• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Lol Caldarius is so good. Who was saying he wasn't?

Notice one thing: He is one of the fastest (or the fastest?) heroes. Power up that speed even more move speed items that are cheap, add some cheaper construction bonus, and you can constantly rotate in Meltdown between your lane, the other lane to help, and the big crystals. I finish with the highest amount of crystals in the game every time, and with that you can hire more fat robots to push for the win.

KdylanR92

Got matched against a group in Capture, teammates realize it's a group 3 leave as soon as the match starts, you can probably figure out how this match ended.

Spoilers: it wasn't a comeback.

It also must suck for groups when they win games 0-1000 because everyone leaves.

I think I'm falling in love with MINREC.

Who is best to solo the campaign?
Honestly I've mostly played co-op so I'm not completely certain, but I think Oscar Mike would be a solid pick. He does good damage, his flame grenade lets him take out large groups of enemies quickly, he can equip an ACOG scope for longer range (making defense easier), and his invisibility lets him escape from unwinnable fights. He's the deliberately generic soldier character for a reason, right? Very flexible, powerful, and easy to use.

As mentioned before Oscar Mike is who I used solo to beat the last stage on Advanced difficulty with.

In general for solo sessions I would just try to avoid melee characters, all the ones I've used need ranged allies to make them work against the hordes of enemies.

Notice one thing: He is one of the fastest (or the fastest?) heroes. Power up that speed even more move speed items that are cheap, add some cheaper construction bonus, and you can constantly rotate in Meltdown between your lane, the other lane to help, and the big crystals. I finish with the highest amount of crystals in the game every time, and with that you can hire more fat robots to push for the win.
Speed as a rule is super useful in this game, especially as you get experienced enough to the point where there's always something you want to be doing.

I'm a big fan of Caldarius too. He's my go-to character for Capture mode. His dash lets him take some easy shortcuts through the maps. And I think some people really underestimate how useful his flashbang can be. It doesn't stand out in a game filled with explosions and crazy magic powers, but the utility is fantastic.

Quesa

And I think some people really underestimate how useful his flashbang can be. It doesn't stand out in a game filled with explosions and crazy magic powers, but the utility is fantastic.

Most frustrating spell in the game, for sure. Works as an escape in most cases.

Special C

If someone leaves during character selection then wait until the counter is almost down to give them time to come back then leave if they dont. It won't start a game with only 3 players and it kicks everyone back to the lobby and you can find a new game.

Better for all parties involved.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a blast with this. So glad I gave it a chance after not liking the first beta.

I'm liking this a lot more than Overwatch due to having story missions and more modes.

The Saboteur isn't impossible. It's hard if your not actively defending near Nova but you can beat it with a good team. The Archive is bullshit. Either my team is bad or that mission needs some serious fixing. That robot cannot take a single hit without half of it's gone.

Is there a way to switch characters after you've picked in character select? It's kind of ridiculous that you can't switch. Several of us picked at the same time, and as such our comp was a bit mediocre, and we lost. Maybe if I or someone else could switch we would've had a closer game.

Yes! Me and a random player I met through matchmaking were able to beat The Heliophage on advance. Shit that was hard. We had no lives left at the final boss.
Is there a way to switch characters after you've picked in character select? It's kind of ridiculous that you can't switch. Several of us picked at the same time, and as such our comp was a bit mediocre, and we lost. Maybe if I or someone else could switch we would've had a closer game.

Yeah, they need to fix that.

Steel

Banned
WTF is it with all the people choosing Miko and not healing at all? Like I just got done with a capture match where the miko on my team and the one on the other healed a total of 2k health... I was Rath and healed more than both of them combined. This isn't even the first time I've seen mikos that don't heal.

Why?!?!

Xevren

WTF is it with all the people choosing Miko and not healing at all? Like I just got done with a capture match where the miko on my team and the one on the other healed a total of 2k health... I was Rath and healed more than both of them combined. This isn't even the first time I've seen mikos that don't heal.

Why?!?!

Yea I've learned a long time ago to be cautious around random Miko players, just saves yourself the headaches. They're pretty content to just throw kunai's all day.

