• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Thinking of getting this game to tide over the wait until Overwatch. Are there any heroes in this game that have skill sets designed around outplaying people? Like I love the feeling of beating someone based on skill alone.

There are 25 heroes, so chances are that you will find some of them that really click with you.

deoee

Nice, I was drawn to the look of Orendi right away. Looks like I'll be getting it!

Orendi is a crazy magician with one of her skills being a movement/damage one.
The others need some foreshadowing of where oponents will go to and stay to hit properly but when you hit everything and have the right synergies skilled - oh boy do you hurt.

Menome

Finally got Phoebe's lore challenge for doing 2,000 Blade Rush damage after an evening of different tactics. Turns out there's quite an easy way:

Gear up with +Skill damage and +Shield total, take the appropriate Helixes to boost Blade Rush, especially the one that does AoE damage with the blades and the one which boosts damage by 12% of Shield total.

Solo the 'Edge Of The Void' mission and at the final boss fight; get to the bit where you're in the void. Be careful and take out the long-range enemies individually. Then hoard the melee ones into a bundle, make sure your shield is fully charged and fire off Blade Rush into the floor through the group.

Sapientas

Finally got Phoebe's lore challenge for doing 2,000 Blade Rush damage after an evening of different tactics. Turns out there's quite an easy way:

Gear up with +Skill damage and +Shield total, take the appropriate Helixes to boost Blade Rush, especially the one that does AoE damage with the blades and the one which boosts damage by 12% of Shield total.

Solo the 'Edge Of The Void' mission and at the final boss fight; get to the bit where you're in the void. Be careful and take out the long-range enemies individually. Then hoard the melee ones into a bundle, make sure your shield is fully charged and fire off Blade Rush into the floor through the group.
Awesome, was looking for this. Ashamed to say that I'm sure I lost some matches trying to get this challenge.
Will try this later.

Toby is the first hero I've played that I just flat out don't like. I'm sure I'm just not playing him right, but I don't think I care to learn him. Not a big fan of Whiskey Foxtrot either, really.

This game looks super fun. I just finished watching the totalbiscuit explanation of the game and it looks fantastic. Hoping to grab it on my xbox to do coop with family. Game totally deserves all the hype we can throw at it.

Koeta

the unlocking requirements for the last few characters I need to unlock have disappeared ever since I finished the story mode, it's kind of a pain.

Xevren

Nobody plays Phoebe and I need that Marquis lore challenge -_-

If you happen to be playing on console and have multiple controllers just do split screen and pick her. (assuming you have her that is) Can just pick a story mission on hardcore that has a cliff at the beginning and have them jump off. Works unless you have to have completed matches with said character.

If you happen to be playing on console and have multiple controllers just do split screen and pick her. (assuming you have her that is) Can just pick a story mission on hardcore that has a cliff at the beginning and have them jump off. Works unless you have to have completed matches with said character.

I think it just said play, not complete so that might work

kind of sad though lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So how do you play mellka effectively in pvp?

For me? Concentrate on making "Spike" deadly. Make sure to land the Venom canister reload on EVERYONE. Play hit and run by getting behind them, launching yourself into the air with Spike, and then using Claw Lunch to escape back to safety.

Jump + Spike can let you leap onto some nice areas for semi-sniping and infiltration.

Remember Spike + Venom Canisters are also pretty decent for lane clear, as well.

I have a lot of fun playing her this way, easily one of my overall favorites.

For me? Concentrate on making "Spike" deadly. Make sure to land the Venom canister reload on EVERYONE. Play hit and run by getting behind them, launching yourself into the air with Spike, and then using Claw Lunch to escape back to safety.

Jump + Spike can let you leap onto some nice areas for semi-sniping and infiltration.

Remember Spike + Venom Canisters are also pretty decent for lane clear, as well.

I have a lot of fun playing her this way, easily one of my overall favorites.

Yeah, she was surprisingly fun. Also, if you take the skill that increases her health by killing Venomed enemies, her durability soars.

Koeta

You can see the progress in career-stats-heroes-unlock or something like that.

found it but it's odd, it lists stuff you haven't done even if you unlocked someone by rank and it doesn't tell you what rank unlocks anything there either like it did at the character screen. (which doesn't show the info anymore it just looks like they are all unlocked till I go into a game and a few are still locked)

so yea been playing more ambra and getting used to her. Still unsure about some helix choices. Like the first one. I feel like the sunspot increase damage is better but idk. Also not sure about the healing teammate one and the one w/ solar flare gets a push back.

Been having more success and fun w/ her in meltdown than I was in incursion. 17 more kills away from phoebe and nowhere close to unlocking deade lol. Anybody here try heliophage advance solo?

All right...just three more heroes to unlock: Phoebe, Ghalt and Deande.

Ghalt and Deande will unlock in one fell swoop. I've silver ranked all the story missions on Advanced...just one more to go: The Heliophage.

*gulp*

Wish me luck, fellas.

Menome

so yea been playing more ambra and getting used to her. Still unsure about some helix choices. Like the first one. I feel like the sunspot increase damage is better but idk. Also not sure about the healing teammate one and the one w/ solar flare gets a push back.

