• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Yaster

Sounds like they're going for the same model as Street Fighter 5. All DLC characters are technically free, but you will need to have spent a LOT of time in game in order to get them.

You might want to do what I am doing with SF5, saving my fight money until a character I want becomes available. But Street Fighter is allowing us to "trial" new characters as they come out. Hopefully Battleborn also follows this part of the model.

Isn't the 47k more or less par for the course when comparing to the cost in relation to time spent getting a new Operator in R6 Siege or a new fighter in SFV? I don't feel like this is that extreme.

It only seems like a lot to me in that, if you are the person who enjoys this game that much that you are going to play the hundreds of games it takes to unlock them...why wouldn't you just buy the season pass? You'd more than get your money's worth...of course, that goes for the other games too...

Lucifon

Just did the isaac story mission on regular difficulty to get more credits. Took the team 30 minutes. Got a little more than 1k credits.

Hey I only need to do it 44 more times!

So if you were literally jumping straight into this mission back to back (no matchmaking or pre match setup time), completing it every time, and getting 1k credits, it'd take roughly 23.5 hours to unlock the character. Once you factor in matchmaking, match setup, rewards screens, failing missions etc (probably 10-15 minutes each) you're looking at a hell of a lot longer.

And that's just purely mainline grinding a single character without treating yourself to any pack unlocks etc.

I swear I've come out of pvp matches (which are by far the most fun imo and where I spend most my time) after 30 mins with a few hundred credits as a reward...

Gurrry

If the season pass exclusive skins are good I might consider getting it.

This is what im waiting for.

I dont like buying season passes without knowing exactly what I get with it. Right now, its SP content (not interested in that), character unlock keys, and skins.

So basically.. it all comes down to hats.

Isn't the 47k more or less par for the course when comparing to the cost in relation to time spent getting a new Operator in R6 Siege or a new fighter in SFV? I don't feel like this is that extreme.

It only seems like a lot to me in that, if you are the person who enjoys this game that much that you are going to play the hundreds of games it takes to unlock them...why wouldn't you just buy the season pass? You'd more than get your money's worth...of course, that goes for the other games too...

Due to match length in Battleborn, if you were playing multiplayer games, it takes almost twice as long per character here. I happen to own Siege and SFV too, and this is definitely going to take people the longest amount of time, of the three of them.

SFV character unlocks are super fast because you can do single player stuff to do them, but it depends on how good at the game you are as to whether that will be easy or hard, but you can unlock all of the characters just by beating the basic singleplayer stuff on that game. It's very different.

That said, they don't have to give an avenue for people to unlock this without cash. I think the season pass is very reasonably priced. Personally there's no chance I would try to save the 237500 required here because of how essential credits are for enjoying the rest of the game. You get 5 extra characters but you probably miss out on 20+ skins, and loads and loads of good loot in the process. No thank you. I'd rather just pay the £15. The season pass adds single player missions, skins and taunts too, so it seems well worth it, it has a far greater value proposition than either Siege or SFV's season passes.

Gurrry

So if you were literally jumping straight into this mission back to back (no matchmaking or pre match setup time), completing it every time, and getting 1k credits, it'd take roughly 23.5 hours to unlock the character. Once you factor in matchmaking, match setup, rewards screens, failing missions etc (probably 10-15 minutes each) you're looking at a hell of a lot longer.

And that's just purely mainline grinding a single character without treating yourself to any pack unlocks etc.

I swear I've come out of pvp matches (which are by far the most fun imo and where I spend most my time) after 30 mins with a few hundred credits as a reward...

Dont forget that people always surrender early in pvp games, yielding you only around 70ish credits for the all the time spent getting into the game, playing it, and finding another one.

I think an increase of credits all around would fix this issue. They also need to up the chance at being awarded a loot pack for winning pvp games as well.

Gryph

Dont forget that people always surrender early in pvp games, yielding you only around 70ish credits for the all the time spent getting into the game, playing it, and finding another one.

I think an increase of credits all around would fix this issue. They also need to up the chance at being awarded a loot pack for winning pvp games as well.

I hope we'll see this... The obsessive in me wants all the skins and taunts, and that means a lot of loot packs that I need to buy.

I'm just glad I can't spend real money... I'm such a whale...

