daugther powered off the console while I was playing the prologue. When I got back, I had to start it from scratch even the unskippable video part that was nice but a little long.

daedalius

They've been doing this shit with WoW forever; if another MMO is coming out between expansion cycles, you better believe the expansion BETA is launching the same day as the other MMO releases.

Whatever, I had zero issues finding matches last night. I just hope it keeps up, as I liked OW, but didn't really love it.

Also, halo does pretty bad on twitch besides major tournaments, and I'm fairly sure it has a large population.

Mossybrew

Plus, there's nothing quite like the feels of unlocking a new cool character after playing a match. The multiple unlock paths for each character makes it feel like less of a grind and more rewarding.

Yeah I know some people don't like having so many characters locked, but I personally like looking forward to the unlocks even if some take a while. It's that whole carrot on a stick thing I guess, but it works for me.

I love this game guys , but I have to say that Thorn is so damn awful I was raped yesterday using Thorn :(

This happens to me a lot, I'll think a character is shite then someone rules a match with that same character. Phoebe for example when I unlocked her during the beta, I proceeded to stink up a whole match with her, did awful. But I've seen people work her like a terror.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Man playing with a full group of friends on meltdown was rough. The fps regularly drops into the teens, and the starting group of heroes sucks. If you hated borderlands humor, they've leaned into it all the way and it's annoying. I'm not saying overwatch is great, but it's the better of the two if you are playing with a group of pals. Don't buy it.

deoee

Yeah I know some people don't like having so many characters locked, but I personally like looking forward to the unlocks even if some take a while. It's that whole carrot on a stick thing I guess, but it works for me.

This happens to me a lot, I'll think a character is shite then someone rules a match with that same character. Phoebe for example when I unlocked her during the beta, I proceeded to stink up a whole match with her, did awful. But I've seen people work her like a terror.

Phoebe <3

ObiDin

Man playing with a full group of friends on meltdown was rough. The fps regularly drops into the teens, and the starting group of heroes sucks. If you hated borderlands humor, they've leaned into it all the way and it's annoying. I'm not saying overwatch is great, but it's the better of the two if you are playing with a group of pals. Don't buy it.

To each their own I guess. I love the humor in Boderlands and Battleborn. Even when I get wrecked in Meltdown, I'll respawn as Isic and chuckle at his rant about organic life.

I still don't know why people feel the need to tell others to play a different game in this games OT.

arimanius

What version are you playing? No issues on the PC.

MihowZa

Banned
Yesterday I played for 8 hours, including two story missions as when I started using Miko I got really absorbed into the MP ( reminds me of being a Disc Priest in WoW ). I failed one mission and did great in the mechanical spider one. I do wish there was a 'continue' option if some kind and I do feel everything takes a bit too long to load into.

Aside from that I'm having a blast. There's a ton to do and I've found two characters I really enjoy and somehow I even recall their names ( Mike and Rath ) and now I'm looking for a shooting character I enjoy. I unlocked ( Kelvin? ) some ice monkey thing that's melee that I absolutely hated but loved the mechanics of so may try to play him a few more times but seemed like he died quickly and did absolutely shit damage.

Game would be even better if I had friends on Steam but I don't so it's been just me all the way. When people talk or use the chat option is when the game shines. I always say what's up @ the beginning and I've only been told to fuck my mother once, which I feel is a great ratio but too many times no one says a thing. Like, we're all playing an online game on PC, say something.

Top Bottom