Quesa

Yes! Me and a random player I met through matchmaking were able to beat The Heliophage on advance. Shit that was hard. We had no lives left at the final boss.

Did you add him afterward? I take it you weren't able to play Advanced through MM?

Xevren

Won a match tonight where 2 of our team dropped out on meltdown as Boulder. Was the most rough match ever but damn it was fun.

The Saboteur isn't impossible. It's hard if your not actively defending near Nova but you can beat it with a good team. The Archive is bullshit. Either my team is bad or that mission needs some serious fixing. That robot cannot take a single hit without half of it's gone.

For me the hard one was The Saboteur, and as you say it isn't impossible. It only needs some coordination, as it needs two guys staying in the entry of the little platform where Nova is, body blocking and killing everything that gets close, with the others also staying nearby.
I did the Archive as the first try. Maybe you had bad luck.

In the other hand, what I want to get the silver medal in The Heliophage already to get Kleese. I already completed the mission twice on Normal, the last one with 487K points, but it seems that isn't enough to get silver. :(

Man the framerate isn't really solid on pc whatever settings I pick.

I have framerate problems in the last two story missions, while the other content is fine. I don't know if you are referring to that.

daedalius

Played calderius for the first time, I think I really like him.

That space marine jet pack ground pound is pretty great too.

How are some people so high level already? I feel like I've been playing a decent amount and I'm 10, and there is a guy in my hand that's 44!

Galilea is OP as f

demonkaze

Still looking for an explanation for the character types and characters in general. I've been having no problems on story with Orendi but I tried Incursion for the first time last night and got completely owned and I had no idea what my role was as that character.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Still looking for an explanation for the character types and characters in general. I've been having no problems on story with Orendi but I tried Incursion for the first time last night and got completely owned and I had no idea what my role was as that character.

But they give you THREE WORDS to describe each character! Doesn't that make it clear? ;)

For Orendi, as a "Pusher", she's a person who can push the minions towards the enemy base.

This means she excels at killing off the trash mobs really fast, so that your minion wave can survive, and make it to the enemy side.

"Territorial" means a character (like Toby) will be really good at holding a certain area and defending from it. His shield is the key to his; it helps him pick an area (like a hallway) and stick in it, and fight from that spot.

Basically, you have characters that are good at healing (Miko) and supporting (Reyna), characters that are good at clearing enemies and fighting others so that waves can move (Oscar Mike, Orendi), characters that are good at Skirmishing (Caldarius), which would basically be a hit-and-run, fast playstyle, and so on.

The branching level up paths allows you to push a character from one side or a spectrum to another to a degree. For an example, you can make Caldarius good at dashing in and landing his melee attack for quick damage, or you can make him better at darting around the map, and peppering everyone with some far-range gunfire.

This game in competitive multiplayer is not a straight-forward Player-kill-Player game. It's more about killing when an opportunity arises... but paying MORE attention to the situation, and trying to push it into your favor.

Isn't it clear? Just dish out damage, to everything and anything you can.

I played through 3 more story missions tonight, with randoms. The matchmaking worked well. I also tried to beat the seventh mission that was mentioned here as being difficult, but both times my team failed at the third hacking part.

EDIT: It's the Saboteur, and it's a fucking joke.

The enemies just swarm you in too high of numbers and it's unfair. It sucks, because I want to beat the game, but I don't want to spend hours playing that mediocre mission.

I still feel pretty lukewarm about it. I did try multiplayer, too, but found it to be less interesting. It was the game mode where you lead minions. My character -- the sword guy -- felt really underpowered. I couldn't damage enemies much. I used ISIC for the campaign.

I also hate how if someone leaves your game before it starts, nobody else can join.

And what's with the gear? How do I use that?

This game is going back and I'm getting my money back.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I played through 3 more story missions tonight, with randoms. The matchmaking worked well. I also tried to beat the seventh mission that was mentioned here as being difficult, but both times my team failed at the third hacking part.

The enemies just swarm you in too high of numbers and it's unfair. It sucks, because I want to beat the game, but I don't want to spend hours playing that mediocre mission.

