• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think turrets should have a stronger shield and a bit more hp. It's a good amount of shards to buy a level 3 one, and a range character will destroy it in seconds if left unattended.

No joke. One stupid firebomb from Oscar Mike destroys turrets with almost no effort.

I've been mostly playing supports and it feels like an uphill battle every game. Cant heal enough and teammates die instead of returning to base and getting healed that way

daedalius

Two options.

1. It's risk/reward. Give up your level to switch characters if you're pick is really not working.

2. Keep level when switching, take a few seconds at spawn (which is only place you can switch) to pick upgrades. Still some risk/reward their as you're wasting some time upgrading and not just running back into the battle.

Though honestly, at least for PVP, if they just shorten the damn game times it would be less of an issue. Matches just drag out too long with seldom any change in who's ahead outside of really close matches. Just increase shard drops so people level faster and reduce the win objective score amounts to speed things up.

Well, you can't please everyone. I figure I'll probably mostly just play this for the PVE with friends anyway, and grab Overwatch when it's cheaper and/or there's more content as I like the PVP better their with the shorter matches and ability to switch characters.

The only changes you will likely see with character picking is some sort of Draft mode with picks and bans for ranked play, nothing like mid-match character switches; that just isn't what they are going for.

Speeding things up isn't what I would want in this kind of game, I think the matches have a good length as it is, and there is always the option to surrender if you think your team is outclassed.

If you feel like these wholesale changes are needed for you to like the game, you should probably just go play that game you are suggesting all those changes from.

Menome

I've been mostly playing supports and it feels like an uphill battle every game. Cant heal enough and teammates die instead of returning to base and getting healed that way

...I still haven't found out what the teleport button is. It's never told me. I presume there's a map command somehow too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Miko seems like THE support for "stupid" temmates. He can heal himself and his ally through 1v2s well. As soon as it's a 2v2, things go sour, just slower.

Ambra and Reyna also are good, but as more "Team Support" rather than making 1 person a war machine.

Supports work well with tanks, and I can legitimately feel the usefulness of both in a game. It's crappy how people still seem to think that just being all melee or all shotty wins games. Having a walking distraction, and something to make him last longer, helps in SO MANY modes.

Gamers DEMAND to only play "killing classes" is one of the most unfortunate, ridiculous trends in team games, haha. Though this game doesn't help it by assigning more score to kills than anything else on the results screen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Has anyone tried out Toby? I hear he's a ruthless tank character.

He's not a tank at all. He's good at diggin' in and defending a zone. It's easy to confuse since his suit is so big ;) I like him as a hall monitor, but as a tank... still need a real tank, heh.

B_Bech

I love how more than one person felt the need to call me a cheater for having Deande at level 19 when clearly it states her unlockable condition in the Command database. People don't understand how to counter her and get salty as hell. They certainly saved the best for last. Her, Mellka and Ghalt are absolute monsters. I'd go so far as to add Kleese on that list. That is, when people actually play him like the support character he's meant to be.

For some reason I run into so many Reyna's that never overshield, Miko's that never heal, and Ambra's that fail to sun spot. Like... why play a support role without actually being a support? It boggles my mind. I feel like everyone wants to play as Oscar Mike or something, but can't because he gets picked fast. When I run Reyna the SECOND my overshield tech cools down I throw it out, and I'm ALWAYS with my team. Lone wolfing a support is borderline idiotic. Battleborn is amazing but the player base is so obtuse. We should get a GAF group going.

I love how more than one person felt the need to call me a cheater for having Deande at level 19 when clearly it states her unlockable condition in the Command database. People don't understand how to counter her and get salty as hell. They certainly saved the best for last. Her, Mellka and Ghalt are absolute monsters. I'd go so far as to add Kleese on that list. That is, when people actually play him like the support character he's meant to be.

