• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Matty8787

I preffered this to overwatch by far.

I am torn what platform to play on though...

I have PC X1 and PS4 and I am in the UK. What will the majority be on?

I'm maybe incorrect here, but I feel with Steam sales and just a general longer tail market Battleborn is probably going to prosper longest on PC. It's also significantly better than the console releases, which apparently have some major technical issues.

FWIW I have no problems finding matches quickly on PC in any mode, though this is on US servers.

deoee

I preffered this to overwatch by far.

I am torn what platform to play on though...

I have PC X1 and PS4 and I am in the UK. What will the majority be on?

If you have no friends to play with I'd just get the PC version because
Mouse + Keyboard
FPS
faster updates (?)

24hr

I simply just can't get into this game. I still don't have a clue what I should be actually doing. Do you stick with your team mates or go your own thing?

deoee

Does attackpower and attackspeed also apply to healing abilities making them tick faster and heal stronger?
I simply just can't get into this game. I still don't have a clue what I should be actually doing. Do you stick with your team mates or go your own thing?

Depends on your character.

As a healer or tank you obviously want to stay with your team.
When you're someone like Phoebe or Shayne & Aurox you can easily roam and flank or pick off single enemies behind the lines.
Benedict and Orendi are excellent wave pushers - they have AOE and destroy minions very fast so your minions can get further.
I feel like Isic can sololane if you're playing Meltdown.

Generally speaking - if you're new to the game stick to your tank IMO.
And the first rule is: Find a character that suits you. I played Thorn in the beta and absolutely HATED it. I was about to uninstall. Then I changed to Orendi and holy crap, I'm in love.

In what mode you need help?

The most important thing is to help killing enemy waves of creeps (the npc robots) and help your minions (in Meltdown, help them reach the end point of their path, in Incursion, to attack with them the enemy big spider robot). Notice what line they follow and what's the objective.
When there are no enemy robots to kill, then you can hostigate enemy players, and go collect shards. With shards, you buy your gear and buy deployables in the map.

A very basic list of hints:

-The most important point: you shouldn't find yourself without anything to do: you should always killing enemy creeps/bots, and if the last wave is already eliminated, you should be harassing the enemy players, or taking crystals, or buying deployables.
-Speaking of buying shit, both in Incursion and in Meltdown you can buy "fat bots" (don't remember the real name), and in Incursion you can recruit mercenaries too, defeating them before. These are very tough creeps and can help you advance against the enemy, giving you the edge. In special they are very important in Incursion. Don't expect to win if you are not hiring them constantly in that mode.
-Don't over focus on killing enemy players, this is one of these games where you can win over the enemy team with a worse k/d ratio than them, because you take care of the objectives and they didn't.
-Press b key (or whatever button on controller) to back to base and heal, like in Lol/Smite. In your way back remember to make a little detour to take crystals.
-Every character has a melee button, MMB on pc. This is useful, ironically, for the ranged characters as it has a knockback effect. So if a enemy assassin is attacking your ass, slap them once and then run away.
-Buying and upgrading deployables not only give you an immediate advantage on the field, they also give you a bit of xp, so it can be a good idea to focus on them instead saving up for an expensive gear piece.
-The big robot in each wave gives an overshield buff to every ally in the area in set places (or set times? not sure). Stay close and gain the buff, then go ham at the enemy while you have that edge.

------

Also, Caldarius is legit. He is fast, so buy a pair of cheap move speed upgrades for him and he is super fast helping in the lane and then rotating to the other lane or going for shards. Once he has the bleed effect and the triple grenade, he can deal a decent amount of damage to the waves.

24hr

In what mode you need help?

The most important thing is to help killing enemy waves of creeps (the npc robots) and help your minions (in Meltdown, help them reach the end point of their path, in Incursion, to attack with them the enemy big spider robot). Notice what line they follow and what's the objective.
When there are no enemy robots to kill, then you can hostigate enemy players, and go collect shards. With shards, you buy your gear and buy deployables in the map.

