• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Gryph

What's the tutorial like in this game?

Well, there sort of is one and sort of isn't...

There's a basic character game play tutorial in the prologue, but it's very basic.

The mechanics of the game are taught pretty well through the PVE campaign. And each PVP game mode has a little "this is your objective" video that plays before the match start.

And that's about it... You'll probably have to play around with each character in private mode if you want to really learn the abilities...

I find PVE a pretty good place to try out new characters. Capture mode also is objective-light enough that you could probably swing through that without much of a disadvantage.

I've played the game for 36 hours now (not including beta time) and I still feel I've barely touched most of the cast. This game is going to keep me busy for a long time.

Xevren

This was literally the worst time the timeouts could have happened, I think I'm going to cry. Gonna upload a vid why. Oh my fucking god.

Was going to try out a new character, then probably one of the best melee legendaries dropped from a boss.

Spoiler alert, I didn't get it.

For reference it's this:

hIPySGo.png

What're you doing to level up, PVP?

I'm trying to find an effective way to level all these characters...
Story missions give you the most experience if your killing lots of enemies and fulfilling objectives. In multiplayer you have to kill other players if you want the most experience.
This was literally the worst time the timeouts could have happened, I think I'm going to cry. Gonna upload a vid why. Oh my fucking god.

Was going to try out a new character, then probably one of the best melee legendaries dropped from a boss.

For reference it's this:

hIPySGo.png
It should come back. I bought loot packs when the servers were down for a couple of seconds but they showed up in my inventory.

Gryph

Story missions give you the most experience if your killing lots of enemies and fulfilling objectives. In multiplayer you have to kill other players if you want the most experience.

This is sort of what I figured... Seems like getting Platinum on this is going to take a while...

False alarm! The legendary is actually in my inventory. But not the other stuff. Who cares about that, oh man.

Glad to hear it!

For reference it's this:

hIPySGo.png

My legendaries

S0Y6ZnA.png

CDR, sprint speed,chance of an ability use reducing cooldown all the abilities
O3tiRHM.png

That's +ability damage, shield penetration, and ability impact make enemies unable of regenerating shield for 8 seconds.

I think yours is better!

False alarm! The legendary is actually in my inventory. But not the other stuff. Who cares about that, oh man.

I had something similar happen to me. I was running through mission 6, trying to silver rank it on Advanced. The sentry boss dropped a legendary, and then the server disconnected during the latter half of the mission...which sucked, because that was going to be a silver rank.

I kept the legendary despite the disconnect. So, that's good that gear is kept if you get DC'd.

Wish I could! But sadly I'm on PS4. Hope you find someone.

It's solo-able if you have too... A good defense focused load-out on a ranged DPS character will help.

This might be too late, but if you're still looking for some folks, I can join you.

I don't have a mic, hope that's all right.

yea sorry I actually ended up doing it by myself \o/ lol. Galilea pretty much rocked it. Was trying all other characters like isic but galilea just seemed to be ez mode

Koeta

Do you need to get 50 Kill shots to unlock Phoebe or do assists count?
Also can you do it in anyway other than Versus Public?

Really a shame they made her such a pain to unlock for PVE players, Rank 22 seems so far off lol

Really a shame they made her such a pain to unlock for PVE players, Rank 22 seems so far off lol

Assists count, but they have to be against players (Battleborn)

Assists count, but they have to be against players (Battleborn)

I don't think assist counts. I have like 100 assists and she's at 33/50 or the amt of ppl I KOd. It has to be a kill shot

yea sorry I actually ended up doing it by myself \o/ lol. Galilea pretty much rocked it. Was trying all other characters like isic but galilea just seemed to be ez mode

Good deal, glad you took it down. I did it with Orendi, myself. I lost about 8 lives during the course of the mission, but I solo'd it Advanced mode and got a gold rank.

I got to Level 22 after about 30 hours of PVE play. I'm currently at 36 played hours. Which, on that note...getting to Level 22 unlocked Phoebe for me, and now I have the entire cast unlocked!

Good deal, glad you took it down. I did it with Orendi, myself. I lost about 8 lives during the course of the mission, but I solo'd it Advanced mode and got a gold rank.

