• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

eagledare

I hear that getting thrown around a lot and I think it's completely broken. When a group of 50+ people who havent lost in 30+ games gets matched up against a group of sub level 10's something is wrong. They said they opened it up to lessen queue times after the hot fix but it was brutal today. We just ended up splitting up in different groups in hopes for full games and still couldn't get it. It's just busted.

Absolutely agree here. Last night we went 0-6, and every. single. match. was our group of level 15-ish average pitted against 40-ish average groups.

There's no way players with that much more time in the game don't have a much, much higher ELO, and the results of those matches bear that out. Every one of them was a slaughter. If they don't get this shit fixed I'm out.

So... does the game have any kind of anti-cheat?

Because I've seen 3 Marquis that made me think they were cheating. We are talking of them getting an easy 25-0 here.

Zafir

Absolutely agree here. Last night we went 0-6, and every. single. match. was our group of level 15-ish average pitted against 40-ish average groups.

There's no way players with that much more time in the game don't have a much, much higher ELO, and the results of those matches bear that out. Every one of them was a slaughter. If they don't get this shit fixed I'm out.

Yeah. My friend and I are at roughly the same level (in the 14-18 range, forget exactly which), and getting a very similar experience. We don't loose every game, but the majority are lopsided one way or another.

DarkKyo

I've had games where the enemy outranks us by 10-30 levels yet we still make them surrender, I feel like team make-up is the most important thing about the game, alongside skill of course.

Is this game any good with a controller? Due to a broken monitor I can't use my keyboard and mouse atm because I'm playing on a tv across the room, so I'm wondering how it is with controller support. Could I use a PS4 controller on the PC version and do alright?

I just won with two level 2 players, lol.

The most important factor from what I'm seeing is if you have "player killers" on your team, people who just want to play to kill the opponent. I had one Galilea today on my team who, in 25 minutes of game, only destroyed 4 minion bots. Four! That's one every six minutes! hell I think she destroyed them by accident.
In fact we lost the game because of her, as otherwise it was a pretty close game (as I said, it reached minute 25).

It's one thing that differentiates this game from traditional MOBAs, like LoL or Smite. Here you win by pushing the wave. In traditional MOBAs, you don't; you can just hold the line in the first tower for 15 minutes defensively, without particularly trying to destroy their towers, and it doesn't matter, you just want to kill the waves for xp/gold. Later you can join the rest of the team and push a lane until reaching the enemy base, as you win by destroying their base.

Here, it works by score, and every minion that reached their goal, and every enemy minion that your team ignores is one more point close to victory or defeat, respectively.

So PSA first kill the minion wave, and then fight the enemy players. Not in the reverse order!

gossi

The multiplayer modes Clan War and Freeze Tag are really good, guys. Freeze Tag in particular is great.

Edit; wrong thread, this isn't Doom.

Gryph

The most important factor from what I'm seeing is if you have "player killers" on your team, people who just want to play to kill the opponent. I had one Galilea today on my team who, in 25 minutes of game, only destroyed 4 minion bots. Four! That's one every six minutes! hell I think she destroyed them by accident.
In fact we lost the game because of her, as otherwise it was a pretty close game (as I said, it reached minute 25).

It's one thing that differentiates this game from traditional MOBAs, like LoL or Smite. Here you win by pushing the wave. In traditional MOBAs, you don't; you can just hold the line in the first tower for 15 minutes defensively, without particularly trying to destroy their towers, and it doesn't matter, you just want to kill the waves for xp/gold. Later you can join the rest of the team and push a lane until reaching the enemy base, as you win by destroying their base.

Here, it works by score, and every minion that reached their goal, and every enemy minion that your team ignores is one more point close to victory or defeat, respectively.

So PSA first kill the minion wave, and then fight the enemy players. Not in the reverse order!

Agreed. It kills me when I, usually as Orendi, kill the same amount of minions as the rest of my team put together...