For some reason I run into so many Reyna's that never overshield, Miko's that never heal, and Ambra's that fail to sun spot. Like... why play a support role without actually being a support? It boggles my mind. I feel like everyone wants to play as Oscar Mike or something, but can't because he gets picked fast. When I run Reyna the SECOND my overshield tech cools down I throw it out, and I'm ALWAYS with my team. Lone wolfing a support is borderline idiotic. Battleborn is amazing but the player base is so obtuse. We should get a GAF group going.
What mutation are you using on Deande? The only one I find useful to me is uppercut. I thought Wonder Twins would be useful but I get more health back using ground burst than using my decoy.

Has anyone tried out Toby? I hear he's a ruthless tank character.

As above, not so much a tank as a zone-controller. Railgun and shield are hideously powerful, but at limited angles. Does massive damage/area control, but requires someone to watch his back. Is fun though.

Had a BLAST as Kelvin in Incursion. As soon as FOV slider comes to console that icy rock is gonna be even more hilarious. CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP.

Koeta

So about matchmaking, listening to one of the dev talk on a twitch stream he goes on about how they don't want to split up story queues for each mission out of fear for queue times, but to me wouldn't it be better to have a longer queue for a mission you want to play vs a faster queue for one you don't want to play?

I personally find it way more of a pain to get a mission I don't want, and see 1 or 2 other people drop out because it was also not what they wanted vs just waiting longer for a mission everyone would like to play.

They can keep the all mission option there for when you just wanna play and don't care.

The guy also spoke about having a daily mission with some sort of bonus for playing it, that might help you get to play the mission you want without hurting queue times much, and while that sounds nice and all, what if it's Tuesday and I'm busy Tuesday? now I can't play the 1 mission I was looking to play till they pick it again? it's not really the answer to the problem.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you feel like these wholesale changes are needed for you to like the game, you should probably just go play that game you are suggesting all those changes from.

Well I did say in the post you quoted that I'll probably just play PVE in this and go with Overwatch or
other more pick up and play friendly PVP shooters to scratch that itch.

hello, I've been playing Overwatch beta for a couple of days and I like it a lot, particularly the fact that every character have their own distinct abilities. it give me the feeling of fighting game but with shooter genre. and I want to try other games like it.

I know that battleborn is a very different game than overwatch, but both have varied characters with abilities played in fps view. so the core gameplay seems similar enough, but I have some questions about the game so I can make a more informed decision to get it or not. because I don't think there's a demo for this game, or at least I missed the beta period.

- how long does a standard match usually take? when I played Overwatch beta, the usual match for me range from 5-10 minutes. feels like a good time for a pick up and play multiplayer. the impression I got from Overwatch is that it's easy to learn but hard to master kind of thing. well I like the easy to learn part because when I have some free time, I can relax and play a couple matches and have a good time.

- is Battlelborn the kind of game that needs a lot of time commitment to enjoy? I'm looking for a pickup and play game, but hopefully with plenty of stuff to discover over time. Overwatch is a fun game, but after learning the basic abilities for all characters, all you have left is try to master the characters, and as a casual player, I'm probably not gonna reach that level of mastery anyway. if I'm not mistaken, Battleborn have skilltree and stuff so that seems like it have more stuff to play around with just to learn the character before trying to master them. if that makes sense

-how is the game for solo player who most likely gonna play with random player via matchmaking? is the barrier of entry too high that casual random player will have bad time?

-PC or PS4? and somewhat related, how long does it take for you to find a match? Overwatch beta is awesome in that regard that I can find matches usually in 10 seconds. perfect for pickup and play.

-last question, how's the characters and story? I have to admit, from the trailers, some characters does feel a bit annoying and act a bit too try hard to be edgy or funny and I'm not sure it succeed from the trailer. I wonder if that's less of a problem during gameplay.

hello, I've been playing Overwatch beta for a couple of days and I like it a lot, particularly the fact that every character have their own distinct abilities. it give me the feeling of fighting game but with shooter genre. and I want to try other games like it.

I know that battleborn is a very different game than overwatch, but both have varied characters with abilities played in fps view. so the core gameplay seems similar enough, but I have some questions about the game so I can make a more informed decision to get it or not. because I don't think there's a demo for this game, or at least I missed the beta period.

