• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

arimanius

Played incursion most of the night. Such a fun mode when you have two equally skilled groups. Seems to be just the right blend of Fps and MOBA.

deoee

Well, he's pretty hard to use in general. The way the rocket launcher reloads means he either has to pause for awhile or take a DPS drop-off, so you have to manage your ammo properly.

I think they're asking whether or not they count as wins with X faction for unlocks. Do they?
I'm currently waiting for a decent +ReloadSpeed item to solve this issue ;S

Lost my first Incursion match last night. I was 5-0 until that point. The game is a lot of fun. I wish the characters leveled up just a tad bit faster (not in-game but overall level) since I don't get much time to play due to work.

Also tried the Saboteur level last night with randoms and got destroyed. That is a hard mission.

Well, he's pretty hard to use in general. The way the rocket launcher reloads means he either has to pause for awhile or take a DPS drop-off, so you have to manage your ammo properly.

He needs to reach level 4 or so to get going, it's true. He doesn't have a good, constant DPS but he has a good burst. And the game favors a bit more the burst characters imo, you to unload your damage in 2.5 seconds, before the enemy gets to retreat. Add to that his primary damage is ranged aoe, good against the creep waves.

Thabian

I'm not that concerned about the population on PC. This is a Gearbox game so it'll be popular on every Steam sale for the next several years. Since this game is legitimately fun to play the influx of new players every sale will keep the population afloat.

Steel

Banned
BTW if you are having trouble doing objective with randos, let me suggest that you use right stick to mark targets, both in pvp and pve. Generally people will pay attention to the targets with the arrow above their head and help you take them out faster.

He needs to reach level 4 or so to get going, it's true. He doesn't have a good, constant DPS but he has a good burst. And the game favors a bit more the burst characters imo, you to unload your damage in 2.5 seconds, before the enemy gets to retreat. Add to that his primary damage is ranged aoe, good against the creep waves.

Agreed, but it takes a bit of finesse to get his full potential.

Wubbys

Played incursion most of the night. Such a fun mode when you have two equally skilled groups. Seems to be just the right blend of Fps and MOBA.

Agreed had my first draw it was super intense. We lost from average score i guess thats the tie breaker.

elyetis

Benedict weak?? o_O Unless they have nerfed him since the open beat, I disagree.
I love his survivability, and he is good against creep, but I find him pretty weak yeah.
On some map you can end up stuck on the lower ground with enemies at the higher ground, making shots pretty hard to make ( or at their mercy if they have ranged and you try the no cover fly to shoot ). You have also have 0 CC so making the kill feel pretty hard, they just flee.

Now to be fair it's maybe because :
- It's maybe just the result of bad games
- I don't have many good item for the character ( except for one which give a good -%reload time )
- I played Rath and most character feel weak in comparison ?
- edit : Or I'm just bad at him

U2NUMB

Lost my first Incursion match last night. I was 5-0 until that point. The game is a lot of fun. I wish the characters leveled up just a tad bit faster (not in-game but overall level) since I don't get much time to play due to work.

Also tried the Saboteur level last night with randoms and got destroyed. That is a hard mission.

This is exactly how I feel with about every game that comes out these days. I wish I was not my age... when I was younger I could sink the right amount of hours into all these fun games that I need to but it certainly gets harder as you get older with these games.

This is exactly how I feel with about every game that comes out these days. I wish I was not my age... when I was younger I could sink the right amount of hours into all these fun games that I need to but it certainly gets harder as you get older with these games.

I used to game a lot...but with a 2 year old, work (with 2 hour total commute) there just isn't enough hours in the day lol.

The End

I used to game a lot...but with a 2 year old, work (with 2 hour total commute) there just isn't enough hours in the day lol.

Sleep less

Also, don't have any more kids

(I managed to game ~12 hours a week or so with one, with two it's dropped to like 5 not counting like, playing mobile/3ds on the can at work)

daedalius

PS4, though it does seem to be a server issue. I got out after a while and tried to find a match again and it went much faster

XB1.
I got into a CO-OP story mission straight away but after that I've had nothing.

Try quitting the game and restarting it, sometimes it just stops joining into matchmaking properly. I've had it do it a lot when resuming after the xbone has been put into rest mode.

Played a bunch of incursion again last night on xbone, got matches quickly even at almost 2am cst

Quesa

Thanks guys! Also, have any of you seen The last mission in rotation for co-op matches? Haven't seen it pop up once and it's the only one I haven't played.

Slathe

Haven't seen the last mission yet, no.

Does completing the missions in multiplayer unlock them in single player / private? I did a bunch of missions but haven't done the Void's Edge yet so I'm gated there, but I might solo it quick...just curious if my other multiplayer plays will count for unlocking subsequent missions when I finish that one.

Quesa

Oh, I see. You can only play the last mission in MM after beating all the other ones.

Also, I can confirm that the Saboteur is easier solo. Failed several times with people, aced on my first try alone.