I got to Level 22 after about 30 hours of PVE play. I'm currently at 36 played hours. Which, on that note...getting to Level 22 unlocked Phoebe for me, and now I have the entire cast unlocked!

yea I had about 10 lives at the end. Thankfully most of the bosses went down super easy so I had a stockpile on rendain

Koeta

I'm level 13 with 31 hours played lol, I have only done 2 PVP matches so far and both times my teams were filled with rage over the character I picked lol.

I'm not a fan of the meta in games like this, why I hate Summoners Rift in League of Legends, in ARAM at least people bitch less.

Gryph

I also unlocked Phoebe with command rank. I'm at 29 here after 32 hours...

I'm level 13 with 31 hours played lol, I have only done 2 PVP matches so far and both times my teams were filled with rage over the character I picked lol.

I'm not a fan of the meta in games like this, why I hate Summoners Rift in League of Legends, in ARAM at least people bitch less.

That sucks man. Grab some Gaf friends from this thread and play in groups, all that Meta stuff is bullshit.

It's only 50 kills, you should do it in 8-10 matches.

In my game almost nobody speaks, that includes also a lack of rage. I suppose the faster pace in comparison with a traditional moba helps.

Finally unlocked Galilea and holy crap she is awesome! Life-steal characters have always been my absolute favorites in any game, and making her essentially this super durable death knight is just so perfect.

Sorry Orendi, you've got some competition as my favorite now...

Xevren

Matchmaking after the hotfix was awful, it's faster but the level range is even worse than before if that's even possible. All night only finished 2 matches and they weren't even very good. I know the other team never had any fun, no idea how they can fix it but hopefully they can figure something out. Hard to finish any sort of challenges when matches don't even go 5 minutes, probably spent more time waiting for matches =/

Huh, no matchmaking issues on PC after the patch, at least in the three matches I just played.

It's fast, but it was fast before too. I didn't really notice any change.

Menome

Just had the Player Initialization disconnect happen. An hour into soloing the Heliophage on Advanced. Just as I was fighting the last of the six bosses.

Fuck everything.

Matchmaking after the hotfix was awful, it's faster but the level range is even worse than before if that's even possible. All night only finished 2 matches and they weren't even very good. I know the other team never had any fun, no idea how they can fix it but hopefully they can figure something out. Hard to finish any sort of challenges when matches don't even go 5 minutes, probably spent more time waiting for matches =/

Level isn't used in the matchmaking. ELO is.

Xevren

I hear that getting thrown around a lot and I think it's completely broken. When a group of 50+ people who havent lost in 30+ games gets matched up against a group of sub level 10's something is wrong. They said they opened it up to lessen queue times after the hot fix but it was brutal today. We just ended up splitting up in different groups in hopes for full games and still couldn't get it. It's just busted.

Menome

Just had the Player Initialization disconnect happen. An hour into soloing the Heliophage on Advanced. Just as I was fighting the last of the six bosses.

Fuck everything.

I then proceeded to go and get some groceries and calm down for half an hour. Upon returning home, I realised I'd left my keys inside and had to go get the spare key from town. Today is not a good day.

I hear that getting thrown around a lot and I think it's completely broken. When a group of 50+ people who havent lost in 30+ games gets matched up against a group of sub level 10's something is wrong. They said they opened it up to lessen queue times after the hot fix but it was brutal today. We just ended up splitting up in different groups in hopes for full games and still couldn't get it. It's just busted.

It's true that it depends a lot of the internal calculations. For example someone with a 50% W/L ratio after 80 hours of play (being level 60) will be better than someone being level 6 who has played just 8 games where he won 4 games and lost 4 games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I thought Ambra sucked after her post Beta nerf...
...I now really like Ambra, lol.

Getting the heal beam that takes her life, but heals others, is pretty solid. Basically makes you another flavor of Miko. Her ult is so clutch when you place it behind the enemies of a team fight, and getting a universal stun (or Fiery Remains) on all of them once you reach 10 is great.

Also, setting sunspots all over the field (in enemy waves, behind walls teammates will hide at, near sniping spots of enemies, etc) will get you assist all day.

I don't think I like Solar Wind at all without burning. That just seems to MAKE the move as an offensive ability. Without that, you should just level it as a utility (with pushback) all the way.