- how long does a standard match usually take? when I played Overwatch beta, the usual match for me range from 5-10 minutes. feels like a good time for a pick up and play multiplayer. the impression I got from Overwatch is that it's easy to learn but hard to master kind of thing. well I like the easy to learn part because when I have some free time, I can relax and play a couple matches and have a good time.

- is Battlelborn the kind of game that needs a lot of time commitment to enjoy? I'm looking for a pickup and play game, but hopefully with plenty of stuff to discover over time. Overwatch is a fun game, but after learning the basic abilities for all characters, all you have left is try to master the characters, and as a casual player, I'm probably not gonna reach that level of mastery anyway. if I'm not mistaken, Battleborn have skilltree and stuff so that seems like it have more stuff to play around with just to learn the character before trying to master them. if that makes sense

-how is the game for solo player who most likely gonna play with random player via matchmaking? is the barrier of entry too high that casual random player will have bad time?

-PC or PS4? and somewhat related, how long does it take for you to find a match? Overwatch beta is awesome in that regard that I can find matches usually in 10 seconds. perfect for pickup and play.

-last question, how's the characters and story? I have to admit, from the trailers, some characters does feel a bit annoying and act a bit too try hard to be edgy or funny and I'm not sure it succeed from the trailer. I wonder if that's less of a problem during gameplay.

I'm kind of in your position in that I'm not looking to play this game enough to 'master' any particular component of it, but I hop on now and then and always find myself tinkering with my loadout and how I plan my skill tree. Battleborn definitely has a lot more explicit depth to its mechanics for you to play around with as a means to improve over time.

Even though I only play intermittently, perhaps once or twice per week I've still been finding Battleborn very easy to play and do well at. Though I would say I'm usually decent at most shooters, so that my be a factor there.

Batteborn also has character specific challenges and unlocks that make me want to keep coming back and put a little bit more time into my favourite characters. A dedicated player could probably unlock all of these, for all characters within a few months, but I think for on and off casual play there's a very large body of content that you can get out of the game. For me, it'll be at least a year before I unlock everything.

I play on PS4 but I hear people enjoy it on PC. It doesn't make much difference to me, but if you want the options that come with PC builds, like FoV sliders and higher framerates, then the PC version is objectively better. Personally, I enjoy the community for most games on consoles, so I play on consoles. I also hate the idea of variable hardware and cheaters, so consoles win out for me on that front.

Matches last about 20 mintues average but can be anywhere between 5 minutes and 30. Matchmaking average is probably between 30 and 60 seconds. It's not the best in that regard.

I'm kind of in your position in that I'm not looking to play this game enough to 'master' any particular component of it, but I hop on now and then and always find myself tinkering with my loadout and how I plan my skill tree. Battleborn definitely has a lot more explicit depth to its mechanics for you to play around with as a means to improve over time.

Even though I only play intermittently, perhaps once or twice per week I've still been finding Battleborn very easy to play and do well at. Though I would say I'm usually decent at most shooters, so that my be a factor there.

Batteborn also has character specific challenges and unlocks that make me want to keep coming back and put a little bit more time into my favourite characters. A dedicated player could probably unlock all of these, for all characters within a few months, but I think for on and off casual play there's a very large body of content that you can get out of the game. For me, it'll be at least a year before I unlock everything.

I play on PS4 but I hear people enjoy it on PC. It doesn't make much difference to me, but if you want the options that come with PC builds, like FoV sliders and higher framerates, then the PC version is objectively better. Personally, I enjoy the community for most games on consoles, so I play on consoles. I also hate the idea of variable hardware and cheaters, so consoles win out for me on that front.

Matches last about 20 mintues average but can be anywhere between 5 minutes and 30. Matchmaking average is probably between 30 and 60 seconds. It's not the best in that regard.

thanks for the reply, I'm leaning toward PC at the moment. also, how many abilities does each character have? Overwatch setup is pretty simple to control on PC, they map the ability to Left Shift and E mostly. very easy to access even on keyboard.

I'm wondering if Battleborn have a lot more abilities/skill available that the hotkeys become too much. how do you access your skill on dualshock 4?