Objective based gaming, as they say...

Menome

Finally beat The Archive with a group and we actually got a Gold rating for it!

Only leaves The Renegade to do now with a Silver rating and Kleese shall be mine. Ghalt can wait until I reach Rank 40.

The rules for surrendering need to change. If a person calls for a surrender it should automatically end the game after a minute unless the rest of the team says no.

If anybody mains Phoebe I'd really appreciate some clarification on something:

For "Sharpened Blades" and "Flurry" do these affect your primary attack?

Flurry
Increases Phoebe's primary melee attack speed. +20% Attack Speed.

Sharpened Blades
Phoebe's melee attacks deal increased damage. +18% Damage.

I know this sounds really stupid, but I want to make sure these actually affect your main sword swinging attack and not your "melee" move that all characters have that push enemies back. Especially since Flurry specifies "primary melee attack speed" while Sharpened Blades does not.

Enilced2

The rules for surrendering need to change. If a person calls for a surrender it should automatically end the game after a minute unless the rest of the team says no.

It is fine as it is. I tend not to vote unless I agree in a surrender because I am usually busy trying to play the game. And there have been too many times someone dies in the first push and starts trying to vote to surrender in a big huff

If anybody mains Phoebe I'd really appreciate some clarification on something:

For "Sharpened Blades" and "Flurry" do these affect your primary attack?

Flurry
Increases Phoebe's primary melee attack speed. +20% Attack Speed.

Sharpened Blades
Phoebe's melee attacks deal increased damage. +18% Damage.

I know this sounds really stupid, but I want to make sure these actually affect your main sword swinging attack and not your "melee" move that all characters have that push enemies back. Especially since Flurry specifies "primary melee attack speed" while Sharpened Blades does not.
Melee attacks are her main sword attacks including her secondary so yes it does and it's really good especially increasing her attack speed. The push-back move every character has never gets any stat changes.

Menome

I'm happy with it as is. The first few times people tried surrendering, I didn't even notice the vote going on in the corner and would have been pissed had we bailed out without me realising it.

Others may be too busy in combat to be able to vote and others still may not have worked out how to vote. It's simple, but the game never tells you how and how often are you going to hit Pause during a PVP match?

If the match is taking up someone's precious time and their vote to leave isn't going through, they can just disconnect.

No because tons of games involves someone putting up a vote to surrender because they're salty or something, not because there is no chance of winning. Why should we have to waste our time with that? And frequent disconnected should be put in their own pool to play amongst themselves.

Gryph

I don't know if I agree... But I'm not the surrendering type. I'll always fight to the bitter end...

El Dragon is interesting. I'm not doing very well with him, he is more an assassin, as he has high melee damage and mobility but not so much shield/life. He is kind of a glass cannon.

I've had games where the enemy outranks us by 10-30 levels yet we still make them surrender, I feel like team make-up is the most important thing about the game, alongside skill of course.

Is this game any good with a controller? Due to a broken monitor I can't use my keyboard and mouse atm because I'm playing on a tv across the room, so I'm wondering how it is with controller support. Could I use a PS4 controller on the PC version and do alright?
Yeah, I routinely find levels are almost meaningless when it comes to winning and losing. It's really only the very low levels who show problems, obviously because they've barely played the game. A high level might just mean they played tons of co-op.

I use an X1 controller on PC and I do pretty well. But you should probably bump up the default aiming speed. It starts really low.

WHAT

I don't want to have to waste gameplay time on pulling up a menu to vote against some salty douche. I vote when I can, but no vote should be considered the same as, uh, a no vote.

I just get super salty when it's as clear as day we are about to get steamrolled and my team doesn't want to end it. We're not making any effort to push back, we keep dying and feeding our opponents to where they are 3 - 4 levels higher than us, and we got an afk in our base. I just want to end it now.

Yeah, everyone has that feeling.

