• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Steel

Banned
All 3 of the pvp matches I played tonight had leavers, seems a real issue. And the team with the leavers was the team losing in all 3 cases. Incredibly frustrating when your team mates leave because you're losing after 5 mins, and incredibly unsatisfying to win only to realise the other team was 2-3 man down. The game is so fun though, I hope they can work it out asap.

Yeah, hate it when that happens. Especially considering there's a surrender option if you want to end it early.

I only hope the free DLC characters aren't complicated or grind heavy to unlock since season pass holders automatically have them unlocked.

deoee

Alright, took a dive. Grabbed this. Steamid is Timeaisis.

image.php

Is it just me, or is it crazy that Mel is the first character players are introduced to, positioned as a point of view character in the prologue, and then gets locked behind one of the longest unlock requirements in the game?

Caim

Reyna makes The Saboteur mission much easier to deal with if she spams her ult on top of Nova on the last defense phase.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Caldarius' cool down feels LONG. I love the idea of his flashbang (especially with bleed), but it takes FOREVER to come back, lol. His speed dash as an escape is fantastic, sure, but I'm surprised how double jump feels SO BAD to start off with. I thought it'd have more height, and make it easier for me to clear certain ledges, but it's more like a curiosity at first.

Miko really does seem like THE support. I also feel that Reyna is very strong in this role, and she brings more killing power to "support" by helping for off the enemy faster.

Some characters and builds just feel bad in certain modes. "Meltdown" really favors fast AoE attacks to help clear minion waves, and get you moving again.

Having a sniper on "Incursion" seems to make everything move much better. Since it has such wide open lanes, it makes it easy to assist in damage well.

I'm surprised at the vast difference in the 2 "Capture" maps. One feels fast paced and intimate, the other feels HUGE in comparison, making it hard to even see the other points on your minimap.

I look forward to earning the other characters, but I'd be lying if I said the ones you start with feel shallow. There's a lot to work through with even what you're introduced to, and I always appreciate the idea of learning the nuance of a character, rather than jump jumping between them willy nilly, never settling to really get used to something. At least for a little while, anyway. I do look forward to trying out Kleese one of these days, lol.

zedge

Haven't had a chance to play too much yet but I really like what I have. Too bad this game is so overshadowed by that other one. I think its really a great package with fun coop missions and some great pvp.

Quesa

Anyone else having problems completing "The Saboteur"? Tried it four times on normal with randoms, failed all of 'em. Wondering if I should just hop in alone.

Need teammates on PS4 version. Played a match earlier and before it even loaded in we lost a teammate. Then another person tried to vote to surrender and nobody else voted yes so that person left. 5 v 3 is not very fun :\.

PSN is PaulKersey

Is it just me, or is it crazy that Mel is the first character players are introduced to, positioned as a point of view character in the prologue, and then gets locked behind one of the longest unlock requirements in the game?

Honestly, the fact that this game only starts you out with 7 characters is absurd. I was really thinking about this, and if you really can't have every character unlocked from the beginning because you want "progression" or whatever, then I feel that the game should start with 15 characters unlocked. Have 10 unlockable via the campaign/one character unlock every four command levels.

Given that the rest of the hero shooters don't seem to gate off their roster, the fact that only a limited number of this game's roster being available to you at the start is a big mistake.

arimanius

So people don't play the objectives, if they are on the losing team at the beginning they either quit or start voting for surrender when the game is easily winnable. Pretty frustrating.

So people don't play the objectives, if they are on the losing team at the beginning they either quit or start voting for surrender when the game is easily winnable. Pretty frustrating.

Yup. Had a match earlier where it was 5 on 5. The score was around 150 to 50. Not a great start, but I've seen some crazy comebacks in the beta.

Anyone else having problems completing "The Saboteur"? Tried it four times on normal with randoms, failed all of 'em. Wondering if I should just hop in alone.