A very basic list of hints:

-The most important point: you shouldn't find yourself without anything to do: you should always killing enemy creeps/bots, and if the last wave is already eliminated, you should be harassing the enemy players, or taking crystals, or buying deployables.
-Speaking of buying shit, both in Incursion and in Meltdown you can buy "fat bots" (don't remember the real name), and in Incursion you can recruit mercenaries too, defeating them before. These are very tough creeps and can help you advance against the enemy, giving you the edge. In special they are very important in Incursion. Don't expect to win if you are not hiring them constantly in that mode.
-Don't over focus on killing enemy players, this is one of these games where you can win over the enemy team with a worse k/d ratio than them, because you take care of the objectives and they didn't.
-Press b key (or whatever button on controller) to back to base and heal, like in Lol/Smite. In your way back remember to make a little detour to take crystals.
-Every character has a melee button, MMB on pc. This is useful, ironically, for the ranged characters as it has a knockback effect. So if a enemy assassin is attacking your ass, slap them once and then run away.
-Buying and upgrading deployables not only give you an immediate advantage on the field, they also give you a bit of xp, so it can be a good idea to focus on them instead saving up for an expensive gear piece.
-The big robot in each wave gives an overshield buff to every ally in the area in set places (or set times? not sure). Stay close and gain the buff, then go ham at the enemy while you have that edge.

------

Also, Caldarius is legit. He is fast, so buy a pair of cheap move speed upgrades for him and he is super fast helping in the lane and then rotating to the other lane or going for shards. Once he has the bleed effect and the triple grenade, he can deal a decent amount of damage to the waves.

Does attackpower and attackspeed also apply to healing abilities making them tick faster and heal stronger?

Depends on your character.

As a healer or tank you obviously want to stay with your team.
When you're someone like Phoebe or Shayne & Aurox you can easily roam and flank or pick off single enemies behind the lines.
Benedict and Orendi are excellent wave pushers - they have AOE and destroy minions very fast so your minions can get further.
I feel like Isic can sololane if you're playing Meltdown.

Generally speaking - if you're new to the game stick to your tank IMO.
And the first rule is: Find a character that suits you. I played Thorn in the beta and absolutely HATED it. I was about to uninstall. Then I changed to Orendi and holy crap, I'm in love.
I'm playing as Orendi and during story mode I think 'she'? Is awesome. But when it comes to PVP I'm unsure how to progress with her. I guess I just need to keep playing and learn from other players!

deoee

I'm playing as Orendi and during story mode I think 'she'? Is awesome. But when it comes to PVP I'm unsure how to progress with her. I guess I just need to keep playing and learn from other players!

"She" is correct
VA is Ashly Burch
:D

She's very hectic with her skills imo.

KdylanR92

I wanna get this on PC but playing against mouse and keyboard with a controller doesn't seem fun.

edit: on Xbox1 for now AcediaXSuperbia

Well, with Orendi you have a big damage dealer, with the little problem that his shadowfire pillar needs time to fire, so people can move away. You just have to learn how to predict their movement. If they are firing and moving backwards put the pillar just behind them, if they are moving to attack you put it two steps in front of her.

This game looks like a lot of fun, however I am concerned it's going to die off rather quickly. I guess PC will be the most populated for this, may bite on that.

Trojan

This game looks like a lot of fun, however I am concerned it's going to die off rather quickly. I guess PC will be the most populated for this, may bite on that.

I'm in the same boat. I want to give it a good but have a concern about how big a community it might have long term. I'm surprised the OT will be only 20 pages after almost a week.

If anyone has it on PS4 feel free to add me. It's a lot of fun but yeah this does have bomba written all over it. I think the consoles will have people playing it for a while PC gaming will be fine but I think it will die out faster because of the f2p options being much more popular there

demonkaze

I just started playing this game and i'm in the command menu looking at the battleborn and I was wondering if there is an explanation somewhere of the various class types? I understand healer, tank and all that but I'm looking for an explanation of the types such as Territorial, pusher, brawler and all of that (some are obvious but i'd still like an explanation in terms of context of the game).

I just started playing this game and i'm in the command menu looking at the battleborn and I was wondering if there is an explanation somewhere of the various class types? I understand healer, tank and all that but I'm looking for an explanation of the types such as Territorial, pusher, brawler and all of that (some are obvious but i'd still like an explanation in terms of context of the game).
I was just looking for the same thing. It would have been nice if they included glossary for these terms as there will likely be a lot of people playing this that have never played a MOBA style game before.

There seems to be a decent amount of people playing this on Xbox 1. I've had no issues finding teams for story missions (which surprised me a little) or PVP.

If anyone wants to team up on XB1 my tag is pedro the lion.