Miko seems like THE support for "stupid" temmates. He can heal himself and his ally through 1v2s well. As soon as it's a 2v2, things go sour, just slower.

Ambra and Reyna also are good, but as more "Team Support" rather than making 1 person a war machine.

Supports work well with tanks, and I can legitimately feel the usefulness of both in a game. It's crappy how people still seem to think that just being all melee or all shotty wins games. Having a walking distraction, and something to make him last longer, helps in SO MANY modes.

Gamers DEMAND to only play "killing classes" is one of the most unfortunate, ridiculous trends in team games, haha. Though this game doesn't help it by assigning more score to kills than anything else on the results screen.

yea I was playing ambra and her skills seem all over the place and her mechanic doesnt seem to be very useful. At least imo for being a support her range on her primary weapon and E skill are terrible and why have a mechanic for a melee attack. I haven't unlocked her mutations so idk anything about them

any word if they will improve the speed of matchmaking and the general amount of waiting around. Its like 70 seconds even when everyone has chose a character :(

As others have pointed out, it shoots down to 10 whenever everyone is ready. But one area where they CAN save time is during the level vote. If there are 10 people in an Incursion match and 6 pick Overgrowth, it should do basic math and start loading. But it waits for everyone to pick or the timer to hit zero. 9 of 10 can pick Overgrowth and the game gives no shits unless that 10th person makes a pick.

Also, they're swapping the side of the wall that the stairs are on in Overgrowth to prevent Marquis cheese, but he can still snipe the Sentry and is easier form if you run up the entrance to that little room with a turret inside that each base has. You get more elevation there too, so you get even better shots.

Gryph

yea I was playing ambra and her skills seem all over the place and her mechanic doesnt seem to be very useful. At least imo for being a support her range on her primary weapon and E skill are terrible and why have a mechanic for a melee attack. I haven't unlocked her mutations so idk anything about them

Well she's not a straight healer. Ambra is a pushing, lane control support. Her kit seems pretty well put together to me.

Sunspot to heal your wave /damage the opponents wave, as well as zoning.

Solar Wind to push back groups.

Extinction Event for large clears of minions and zoning

Then Staff of Radiance to stay in the fight, healing yourself and generating heat.

Scorching Strikes, combined with your Flame Shield is the panic button.

She can't push straight heals like Miko can, but as a laner she's pretty fantastic.

I'm wondering if Battleborn have a lot more abilities/skill available that the hotkeys become too much. how do you access your skill on dualshock 4?

Each character has two standard skills and one ultimate skill. Almost all the characters have two types of standard attack or an attack and a shield. So I guess five buttons for all of you skills? Plus a jump and melee button?

I don't know, I'm playing on PS4...

Xevren

If any other ps4 players are out there that are into the pvp feel free to add me, tend to have a couple people to play with and try and find people to fill up slots. Psn is Xevren11, just put that you're from gaf.

daedalius

Beat the campaign with the wife, was a pretty good time! Now time to do it all again in advanced, haha... Maybe after they patch it tho

Well she's not a straight healer. Ambra is a pushing, lane control support. Her kit seems pretty well put together to me.

Sunspot to heal your wave /damage the opponents wave, as well as zoning.

Solar Wind to push back groups.

Extinction Event for large clears of minions and zoning

Then Staff of Radiance to stay in the fight, healing yourself and generating heat.

Scorching Strikes, combined with your Flame Shield is the panic button.

She can't push straight heals like Miko can, but as a laner she's pretty fantastic.

Each character has two standard skills and one ultimate skill. Almost all the characters have two types of standard attack or an attack and a shield. So I guess five buttons for all of you skills? Plus a jump and melee button?

I don't know, I'm playing on PS4...

hmm yea it might be due to not having many mutations yet. I don't see how scorching strikes is a panic button w/ the basic helix.

Patch landing in the next two weeks, sneak peek.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battleborn/comments/4irzqf/new_patch_notes_sneak_peek/

Wonder why they are not pushing it to PC right now if it's ready.

