• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Playing on PS4, and enjoyed the game until I tried Online Versus. Every team is Galilea/Luchador stomping everything in sight. Surrenders the instant you lose first cap or major fight. AFKs if you refuse. Why does game balance seem so fucked? I regret my purchase at this point.

Edit: My GOD the matchmaking is horrible. I was in a game where my team was all sub 14. Enemy team was presumably a premade, as they were all above level 60.
Why can't I mute teammates? I don't want to listen to mouth-breathers and crackling mics.

theyre making major balance changes by the end of month so hopefully itll be better, but I have been having success just by sticking w/ meltdown. Usually it works out alright w/ enjoyable games.

Unlocked phoebe yesterday and I like her. Idk if I want to learn her or deande. Ambra is still probably my go to character since I find her pretty enjoyable

also Id recommend joining the reddit discord for help in joining premades

Mossybrew

Why can't I mute teammates? I don't want to listen to mouth-breathers and crackling mics.

You can mute them individually before the match by clicking on their nameplate, or mute all during the match by bringing up the scoreboard with the touchscreen and hitting square.

Game balance is ok, it's more some iffy matchmaking/usual moba idiocy re: Surrenders.

Gal is not unstoppable, and she is getting nerfed. El Dragon is absolutely squashable.

jAtp788.jpg
I'm pretty hyped for Alani. I like her design. She's suppose to be another Eldrid healer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The worse enemy of new players isn't just matchmaking. The number levels can be fudged by people paying games in SP a lot, of just by lots of play.

The real enemy of teams is poor team composition. Galilea's shield and overall BS'ery sill get brought down pretty easily by a good AoE like Thorn or O.Mike flame bomb. Not to mention Ghalt's Claw and Trap, or Kleese's Gates.

Boldur and ISIC have a shield too, and it's stronger if I'm not mistaken.

The thing that annoys me most about higher Galilea's is the Suck-in on Desecrate. That's fitting for her territorial stuff, but I wish she'd be, say, stuck underground or something while it happened.

Rath outclasses Phoebe SO MUCH as a primary melee character on a team. She's great and can do very good much later on, but his damaging specials + Knock Up / Level One Stun through mutators is SO SOLID. Sure people can run out of damage fields, but not if you use knockup on them while they're in said field.

My biggest problem is less characters, and more how easily defenses can be squashed early game. When 1 or 2 characters can knock out your base rockets before the match is even really started, that's annoying, and saps money from your mid-lane pushing. I'd like to see weapons being invincible or double strength earlier on, so the strat wouldn't be as viable, and so it'd force people, even more so, to play the lane itself, rather than base bop and spawn camping.

Just had a fun match on incursion where the only reason we lost was some Toby putting up shields constantly and cheesing the sentry from afar. I'm baffled the game got to release with this bullshit. They didn't see this in any of the betas? Because I can't imagine it was intended.

zedge

sigh, this game feels like a mess right now. Its just not fun. (PVP)

I think I have lost (surrendered) about 6-7 matches in a row. The matchmaking is a complete joke.

Incursion on Overwatch has just become a Marquis cheese your turret from across the map fest. Not to mention the two hit kills this asshole seems to be able to get. Some of the other characters are so over powered its ridiculous.

My lasts match our team has less hero kills then Marquis him self on the other team. Was like 38-10. Marquis had 20 of those.

I'm probably just frustrated from losing every game lately but there it is. :/ Think I'll give it a break until there are some changes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Just had a fun match on incursion where the only reason we lost was some Toby putting up shields constantly and cheesing the sentry from afar. I'm baffled the game got to release with this bullshit. They didn't see this in any of the betas? Because I can't imagine it was intended.

I don't mind him being able to do it in a way, I just mind the fact the doesn't even have to put himself in danger to do it. I've seen what looks like Marquis sitting all the way back not on the mid-ledge, but on the area that houses the healing machine, sniping THROUGH the grates of the wall to hit the shields. I couldn't even see him to target and fire, lol.

Kleese can actually use his shield domes to restore the sentry's shields. Almost anyone can run in, drop an ult on shields, and then warp / run out. I'd prefer it if they made shields invinvible to player fire, and forced the bots to be the only thing that can drop them. Once that happens, sure, players should be able to cheese and pressure away. But before that?

Or maybe they could make the shields reflect a % of damage taken to the player character. This would make players attack the shield less, and make the desperate gambles more calculated and less frequent.

Incursion on Overwatch has just become a Marquis cheese your turret from across the map fest. Not to mention the two hit kills this asshole seems to be able to get. Some of the other characters are so over powered its ridiculous.

It's amazing how I've seen almost every character appear "OP" so far. Caldarius felt weak as hell to me at first, but I've seen him lead games over everyone on his side. I've seen Galilea+Miko teams who think they're obviously broke-tier, that died to Oscar Mike and a Montana.

This game has the same weaknesses of lots of co-op team games: Everyone wants to be the killing star, and not many want to be the support or the tank. And instead of realizing why they're doing bad (like picking a bunch of characters that only get really worthy after a few levels), they'd rather just give up before they get 1 or 2 levels, because "These guys suck!" or "everyone is OP!"

My lasts match our team has less hero kills then Marquis him self on the other team. Was like 38-10. Marquis had 20 of those.

I'm probably just frustrated from losing every game lately but there it is. :/ Think I'll give it a break until there are some changes.

I can understand the feeling. But it's really helpful to swallow the pain and learn the matchups rather than just get mad at it all. My first matches with Ghalt were TERRIBLE. Considering how "broke" many other players make him look, I felt really bad to always end up amongst the lowest of the team.

But then I started to learn what equip sets I wanted. I started to learn who to back up, and what I could be an answer to. I learned to pepper the minion walking lane with my Stun trap, and stop trying to just focus on Trap+Chain for hero kills.

I learned the chain is SO long, it can pull snipers out of spots, and bring them down for allies to kill. Or that instead of using it to initialize fights, I should use it to keep runners from escaping as they get weak.

It's not easy, but with the amount of characters in this game, almost every cheesy strategy ALREADY has a built in counter. Benedict seems HORRIDLY broken with his constant flight and glide, but then you learn Reyna's Heatseaking pulse shots after her Primary Target lock-on can make short work of such a thing. Galilea is uber powerful, but fields and far-range fire bring her in line fairly well. Ghalt has all the crowd control you need, as does Kleese, but if you sic' a Rath on either, they'll generally die out in short order.

Definitely not saying the game is perfectly balanced (I have stated my own grievances)but character matchups and team compo matters a lot more than player levels (which are largely insignificant as a barometer of skill), or even unlocked characters (as some of the strongest all-rounders are the characters you start with.)

Unlocked Ghalt this morning. My first game was rough (which lead to this asshole and his girlfriend talking shit even though we were all getting stomped.. MOBA communities, geez) but my other two were fantastic. He's so much fun to use. Not sure I like him as much as ISIC yet, he's my favorite.

ISIC is almost too good, though. He can DPS with anyone, has amazing defense, a great escape/CC move, and his Ult can last forever. I saw on Reddit something about a life steal gear on ISIC. I need to find that.

I'm pretty hyped for Alani. I like her design. She's suppose to be another Eldrid healer.

Thank god, another healer. I like Miko and Ambra but want to try something else

And on matchmaking-I've learned that rank really is no more than a measurement of how long they've been playing, and not a solid skill evaluation. I'm 33, been on teams with teens and single digits and we've blown through partied-up groups of 50+.

Game balance is ok, it's more some iffy matchmaking/usual moba idiocy re: Surrenders.

Gal is not unstoppable, and she is getting nerfed. El Dragon is absolutely squashable.

The smile on my face when I see Drag-on on the other team tho. That man is food for decent ranged players

Had a match this morning where the other team had Gal AND Rath AND Miko. I was Mellka and kept the whole works laced in venom but the rest of the team just wouldn't push

the issue w/ rath is when he does his knock up and gets below you, it becomes a free kill for him since you can't do shit while on top of his head. I hope they address that

Thank god, another healer. I like Miko and Ambra but want to try something else

And on matchmaking-I've learned that rank really is no more than a measurement of how long they've been playing, and not a solid skill evaluation. I'm 33, been on teams with teens and single digits and we've blown through partied-up groups of 50+.

The smile on my face when I see Drag-on on the other team tho. That man is food for decent ranged players

Had a match this morning where the other team had Gal AND Rath AND Miko. I was Mellka and kept the whole works laced in venom but the rest of the team just wouldn't push

Glad another healer is coming, aye.

CR rank is indicative of likely probabilities, more than guarantees. If it was hidden I think the whole business would feel much, much better. Tweaks to party matching would help too. That said, can't say I am put off the game much, I just find it too much damn fun. It pushes so many buttons for me.

As for Mellka. Man, I love her. She is an absolute terror, without ever feeling OP (imo). I spec her for lower recoil and faster reload (I use RT over LT/LMB over RMB/L2 over R2 [I guess?]) and have a legendary that buffs my attack dmg a bit and nerfs theirs. Then, irrespective of the map, I run about constantly, poisoning, poking, picking up stragglers, and nuking unsuspecting toons. She is so much fun.

Wow. Lots of complaints today.

1st. GIT GUD.

2nd. Stop surrendering after losing the first big fight in the game. Comebacks are a thing. It seems people prefer the easy option of giving up and claiming how unbalanced is the game, instead of trying or admitting they didn't play as well as they think.

3rd. The balance is mostly fine, there are a pair of heroes that I consider UP like Kleese or Whisky Tango but even them have their fans that swear by their abilities, and how it's an issue of changing the playstyle. There are also a pair of heroes that need a pair of subtle nerfs, but nothing big. No, I don't have special problems with Galilea (she doesn't do as much damage as Rath or Phoebe or El Dragon, but she is more tanky), the others can be focused and killed fast.

4th. The problem in Overgrowth (Incursion map) is known since the beta, they are going to fix it by modifying a bit the map. Choose always the other map for now.

5th. I had a pair of Marquis cheater some days ago. Thank god no more since then.

6th. Matchmaking is a problem, but it isn't because their system is TERRIBLE, it's because the player pool is small and in this kind of games you need a big one. If you have 10K players, 8500 of them are already in a game, so your true pool for matchmaking (people on the menu) are 1500. You can't join up in a game. It's one of the reasons of why making the game $60 was a bad idea.And they don't even have 10K in pc anymore, so the player pool is pretty small. Also they should hide the command rank level because people mistakenly think it should be used on matchmakiing, instead of ELO ranking.
Bad management of parties/premades is true, I will admit that.

adding a 7th...

One of the problems the game has is that it's a bit like a MOBA, but people are still not doing the planning stage like iin MOBAs, they don't decide what lanes are going to cover in the setup, they don't choose what heroes are going to play depending on the team composition, or they go farming crystals when most people on the team are dead (so no one is covering the objective) the game is still mostly a clusterfuck in that regard. So by pure random chance, sometimes your team doesn't have a good composition and the enemy team has a good one, so a bloodbath ensues, unless they are pretty bad playing.
MOBAs meta is very rigid, but it got started for good reasons.

Sometimes a Meltdown game starts, I got to the right lane... and notice I'm alone, because the other four players chose the left lane and no one thought of switching because he wasn't needed there and I needed help to not get pushed.

I get the feeling PC is actually the smallest of the three platforms for this game. Not sure what I base that on though. Probably some half-understood stat from a trawl of some godwaful sales thread that I shouldn't have clicked on.

I don't think "GIT GUD" is the right opinion to say to someone being frustrated by other players not picking up the pace and following the rules of MOBA. I consider myself pretty good at this game when it comes to fully understanding what my character's role is and I've played my share of LoL back in the day so I know how important it is to guide my minions, but all that doesn't mean anything if my team can't back me up. This is one of those games where if your in a shitty team, yeah, it's kinda over. Your gonna get steamrolled. That's why I said we're still in the learning phases of this game cuz the majority of console players don't understand how a MOBA or even a Hero shooter works.
I get the feeling PC is actually the smallest of the three platforms for this game. Not sure what I base that on though. Probably some half-understood stat from a trawl of some godwaful sales thread that I shouldn't have clicked on.

PC version is struggling. The console version, from what I've heard, is slowly picking up.

Mossybrew

The real enemy of teams is poor team composition.

This. I don't get intimidated when I see a bunch of high player levels before a match, I might get intimidated when I see a solid lineup of heroes on the other side vs. what our team has picked. I've long since gotten over trying to pick my favorite characters right away, and now just wait to see what hole I can fill in our roster as teammates pick their heroes.

Anyway I can't complain about matchmaking as I've had quite even results lately.

I will complain about El Dragon being made out of tissue paper. I really want to like him but I had such an awful Meltdown match last night that it was flat out embarrassing how many times I died. And I was trying to play to his hit&run style, it just wasn't happening.

Slathe

Has gearbox said any more about changes that are coming down the pipe since last week's battle plan and that twitch steam interview from about two weeks ago?

I'm really hoping they solve the amd issue soon because I think that will more realistically open up the second map as a viable option in meltdown and incursion.

Gurrry

I really hope they add a traditional moba mode down the line. This game has the characters that can do it.

I honestly think it would shoot a massive amount of life into the game.

I do enjoy Meltdown and Incursion, but I honestly think a traditional moba mode would be the #1 played map in the game.

I really hope they add a traditional moba mode down the line. This game has the characters that can do it.

I do enjoy Meltdown and Incursion, but I honestly think a traditional moba mode would be the #1 played map in the game.
What do you mean by "traditional moba"? A map with three lanes and destroying turrets at each checkpoint?

Eh, I don't agree with that. I really don't want another MOBA, I like they did their own thing, just taking inspiration. I like the bi shorter rounds and the constant action.

Orca

I've been playing during my lunch hours and really loving Orendi. I have some issues early on with most players, but once I get some levels in there's a reckoning...a blasting, kiting reckoning that makes people crazy.

Thorn is the same way for me. I find the bow shots are too hard to get lined up in any kind of real action, but when the blight is upgraded somewhat it gets a lot easier to hold my own.

Tried Benedict after a teammate had over 100 minion kills with him and he wasn't the character for me at first crack. Maybe I'll give him another chance when I get tired of some others. Pretty close to unlocking Galilea, who I LOVE the look of, but I'm not sure a melee will be the character for me.

Xevren

Starting to regret my purchase of this after last night and tonight. I tend to play with 1 other person and we just can't find anyone to play against on the other team. Just no one shows up. Wondering if something is broken with the ELO system or whatever. I just want to play but not sitting in matchmaking for 30 damn minutes at a time.

Gryph

Starting to regret my purchase of this after last night and tonight. I tend to play with 1 other person and we just can't find anyone to play against on the other team. Just no one shows up. Wondering if something is broken with the ELO system or whatever. I just want to play but not sitting in matchmaking for 30 damn minutes at a time.

That sucks man. You're pretty high command level right? I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

I have a big project eating up my time, so I haven't been able to jump in for the past two days.

Xevren

That sucks man. You're pretty high command level right? I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

I have a big project eating up my time, so I haven't been able to jump in for the past two days.

I'm around command lvl 80, and my friend is at 90. Just gonna hope it goes better tomorrow night.

20 minute queues for Incursion on PS4. Which game flopped harder, Battleborn or Evolve?

You can mute them individually before the match by clicking on their nameplate, or mute all during the match by bringing up the scoreboard with the touchscreen and hitting square.

That is inexcusably dumb.

Haven't had any issues with wait times on Xbone. I would assume PS4 outsold Xbone.

I think I am done with Ghalt though, his hit box on his shotgun and his hook are just too janky for me. Especially the shotguns. Whether you get a hit or not just seems random. I can chain + trap stun a Thrall and take him out with 6 shots. Next time I might only connect with two shots from me entire clip, even at point blank range. Same thing happens against other players and minions. It's garbage. Which sucks, because I was most looking forward to him out of everyone. Hopefully they fix it.

At least ISIC is still a blast to use. And now I can try other people.

Hey, I finally got into a game! Then a team member went afk!

What are you complaining about? Do you want to be able to mute them telepathically or something?

Or mute them during the match. Individually. Like literally every other online game that was released the past 2 years.

Hey, I finally got into a game! Then a team member went afk!

Or mute them during the match. Individually. Like literally every other online game that was released the past 2 years.

Ah, yeah it is kind of annoying that you can mute individuals mid-match. A lot of times people wait until then to play country music at full volume -_-

I've had like 5-10 min waits at most on PS4 (in Japan no less)

Yeah, not getting long queues on XB1.

I noticed Battleborn was a top seller in digital downloads on Xbox. It was like #4. Something tells me the SMITE players on Xbox are helping the game out cuz the most recent players I've matchmaked with all have SMITE on their achievement list.

I noticed Battleborn was a top seller in digital downloads on Xbox. It was like #4. Something tells me the SMITE players on Xbox are helping the game out cuz the most recent players I've matchmaked with all have SMITE on their achievement list.

SMITE has been a hit with many of my chums on X1, so, anecdotally, this makes sense. That said my two 'best SMITE friends' haven't (yet) got Battleborn, and I currently find SMITE really boring in comparison (don't get me wrong, I love the game really)!

Re: PS4 issues, the Battleborn reddit is full of people complaining about Battleborn on PSN yesterday - seems like there was a PSN issue that hit BB particularly badly.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Re: PS4 issues, the Battleborn reddit is full of people complaining about Battleborn on PSN yesterday - seems like there was a PSN issue that hit BB particularly badly.

It's not just BB. Uncharted 4 and other online games were affected as well. I can't even play Uncharted 4 MP because of PSN issues.

MrPanic

They were already selling the PC version of Battleborn here for 30 bucks, so I just picked it up. Seemed like an appropriate price to pick this game up for.

I had a pair of Marquis cheater some days ago. Thank god no more since then.

I've encountered this 4 times now on PC.

Each game their marquis had between 30-35 kills and 0 deaths and they were pulling off crazy shit like headshotting my teammates and I as they were running away in the opposite direction.

When you play FPS on PC for long enough, you can immediately tell the difference between someone with a ton of skill that excels in a game and someone that is doing things in the game that simply can't be done thanks to autoaim and stuff like that.

Of course I was super shocked to see that all 4 people had previous VAC bans's on their accounts, who could have guessed >.<

Each game their marquis had between 30-35 kills and 0 deaths and they were pulling off crazy shit like headshotting my teammates and I as they were running away in the opposite direction.

When you play FPS on PC for long enough, you can immediately tell the difference between someone with a ton of skill that excels in a game and someone that is doing things in the game that simply can't be done thanks to autoaim and stuff like that.

Of course I was super shocked to see that all 4 people had previous VAC bans's on their accounts, who could have guessed >.<

I don't know how the VAC bans works... aren't they permanent? I suppose not, given this context.

deoee

Yeah had this on sunday too.
Cheater @Marquis landing EVERY shot he fired. was really hard to get by him.
But in the end we crushed his team and won :v)

Orca

Can't link the image at work since every image host is blocked, but this drove me nuts last night. Nobody else on my team seemed to understand how the 'capture the points' thing worked, they just kept running into the middle to fight and die.

deoee

Can't link the image at work since every image host is blocked, but this drove me nuts last night. Nobody else on my team seemed to understand how the 'capture the points' thing worked, they just kept running into the middle to fight and die.

Sadly you can't do anything against stupidity :(

I requested that the library order both versions of the game in, and they are. So I'll borrow it and finish the campaign that way. That's all I really want to do.

deoee

I requested that the library order both versions of the game in, and they are. So I'll borrow it and finish the campaign that way. That's all I really want to do.

You're really missing out on the best part of the game ^^

PvP is so much more fun than the campaign stuff IMO

Top Bottom