Devs said they find it too hard... it's beatable, however, even if it is a really dirty trick for something you spend so much time on. Just kill off the guys that appear near Nova in the back, and it's much easier to control. If you were solo, kill back first, then the rest.

I still feel pretty lukewarm about it. I did try multiplayer, too, but found it to be less interesting. It was the game mode where you lead minions. My character -- the sword guy -- felt really underpowered. I couldn't damage enemies much. I used ISIC for the campaign.

The campaign leads you to believe the game is about semi-quick-kills. It's not. It's more about paying strategy, rather than running in with guns blazing and expecting to win. You need levels to do stupid stuff like that, or have more support.

The games mechanics are very fit to this, so it works out well once you understand.

I also hate how if someone leaves your game before it starts, nobody else can join.

And what's with the gear? How do I use that?

This game is going back and I'm getting my money back.

About leavers... same thing happens in Smite. You can choose to surrender from the pause menu, however, and if your team agrees, you get to leave early.

Gear is used by equipping it to a palette. After that, you activate it with money mid match.

Devs said they find it too hard... it's beatable, however, even if it is a really dirty trick for something you spend so much time on. Just kill off the guys that appear near Nova in the back, and it's much easier to control. If you were solo, kill back first, then the rest.

Isn't that something they could've/should've caught in development/playtesting? Another sign of Gearbox being unable to do difficulty well.

I was with a full team, but we still got our asses kicked both times.

I heard they'll patch it, but I can't wait for that because I only have the game until Monday. I hope I can beat it tomorrow with a good group.

Thanks for the tips.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Isn't that something they could've/should've caught in development/playtesting? Another sign of Gearbox being unable to do difficulty well.

Eh, it's a goofy thing, and I have no problem with it on it's own. I just think it's stupid to put such a quick kill soo DEEP in. If they did it earlier (and with less damage), then it woulda been nice. The damage is too high for something far away.

I was with a full team, but we still got our asses kicked both times.

I heard they'll patch it, but I can't wait for that because I only have the game until Monday. I hope I can beat it tomorrow with a good group.

Thanks for the tips.

It's definitely beatable, My brother and I beat it in split-screen co-op. Strategy and knowledge totally win out over numbers in this game, which is kind of nice in the end.

The last stage has a time limit, but once you beat the 2 points they show near the beginning, the timer turns off. It was quite hard, but managed to win that today, too, and unlock Mellka, whom I'm quite enjoying.

Yep, I lost Saboteur twice, but at the third time we just stayed near the objective area, with two players body blocking the entrance to Nova's platform, and it was a success.

demonkaze

Getting the hang of things a bit more, especially thanks to some of the advice given here. Is there any good links or resources for this game, like details on maps, strengths and weakness of characters etc.?

Menome

Thought I'd try a simple breakdown of the character's keywords as requested earlier:

Ambra - Versatile/Healer: Healer is obvious, Versatile means that Ambra can switch between supporting/healing teammates and being a good damage dealer.

Attikus - Disruptor/Brawler: Brawler means it's a melee-focused character, very few (if any) ranged skills. Disruptor means he's geared towards getting into enemy lines and causing panic and damage.

Benedict - Mobile/Pusher: Mobile means Benedict has quicker movement than other characters, as well as having good vertical movement. Pusher means he is a character suited to being on the frontlines helping your minion-waves to get to their destination.

Boldur - Tank/Brawler: Again, Brawler means melee-focused. Tank means that Boldur can take a lot of damage and is suited to drawing enemy fire away from weaker teammates.

Caldarius - Mobile/Skirmisher: Another quick-moving and vertical-movement-capable character, but Skirmisher means he's suited to hit-and-run tactics and is unlikely to last in prolonged firefights. Pick what small goal you want to achieve, zip in, zip out.

Deande - Stealth/Assassin: Stealth means that Deande can turn invisible for short amounts of time, allowing her to sneak up on enemies or escape from a bad situation. Assassin means she's suited to quickly moving in and taking out a single target with high burst-damage before quickly getting away again due to a lower health total.

