• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

You're really missing out on the best part of the game ^^

PvP is so much more fun than the campaign stuff IMO

I played some, and it was okay. I'll play more when I borrow it, but I didn't like it enough to keep the copy I'd purchased when I could get my money back.

yep, this is a moba alright.

sucks the game encourages shitty behavior like reminding you to taunt after getting a kill. even some of the character dialogue can be rage inducing.

Things like GIT GUD are said (at least from me) as tongue in cheek. Though there is a nugget of truth: you need to get good aka at least play a few dozens of hours, therefore reaching a high level in the game to be knowledgeable about it, before that it's hard to judge accurately the balance of the game of this type.

Gryph

There now promoting new heroes in the main menu so I predict we'll be getting Alani soon in June.

Looks like we're getting a fat bird buddy for Benedict, and some sort of squid shark person? Hard to tell...

Here it is for the interested folks.

Sorry for the bad quality.

13235416_590570949611_8664418438719464887_o_zpstzswmumm.jpg

Xevren

Looks like we're getting a fat bird buddy for Benedict, and some sort of squid shark person? Hard to tell...

The bird will apparently be using a grenade launcher, heard that not too long ago.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's an interesting guess. I always pegged that as Snake person.

The bird will apparently be using a grenade launcher, heard that not too long ago.

Really? If that's in case, I'm looking forward to try him. He look like a chubby penguin.

So I tried to do the ISIC level on Advanced because I saw on this website that there are multiple AWESOME legendary drops you can get on the level. I got to ISIC, got him about halfway dead, and he gave up? I was also using ISIC... this ever happen to anyone? wtf. I got 0 loot from ISIC.

Gryph

That's an interesting guess. I always pegged that as Snake person.

Or that I guess. I just saw the wide head and thought basking shark.

The tongue certainly makes it look like a snake...

So I tried to do the ISIC level on Advanced because I saw on this website that there are multiple AWESOME legendary drops you can get on the level. I got to ISIC, got him about halfway dead, and he gave up? I was also using ISIC... this ever happen to anyone? wtf. I got 0 loot from ISIC.

Nah, I've never had that happen. I've failed by running the time out on a mission, but I've never had the boss give up...

Xevren

I hope Alani is coming soon cuz Miko just got the bat and Ambra is really more of a murderer than a healer

That nerf on miko really isn't noticeable to me at all. I always run with healing gear and once I hit level 2 I can go back to full health pretty fast still.

Menome

Is it me, or does the shilouette on the far right look like Rendain?

Thorn is such a slow burn. Her Volley and Blight can do so much damage at max level.

Imo she is tricky in the sense that people at first she is the typical archer, with high damaging skillfull aimed shots... and she is a powerhouse because the two very damaging aoe skills she has! Which is the opposite of skillful aimed shots, just throw a big circle on the ground and see people die.

I'm slowly liking the game's humor. It's not as much internet humor like Borderlands as people make it out to be. I don't understand how Dan from GB thinks every character is trying to be Tiny Tina. Almost everyone is pretty tame and serious with a side of quirkiness.
Imo she is tricky in the sense that people at first she is the typical archer, with high damaging skillfull aimed shots... and she is a powerhouse because the two very damaging aoe skills she has! Which is the opposite of skillful aimed shots, just throw a big circle on the ground and see people die.
She also has a fast recharge timer on her skills. Another Blight is ready to go after about 15 seconds.

Man, I'm loving Orendi. She might be my favorite aesthetic design out of all the characters, I love the way she looks. I also enjoy her dialogue. Even though Ashly Burch voices her, I don't get a Tiny Tina vibe from Orendi...maybe because I like Orendi and I don't care for Tiny Tina.

Most of all, I simply love, love, love her burst damage. Once she has her "Pillarstorm" helix mutation, she can almost insta-gib enemy heroes. She reminds me a lot of Ah Puch from Smite, in that her burst damage is crazy high. She's super squishy, but at least she has a reliable escape mechanic. Now I need to work on "Nullify Jumping" as a mobility option.

Hope the far left is Nova in her robot suit.

It has to be. I mean, that dialogue in "The Saboteur" had to be a tease.

"Kleese, are you putting me in the robot suit for this mission?! Please say you are!"

"No, not this time Nova."

Dying for The Sabateur to get fixed. I first mainly played the campaign but switched to mp mainly because of it. Getting 30 minutes into something only for the thing you're guarding to die super fast is disheartening and I've tried it at least 5 times.

Have had a great time with the mp lately, people really seem to overall understand the game more the last 4 I played were down to the wire.

Hey, everybody! Gearbox released a new Battleborn Battleplan!

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/battleborn-battleplan-5-19-16/1462181

Most notable tidbits:

• There will be a Double XP event(for both Command and Character rank) starting this Friday the 20th, and goes on until Wednesday the 25th.
  • Advanced Story Mode Queue is coming soon(might already be live?)
  • Alani is coming on May 31st. She'll cost 47,500 credits, and will be free for season pass owners. She'll be available on the 24th for people who got the Digital Deluxe version or played in the PS4 Beta.

Orca

Man, I'm loving Orendi. She might be my favorite aesthetic design out of all the characters, I love the way she looks. I also enjoy her dialogue. Even though Ashly Burch voices her, I don't get a Tiny Tina vibe from Orendi...maybe because I like Orendi and I don't care for Tiny Tina.

Most of all, I simply love, love, love her burst damage. Once she has her "Pillarstorm" helix mutation, she can almost insta-gib enemy heroes. She reminds me a lot of Ah Puch from Smite, in that her burst damage is crazy high. She's super squishy, but at least she has a reliable escape mechanic. Now I need to work on "Nullify Jumping" as a mobility option.

Yeah, I love when enemies group up in a battle when I have my abilities all available. Jump in with shadowfire, fire the ultimate, then backflip the hell out.

Gurrry

Alani coming out 24th for season pass owners, 30th for others.

HOWEVER, Alani will cost you 47 THOUSAND credits to unlock if you dont have the season pass.

I am currently getting around 300 credits for a loss, 600 for a win. At that rate, it will take around 80+ games to get enough.

So for all 5 "free" characters, it will take around 500 games to earn 235,000 credits to get them all. Each game is roughly 20 minutes, so that equates to about 160 hours of grinding.

I dont know about you guys but that seems like a shit ton of credits. They didnt mention if there would be an alternative way to unlock her like the other characters have, so at this point, I can only assume that grinding for credits is the only way.

Im not necessarily against it completely, but I think 47k is a tad bit steep.

I'm slowly liking the game's humor. It's not as much internet humor like Borderlands as people make it out to be. I don't understand how Dan from GB thinks every character is trying to be Tiny Tina. Almost everyone is pretty tame and serious with a side of quirkiness.

Im not a big fan of the humor either but Dan seems to be very dismissive with this game. He doesnt understand mobas, so its not surprising he didnt like battleborn.

Hero keys are only for season pass holders?

They don't specify that. So far, they seem to be only for season pass/digital deluxe holders? I hope they're something you can buy using the in game credits, and I hope they aren't too pricey.

An official blog was posted on the website with more details regarding the hero keys. It seems that they're reusable. You use the key on a hero, and you get the key back once you fulfill the conditions that would normally unlock the character. Example: use a key to unlock Ghalt, and you get the key back once you hit Level 40/Get all Silver on Advanced. I...guess that's a good alternative to making more heroes unlockable from the start?

Lucifon

47,500 credits though... As if the unlocks of heroes and credit earning itself isn't already grindy enough. Gearbox doing itself no favours there.

There's just no speedy way to earn credits, it's all a massive grind. Packs are overpriced for what they contain. And now heroes are way overpriced too.

47,500 credits though... As if the unlocks of heroes and credit earning itself isn't already grindy enough. Gearbox doing itself no favours there.

There's just no speedy way to earn credits, it's all a massive grind. Packs are overpriced for what they contain. And now heroes are way overpriced too.

Agreed. Double XP events should at least also be double credits too if Gearbox ain't willing to slash prices or do "sales" very often.

Xevren

I'd prefer double credits over double xp. Only thing that feels slow is character levels once you get to 12 and after getting one to master I think I'm good on ever doing that again.

Gurrry

Im starting to think that this game is headed for a F2P model in about a year. Especially since the player base could see a dramatic drop once these other FPS Mobas come out (OW, Paragon, etc).

They have alot of systems already in place that would lend itself to being F2P.

Lucifon

Agreed. Double XP events should at least also be double credits too if Gearbox ain't willing to slash prices or do "sales" very often.
To be honest they can't afford to make mistakes like this. They need to be making player friendly decisions for the game to have a chance to maintain a steady flow of players and be smart with improving it over time. Adding characters which require an epic grind but trying to spin it as a good thing because they're free just rubs me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong it's great they're free, but when you're making me play a stupid amount of hours to earn them it becomes almost a pointless gesture.

Gryph

It's bad enough I blow all my credits on loot packs hoping to unlock a secret taunt and skin for a character I like.

Haha, I did the same... Still don't have the one I want...

To be honest they can't afford to make mistakes like this. They need to be making player friendly decisions for the game to have a chance to maintain a steady flow of players and be smart with improving it over time. Adding characters which require an epic grind but trying to spin it as a good thing because they're free just rubs me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong it's great they're free, but when you're making me play a stupid amount of hours to earn them it becomes almost a pointless gesture.

I don't disagree, but I'd wait for the hero releases and see what happens. Gearbox has been really communicative about this game. We might see credit increases, hero price reductions, or alt methods of unlocking the DLC heroes in the future...

Everything Gearbox has said and done after the release of Battleborn seems to show that they're really listen to the fanbase...

Im starting to think that this game is headed for a F2P model in about a year. Especially since the player base could see a dramatic drop once these other FPS Mobas come out (OW, Paragon, etc).

They have alot of systems already in place that would lend itself to being F2P.
Their F2P version of the game would probably be:

No campaign.
No objectives to unlock heroes. Credits only.
1 hero from each faction free from the start.
Double the cost of credits to buy loot packs and heroes only for F2P owners.

I wrote a review for this game.

http://vgfirst.com/battleborn-review-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts/

I've been playing it on and off, really like it though, it's just I really like Uncharted 4 multiplayer, Doom and Overwatch too. I really enjoy the lore system and appreciate that their are trophies for each character. It's really neat.

Their F2P version of the game would probably be:

No campaign.
No objectives to unlock heroes. Credits only.
1 hero from each faction free from the start.
Double the cost of credits to buy loot packs and heroes only for F2P owners.

Hero rotation would make a lot more sense otherwise you'd have the game flooded with the free heroes.

Gurrry

Just did the isaac story mission on regular difficulty to get more credits. Took the team 30 minutes. Got a little more than 1k credits.

Hey I only need to do it 44 more times!

Why do you need 45,000 credits exactly?

For the DLC characters. They're added to the game for free, but require 45,500 credits to unlock.

There may yet be secondary requirements to unlock them. For now, it's either grind the credits or buy the season pass.

EDIT: There's also the "hero keys", though we don't have all the details on those yet. The only details we have is that a single key unlocks a locked hero, and you get the key back once you complete the unlock requirements for that hero.

For the DLC characters. They're added to the game for free, but require 45,500 credits to unlock.

There may yet be secondary requirements to unlock them. For now, it's either grind the credits or buy the season pass.

EDIT: There's also the "hero keys", though we don't have all the details on those yet. The only details we have is that a single key unlocks a locked hero, and you get the key back once you complete the unlock requirements for that hero.

Oh I see.

It actually says they require 47,500 credits to unlock, which is even slightly more.

Glad I have the season pass now, that amount seems huge and I won't be playing the game enough to get 237,500 for all characters. At least, not without dedicating all of my currency to that, meaning no loot or skins...

Gurrry

Oh I see.

It actually says they require 47,500 credits to unlock, which is even slightly more.

Glad I have the season pass now, that amount seems huge and I won't be playing the game enough to get 237,500 for all characters. At least, not without dedicating all of my currency to that, meaning no loot or skins...

exactly. these types of games rely on 2 things. characters and skins. both of which cost an asinine amount of credits compared to what you get when you win.

winning isnt easy in this game. i think if they bumped up the rewards for completing/winning a game, there would be less quitting and way less complaining about the 47,500 credits needed per character.

Top Bottom