I think it's b/c they want to push simultaneously and gotta wait for console cert

I'm really enjoying this game. When I first saw this a few months ago I completely brushed it off and thought "meh". Some friends though convinced me to give it a try, really glad I gave it a second look. Game has some flaws for sure and from a personal opinion stand point I find most of the writing/character personality stuff kinda flat and unfunny but that is easily ignored or turned off.

I think the competitive multiplayer is really good. Most of the characters seem like they have pros and cons, some need tuning for sure (Isic, Galilea...I say that as someone who has played Galilea more than any other character). All the game modes are decent, meltdown being my favorite. The matching making seems ok atm, I've had a good mixture of good teammates/bad teammates.

The game took me a couple games to figure out what was going on, I've played a very little of dota so I knew the very basics of moba play going in but Battleborn has a lot going on visually so It was a little hard to separate the elements at first and see the big picture of all the character interactions.

EnthronedReaper

Neo Member
A long term solution Would be to implement a lobby system like borderlands so the wait for story missions will never get out of hand. Just have open lobby's visible

Gryph

hmm yea it might be due to not having many mutations yet. I don't see how scorching strikes is a panic button w/ the basic helix.

Well it's not the best panic button in the world...

But depending on what level 7 Helix you pick you can either get emergency healing with your heated staff blows, or a faster hit with her spear.

And if you've gotten her legendary then her staff will build up heat on its own, which makes it a bit better. Although honestly, an Ambra player should be siphoning / releasing heat strikes as much as possible, no point in saving the heat, better to just kill a minion with it.

- how long does a standard match usually take?

20-25 minutes, a maximum of 30 minutes.

- is Battlelborn the kind of game that needs a lot of time commitment to enjoy? I'm looking for a pickup and play game, but hopefully with plenty of stuff to discover over time.

It needs a bit more of commitment than Overwatch, but it isn't nothing super complicated. The game mode is more complex than "go capture stay in this capture point / avoid the enemy team capturing it", but in 3 matches you should pick up the basics and master it in ~12 matches.

I play mostly solo and I'm having a fun time.

PC imo, because 60 fps, customizable fov, and mouse. Remember BB is 30fps on consoles unlike Overwatch. It needs 60 seconds or so to find a game. Unlike Overwatch, it can't join you to an in progress game, so it needs to find and setup a game for 10 players that are in the same status as you.

The story is forgettable, and excuse to make a multiplayer game. The characters are very good, full of personality. I don't know what part of them is edgy, given the entire comical atmosphere. As much, they are mostly goofy, but in an endearing way.

thanks for the reply, I'm leaning toward PC at the moment. also, how many abilities does each character have? Overwatch setup is pretty simple to control on PC, they map the ability to Left Shift and E mostly. very easy to access even on keyboard.

Skill 1 Q
Skill 2 E
Ultimate F

Pretty similar to Overwatch. Everyone have a sprint with Shift.

The biggest difference with Overwatch is the longer TTK, lots of times you need to flank someone or coordinate with teammates or for them to make a mistake to kill someone.

Sapientas

Some of the lore challenges are so disproportionate. Most are mild and can be done in like 5-7 matches, but some are pretty insane like 500 kills with Whiskey Foxtrot's melee or 20 airborne Volley *player* kills with Thorn.
Welp, Commander level 100 should take longer than all that I guess.

I understand the logic of keeping queue times down but they seem to be ignoring the fact that in a good % of games...60-70% maybe, in my personal experience, if someone doesn't get the map they want, they leave...and there are no penalties to that, you can immediately queue for a new game and try to get your map again. If they are not going to implement individual queues then maybe it'd be a good idea to implement some form of deserter debuff to someone who leaves a match. I'm really not sure why something like this wasn't in the game when it shipped, not a big MOBA player but don't most of them have some form of this if you leave a game early?