Haven't seen the last mission yet, no.

Does completing the missions in multiplayer unlock them in single player / private? I did a bunch of missions but haven't done the Void's Edge yet so I'm gated there, but I might solo it quick...just curious if my other multiplayer plays will count for unlocking subsequent missions when I finish that one.
It does unlock them, yes.

As Quesa mentioned, last mission is restricted to its own matchmaking queue. It probably didn't need to be, though you could probably argue that there's vague story and gameplay reasons for that.

I'd rather get an Advanced difficulty playlist, personally.

Xevren

Yeah I see folks picking him all the time, but I dunno, both his ranged weapon and melee both seem pretty weak. I'm not really sure what his strategy is.

Hit and run, be really annoying. His air dash gives him some good mobility. Never really view him as a killer, seems to be a few like that.

Steel

Banned
Hit and run, be really annoying. His air dash gives him some good mobility. Never really view him as a killer, seems to be a few like that.

He's definitely more of a CC character with the flashbang. Throw one of those in there with a team backing you up and they can mop up while the enemy's wondering what the hell is going on.

Wubbys

Oh, I see. You can only play the last mission in MM after beating all the other ones.

Also, I can confirm that the Saboteur is easier solo. Failed several times with people, aced on my first try alone.
Wow i tried dodging into that level like 5 times in a row glad I saw this.

eagledare

The wife and I had a blast playing story mode splitscreen last night. Wish you could change the orientation to make better use of the screen real estate but it was fine.

Incursion mode is lots of fun but most randos get more hung up on attacking other players and tend to ignore the sentries they're supposed to be taking down.

So I unlocked Atticus and after reading the description of his abilities, I thought that his "Charged Hook" was like a projectile hook ala Roadhog on Overwatch. Much to my dismay that was not the case and... wow... what a completely horrible character. Just is not fun to play AT ALL.

24hr

I actually suck so bad at this game I feel sorry for my teammates. What's the best way to get the hang of the characters?

I think I went 2-5 my first game with Galilea but the next one I was 8-0 killing tons of minions and towers. She has no escape though, makes me wonder how other people who use her are so damn hard to kill.

I actually suck so bad at this game I feel sorry for my teammates. What's the best way to get the hang of the characters?
Play support like Miko. Focus on upgrading turrets, healing, and blocking enemies with your poison hat. Pick off stragglers who try to invade your base.
I think I went 2-5 my first game with Galilea but the next one I was 8-0 killing tons of minions and towers. She has no escape though, makes me wonder how other people who use her are so damn hard to kill.
She is hard to learn. You can't just go berserk on enemies until the right moment. I don't understand how her shadow works.

Flunkie

Banned
For example, when using Rath or right up in the thick of everything with lots of effects on screen, the framerate goes to shit. I had drops to the single digits on launch night which made it pretty hard to be competitive...

It was never that bad in beta.

wuth

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the character designs here. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised by Gearbox's team. A healthy amount of variation all around and the female side of the cast is surprisingly well represented.

Just look at the different complexions, body types, and personalities on display. Heck, I'm seeing a distinct lack of cheesecake in general. Why isn't anyone talking about this, especially compared to other games of its type?

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the character designs here. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised by Gearbox's team. A healthy amount of variation all around and the female side of the cast is surprisingly well represented.

Just look at the different complexions, body types, and personalities on display. Heck, I'm seeing a distinct lack of cheesecake in general. Why isn't anyone talking about this, especially compared to other games of its type?

I love their personalities, the dialogue/voice acting is pretty good and in combination with the bold cartoon art style they are pretty striking and unique.

elyetis

I'm probably asking something stupid but... I'm pretty sure there was a ranked matchmaking during the beta.. but I don't see it in the released game. Did they make all games ranked or.. but I can't even imagine it to be true even with all those completely unbalanced games I got this afternoon, they actually released the game without ranked ?

edit : In other news, Ambra is pretty fun, but her second skill is really hard to read, I never know if I actually hit.

Neverwas

i've avoided Oscar Mike since the beta, since he seemed like a "standard" shooter character, and I prefer more offbeat. Finally caved and gave him a go last night, and I'm pretty much in love now. Won every match I was in. And that Cylon visor is just icing on the cake. *swoon*

acksman

Right now seem to be playing this more than the O game. I think the mechanics and the Moba feel has a better play for me right now. That might change, but this game is good.

wuth

Right now seem to be playing this more than the O game. I think the mechanics and the Moba feel has a better play for me right now. That might change, but this game is good.

Yeah, even when I'm playing "that other game" I'm still thinking about my BB. It's got the crunchy mechanics that I crave, even though I love the polish in the competition. This game just needs a little time to find its groove and I think it'll find an audience... though the distinct lack of cheesecake that I just applauded it for might actually hurt it in this regard. I'm not sure how it'll do over seas.

Top Bottom