• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Mossybrew

After finally getting to play a couple hours of the Overwatch beta it's clear to me that these games can coexist. Overwatch is a much simpler more focused experience, Battleborn had the depth, complexity, and variety of gameplay modes that set it apart and bode well for the long-term health of the game IMO.

Anyway what's with folks not protecting objectives in Story mode? Three times I tried to run a story mission today, three times failed due to a mission-critical thingie not being protected.

arimanius

After watching streams all day and seeing all the "big" name streamers do nothing but story mode and then complain about content, price, lack of characters, etc. I hate to see what the reviews are going to be.

edit* Which is a shame since I'm still on the fence and trying to get a nice comprehensive review.

After watching streams all day and seeing all the "big" name streamers do nothing but story mode and then complain about content, price, lack of characters, etc. I hate to see what the reviews are going to be.

I can understand the "price" argument, $60 is hard for some people to swallow given that Overwatch, Paladins and Lawbreakers will be $40 or less. The "content" argument...eh, I guess. It does not have a lot of maps for multiplayer right now, and I've already talked about the story mode.

However, the "lack of characters" argument is absurd. This game has more characters than any of the hero shooters on the market right now. If the complaint is in regards to the fact that most of the cast needs to be unlocked in order to play, then yes, I consider that a valid complaint. Some people just want to play Ghalt right away.

arimanius

I can understand the "price" argument, $60 is hard for some people to swallow given that Overwatch, Paladins and Lawbreakers will be $40 or less. The "content" argument...eh, I guess. It does not have a lot of maps for multiplayer right now, and I've already talked about the story mode.

However, the "lack of characters" argument is absurd. This game has more characters than any of the hero shooters on the market right now. If the complaint is in regards to the fact that most of the cast needs to be unlocked in order to play, then yes, I consider that a valid complaint. Some people just want to play Ghalt right away.

True but Overwatch is 60 on consoles and if your on PC you can get Battleborn cheaper than that.

The lack of characters is because they are comparing it to a moba like LoL that has what 130? Not a fair comparison but one I've seen a few times through out the day.

Menome

Gearbox did a pretty good job of providing content for Borderlands 2 post-release, to the point where I was still playing it a year later. If they really are dedicated to this game, I think the variety 'problems' will be addressed in due course.

Plus, I don't think it's been stated that the five upcoming characters are definitely the only five extras that the game will receive. There must be the potential for dozens more down the line. I also wouldn't put it past them to sneak in a Borderlands cameo character either somewhere down the line.

Seems alright from what I played, but I don't like the idea of unlocking heroes. I know some of them are easy to unlock but just kinda wish they were all unlocked from the start

Quesa

Can't seem to get the game to read my NAT as Open no matter what I do. Tried DMZ, tried Going from Secure to Open in my NAT settings :\

arimanius

Finally got to see some of the MP action on some streams and it looked pretty good. So I decided to go ahead and jump in and give it a shot. Used cdkeys for the first time so got it at a decent price.

Based on what I saw it looks to be a pretty different experience from Overwatch so think I'll be able to enjoy both of them. Now just waiting for it to get done downloading...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I rarely have a problem with Unlock Mechanics when you have multiple ways to unlock. Progression in a game like this is not "leveling"; it's seeing what each character can do, and then learning your niche after experiencing everything.

A little bit of patience to go through the ropes in a game you're potentially playing for MONTHS in order to get the proper value out of it isn't so bad.

Though I totally understand, having played the Beta, how annoying it is not to be able to get back to a character you like.

- - - -

Anywho, it was surprising even split screen partners need to go through the prologue solo in order to get the first unlocks. After I did prologue, took my splitscreen bro online with me, and he was stuck picking random select. It counted as him not having unlocked ANYTHING yet, lol.

I enjoyed the prologue, though. It's nice seeing a game where each character is animated in THEIR style, and not just using the same canned boring, personality-less animations that are shared between EVERY player character. This is so much more my speed than better stories with millions times worse characters. Of course, I have the rest to play though... lets see how much that changes things.

Enjoy how Melka has anime-fighter style triangle dash control potential, lol. Super Jump! Melee that has pushback! (Always reminds me of Baiken's air dust dragon cannon), Lunge forward with a claw... that can THEN also have pushback as an ability! I didn't get to play her in the Beta, so I've enjoyed getting introduced to her.

Also enjoyed how her secondary fire (her melee string) has 5 different hit animations. Along with her quick melee B button attack. AND she has a running slide. Just not the kind of attention to detail I expect in games that start off with 25 characters already, y'know?

And going through a prologue chapter with 2 very different looking women who both had athletic-looking builds and were well dressed! That happens in games? *shock*

It's a good first-time-with-full-game impression. I'm always glad I don't overload on 1st / 3rd person shooters or such saturated genres now-a-days, because I think it helps me appreciate the details in the ones I like much more.

Ahh...now I go for one whole week without really getting to play this for extended periods. I'm glad I managed to play it a whole bunch last night, just so that I could complete the campaign.

I'll probably be able to get one hour of gametime every day for the next seven days. Time to continue grinding SP this week.

Pretty annoyed that people leaving midway through a match makes certain missions impossible (?) to finish. Doing that mission that was in the beta...Void something or other, get to the part where three of you have to stand on the pads and one person gets launched...well, 2 of the 5 people had quit the game, so the three of us that were left just had to quit the game because it didn't go down to requiring only 2 people to stand on the pads.