Sapientas

I understand the logic of keeping queue times down but they seem to be ignoring the fact that in a good % of games...60-70% maybe, in my personal experience, if someone doesn't get the map they want, they leave...and there are no penalties to that, you can immediately queue for a new game and try to get your map again. If they are not going to implement individual queues then maybe it'd be a good idea to implement some form of deserter debuff to someone who leaves a match. I'm really not sure why something like this wasn't in the game when it shipped, not a big MOBA player but don't most of them have some form of this if you leave a game early?
The game sure is lenient on quitter issues and a harsh(er) punishment is a must, like other MOBAs maybe. But bolded porcentage can't be right, that's way too much. I've had quitters over map only twice, and there is no way to be sure they left because of that too since I've seen people come back.

That's just my own experience between the XB1 and PC versions, and I have probably just had some bad luck, not saying it is the same rate for everyone :). Last night on PC it was basically every game I played, at least one person left after the map select, usually the person who voted for the map that didn't get picked. Not a huge deal since the difficulty scales in story, but it is a problem in competitive and surely needs to be addressed there.

deoee

Got everyone except Ghalt which is a bitch to unlock :S

also wasn't there a ranked mode in the beta?
Where is it now?

I notice the campaign on Advanced has some nice little touches. The enemy waves aren't always the same, if you replay a level you will see sometimes there are some randomness in them. In one of the first missions I noticed a new enemy, like the lil' robot from pvp but it could fly, I could swear I didn't see it on Normal mode. In the last mission the bosses you fight are random, and you fight two of them at the same time instead of just one like in Normal mode.

B_Bech

What mutation are you using on Deande? The only one I find useful to me is uppercut. I thought Wonder Twins would be useful but I get more health back using ground burst than using my decoy.

Most of the mutations are useless in my opinion. The only two standouts are uppercut and the one that ups the damage and radius of explosive decoy, but that one is iffy. I have had some success running a life steal build. Less teleporting back to base. If you're trying to use it to survive engagements with other players you're going to have a bad time. I found it useful to be able to steal health from bots and buildables. I much prefer assassination builds though.

Thinking of going duo with my brother on Advanced missions. What characters should we pick? I'm guessing a support and a brawler?
I was Miko while another player was Oscar Mike and we did ok. It get's pretty difficult fighting Rendain if your not constantly supporting each other.
Most of the mutations are useless in my opinion. The only two standouts are uppercut and the one that ups the damage and radius of explosive decoy, but that one is iffy. I have had some success running a life steal build. Less teleporting back to base. If you're trying to use it to survive engagements with other players you're going to have a bad time. I found it useful to be able to steal health from bots and buildables. I much prefer assassination builds though.

I've been pretty successful getting the jump on enemies by uncloaking, attacking them with burst which lowers their attack damage, and putting points into slow down which slows the opponent after the first hit when uncloaked. They become weak for a couple of seconds and it allows me to try and put them in a corner with uppercut so they can't escape me. My opponents 9 times out of 10 don't know what to do when there being juggled in the air and they try to escape and run back to base. Deande's melee and range damage is decent. You just need to watch her health. Holotwin is a lifesaver.

A392C70C3CDEBF57331153127356DD4F44EE7405

1hp. I survived. :)

Ragarra

Thinking of going duo with my brother on Advanced missions. What characters should we pick? I'm guessing a support and a brawler?

Oscar Mike x 2 is what me and my friend did for advanced when killing Rendain. Works really well since you can stealth revive, have excellent damage, and easy recharge of shields with stealth.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Thinking of getting this game to tide over the wait until Overwatch. Are there any heroes in this game that have skill sets designed around outplaying people? Like I love the feeling of beating someone based on skill alone.

deoee

Thinking of getting this game to tide over the wait until Overwatch. Are there any heroes in this game that have skill sets designed around outplaying people? Like I love the feeling of beating someone based on skill alone.

Yeah there are enough of those.

Orendi, Deande, Phoebe etc etc. Many champs are not as simple as Oscar Mike to play and need some thinking before engaging.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Yeah there are enough of those.

Orendi, Deande, Phoebe etc etc. Many champs are not as simple as Oscar Mike to play and need some thinking before engaging.

Nice, I was drawn to the look of Orendi right away. Looks like I'll be getting it!

Top Bottom