• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

I don't know why I do the dumb things I do. I played the prologue and then 5 minutes of a single multiplayer match in this and I really don't feel like playing it anymore.

Those Steam player numbers are rough. Not even in the top 25 during its launch week.

I really wanted this to do well, I don't know what happened.

It may be the case that it needs more than 5 minutes of play to judge the game. Crazy I know.

Timeaisis

Alright, I have to give the multiplayer modes credit. They are pretty fun. And the campaign is alright if you have a decent team. The design is nothing that exciting, though.

I wish they gave you all the heroes upfront. I mean I get why they didn't, but still. Marquis is pretty cool.

Neiteio

So I saw a trailer for this on YouTube, and I liked how colorful it looked.

But is there anything special about the gameplay itself? Like how it controls and feels? The mechanics and how you interact with the world?

From the footage it just looks like a FPS with a lot of systems layered on top.

daedalius

But is there anything special about the gameplay itself? Like how it controls and feels? The mechanics and how you interact with the world?

I don't know of a game like it, it's not just a regular fps by any stretch

The most special thing of the game is not how it plays in the basics (controls, shooting) but how it plays in the context of the matches. It's all about the game modes, in other words. They are tug of war style, they have a proper duration (20-30 minutes), they have a focus on the objectives, teamplay, and even if they are full of action they have lots of things to consider in a broader strategic sense, like handling waves of creeps, going for mercenaries, or switching lanes, or taking crystals (gold), or what to buy with that (map deployables, gear for you, etc). Or what characters are your teammates and what are the enemy, as there are 25 different characters to play, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

It's a mix between an FPS and a MOBA. It's similar to Overwatch, except this game focuses more on the MOBA mechanics while Overwatch is an objective-based shooter.

Lucifon

Yea I also see the game like monday night combat, and I liked that game. Can't play for a couple of days so sadly can't work on any more unlocks

Yes!! That is a great comparison. I have a few buddies that loved MNC but there's no chance they'll grab this at full cost :( I'm the only one I know with the game but it's so damn fun once you click with a character and start to get the jist of how it works.

It's a mix between an FPS and a MOBA. It's similar to Overwatch, except this game focuses more on the MOBA mechanics while Overwatch is an objective-based shooter.

Personally I would avoid the Overwatch comparisons. The game's play completely different. Both first person character based shooters, but Battleborn is closer to a moba-lite (creeps, creep camps, defenses, pushing, long death time's late in the match, individual match leveling progression, gear). Whereas Overwatch plays very similar to TF2 from the modes to some of the heroes. Both are awesome.

daedalius

Adding JIP for the first couple minutes of the match when you start a person down would be nice.

Winning a man down is almost an impossibility

Will likely get for the campaign. Still waiting on a couple more reviews to come in. (Also Mainlining the hell out of Benedict, that Hunk of a burd)

Have just a little patience. The starting characters are all good in their own way. I've already unlocked four more characters basically without even trying, just playing the game. Game's only been out two days. Before you know it you'll have so many characters to choose from you won't know who's your favorite.

Oh, I've played most of the heroes in the beta. I unlocked all but maybe five of them in the beta.

Now that the game is out, I've unlocked close to half the cast, and I've got most of my favorites unlocked. I personally don't even mind most of the unlock requirements, but the fact that over half the cast is locked away is something I will never defend. I stand firm in my opinion that 15 characters should be unlocked from the start. Each character has a load of unlockables; from the skins, the hidden talents, all the way to the lore challenges, it's not like making half of the cast available from the start makes the game have much less replayability.

That's where I stand on the issue, such that it is.

Man, really enjoying the multiplayer now that it's starting to click, no clue how some can be so bad though haha.

Maybe I was just burnt out on the beta campaign mission, but I swear the game gets more fun after the first chapter

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a shame people keep mentioning they don't think a game like this is worth $60.

I'm impressed that they've developed not only 25 unique characters that all play a bit differently, but also given them 2.5 development trees, many unique effects that often share very little in common, and a plethora of unique animations all about (from taunts, to attack chains, to dash attacks, skills, etc).

I find the melee combat decently satisfying too. Shayne & Aurox leave explosive punches, Phoebe's Raiper stabs are fast, straight on, and feature the added detail of watching her raiper actually bend while attacking, and quick universal melee strikes all actually push back attackers, helping you set up escapes, push people out of rooms, into walls, or into AOE fields. And it actually does considerable damage at times too, which is nice.