Otherwise I love the game.

Dazzyman

I've double dipped on this.

On PC add me on steam Dazzyman
On xb1 add me Dazzyman.

Prob end up being a healer as that's were I tend to gravitate on shooters as a medic :)

Bought it on xb1 to play with my ex wife and her fella. Pc for shiny gfx.

shanafan

So, I got a checkpoint in the Prologue and decided to take a break, and come back.

Restart the game, and the Prologue has me at the beginning again..

So, I got a checkpoint in the Prologue and decided to take a break, and come back.

Restart the game, and the Prologue has me at the beginning again..

Checkpoints are only respawn points while you play. Anytime you quit mid-mission, you have to restart it from the beginning.

This probably has to do with the online connectivity of the game.

shanafan

Checkpoints are only respawn points while you play. Anytime you quit mid-mission, you have to restart it from the beginning.

This probably has to do with the online connectivity of the game.

Makes sense. Just disappointed I can't even skip the opening cinematic.

Is this going to be another decent game that gets branded with the damning "content" complaint?

I'm so fucking sick of that word. A game is fun to play and you want to keep playing it or not. "Content" is meaningless. it's a marketing buzzword.

Spruchy

Is this going to be another decent game that gets branded with the damning "content" complaint?

I'm so fucking sick of that word. A game is fun to play and you want to keep playing it or not. "Content" is meaningless. it's a marketing buzzword.

Uh, if a game has a lot of maps, modes, weapons, etc. then by all means will that be a + in my book and conversely a game lacking those things would make it a -, buzzword or not be damned.

Spent the whole day going between this and the Overwatch beta, May is goooooooood this year!!

I'm really enjoying this game, my only drawbacks at the moment are:

- the way always online is handled seems cumbersome/weird. Always making lobbies and syncing things, I don't know. It's bothersome.

- I'm jealous of the PC version's graphics. On PS4, the game just seems a little weak visually. The characters desperately need to pop from the environments and everything just needs to be a bit crisper. (That said, at times the art style really clicks and the environments especially look great, just when action happens things suffer)

- Unlocking characters is annoying. It takes a considerable amount of time to do so, and I think that's inapporpriate for a game with the selling point of 'so many different characters!' Having a few, five even, be unlockable would have been fine. But, in my opinion, they should have regarded this as a fighting game and had most of the roster available from the start.

That's it! Enjoying it otherwise! Really looking forward to playing more.

Uh, if a game has a lot of maps, modes, weapons, etc. then by all means will that be a + in my book and conversely a game lacking those things would make it a -, buzzword or not be damned.

Nope. A game with a lot of variety in modes/weapons/etc that's no fun is still no fun.

Assassin's Creed 3 had a whole, whole lot of content for sure. Who loved that game?

Vee_One

Edit: haven't bought yet, about to pull trigger.

I really hope this game has some legs on PC, I really want to get it but I'm just not sure how much longevity it will have. I'm going to be playing close attention to the numbers over the next few days.

Just bought it. Hopefully I will like it.

The EB Games pre-order figure is a joke. I got the wood elf woman and it's a tiny, poor resemblance piece of garbage.

The box it came in was nicer.

Edit: haven't bought yet, about to pull trigger.

I really hope this game has some legs on PC, I really want to get it but I'm just not sure how much longevity it will have. I'm going to be playing close attention to the numbers over the next few days.

If this game goes through the same discount cycle that Borderlands went through, it should enjoy decent legs. I doubt anything can make up for its quiet launch, but early user impressions on Steam and metacritic seem to be very positive, which may help it build word of mouth over the long run.

arimanius

Got to play the prologue and one incursion game using Montana. I will say that it's definitely different. I can see where incursion could be a fun mode once everyone figures the ins and outs of it. It did take awhile for me to get a game which I found odd.

I'll have to get more play time in tomorrow but so far I'm liking what I see. The shooting is different than what I'm use to but the characters seem interesting and it has Gearbox humor all over it. Love the art style of the game as well.

Finally got my copy. Installin it now. Didn't read the specifics aside from the story co-op packs, but does the season pass carry any other goodies?

daedalius

Servers broke on xbone? Can't get into a match in anything

Nvm, apparently the connection gets real janky if you put your xbone to sleep then load it back up with battleborn still running

Party matching should really be a thing, totally gonna lose this match

Servers broke on xbone? Can't get into a match in anything

Nvm, apparently the connection gets real janky if you put your xbone to sleep then load it back up with battleborn still running

Party matching should really be a thing, totally gonna lose this match

Yeah this is very annoying. Need to fully quit the game if you plan on matchmaking on wake up.

Feonix

So I was playing a decent amount last night. Beat the prologue, two story missions, played in a few vs. matches, etc. Was fun. Last match ended when I received an error that shut the game off. Whatever, I was pretty tired at that point anyway. Turned it off and went to sleep.

Came back just now to play some more and it says my data has been corrupted and must be overwritten. Basically all of my progress has been deleted and now I have to start over all the way from the beginning, even the damn Prologue. What the actual...?

This happen to anybody else too? It's really disheartening. I was having fun but now I don't even feel like bothering to play again knowing that at any point all of my progress might be completely deleted. I know I probably can't get a refund at this point, but god damn am I salty.

Top Bottom