On the other hand, we all have that feeling when some idiot charges in and dies three times and then calls surrender due to sodium chloride overload.

It should never favour surrender positively.

In other news, I love this song. If anyone else knows of similar beats + piano choonz, hit me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta7xqFXTfeM

Oh Kleese, Kleese. People, please don't use it right now, he needs a buff. He is very big in size and he has low HP pool, so he dies in two seconds against Marquis. Which is a problem given the abundance of the sniper in the teams.

Neverwas

Oh Kleese, Kleese. People, please don't use it right now, he needs a buff. He is very big in size and he has low HP pool, so he dies in two seconds against Marquis. Which is a problem given the abundance of the sniper in the teams.

i've had some pretty amazing matches with him being a shield restoring, DoT zapping monster... on everything but Incusion. Seems I just get stomped there. By everyone.

Zafir

Oh I don't disagree. The problem is, a lot of the low level people you get matched with, don't realise that. Just because of their lack of experience. So they run off chasing a kill while you're getting pushed in.

I've seen people taking camps when the enemy is about to attack our robot. Like sure, take them before they push in, but like it's too late if they're about to hit the robot.

It reminds me of HotS in that respect, where some people had no idea when to take camps. You'd have people taking them when you have forts being pushed. Alternatively you have the opportunity to take a fort/keep after a team wipe and they decide to back off, take a camp and we get nothing out of the wipe because they're back up by the time the camp is dead.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

He needs to stay out of vision to be sure, but the amount of shield buff / debuff he gives is crazy, and he can have those little pods out on the field everywhere. It really seems to be his job to set up restore points when no one is looking, and basically work along with a more heal-centric support to make your team have health way-points all over the map.

He and Ambra are very good at supporting from a variety of positions at the same time when paired together.

I don't have him yet myself, but I look forward to playing him. I've seen players of him barely ever appear on the field, since they just set up heal points and stay far in the back lines, like a commander should, ha.

Mike's Airstrike with slowdown is just mean. Your pretty much done if your caught in it. I don't recommend the Danger Close mutation. Mike isn't a tank and the radius is severely reduced to the point where you have to stand next to your opponent.

Ambra can be pretty amazing. Out healed the enemy Miko and had the most kills. Her evolution that gives her Miko heal lite at level 3 makes her a pretty solid healer. A weaker Miko but with much higher damage than Miko.

Wubbys

Just started messing with calderius. I really wish his cooldowns werent so damn long. His mobility is insane but hes only really useful for harrass or sealing a team fight.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mike's Airstrike with slowdown is just mean. Your pretty much done if your caught in it. I don't recommend the Danger Close mutation. Mike isn't a tank and the radius is severely reduced to the point where you have to stand next to your opponent.

Yeah, Mike is so good like... everywhere. His Airstrike spawns faster than I want to give it credit for, and it's surprising how fast he can lay a bomb before you can escape. For being the boring normal shooty guy, he's a very solid character.

Ambra can be pretty amazing. Out healed the enemy Miko and had the most kills. Her evolution that gives her Miko heal lite at level 3 makes her a pretty solid healer. A weaker Miko but with much higher damage than Miko.

Agreed. She's a lot better than I first felt after Beta, and she's my preferred healer to play now (Reyna's a whole different ballgame). And her hella crazy Teacher-like personality is actually funny. Not at all what I expected at first, but now I quite like it. "I warned you! I warned ALL of you!"

Just started messing with calderius. I really wish his cooldowns werent so damn long. His mobility is insane but hes only really useful for harrass or sealing a team fight.

I felt this way at first too. He's kinda like Deande in that. He's suppose to be doing normal shooting and fighting more often, and just securing for the early game.Then by late game he's got power, cooldown reductions, a double sized clip, an Ult that wrecks teamfights, and a bomb that bleeds, blinds, damages, and overall just makes a mess and secures at large distances with a strong AoE.

