• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

shanafan

How do you turn off the "Access the command", etc voiceover when going through the menus?

EDIT: I got it. Just let her talk once. Then it stops.

nOoblet16

I thought this was gonna be a Borderlands meets MOBA but man the online is really full on MOBA from a first person perspective.

I have the game on PC but no one to play with tbh.

Xevren

I play on PS4 as well, feel free to add me if you'd like. Tend to play with a few groups but willing to play with anyone really. PSN is Xevren11

Menome

Is "The Saboteur" kind of bugged? In the 2 phase of the last room Nova takes huge amounts of damage without any enemies next to her :(

I too have suffered 'The Saboteur'. Even using Reyna and popping up the defence bubble as much as possible didn't help. Definitely needs a difficulty adjustment.

Mossybrew

I think there are snipers or something. Not a fan of this mission at all.

Yeah there are snipers and it's really hard to tell where they are shooting from. A dev on the official forums agreed this encounter was too difficult for "Normal" difficulty and will be toned down.

Xevren

I too have suffered 'The Saboteur'. Even using Reyna and popping up the defence bubble as much as possible didn't help. Definitely needs a difficulty adjustment.

Stage is being adjusted, it has the highest failure rate by a large margin.

I thought this was gonna be a Borderlands meets MOBA but man the online is really full on MOBA from a first person perspective.

I have the game on PC but no one to play with tbh.

None of the modes is like a traditional MOBA, though. There is no map with three lanes. Meltdown have two but they don't extend to the starting bases. Nor you have to destroy the enemy base. Nor there are towers that act like checkpoints for the lanes. Also not jungle, no shop, etc etc. I think they did a very good job of streamlining and distilling the concept of mobas before integrating them in a FPS.

What is the multiplayer like in comparison to the campaign?

I need to get this finished over the weekend so that I can return it in time, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation. Doesn't help that I contracted some sort of flu.

deoee

What is the multiplayer like in comparison to the campaign?

I need to get this finished over the weekend so that I can return it in time, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation. Doesn't help that I contracted some sort of flu.

PvP >>>>>> PvE content in this game imo.

I like playing coop, but Incursion takes the cake.
So many clutch matches and so many possibilties with constant tension - yay :)

Plays completely different to the PvE stuff tho. Just try it out (and use your fav. char) BUT try to get a balanced team. By that I mean, wait for randoms to pick their hero and then fill up Tanks and healers.

Menome

So what towers and traps and bots are the best?

For me, it's a Temporal Trap combined with a Shock Turret. Keeps the enemies slowed down and away from the point you're defending, and in range of the high shock damage for longer.

PvP >>>>>> PvE content in this game imo.

I like playing coop, but Incursion takes the cake.
So many clutch matches and so many possibilties with constant tension - yay :)

Plays completely different to the PvE stuff tho. Just try it out (and use your fav. char) BUT try to get a balanced team. By that I mean, wait for randoms to pick their hero and then fill up Tanks and healers.

I used the soldier-like class for the first mission. The guy in armor with an assault rifle, stealth (invisibility) and grenade abilities.

He was okay.

The bosses took some lives from me early on. I didn't lose one against the final boss. It wasn't easy overall though.

Just when I was loving Meltdown I find the biggest problem with the mode: it's not a mode for support types. A lot of it has to do with this mode being so heavy on taking out enemies as fast as you can and as someone that's invested in playing Miko I have to work extra hard to carry myself.

Steel

Banned
Just when I was loving Meltdown I find the biggest problem with the mode: it's not a mode for support types. A lot of it has to do with this mode being so heavy on taking out enemies as fast as you can and as someone that's invested in playing Miko I have to work extra hard to carry myself.

Eh.... Meltdown definitely works better with supports. I play Reyna on it all the time and my shield buffs often mean the difference between life and death.

Get a friend in a party with you and get a lane to yourselves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Naaa, it's totally a mode for support types. A support and a Tank or Melee type can go in together and lay waste to towers very, VERY quickly, and can even mess around with enemies around their own areas.

Miko's stun spore also helps cover the lack of such crowd control on certain classes, or lets you double-up on such a thing for real annoyances in 1v2 fights.