It feels GREAT to get a team (even of Randoms) that understands their roles and works very well. It feels HORRIBLE to always get killed by Marquis that seem to be safe, have great run-away, and great protection from owls, ha.

I kinda love the fact I can HATE a character in one mode, and then see their purpose in another. During the beta, one of my friends thought Oscar Mike's Grenade was useless... I find it (with flame floor) to be one of his character-defining tools. I've seen lots of characters I think "bad" pulling off top spots in the games I play in... it's all quite interesting in this way. It's a good push not only to get more characters, but also to master and experiment with the ones you have.

Remmy2112

There is something immensely satisfying about running into a tunnel in pursuit of Miko, seeing him kill an allied Montana, then go around a corner and taunt only to come face to face with a clip full of Oscar Mike assault rifle headshots. He can only watch in horror as his arrogance puts him back at spawn. Even funnier is getting the revenge taunt off without a hitch.

Well, yes it does have a good number of systems layered on top, but I would argue that those individual extra systems come together to make a very unique experience as a whole and the underlying systems (FPS mechanics) aren't without an element of uniqueness to them either.

In particular, it's one of very few FPS where each of the characters play completely differently from one another while having a very high degree of depth to each characters utility and synergy with other characters. The 'layered systems' just support this experience adding an abundance of variance from one match to the next, without causing the game to feel uncontrolled or overly chaotic.

Ugh, the campaign is bad. I hate how you can fail a mission so easily if your team doesn't defend stuff properly. And it's not like you can just retry from the closest checkpoint, nope 30 minutes wasted. Not a fan.

Is there a faster way to unlock characters than doing the campaign?

My absolute biggest complaint with the game right now. There is no reason for it either. You have the life system, tie a busted objective to using one. Don't particularly understand that decision. Maybe more people could beat the Saboteur if you didn't have to play the entire f'ing mission over again to get back to the point you failed. Just dumb. Each time it happens it makes me want to stop playing altogether because of how disrespectful I feel it is to my time...and I really enjoy the game so it hurts to feel that way. Lol.

gossi

I've been watching the PC population stats, people appear to be abandoning ship already. Crazy they spent this much money on the game and marketing and so few people turned up, feel bad for the devs.

Klyka

Banned
I've been watching the PC population stats, people appear to be abandoning ship already. Crazy they spent this much money on the game and marketing and so few people turned up, feel bad for the devs.

Overwatch beta + holiday in many countries takes players away,definitely.

elyetis

Let's close the servers the game is dead guys.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I haven't completed the campaign (about half way through), but only failed one once in a full part of Co-Op + Randoms. (No failures alone or in splitscreen yet.)

I was kind of surprised we got booted back and away with from other, with no option to continue, and no mid-stage checkpoint that made things endlessly repeatable.

But at the same time, I was also kind of happy?

I don't feel any worse about no "full restart" checkpoints here, than I feel about losing a game in SMITE. They take about the same time (20~30 minutes) and the punishment is similar (No Victory; but you still get some consolation EXP and such.)

There's SO few games that feel like losing is actually punishing now-a-days, that I honestly appreciate failure feeling like it carries some weight.

deoee

Good thing, you're playing the meta game then :)

Keep up the good work and tell people the game is dead!

gossi

Good thing, you're playing the meta game then :)

Keep up the good work and tell people the game is dead!

Uh, guys. I wasn't saying the game is dead, or to pack up the servers as somebody mentioned above. I was just expressing that I feel sorry for the devs that two days after launch people are struggling to get games - that doesn't strike as the developers fault.

The numbers will rebound naturally at the weekend, methinks.

48 hours after release people are "abandoning ship"? Lol

In every game the peak amount of people playing is release day, after that tge average number is lower. Same happened with... I don't know, Fallout 4 for example.
It doesn't mean people are leaving the game, it means more people than normal started Steam, installed the game and played it the release day. Why?
Because it was the release day!

deoee

Uh, guys. I wasn't saying the game is dead, or to pack up the servers as somebody mentioned above. I was just expressing that I feel sorry for the devs that two days after launch people are struggling to get games - that doesn't strike as the developers fault.

The numbers will rebound naturally at the weekend, methinks.

Sorry I read it that way.
I'm just sooo tired about people yelling the game is dead or they won't buy it because it only has 10k people playing or whatever... meh. I should stop caring

gossi

The number of people playing should have no impact as long as you can find games, that is ultimately all that matters. People view gaming brands as team sports supporting, which is why we have constant console battles. I don't think we need to cheer on the most popular multi trillion dollar corporations: they don't care.