I feel like characters like him, and even Mellka, really get solid feeling once you get late into their levels. Before that, you're missing things that really give you the flow you want (like venom on normal shots for Melly, love that.)

Late game toons are handled nicely I think. The power curve isn't anywhere near as extreme as on a hero like, say, Dota's Phantom Assassin. More viable at start, less apocalyptic at end, but still a definite power creep.

Xevren

Galilea still is insanely strong and tanky even after her damage nerf :(

Her damage is only part of the problem, they can't hotfix the rest so it will be when the patch comes. She won't be able to sprint and attack, and the desecrate effects will only apply when she uses it. Not gonna lie, that character gets me super salty.

Caim

He's still pretty good. I just finished up his lore challenges and got him to level 15. His size is his biggest problem problem for sure most of my deaths are usually due to me colliding with something or turning a corner but still dying because my chair was sticking out. I try to make sure I have rifts up at all times, you can even use them in Incursion to recover the shield of your sentry. Mortars do amazing damage especially with the Bouncing Balls of Doom mutation. Heal chair helix is an absolute must imo but I wish there was some indicator so my allies can come to me for health.

Stalk

Picked up the game last week as a time filler, really enjoying the actual gameplay. Orendi is really fun to play I find and the story missions are pretty solid. However... and maybe it's just that I'm a misery but I can't stand any of the character dialogue. It really throws me and makes me cringe honestly.

I can get past it though, it's a good drop in, drop out kind of deal for an hour or so.

However... and maybe it's just that I'm a misery but I can't stand any of the character dialogue. It really throws me and makes me cringe honestly.

I can get past it though, it's a good drop in, drop out kind of deal for an hour or so.

Well, it's Gearbox humor. You either like it, or you don't. I'm personally indifferent to Battleborn's dialogue. I find the dialogue less cringey than in Borderlands, though that might be because there's less. There's a few bits of dialogue that actually made me laugh, and they're from "The Algorithm" mission.

(during the Geoff boss fight, paraphrasing)

Geoff: Boss, I'm getting destroyed out here!

ISIC: Hmmm. Well, put up your shield and report here for upgrades, Geoff.

Geoff: It's "Arachnis".

ISIC: Fuck you!!

Basically, whenever ISIC curses, it gives me a chuckle, because he sounds so cheery as he does it.

Yeah, Mike is so good like... everywhere. His Airstrike spawns faster than I want to give it credit for, and it's surprising how fast he can lay a bomb before you can escape. For being the boring normal shooty guy, he's a very solid character.
Unlock his lore. His backstory is pretty interesting. There's a reason he's the stereotypical dudebro shooter guy.

ObiDin

God I love playing Kleese on Meltdown. He is a minion killing machine. I just have to kill 25+ minions and the team wins almost all the time, who cares about deaths. I've had 0 kills and 7 deaths but 45 minion kills and still won. Most of the time I only average 4-5 player kills and a ton of assists.

I think a further nerf to Galilea would be a major mistake. I tried a game without sprinting and attacking and it was impossible to secure a kill. She does much less damage than the other melee heroes.

What they should do is remove the level 3 mutation try that makes her do more damage at full HP. It's really outrageous and unbalanced. I can kill squishiest before the stun wears off without desecrate.

I think a further nerf to Galilea would be a major mistake. I tried a game without sprinting and attacking and it was impossible to secure a kill. She does much less damage than the other melee heroes.

What they should do is remove the level 3 mutation try that makes her do more damage at full HP. It's really outrageous and unbalanced. I can kill squishiest before the stun wears off without desecrate.
More damage at full HP? What's her average shield number?
Thank you :D this means I have alot more options for my build.

Her teleport with slowdown and increased attack speed makes her a poke monster. She not only instigates fights but finishes them. Phoebe is scary sometimes.

Xevren

It's absolutely insanely stupid for her to be able to sprint and attack, she's the ONLY character that can do it.

Top Bottom