El Dragon - Agile/ Skirmisher: Despite his size, El Dragon is incredibly quick, especially with his Clothesline skill. He's also another character suited to hit-and-run tactics.

Galilea - Territorial/Brawler: Again, focuses on close combat. Territorial means that she can affect the area close to her to give her a combat advantage or to drive enemies away.

Ghalt - Controller/Disruptor: Another character who's good at creating chaos in groups of enemies. Controller means his skills negatively affect enemy characters' movement, through stunning or displacing them.

ISIC - Tank/Disruptor: Another character who's best used to get in to enemy lines and cause panic. Being a Tank, he's got the skills to block a lot of incoming damage whilst he does so.

Kelvin - Controller/Brawler: Kelvin can also affect enemy movement, primarily with stuns, but in contrast to Ghalt is focused on being up-close and personal.

Kleese - Territorial/Shielder: More area-affecting skills for this character, as he's Territorial. Shielder means he's capable of restoring friendly character's shields instead of restoring health.

Marquis - Territorial/Sniper: Marquis' skills focus on making a small area dangerous for enemy characters, either by slowing or damaging them. Sniper comes from his main weapon which allows for high damage at a long range.

Mellka - Agile/Assassin: Mellka's quick and her skills allow her to lunge forwards quickly or boost-jump upwards. She's also a character suited to taking down single targets quickly.

Miko - Combat/Healer: Unlike Ambra's support style of holding back to lay orbs, Miko is best suited to fighting alongside teammates as the healing abilities are all fairly close range. Miko can also put out a fair amount of damage if healing isn't required.

Montana - Controller/Initiator: Can slow and stun enemies to impede their movement. Initiator means that Montana should be used to start fights thanks to his high damage output and ability to take damage too.

Orendi - Agile/Skirmisher: Another character that's quick on their feet, with the ability to bounce out of combat. Should be used for hit-and-run high ranged damage.

Oscar Mike - Versatile/Pusher: Can work with different approaches, such as head-on assault or using his invisibility to flank the enemy lines and attack from behind. As a Pusher, he's another character best used to keep your frontline moving forward.

Phoebe - Brawler/Assassin: Phoebe is good for dashing in at speed, taking out a target or two at close range, then dashing out again to recover for a further attack.

Rath - Agile/Assassin: Rath can move quickly and can gain the ability to double-jump, allowing him to reach his target in a very short amount of time. Again; high burst-damage output, but a bit more able to stay engaged thanks to HP-stealing.

Reyna - Rescuer/Shielder: Reyna is good for getting people out of sticky situations. As well as personal shield boosting, she can create an area-shield and make her shield-boosts restore a small amount of health.

Shayne & Aurox - Stealth/Initiator: Can turn invisible and should use that to shock-attack the enemy and take them out quickly.

Thorn - Agile/Sniper: Another quick-traversal character, but this time suited to moving out of harm's way and attacking from a distance.

Toby - Adorable/Territorial: LOOK AT HIM, HE'S A TINY PENGUIN. His skills are good at keeping enemy characters away from a designated area. Not quite so good at being on the frontlines.

Whiskey Foxtrot - Versatile/Assassin: Works well with taking out single targets, but can also be used well as a defensive character.

Zafir

I've enjoyed what I played with it but there's some stuff that bugs me a bit.

1) Lopsided matches, where the matchmaking puts all the higher levels on one team instead of balancing it out. I mean yeah levels don't mean a massive amount but they're more likely to have experience in the game and better gear. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it can make for a unfun experience for both sides.
2) Cheese strats like on Overgrowth you can just sit in a specific spot on the stairs of the little ramp near your robot, and snipe the enemy robot. Only works for the first robot, but still kind of annoying since against certain comps and as certain comps it can be hard to push in and punish.
3) Not being able to change character on the char select screen after you've already picked. It's kind of annoying picking someone, and then someone else chooses something of a similar role, so you kind of want to swap but can't.