The Heliophage is a cool level, with great design, a sense of urgency and full of loot, pity that the people who played with me didn't know to avoid the incoming fire INDICATED BY THE RED CIRCLES ON THE GROUND.

/grumble grumble.

It takes a while, but you can solo Heliophage Advanced for Deande without much trouble. I did it first try with Oscar Mike. Only real trick is you need to rush through most of the level because of the timer. And during the boss fight it's a good idea to position yourself so when you're knocked back you'll hit a wall instead of the void -- not a lot of lives to throw away when solo!

(She's so worth it, too.)

Steel

Banned

Just a hint on top of all the others: Mark targets for your teamates. If you're using a controller push down on the right stick. More often than not, even randos will know what you're getting at and gank your target.

It takes a while, but you can solo Heliophage Advanced for Deande without much trouble. I did it first try with Oscar Mike. Only real trick is you need to rush through most of the level because of the timer. And during the boss fight it's a good idea to position yourself so when you're knocked back you'll hit a wall instead of the void -- not a lot of lives to throw away when solo!

(She's so worth it, too.)

Who is best to solo the campaign?

What's your GT?

El Boxy Brown

Who is best to solo the campaign?

Possibly ISIC, but it's pretty hard to solo in some missions, sometimes you have to defend a point (game over if the objective loses all the hit points) while also attacking the reinforcement points of the enemy, or the waves won't stop.

I beat The Heliophage, with Ambra + Thorn.

hollomat

Banned
I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

At first I was a bit annoyed that so many heroes were locked, but it makes sense. Giving them to you all at once would be a bit overwhelming. This way it allows you to slowly learn the heroes.

Oscar Mike is my favorite so far. Love the stealth. Makes it easy to sneak away when you're about to die.

Possibly ISIC, but it's pretty hard to solo in some missions, sometimes you have to defend a point (game over if the objective loses all the hit points) while also attacking the reinforcement points of the enemy, or the waves won't stop.

I beat The Heliophage, with Ambra + Thorn.

That's one thing I don't like/don't want to hear.

If a game ALLOWS single player, it should be beatable single player without terrible frustration. Gearbox isn't good at making single player/beatable games in this respect, because they also made Borderlands 2 frustrating solo. I beat it, but enemies would overwhelm you.

It's bad design.

At the end of the day, I guess I'll have to join in with others.

U2NUMB

Well I am committed.. traded in my physical copy of my X1 game and bought the digital deluxe version. Add me if your on X1.

That's one thing I don't like/don't want to hear.

If a game ALLOWS single player, it should be beatable single player without terrible frustration. Gearbox isn't good at making single player/beatable games in this respect, because they also made Borderlands 2 frustrating solo. I beat it, but enemies would overwhelm you.

It's bad design.

At the end of the day, I guess I'll have to join in with others.

Would it really better if they didn't give you the option of playing the coop missions (which that's what they are really) alone if you really want? I don't think so.

Borderlands 2 was fine, imo.

DarkKyo

Man, I am having an absolute blast playing as Reyna. Once you get her playstyle down she is so useful and pretty deadly.

Steel

Banned
Man, I am having an absolute blast playing as Reyna. Once you get her playstyle down she is so useful and pretty deadly.

Yeah, I like her too, my only problem with her is that the moment your teamates have ADD and leave you by yourself to defend a lane in meltdown, you're fucked.

DarkKyo

Yeah, I like her too, my only problem with her is that the moment your teamates have ADD and leave you by yourself to defend a lane in meltdown, you're fucked.

Haha that is true, just had a game where my team was letting me lead the charge and it didn't really work out. However her debuff on an enemy + damage bonuses from Helix choices make homing pulse shots super effective by level 8-9 or so. It gets easier to scare people away from a 1 on 1 against Reyna.

Would it really better if they didn't give you the option of playing the coop missions (which that's what they are really) alone if you really want? I don't think so.

Borderlands 2 was fine, imo.

I'm saying that they shouldn't build the difficulty around a co-op emphasis. The game shouldn't punish you for playing solo.

Borderlands 2 was definitely beatable, but it punished solo players too.

Sapientas

Anyone on PS4 willing to eventually play the story missions in Advanced and/or Hardcore mode? Looks like you can't do them with randoms.
PSN: ArcheyShiggy

Gonna' try to hammer out most of the campaign, and try some multiplayer, tonight. Gotta' return it by Monday.

Unless I end up loving it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom