• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Xevren

Only one lore challenge left for Benedict, have to play with 3 other peacekeepers for 5 games. Ended up just using an arcade stick for the glide challenge and having some buttons held down in story mode.

DarkKyo

The UI is a bit busy until you get used to it. The one thing I really don't like though is the main font, the one that displays all the white text in the middle of the screen. Any chance there is a way to change it in the files?

This is so wrong it isn't funny. You do understand that you can use Calderius's double jump in any direction, right? And that it can be used as a strafe? It's near impossible to get hit in a one on one duel if played right. He is a jack of all trades, and can melee effectively or take a build focused on ranged. He's extremely adaptable, which is great in a game like this. Flashbang OWNS bots when you add bleed damage and the triple shot augment. It charges very fast, too. Just because you prefer other characters doesn't mean he's bad. Calderius is an advanced character for a reason.

How is it near impossible to get hit? Even if your straffing most attacks at hitscans therefore dependent on your opponents accuracy. You're still going to get hit unless your opponent is terrible.

On consoles you also can't remap the controls (easily) and jump is stuck on X, so that's petty awful.

It also doesn't go in any direction, only moving you significantly forward with the lateral thrusters. That's not 'in any direction'. You only get significant multi-directional mobility with a certain upgrade, prior to that it's dominantly horizontal, but that doesn't make you unhitabble at all. Otherwise no one would be hittable on games like Halo. He's just harder to hit, but that's also mediated by his low HP, so he can get burst down pretty quickly, but he also has a much larger hitbox than when compared to characters like Thorn or even Orendi, so he's not as hard to hit as some others, in some respect.

Either way, I don't doubt his survivability. I just don't think he has that much impact on a lane. I disagree with the idea that his flash bang is devastating to bots. It does not wipe a wave and you still have to shoot them all substantially even after bleed. That's not especially substancial when compared to Orendi, Thorn, or Oscar Mike who can clear the wave with a single AoE, not to mention that characters like Thorn has her AoE and a high-damaging secondary spell. If you use Caldarius' blinding all you have is a pretty janky gettaway move left.

I also don't prefer other characters. I actually prefer Caldarius, but I think he is bad. I just feel as though I can get more done with other characters. Yes I can survive forever, collect all the shards in the world, and be a general nuisance, but I don't feel all that is any where near as substancial as the impact that more damaging, more reliable characters like Thorn, Oscar and Benedict.

I'm open to being wrong though. I'd love to see Caldarius played at a high level of play, though honestly I don't think this game will ever achieve that. Being honest, I think this games dead on arrival, really. Though I'm going to try my best to have fun while it lasts.

Xevren

So with Benedict you can reload cancel his shooting animation, and cancel the reload animation by shooting. If you get your reload speed and attack speed up it's kind of insane because it will shoot far faster than normal, it's really insane. Just have to get used to the rhythm of cancelling everything but once you get the hang of it he becomes incredibly more scary.

People worried the fact most character start locked shouldn't be, it isn't a grind to unlock them.

In 19 hours I unlocked everyone except Phoebe, Toby and Ghalt. And Phoebe and Toby unlock challenges are already half done, I will do it in two more matches, in other words, in 20 hours you can unlock everyone, except Ghalt.
That one, I agree is going to be a bit more of a grind to unlock him.

People worried the fact most character start locked shouldn't be, it isn't a grind to unlock them.

In 19 hours I unlocked everyone except Phoebe, Toby and Ghalt. And Phoebe and Toby unlock challenges are already half done, I will do it in two more matches, in other words, in 20 hours you can unlock everyone, except Ghalt.

It does take a long time though. 19 hours is a long time for most people. The fact you can't see any sort of progression towards the characters unlocking is a frustration for me. But I love the damn game

If 20 hours if too much or not is subjective, of course. Some people will say it isn't enough.

The fact you can't see any sort of progression towards the characters unlocking is a frustration for me. But I love the damn game

But... you can. You can see your profile level (which is one of the ways to unlock a character) and you can see your progress in the second method going to Career->Challenges>Characters>Unlocks.

It's kind of hidden, true.

Are you having trouble getting kills?

Steel

Banned
It does take a long time though. 19 hours is a long time for most people. The fact you can't see any sort of progression towards the characters unlocking is a frustration for me. But I love the damn game

Actually you can check the progress of unlocks in the challenge screen under career. There's a subsection for character challenges.

I've got everyone that can be had from PVP challenges, the only ones I haven't unlocked are the story missions ones as I generally wait for my group to be on for those. Ten hours.

Matchmaking is starting to bother me, anybody want to party up and do a campaign mission or two? Trying to do the renegade (3rd mission) and maybe go from there?

Edit: playing on PS4

Menome

Finally got 'The Saboteur' done by going in solo with Orendi. I'll wait until it's been rebalanced before trying for the Silver or Advanced attempts.

Also got The Heliophage done with a pick-up team in a couple of attempts. The first group hung around to fight the nearly endless waves of enemies on the route to the first Shard, so we ended up running out of lives and time. Second group was much better and despite some hair-raising moments of four team-mates needing to be revived, we blasted through it.

Just need to arrange going through on Advanced now to get Deande.

Finally got 'The Saboteur' done by going in solo with Orendi. I'll wait until it's been rebalanced before trying for the Silver or Advanced attempts.

Also got The Heliophage done with a pick-up team in a couple of attempts. The first group hung around to fight the nearly endless waves of enemies on the route to the first Shard, so we ended up running out of lives and time. Second group was much better and despite some hair-raising moments of four team-mates needing to be revived, we blasted through it.

Just need to arrange going through on Advanced now to get Deande.
In advance the boss summons 6 bosses to fight you instead of 3 and the shielded Thrall swarm you.

What is up with matchmaking in multi? Teams always seem incredibly one-sided.
That's typically the outcome of MOBAs when your playing with randoms. When your in a party that is communicating and you face off against another party, that's where you get matches that go back and forth.

The fact that you can't change characters during matches sucks.

They should really have a solo queue and a group queue.
I can't think of any other MOBA that allowed you to change your character. Every character in Battleborn is somewhat balanced to handle themselves. Arguably some characters benefit with a good team than others.
Wanting some opinions:

How does Battleborn stack up to Overwatch?
There not the same game.

deoee

Some dev responses to fixes etc:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battleborn/comments/4i8y4e/current_community_requested_improvements/d2w7c0y

pELoUrF.png
Sadly we lost, just couldn't make the last push 4v5

Wanting some opinions:

If you like slower ttk,depth, coop, sp campaign and mobas get Battleborn
If you like fast ttk,fast paced, tf2-like and somewhat "static" action get Overwatch

Xevren

The fact that you can't change characters during matches sucks.

They should really have a solo queue and a group queue.

Agree about the queue's, it's something they want to implement at least so there's hope. Been going solo most of the weekend and it's been pretty rough.

I've unlocked two from pvp. Reyna and Shane. I unlocked Isaac from one of the story missions. Looking forward to unlocking more.

I hope they patch the matchmaking for PS4 takes way too fucking long lol.

Any euro gafers wanna play on ps4. I am sirshizznit on psn

Gonna' play more tonight. I want to beat The Saboteur, and be able to say that I finished the game, but I doubt I will get to. It's too cheap.

Unlocked ISIC. He is just as fun as I remember him from the beta.

This fucking grind to level up command is taking forever. And I am to the point now where even if I have a great game with Oscar Mike, leading my team in minions killed, objectives, kills, damage dealt, etc, my character rank moves up a little smidge. Feels like once you hit level 18 or so command you really have to play story missions to make any real progress.

Special C

Wanting some opinions:

As many have stated, the games are very different. But it's ok to compare them because they are both competative shooters and if you're like me you don't have the time to sink into two.

My overall thought is that Battleborn is much more dynamic and interesting but Overwatch is just an amazingly fluid and polished experience. Im probably going to end up staying with overwatch.

Theye are both great games and both worth getting if you have the time to play them both.

Turns out I did The Saboteur with randoms last night. Didn't even realise it was super hard, although last defense was tough.

Gotta say the scope and design of the story missions is a step above what I expected.

Turns out I did The Saboteur with randoms last night. Didn't even realise it was super hard, although last defense was tough.

Gotta say the scope and design of the story missions is a step above what I expected.

Really? I find them to be very repetitive and kind of dull.

They have their moments, but there's no originality to be found.

I didn't say I found them exhilarating, I said they were better than expected. They look nice, there is some great scenery and combat flow too. That said, they're a sideshow to MP and I won't be bothering with SP DLC.

Wanting some opinions:

Completely different games. Overwatch is Team Fortress 2, Battleborn is closer to an FPS Awesomenauts.

I personally vastly prefer the latter, but a ton of people feel the opposite.

Battleborn is definitely a much larger game in terms of content, though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying this a lot both the story missions and the MP.

Overwatch is more polished, but I'm having more fun with this. Just not enough content in Overwatch to keep me interested right now.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Kleese works really well on the saboteur, his Energy Rifts are very effective at keeping melee enemies away from nova.