Letting Allies Absorb sunspots, or having them explode, just doesn't seem as good. The persistent damage disappears if they can expire early. And if you're going to use the rod to heal, you don't want what's helping heal YOU to disappear early.

---

Every match of this game is so different. You have some where Ghalt is the defining reason why a team wins. You have others where he's always caught unaware and gets roflstomped. Having AOEs like Oscar and Thorn turns poor Galilea into a feeder. The only thing that never changes is that Rath's knock into the air with his sword wave is ALWAYS useful, lol. He's pretty much the best answer for camping groups and people who really dig into a territory.

Zafir

And sadly, that's why it's so damn flawed.

There's a reason why most MOBA matchmaking systems take into account level/time played as well.

DOTA 2 takes into account hours played and matches you accordingly - the only exception is if you've flagged the smurf protection system. HoTS tries to match level 40s with level 40s, though it does falter due to the fact it's taking into account a tonne of other variables like hero role selected and elo. Smite matches under level 30s with under 30s, groups not withstanding. I've never played LoL, but wouldn't be surprised if a system in that exists as well.

Levels don't mean skill, but they do mean experience in the game. Even worse, in this it means heroes, and also more importantly the likely hood of having better equipment.

Levels shouldn't be the only thing being taken into account, but it damn well should be taken into account when matchmaking. Without, you get a lowbie winning a game and getting a massive boost in ELO (due to how systems give increased points when uncertainty is high), which puts them in matches with better more experienced players which they shouldn't be and makes it totally lopsided.

And sadly, that's why it's so damn flawed.

There's a reason why most MOBA matchmaking systems take into account level/time played as well.

DOTA 2 takes into account hours played and matches you accordingly - the only exception is if you've flagged the smurf protection system. HoTS tries to match level 40s with level 40s, though it does falter due to the fact it's taking into account a tonne of other variables like hero role selected and elo. Smite matches under level 30s with under 30s, groups not withstanding. I've never played LoL, but wouldn't be surprised if a system in that exists as well.

Levels don't mean skill, but they do mean experience in the game. Even worse, in this it means heroes, and also more importantly the likely hood of having better equipment.

Levels shouldn't be the only thing being taken into account, but it damn well should be taken into account when matchmaking. Without, you get a lowbie winning a game and getting a massive boost in ELO (due to how systems give increased points when uncertainty is high), which puts them in matches with better more experienced players which they shouldn't be and makes it totally lopsided.

Right but you have consider the player pool when implementing that type of matchmaking and the effect that layering additional filters onto matchmaking has on matchmaking times.

Ultimately if the situation you describe did occur and a low level player was granted a massive boost in ELO (they'd first need to be a significantly higher ranked team which seems unlikely in most instances) then they would be bumped down pretty quickly after losing a couple of games developing a much more stable rank after a rather short period of time.

I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Zafir

Right but you have consider the player pool when implementing that type of matchmaking and the effect that layering additional filters onto matchmaking has on matchmaking times.

Ultimately if the situation you describe did occur and a low level player was granted a massive boost in ELO (they'd first need to be a significantly higher ranked team which seems unlikely in most instances) then they would be bumped down pretty quickly after losing a couple of games developing a much more stable rank after a rather short period of time.

I don't think it's that big of a problem.
Sure, but the games it takes to bump them down end up just being un-fun. It's especially a problem at the moment with the game being new, where there is a lot of new/low level players around and a lot of people who have basically been playing all the time. Over time, the issue will become less of a problem, in which case they could turn off the level check in the matchmaking should they have implemented one.

I'd rather wait a bit longer and get a better match than experience what I have been doing. My friend and I really really like the game, but the matchmaking is killing it for us. I've not experienced many games which have been balanced, so I think the matchmaking has an issue.

Edit: I forgot to add, this is on PC.

Most of my games have been pretty decent. Some one-sided stomps, but mostly OK.

That said we were matched, as a pair + 3 randoms, vs a team of 5 that had a level 100 in it the other day.

Level 100.

Already.

What. The. Hell.

Most of my games have been pretty decent. Some one-sided stomps, but mostly OK.

That said we were matched, as a pair + 3 randoms, vs a team of 5 that had a level 100 in it the other day.

Level 100.

Already.

What. The. Hell.

Jeez yesterday I found a level 81 player and was already very surprised.

Top Bottom