• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the character designs here. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised by Gearbox's team. A healthy amount of variation all around and the female side of the cast is surprisingly well represented.

Just look at the different complexions, body types, and personalities on display. Heck, I'm seeing a distinct lack of cheesecake in general. Why isn't anyone talking about this, especially compared to other games of its type?

Because most gamers want a bunch of super attractive characters in their games.

I agree with you entirely, though. Great to have a bunch of female characters who aren't obvious pandering. But I do wish we had some more looking deliberately ugly.

Karak

Because most gamers want a bunch of super attractive characters in their games.

I agree with you entirely, though. Great to have a bunch of female characters who aren't obvious pandering. But I do wish we had some more looking deliberately ugly.

I talked about this in my review. I really enjoy them. Though there is a bit of stilt when it comes to sticking to the bipedal form despite it being various alien races, what is there is interesting and surprises abound.

Just had 5 matches in a row where the team surrendered..........

I really wish they made the surrender vote easier to see. It's small and in the bottom corner, I have had numerous games where my team surrendered and I was so focused on the game I did not even notice a vote was going on.

Maybe even keep it the same, but give a big audio alert. But yeah, its very annoying when you're in a close match and Mr. 1 kill, 9 deaths and not playing objectives is constantly trying to surrender.

This game seems like it will be a bomba but man some of the characters are hard to use. I just use the woman with the demon on her back. How the balls do you use that character?

I would love someone to point me to a YouTube guide on how to play with them :)

But so far even though I'm beyond shit I am really really liking it.

Xevren

This game seems like it will be a bomba but man some of the characters are hard to use. I just use the woman with the demon on her back. How the balls do you use that character?

I would love someone to point me to a YouTube guide on how to play with them :)

But so far even though I'm beyond shit I am really really liking it.

I use her as an assassin, keep an eye and pick people off or disrupt and run. You can use stealth strike as a 3 second slow and get a melee chain in, spec fetch to stun to follow that up then melee them down which can kill a lot of the characters in the game. Don't forget your alt fire is a ranged boomerang.

Steel

Banned
I have always struggled as a tank. It helps if your team has a healer who is on the ball but if not you are the biggest target on the team.

I can manage with ISIC since he has a shield he can put up when shit gets hairy and a teleport dash, but the big guys like Toby and Montana... No.

I use her as an assassin, keep an eye and pick people off or disrupt and run. You can use stealth strike as a 3 second slow and get a melee chain in, spec fetch to stun to follow that up then melee them down which can kill a lot of the characters in the game. Don't forget your alt fire is a ranged boomerang.

I might have to try her out in single player.

Any good streamers streaming this game?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always get the Extra HP perk for Montana. He's a good wall, and his dash makes it easy for him to run so he can get back health. Or ram someone into a wall, for a long-ish stuff. I wish he had a more interesting secondary attack (It just spins the gattling), but choosing between fire or ice bullets feels good.

Shayne and Aurox? For me, it's all about the tick damage while invisible as the first ability choice. Her secondary attack is a boomerang blade throw, that lets her pick at minions and players at a distance. Another Fav level for me is the one that lets the booomerblade bounce between enemies when thrown. Feels like it helps contribute to wave clearing substantially.

If you hand behind a tank or wave, use the 2nd ability (The Aurox pull) to grab an overaggressive person, and pull them in near your group. It will scare them quite a lot, and possibly secure a kill.

She seems to have good run speed, fairly decent defense. Just try to be patient and gain some levels before you start going totally crazy with her. She's not as frail as I thought she'd be, and Explosion-punching people just feels great overall.

Also, keep in mind that your default melee attack (the one shared by all characters)pushes people back a bit. So when you're invisible near a person, start punching them into a corner, and then use your primary attack to do more damage once they're in a hard to escape corner.

Tevren

Having a tough go of it so far. Mainly play as a healer, did fine in the beta, but have yet to win a single public story. People keep picking Saboteur, getting to the last wave, then it dies in what feels like seconds. This has been the case with 4 different parties now.

How does it run on PS4 deciding between PS4 and PC and CO-OP and mostly controller based is my main sway but wanna know how it runs on PS4.

arimanius

Tried out some more meltdown and I just hate that mode. If this game didn't have incursion which is an absolute blast there would be no reason to play.

So is incursion the go to mode? Definitely the MNC feel in that mode. I thought control was alright, but idk. Meltdown seems terrible since I had no idea what was going on in that mode. Wish there was a better introduction in game on exactly what each mode was.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Incursion has been the easiest mode to be "cheesed" in for me. It also feels like the most obvious one for people to balloon in levels in. That said, I also feel like it's the mode most open to a real comeback. If you kill off the enemies, you can push, destroy their sentry, and then buy up THEIR guns, which makes the returning counter push hard, but not impossible.

Meltdown I like, as it feels most like Monday Night Combat. It's not about killskillskills, it's about shepherd'n the herd to the slaughter. It allows for a nice change of progression as time goes on, and I like the stronger emphasis on how to use your monetary resources.

Money is still important in Incursion, but it feels less strategy, and more a reliance on chokepoints and straight PVP.

Capture points I'm a bit weird on. I do like it enough, but the money / strategy elements are reduced a bit more, and it's more a straight "whomever keeps the 2 points longest... wins!" mode. I feel like it's harder to have a real comeback, and the money / farming camps strategy just feels less pronounced.

Pingoreous

I started Battleborn Tap today, have three Battleborn and am at Wave 24 but my rank hasn't increased at all yet (to unlock Montana). Is that normal?

So is incursion the go to mode? Definitely the MNC feel in that mode. I thought control was alright, but idk. Meltdown seems terrible since I had no idea what was going on in that mode. Wish there was a better introduction in game on exactly what each mode was.

My go to mode us Meltdown. Git good and all that.

Installed and started it this evening. Almost ran late for a movie because the first main story mission kept going on and on, as did its final boss.

I've only played the prologue and the first mission so far. No multiplayer. And so far, I find it to be....bland.

It's a bit like Borderlands, except different and not as good. But that's early. It will likely end up going back as a satisfaction return though.

Xevren

Had the worst day, just shitty teams all day. On the plus side I got all of Boulder's lore all done already!

zedge

Ugh.. as per. Most matches are one sided shit shows. Of course I am always on the receiving end. Surrendered the last 3 of 4 matches..

No wonder I lose interest in multiplayer games so quickly these days. :/

And playing 40 min to fail a coop mission and have the game end sucks..

Changing my mind on how I feel about this.

Just had a clearly premade team against me and some scrub ass random players. They of course went Miko and Galilea with the Miko constantly following Galilea around the entire match. Rath and Galilea slaughtered my teammates, they all had 2-3 kills and nearly 20 deaths a piece. Jesus. I did almost 200k damage with OM but Miko's heals wiped out most of that. They'd switch up who was in front taking damage and the other would run back for heals. Just seems like such an unstoppable duo because they are ridiculously lethal and tanky even at fucking stage one.

She needs a nerf on almost all her abilities. Shield should block less. Stun with the shield is easy peazy. Her silencing your abilities is overkill as fuck. So bizarre that they nerfed people like Ghalt and that sun ball lady but left her alone.

She needs a nerf on almost all her abilities. Shield should block less. Stun with the shield is easy peazy. Her silencing your abilities is overkill as fuck. So bizarre that they nerfed people like Ghalt and that sun ball lady but left her alone.

She was nerfed during the beta. But I agree she needs another touch here and there, in special her stun is too long.

Lucifon

Installed and started it this evening. Almost ran late for a movie because the first main story mission kept going on and on, as did its final boss.

I've only played the prologue and the first mission so far. No multiplayer. And so far, I find it to be....bland.

It's a bit like Borderlands, except different and not as good. But that's early. It will likely end up going back as a satisfaction return though.

Please don't judge the game on the prologue and a still mission! Try the multiplayer, it's what the game was designed around. Do some cool. This isn't a single player game and that prologue does nothing but leave a bad first impression.

daedalius

Had the worst day, just shitty teams all day. On the plus side I got all of Boulder's lore all done already!

Played a couple late tonight, won them both and had random teammates actually communicating.... Madness!

Phoebe is great, although I'm about to unlock el dragon, so I'm definitely gonna try him out.

Please don't judge the game on the prologue and a still mission! Try the multiplayer, it's what the game was designed around. Do some cool. This isn't a single player game and that prologue does nothing but leave a bad first impression.

Don't worry. I'm not done with it. I plan to play it tomorrow and over the weekend. I don't think it's something I will like enough to keep, but I plan to beat it and play multiplayer.

Those were early impressions.

Just got this. Played the beta before and after playing overwatch for a day I enjoyed the depth and longer matches of battleborn. So took the dip. I'll probably be playing much of today but it's early and time for bed.

Add me on PSN if you want to play. Let me know if your from GAF.

PSN: james_b0ndjr

Gothos

One thing I find disappointing are "skins". Well, more like colors than actual skins. Wish they were less of them (maybe max 2 per hero?) but they should be an actual different look and not just some other color :(

Orendi isn't exactly beautiful :p
I actually forgot she was female, proving your point completely. :D

My feeling after more matches is the game really needs to give more feedback to players on what exactly is going on. I don't think it's as overwhelming an experience as some critics claim, but certain important things like your sentry getting sniped could use more player notice.

I suppose it will get better as players become more experienced.

koji

Took quite some time for the game to click for me but I'm really digging it. Some stability issues though, Steam disconnecting... Really annoying. :-(

Doubt it's Steam, lots of users complaining about it.

pronk420

I really enjoyed the beta, I never had any issues with one sided matches. Can't wait to play this at the weekend.

Is it worth playing the 'missions' rather than the MOBA mode? I only played the moba in the beta.

Drewfonse

Is it possible to play the campaign missions "in order" through matchmaking, or is it always 2 maps that you vote on? I guess you just have to keep track of which missions you haven't beaten and vote for them when they come up.

Top Bottom