Problem is you need to complete every mission with a silver to bloody unlock Kleese.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I'm pretty glad it's not over-bloated for no reason. And I appreciate the art and animation that's a part of it, too. It might clash in styles a bit... but geeze, that's much more interesting than walking voice over talky hallways or games that have no animations to speak of.

I like it as a diversion from the Multi. The time-to-kill is VASTLY different, surely, but it's nice to have a playground to build in different ways without messing up everyone else in a team match.

Game is pretty fun, my biggest complaint at the moment is everything just takes sooo long. Matches are long, missions are long, getting into them takes a long time.

Sapientas

Galilea seems to be the definitive pub stomper. So easy to dominate entire matches with her. Most new players can't to anything against her, especially when coupled with Miko or Reyna.

Unlocked ISIC. He is just as fun as I remember him from the beta.

This fucking grind to level up command is taking forever. And I am to the point now where even if I have a great game with Oscar Mike, leading my team in minions killed, objectives, kills, damage dealt, etc, my character rank moves up a little smidge. Feels like once you hit level 18 or so command you really have to play story missions to make any real progress.

After level 5 or so you need 1000xp every level. It doesn't change at least up to 40.

So, let me get this straight? People take their own leveled up characters online. So it's tough to find balance?

No, your characters don't level up at all across matches. Not in respect to their stats anyway (there are some titles and loot packs that you can unlock by ranking up your character, but nothing with a gameplay impact).

If people are talking about issues in regards to matching against people much higher level, it's just the fact that they don't like playing against people with more experience.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm glad that I managed to finish story mode today before they decide to patch Mission 7. I know it was brutal hard but I would like to beat the game at it's original difficulty. So we did, and that was pretty hard. It took several tries to manage to learn how to set up the strategies to handle the situation there, and we had to change up our characters as well so we went with Montana, Reyna, Isic and Miko.

I'm glad that I managed to finish story mode today before they decide to patch Mission 7. I know it was brutal hard but I would like to beat the game at it's original difficulty. So we did, and that was pretty hard. It took several tries to manage to learn how to set up the strategies to handle the situation there, and we had to change up our characters as well so we went with Montana, Reyna, Isic and Miko.
I don't think it was that hard. Just body blocking the entrance to Nova's platform solves 90% of the problem.

SZips

I love this game. Really, I do. But I'm so tired of the seemingly imbalanced matchmaking system. When the lowest level on the other team is higher than the highest level on the team I'm on, I already know what the outcome is going to be (quick defeat or a surrender vote).

I stick through them all because what else am I going to do?

The last one tonight was a group of five randoms (myself included) matched up against an entire team of five, most of which were double or triple our levels, including a level 48. No. I was done.

I can deal with imbalanced characters but I just don't like what feels like near broken matchmaking in this game. Going against people that have seemingly done nothing but play the game 24/7 since launch that have access to characters many of us have no access to, including some of the aforementioned broken or "imbalanced" characters, and more opportunities for higher level power-up loot is not fun. And I see the post above saying how people shouldn't complain about higher levels because higher levels = loot with no actual gameplay impact. That's bullshit. So please, spare that nonsense.

Higher rarity loot is rarely worth the cost. I can win perfectly with white level gear.
As much, it's true that higher level players have a slight advantage over low level players because they have more loot which gives them an edge in possible loot combinations, as they can make combos better suited for a character.

But I think in two or three weeks everyone should have enough variety of loot, so it isn't a very important point. Someone who has played 2 hours won't have as much loot as someone who has played 20 hours, but once you have played 20 hours you should have enough loot for a few nice combos.

And right now the best character is Galiliea, which can be unlocked reaching level 12. That's not grind, you reach that level with ~16 hours.

Koeta

I don't care what the haters say Randy is a cool guy in my book, just gotta forget about that Alien game lol.

on topic though, still loving Battleborn! finished the campaign last night, unlocked some more crazy characters all is good with the world.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe it's like SMITE, where they say the matchmaking will put you up against people vastly better than you, if you've been curb stomping people for too many games in a row?

I... never have blamed "matchmaking" for any or my losses in a game. I fight whomever is available online. My understanding was always "at first, it tries to match with people close to your level. After that, it widens the range, because there are not enough people online near that, and it's more important you PLAY, rather than who you play."

Is this how it is in most modern shooters? I think the genesis of my perspective came from Dreamcast-level net games or something, so maybe it's changed.

It's not like levels mean that much in this game, anywho. "I've played a lot of modes, and have some mutations unlocked." They might have legendary items, but even those take late-game money to activate.

Top Bottom