Conversely, a team with a solid Reyna can be impossible to bring down if your team isn't perfect.

Naaa, it's totally a mode for support types. A support and a Tank or Melee type can go in together and lay waste to towers very, VERY quickly, and can even mess around with enemies around their own areas.

Miko's stun spore also helps cover the lack of such crowd control on certain classes, or lets you double-up on such a thing for real annoyances in 1v2 fights.

Conversely, a team with a solid Reyna can be impossible to bring down if your team isn't perfect.

I had one match where a Reyna was fucking me up bad. He was feeding off me to the point where she was actively hunting me down.

Edit: It was Rath, not Reyna.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heh, Had a match in Incursion where the Rath would get behind our lines and destroy ALL our defenses EVERY TIME. Really tried to split our push very strongly, and just kept sapping money from our side, that TRIED to get our defenses up to cover our blind spots.

I'm actually kinda surprised how far enemies can walk into your base area early on. I wouldn't mind some shields or something, just to make the focus on fighting and lane play a bit better.

Man, just used Galilea in a game again. Finished with 19 kills, 3 deaths. Does her shield reflect damage when you block attacks with it? I know there is a helix option that makes it occasionally deflects projectiles. But I would charge in, attack the shit out of people, and then back out holding my shield. They would attack, and their health would go down and down and down and then they'd die. This was happening even before I selected the ability that makes Desecration cause damage over time.

And then after the game I unlock a mutation where Desecration silences enemies. Holy shit.

The userbase, combined with matchmaking is completely killing my enjoyment for this game.

Why should I be forced to play with with 4 idiots every game? Some of them AFK, some of them disconnect, others don't have a clue how to play an FPS, let alone a MOBA, so how the hell can they hope to grasp this one? The learning curve is huge, and I would go as far as to say seems as though the majority rather than the minority of players simply do not get it.

When I play with a team, we stomp, winning every game, against clueless newbies that do not know how to play. When I play alone, I'm bunched with clueless newbies, sometimes against full parties, sometimes against full teams of players with more than twice the amount of experience, then there are rare instances where we get a balanced, decent match.

The other thing that's bother me are the astronomical balance issues with certain characters. Caldarius and Whiskey Foxtrot are unbelievably bad characters. I can do okay with them, always staying positive, with reasonable scores like 8-4, but it's nothing when I can achieve 15-25 kills per game with characters like Thorn, Oscar Mike and Orendi.

Damage output to the lane (creep damage) and kills are probably the most influential statistics, and these two characters are terrible in both of these attributes. They need fixing as soon as possible, and it's much more than a matter of a simple damage tweak. It'd be nice if Gearbox looked at there skills and how they work, the grenade sticky is pretty unreliable on Foxtrot, and the dash attack is awful on Caldarius.

Xevren

I agree about the whole grouping thing Chrono, with the game not being as big on GAF I looked elsewhere for people to add so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Been playing with a ton of people from reddit and it's been great, I always look for you if we have room but either we dont have a spot or you're not on unfortunately.

elyetis

The userbase, combined with matchmaking is completely killing my enjoyment for this game.

Why should I be forced to play with with 4 idiots every game? Some of them AFK, some of them disconnect, others don't have a clue how to play an FPS, let alone a MOBA, so how the hell can they hope to grasp this one? The learning curve is huge, and I would go as far as to say seems as though the majority rather than the minority of players simply do not get it.

When I play with a team, we stomp, winning every game, against clueless newbies that do not know how to play. When I play alone, I'm bunched with clueless newbies, sometimes against full parties, sometimes against full teams of players with more than twice the amount of experience, then there are rare instances where we get a balanced, decent match.

The other thing that's bother me are the astronomical balance issues with certain characters. Caldarius and Whiskey Foxtrot are unbelievably bad characters. I can do okay with them, always staying positive, with reasonable scores like 8-4, but it's nothing when I can achieve 15-25 kills per game with characters like Thorn, Oscar Mike and Orendi.
It's probably too early to call for most of the balance change one might want to see, but it sure feel like more than a few character need to be rebalanced. ( imho after 2 more days I still think Galilea is currently the biggest contender for the OP title )

But yeah my biggest problem with the game right now is the matchmaking, it seems like they release the game without any Elo rating system ( if there is a hidden one, it must be really bad ), and I don't even think they try to make premade play against other premade.
The result is a huge number of one sided match ( some of which so bad that you know you lost after about 2 minutes ), because not only the skill gap is big, but the result will be even worst because those better player are far more likely to stick to the good characters, and the premade to the good combo ( usually moki + tank ).