I only lost once on that mission. It was because I was using Attkius, a melee hero. Once I switched to Orendi, I beat that mission without much trouble.

My only problem with that level is that it chugs my computer to hell. I need to set every single setting at the lowest possible setting in order for that level to at least run at 30 FPS minimum. This also applies to the Incursion map "Echelon", for some reason all stages on that planet chug my computer to hell.

I don't know why I do the dumb things I do. I played the prologue and then 5 minutes of a single multiplayer match in this and I really don't feel like playing it anymore.

Those Steam player numbers are rough. Not even in the top 25 during its launch week.

I really wanted this to do well, I don't know what happened.

Steel

Banned
I don't know why I do the dumb things I do. I played the prologue and then 5 minutes of a single multiplayer match in this and I really don't feel like playing it anymore.

Those Steam player numbers are rough. Not even in the top 25 during its launch week.

Keep trying, you might find a character you like.

patchday

I'm surprised it's so dead too. I thought the beta was fun but as I explained on page 1, I am worried about the RNG aspect. I guess they might have turned off other pvpers too. A lot of us 'dedicated' pvp fans got really worked over by many other RPGs with RNG

But still--- the game is fun. Nice fun, light hearted comedy, great environment, etc. This is a good game for people that love random loot and stuff like that

Myself though I need some form of Trading and Crafting. No trading or crafting with just pure random loot? No thanks for me

edit- granted part of me is still tempted to buy it though at a discounted price tho. No way I'm paying full price

daedalius

Taking forever to find a MP match on X1... very worried about the player population.

Was fine yesterday, I can't imagine the population has dropped off a cliff in less than 24hrs

Try restarting the game, sometimes it messes up and won't join properly

Add me on Xbox 1 if anyone wants to play! I've played 15 matches and only lost once. Seems people don't understand you need motions to take shields down. No one else but me destroy enemy minions! GT same as name

Mossybrew

Given that the rest of the hero shooters don't seem to gate off their roster, the fact that only a limited number of this game's roster being available to you at the start is a big mistake.

Have just a little patience. The starting characters are all good in their own way. I've already unlocked four more characters basically without even trying, just playing the game. Game's only been out two days. Before you know it you'll have so many characters to choose from you won't know who's your favorite.

NMFried

I be on that Oscar Mike grind all day.

Am I going to enjoy Overwatch more than this? I'm having a pretty great time with this game.

Gator86

Yup, I just played the prologue, which was super forgettable, then waited 5 full minutes for matchmaking in a versus and got stuck with a bunch of 20+s vs all level 2s. Turned it right off and went back to the Overwatch beta. My single greatest hope for this game now is that the flaming wreckage doesn't hurt Borderlands 3 development.

Am I going to enjoy Overwatch more than this? I'm having a pretty great time with this game.

Depends on what you're enjoying about the game. This is very much a moba/shooter hybrid whereas Overwatch is a faster paced, character based shooter

Yup, I just played the prologue, which was super forgettable, then waited 5 full minutes for matchmaking in a versus and got stuck with a bunch of 20+s vs all level 2s. Turned it right off and went back to the Overwatch beta. My single greatest hope for this game now is that the flaming wreckage doesn't hurt Borderlands 3 development.
As someone getting matches I hope not. Maybe it was just unlucky timing on your part.

Steel

Banned

They're more than different enough that you might or might not. It's in open beta tomorrow so you can find out.

Glad I decided to get this. Been playing incursion and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Tried Capture though but that was not fun at all. Seemed really unbalanced but maybe I was just playing it wrong.

U2NUMB

Really enjoying the game the more I play it. If you are on the X1 add me, I have over 300 friends and not a single one has the game :( .. Tag: U2NUMB

daedalius

I mean, level isn't exactly reflective of skill level? But whatever, bye.

U2NUMB

I am a level 3 still and I am far ahead on the scoreboards than many with MUCH higher rank. It means nothing... no idea why you would bail that fast. The game is fantastic but it does take a bit of playing to figure it out. Once you do it shines.