The concurrent numbers are... Not good, certainly on PC - it's below the launch of Blink, Evolve, and like twelve times off Battlefront. But - who gives a shit as long as the thing, you know, works? The issue I was highlighting there is people saying it isn't working.. Which makes me wonder the numbers across platforms. Maybe it's an Xbox thing? Maybe matchmaking needs optimising? Maybe it just has sales issues on PC?

Lucifon

The number of people playing should have no impact as long as you can find games, that is ultimately all that matters. People view gaming brands as team sports supporting, which is why we have constant console battles. I don't think we need to cheer on the most popular multi trillion dollar corporations: they don't care.

The concurrent numbers are... Not good, certainly on PC - it's below the launch of Blink, Evolve, and like twelve times off Battlefront. But - who gives a shit as long as the thing, you know, works? The issue I was highlighting there is people saying it isn't working.. Which makes me wonder the numbers across platforms. Maybe it's an Xbox thing? Maybe matchmaking needs optimising?

I've not yet run into Xbox matchmaking issues but it's hard to say.

I feel like if you enjoy the game it really gets its hooks into you. It's crazy addictive.

There is something immensely satisfying about running into a tunnel in pursuit of Miko, seeing him kill an allied Montana, then go around a corner and taunt only to come face to face with a clip full of Oscar Mike assault rifle headshots. He can only watch in horror as his arrogance puts him back at spawn. Even funnier is getting the revenge taunt off without a hitch.

Ha, happened to me last night against a Marquis on Overgrowth. It was 5 on 4 so we were screwed from the start. This Marquis kills someone in our spawn from up high where the health station can be built. I turn the corner and he's there taunting them. I run up and melee him twice trying to knock him down below to our last sentry but he doesn't go quite far enough so I unload on him. He starts running, only a sliver of health left, I let him get a little bit of separation then fire a napalm grenade and he dies.

That's one of my favorite things to do with Oscar Mike, when someone is running and has little life left, let them get some distance, fill them with hope that they have escaped,
then crush that hope with a napalm grenade.

24hr

Platform? I've had no issues on XB1, although not been on today yet. In fact last night was the fastest matchmaking I've had since launch.

XB1.
I got into a CO-OP story mission straight away but after that I've had nothing.

Menome

I have yet to see a match with Galilea where she isn't first in score by a huge margin...

...I think I was lucky to be fifth in score on my team last night with my first go on Galilea. Played bloody atrociously and felt bad about it as someone was livestreaming the match and trying to support me with Miko.

elyetis

...I think I was lucky to be fifth in score on my team last night with my first go on Galilea. Played bloody atrociously and felt bad about it as someone was livestreaming the match and trying to support me with Miko.
Oh I'm sure you are not alone, I don't have her unlocked so I wouldn't know how good or badly I would do with her. But win or loose, in my team or the opposite team I have yet to see the character not be first of her team, with sometime close to 2 times the score of here team.
fake edit, between my two post just did a game :
FDA54D85C9C3EEC918194084B2200ACFF3FB08A1
They lost, but still biggest score with big lead.

I'm not saying she is op thought, it might just be about people, myself included not really knowing how you are supposed to deal with her.

Platform? I've had no issues on XB1, although not been on today yet. In fact last night was the fastest matchmaking I've had since launch.

PS4, though it does seem to be a server issue. I got out after a while and tried to find a match again and it went much faster

U2NUMB

I really wish this game had some sort of battlelog online so I could go over stats from last night, maybe even unlock packs and set up load outs.

B_Bech

So I'm officially hooked. You folks on the XBone should add me and we can party up. BDBech. I'm loving support in this game, and yet I'm also digging melee. Super rare for that to be true for me in an FPS.

deoee

Galilea is SICK.

I don't really understand her ult (seems like an escape?) but the shield stun is so good

Lucifon

PS4, though it does seem to be a server issue. I got out after a while and tried to find a match again and it went much faster

Yeah it does seem to be some kind of matchmaking server issue from what I've read so far. Hopefully Gearbox can get on it pretty quick.

Wubbys

Anybody already beat heliophage? I dont want to play through the campaign but I want the character unlock for the last level. We can play on simple or you can leave after starting the mission if you want.

Please please please :)

Top Bottom