Been having more success and fun w/ her in meltdown than I was in incursion. 17 more kills away from phoebe and nowhere close to unlocking deade lol. Anybody here try heliophage advance solo?

Tried it, got all the way to the bit where it throws multiple bosses at you, and died at the last one. It's probably doable with the right character, I just haven't worked out what that character is yet.

Tried it, got all the way to the bit where it throws multiple bosses at you, and died at the last one. It's probably doable with the right character, I just haven't worked out what that character is yet.

Ive done some missions solo as isic and it's easy but idk about that one. Also I hear oscar mike or thorn isnt that bad

deoee

Ghalt and Deande will unlock in one fell swoop. I've silver ranked all the story missions on Advanced...just one more to go: The Heliophage.

*gulp*

Wish me luck, fellas.

We made it on gold the last time we did it :D

I can't imagine doing alle the missions on advanced and silver them tho :S

Menome

Heck, I'm still having trouble getting Silver on the normal versions of Renegade and Archive. The team keeps spreading out too much on the final defence bits.

Well, I did it. First attempt too, albeit I did lose a lot of lives. Getting silver on The Heliophage playing solo takes a degree of luck. It mainly comes down to whether or not you get the Varelsi Conservator as a boss during the boss rush section of the Rendain battle. If you get the Conservator, you can just farm extra score without killing it.

Thankfully, on Advanced mode, the boss rush sees fit to throw you TWO bosses at a time for three times. On Advanced mode, you are almost guaranteed to get the Conservator, on normal mode...maybe not.

Just Phoebe left to unlock. One command rank away from getting her, but...I'll wait until tomorrow.

I am actually genuinely interested in trying the story missions on Advanced in a 5 man. I get the feeling they'll be a good challenge.

Heliophage on normal was insane, so many enemies. It was fun.

In other news, I love Kelvin but I'm not sure how viable he is without a pocket healer :( Benedict annoys me: he's so nearly there, but requires such accuracy...

*gulp*

Wish me luck, fellas.

I did it solo with Galilea.

You know what's the best part about Galilea players?

They think there always invincible when they activate her special.

It was funny the first days, as people didn't notice the shadow is stillsusceptible to damage. But now it's changing, more and more people know how she works.

Z3M0G

It's odd that playing and enjoying the Overwatch beta made me MORE interested in this game... I tried this beta first and didn't even sit through a full match. But this game seems to have more content and the fact that it has a loot system is an immediate bonus.

Overwatch can be a nice quick-match game to have on the side of this... but I'm also already invested in Paragon with all my PS4 friends, and can't see myself playing both that and this...

Does this game also have a mode that typically has fast (under 10 min) matches?

Looking forward to Overwatch reviews to see how it stacks up against this in the end.

It was funny the first days, as people didn't notice the shadow is stillsusceptible to damage. But now it's changing, more and more people know how she works.
She is becoming the new Marquis in terms of spotting bad players to get easy kills. If you don't know how to fully utilize her abilities the right way she is completely useless.

Mossybrew

If you don't know how to fully utilize her abilities the right way she is completely useless.

Yeah I certainly felt that way playing her. And several other of the melee heroes too- I unlocked Attikus and tried a couple games with him and felt weak. I don't know if I have the patience to git gud with them when there are plenty of other heroes that I do much better with.

As soon as I get to character rank 15 with Deande I'm gonna play as Oscar Mike. I really liked his abilities when I used him to solo a story mission and I'm in the mood to play a shooter character.

The End

Yeah I certainly felt that way playing her. And several other of the melee heroes too- I unlocked Attikus and tried a couple games with him and felt weak. I don't know if I have the patience to git gud with them when there are plenty of other heroes that I do much better with.

Boldur is surprising strong in both capture and incursion if the other players on your team cooperate with you. his stun (and incredible durability) pairs well with some of the more glass cannon type characters.

Is there any skill based matchmaking in this game at all? Seems like my team or the other team gets rolled most of the time by people. Just seems like the teams are never particularly even.

Gryph

As soon as I get to character rank 15 with Deande I'm gonna play as Oscar Mike. I really liked his abilities when I used him to solo a story mission and I'm in the mood to play a shooter character.

What're you doing to level up, PVP?

I'm trying to find an effective way to level all these characters...

Is there any skill based matchmaking in this game at all? Seems like my team or the other team gets rolled most of the time by people. Just seems like the teams are never particularly even.

There's a confirmed ELO system operating behind the scenes. Gearbox says they're watching it closely and will tweak as necessary. Honestly though, uneven matches at this point are still probably due to not enough match-making data in the system. Most people just haven't played enough games...

ObiDin

*gulp*

Wish me luck, fellas.
Yeah, I'm down to Kleese, Ghalt, Deande and Melka I think. This game is addicting when it comes to the unlocks.

Mossybrew

•Doubled the health of stationary defense objectives in story mode

A much needed adjustment.

Sorry to see ISAC hit hard, he's one of my go-to heroes. But he was a beast, probably needed. Glad to see Miko tuned down just a bit, that wily bastard was so hard to kill.

What's the tutorial like in this game?

A decent intro to playing story mode, but won't prepare you at all for the main pvp mode, Incursion.

Top Bottom