It's a shame there isn't more MP maps though. Overall the MP is pretty fun, but the lack of maps lets it down.

deoee

Seeing Randy Pitchford trying to sell me something instantly makes me want to NOT buy it.

randy.jpg

Seeing Randy Pitchford trying to sell me something instantly makes me want to NOT buy it.

And then one day they will present Borderlands 3 and most people will shout "fuck yess! hype! sold!" etc.

People have pretty bad memory for this kind of thing. If you aren't interested in a product, it's very easy to dismiss the company and say you are sabotaging them (because in truth you weren't going to buy the game), but the moment they release one you want, people forget his previous comments about how evil they are.

How many people in this forum have said how they were going to stop buying EA games or how they would stop buying Battlefield after the last one was released in a sorry state, and now they see a trailer of the new BF with even prettier graphics and shouting "SOLD!"?? Lots.

I said he was pretty crap. I don't feel that being fast is enough when other characters near enough equally fast, while presenting a far greater sustained threat on the battlefield.

Funny enough, if you make collecting shards and building your objective, you will almost always finish with 'most shards and most builds', it's hardlly a testament to the character you are playing. Benedict, Oscar Mike (due to invisibility), El Dragon (jump and closeline), thorn (30% movement boost) can all do what you describe very well, yet they have more all around combat utility.

Ehh, I still he has a good combat utility. Benedict is similar. Thorn does more damage, bus she is slower, the 30% move speed is temporal and only activated with an ability, Caldarius also have his own move speed buffs in the helix, and his sprint, and his double jump.

Now, I agree about W.T.F., I am not sure in what he is good about. The only thing I have seen he is decent is maybe being an "off sniper", taking the scope and dishing damage at medium-long range distance, while still not being as bad as Marquis in close combat. But it's a big maybe.

Hurley

So I've only really been playing public story mode as Oscar Mike and put some decent time into it and it says his lore is at 60%, how do you complete it exactly? Just do all the missions or do you need to do pvp too?

So I've only really been playing public story mode as Oscar Mike and put some decent time into it and it says his lore is at 60%, how do you complete it exactly? Just do all the missions or do you need to do pvp too?

Go to the heroes page, click on Oscar Mike, click on lore tab, and look at the lore challenges.

B_Bech

I said he was pretty crap. I don't feel that being fast is enough when other characters near enough equally fast, while presenting a far greater sustained threat on the battlefield.

Funny enough, if you make collecting shards and building your objective, you will almost always finish with 'most shards and most builds', it's hardlly a testament to the character you are playing. Benedict, Oscar Mike (due to invisibility), El Dragon (jump and closeline), thorn (30% movement boost) can all do what you describe very well, yet they have more all around combat utility.

This is so wrong it isn't funny. You do understand that you can use Calderius's double jump in any direction, right? And that it can be used as a strafe? It's near impossible to get hit in a one on one duel if played right. He is a jack of all trades, and can melee effectively or take a build focused on ranged. He's extremely adaptable, which is great in a game like this. Flashbang OWNS bots when you add bleed damage and the triple shot augment. It charges very fast, too. Just because you prefer other characters doesn't mean he's bad. Calderius is an advanced character for a reason.

Really enjoying this with friends, it's got some fantastic moments. Reyna ius my current love, she's so useful and dangerous if ignored.

Visually it's very cluttered at times, which is very intimidating for new players I think. You learn to deal with it but there's so much going on, so many systems and things.

It's very, very good fun a lot of the time, though.

Really enjoying this with friends, it's got some fantastic moments. Reyna ius my current love, she's so useful and dangerous if ignored.

Visually it's very cluttered at times, which is very intimidating for new players I think. You learn to deal with it but there's so much going on, so many systems and things.

I turned off the damage numbers and changed the UI size to minimum, in an effort to minimize clutter.

Sapientas

Bolded is very true. The game is not THAT complicated, but the visuals get so cluttered that some might feel lost, I sure did in the first matches.
Every match there is at least one player who clearly doesn't know he's doing, and I totally understand it.

Deande's uppercut allows her to go toe-to-toe with even the strongest melee characters and when those melee characters call for back up I just get my decoy to finish them off or distract them. She's so versatile for an assassin character.

Top Bottom