Some people say that the game doesn't have enough player for a good matchmaking, as someone playing Fractured Space where there is usually only 300 players only, I disagree. If they can have a decent matchmaking, there is no reason battleborn can't.

Gryph

This game is a blast. Only dabbled with the story stuff so far, unlocked some people...

But I have some questions...

How're you all partying up for this on PS4? Is there a GAF Community for it?

Also, what mode are people liking the best? Are there any terrible characters I should avoid? OP ones?

Thanks!

Xevren

Just really needs a merc playlist or to at least match partied up people vs others who are partied. Though tonight with a group of 5 we ran into quite a few other partied up groups and it was a TON of fun so maybe they are doing something under the hood.

When I queue up as a solo and get grouped vs a full group of people party up I honestly just leave before the lobby sets up. It's never fun and not even worth bothering.

This game is a blast. Only dabbled with the story stuff so far, unlocked some people...

But I have some questions...

How're you all partying up for this on PS4? Is there a GAF Community for it?

Also, what mode are people liking the best? Are there any terrible characters I should avoid? OP ones?

Thanks!

Incursion seems to be the biggest followed by meltdown probably. I absolutely hate capture personally.

As for OP characters Galilea is probably the only one really. Weak I dunno, there are some that just kinda don't do enough damage and rely on others to get kills. Deande, Mellka, Caldarious, Toby, Whiskey Foxtrot? I really don't fear going against any of them.

Menome

I just realised I've forgotten to put my PSN ID up: Menome7

I'm in the UK, so my timings will be based on that. If you see me online and playing Battleborn, just chuck me an invite.

Damage output to the lane (creep damage) and kills are probably the most influential statistics, and these two characters are terrible in both of these attributes.

If there are already 3 good wave-clearers on your team, I think it's ok to pick a character that is more focused on support or in being assassin. This is a team game.

nOoblet16

How does this game compare to Overwatch? I'm new to both.

Overwatch is essentially a streamlined Team Fortress 2, a lot more characters than TF2 because abilities are spread out across multiple rather than individual characters having multiple abilities. The game modes are direct copies of TF2 game modes but again they are simpler, this is mostly due to narrower map design compared to TF2 i.e. only one control point at a time in CP mode, payload that moves quicker and has checkpoints close to each other.

Battleborn on the other hand is a completely different type of game that is like streamlined moba mixed with fps.

I haven't been able to play this game since Tuesday, and it's killing me.

There's so much stuff I want to grind, and I need to unlock more characters!

Wow, Overwatch feels incredibly barebones by comparison...

They're honestly comparable. Battleborn has more gameplay mechanics than Overwatch. Overwatch is more simple.

A couple more comparisons between the two games:

Overwatch currently has 12 multiplayer maps. Battleborn currently has 6.

Battleborn has a minimap during gameplay, Overwatch does not.

Both games are very different. If you're a fan of this "hero shooter" genre, I'd play both.

Menome

I still don't get why I'm enjoying this game so much.

For me, it's the fact that despite the slight lack of map-options right now, there's always something that'll suit my mood. I can bung on a story mission if I'm feeling antisocial, I can jump into Meltdown and be a sniper or go on Incursion and slice up fools with Phoebe. Whatever role I fancy playing as, Battleborn has me covered.

deoee

For me, it's the fact that despite the slight lack of map-options right now, there's always something that'll suit my mood. I can bung on a story mission if I'm feeling antisocial, I can jump into Meltdown and be a sniper or go on Incursion and slice up fools with Phoebe. Whatever role I fancy playing as, Battleborn has me covered.

I feel like I just can have fun, even when loosing in multiplayer.

Theres so much diversity in the characters and the leveling that I can try out new stuff all the time.
Feelsgoodman.jpg

Top Bottom