Gator86

I am a level 3 still and I am far ahead on the scoreboards than many with MUCH higher rank. It means nothing... no idea why you would bail that fast. The game is fantastic but it does take a bit of playing to figure it out. Once you do it shines.

I didn't equate level to skill. It does show experience with the game, which is important for a MOBA-type game. I'm guessing most people didn't dump twenty hours into the beta like I did. Waiting for sluggish matchmaking sucks. Waiting for sluggish matchmaking just to get rolled by a team that knows what it's doing for 20 minutes sucks more. The game can definitely be fun, but my anecdote aside, it's not crazy to look at the giant pile of evidence and assume it's probably DOA

Timeaisis

Ugh, the campaign is bad. I hate how you can fail a mission so easily if your team doesn't defend stuff properly. And it's not like you can just retry from the closest checkpoint, nope 30 minutes wasted. Not a fan.

Is there a faster way to unlock characters than doing the campaign?

Warxard

Banned
I didn't equate level to skill. It does show experience with the game, which is important for a MOBA-type game. I'm guessing most people didn't dump twenty hours into the beta like I did. Waiting for sluggish matchmaking sucks. Waiting for sluggish matchmaking just to get rolled by a team that knows what it's doing for 20 minutes sucks more. The game can definitely be fun, but my anecdote aside, it's not crazy to look at the giant pile of evidence and assume it's probably DOA

The game has only been out for two days

Why are you playing pub matches solo

I mean it's a MOBA and MOBAS are fucking awful solo lmao

DarkKyo

Lol why did you buy this
Between the impulse purchase and the split decision that the game sucks it just sounds like you don't really think things through very much.

Not sure if anyone else posted but here are the reviews I found so far

Cheat CC 4/5
GameRevolution 4.5/5
Gaming Trend 90/100

Better than I expected but these are small publications. At least one of them doesn't feature on meta/opencritic.

Personally I'm enjoying the game thus far but I feel the campaign gets very weak during its mid-section, chapters 4 through 6 are especially mediocre, lacking the dialogue boss design and general appeal of the missions presented in the beta. Which is a shame, because the games campaign is incredibly short (8 missions, each clocking under 40 minutes each unless you take it quite slow).

I wish they took a different approach to the campaign, although it's fun and I can see myself replaying it, it would have been much more appealing if they took a leaf from Borderlands and made an open world campaign spanning across the Solar system. The campaign simply isn't ambitious at all and as such falls short in comparison to the innovative multiplayer component.

Karak

I'm fine with the concept of the unlock system, I just think that there should have been more heroes unlocked from the beginning. Especially with a character like Phoebe who's been at the forefront of the game's marketing for the past year or so.

I'd say two from each faction would have been best whilst leaving fifteen to unlock, which is still plenty of progress to work through, plus the upcoming five for people without the season pass.

Interesting as characters are the focus I was actually expecting 3 originally. Each to their own of course. Regardless, the fact PEOPLE want them and are unlocking them is a good thing.

Hey Hamburgler sorry I didn't see your messages!

Just played over watch for awhile and while its fun, how did people get these games confused?! So wildly different..

Yea I also see the game like monday night combat, and I liked that game. Can't play for a couple of days so sadly can't work on any more unlocks

Gator86

Lol why did you buy this
Between the impulse purchase and the split decision that the game sucks it just sounds like you don't really think things through very much.

Exact opposite actually. I rented it from GameFly as a stopgap until Uncharted and/or filler until Overwatch comes out. I'll put some time in it this weekend probably because I enjoyed the beta, but I didn't want to drop 60 on it until I got a sense of the community and tried Overwatch. I also didn't say the game sucks, I said it gave what would have been a bad first impression, which the game probably doesn't need right now given the general lack of interest. All my posts in the beta thread were actually really positive.

Top Bottom