Gryph

Too grindy, way too grindy. It's just a system to make people buy the season pass.

Yes? I mean, isn't that the point? They've made content and they'd much prefer you to pay for it rather then unlock it for free?

I'm not saying we should thank them for it, but I don't think it's a secret or anything...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just bought the digital guardians edition or whatever they call it as I definitely wanted the extra story missions and to not have to grind for characters and the other crap. I'd rather just pay more and enjoy all the content.

Yes? I mean, isn't that the point? They've made content and they'd much prefer you to pay for it rather then unlock it for free?

I'm not saying we should thank them for it, but I don't thinks it's a secret or anything...
I wish there was an objective option to work towards. Like unlocking her at rank 50. For me the only reason I would want the season pass is if the skins are any good cuz right now I don't see value in it.

Gryph

I wish there was an objective option to work towards. Like unlocking her at rank 50. For me the only reason I would want the season pass is if the skins are any good cuz right now I don't see value in it.

I hear ya. I bought the season pass as soon as I finished my first play through, I knew I wanted those PVE levels...

But that means I don't have a clear perspective on what grinding for those characters is really going to be like.

Guys, what are your thoughts on melee characters?

I admit I am mostly ranged (Mellka, Reyna, Miko, Ambra, Oscar Mike etc), but I love me some Kelvin and Attikus when I get the right team comp. Both do crazy damage and have excellent CC, but it feels like they can be too easy to kite, and keeping track of targets in the scrum can be very, very hard.

I realise it's another set of skills, some of which I am still developing, but I was wondering what you thought about their general strength vs ranged. Rath, Phoebe and others like that have blinks/easier CC/cloak etc.

I'm not saying we should thank them for it, but I don't think it's a secret or anything...

But it's a trick related to publicity. They could say before the game how they were going to release more heroes and how they would be FREE, how they wouldn't split the multiplayer community, etc... the truth is, it had a hidden side. "free", in quotes.

Gurrry

I admit I am mostly ranged (Mellka, Reyna, Miko, Ambra, Oscar Mike etc), but I love me some Kelvin and Attikus when I get the right team comp. Both do crazy damage and have excellent CC, but it feels like they can be too easy to kite, and keeping track of targets in the scrum can be very, very hard.

I realise it's another set of skills, some of which I am still developing, but I was wondering what you thought about their general strength vs ranged. Rath, Phoebe and others like that have blinks/easier CC/cloak etc.

Personally, I love the melee characters. Rath's juggle ability is really awesome and I love being an assassin with Pheobe. Being able to blink in and out is so much fun. She is probably the first character I will have mastered.

The only melee character I didnt really like was El Dragon, but I think its just because hes alot harder to use. I want to eventually learn him as well though.

Xevren

Personally, I love the melee characters. Rath's juggle ability is really awesome and I love being an assassin with Pheobe. Being able to blink in and out is so much fun. She is probably the first character I will have mastered.

The only melee character I didnt really like was El Dragon, but I think its just because hes alot harder to use. I want to eventually learn him as well though.

El Dragon is awesome but it takes some levels before he gets there. Once you get to level 5 in a match he can be terrifying due to en fuego. Just don't be like most El Dragon's and use clothesline to initiate, gotta save it to leave. He's so squishy and just bleeds, no CC until level 5 so really have to pick your battles.

Melee characters are the heavy hitters of Battleborn. Rath and Phoebe can mess you up real good when they trap you at the right moment. Basically, avoid getting slowed when your next to a melee characters otherwise your done.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's a lot of credits to earn a character. OTOH, who cares? It's new work added to the game that's "free", and all you gotta do to pay for it is play. Much preferred to being locked behind season pass only, and the Season Pass isn't even that expensive.

Want to hear more about her skills, wish we at least saw an action shot!

Any guides or tips out there for matching gear with characters? I could use the help!

Keep this in mind: The minuses don't matter at all the certain characters. For example, Eldrid don't have shields to speak of, so using items that lower shield regen don't effective them negatively. Characters that have high HP don't lose much from items that take away their max HP, and the attack power / speed gain can be very positive.

Cheaper build cost is nice because it lets you spend money on guns and buildables quicker, which is a solid source of EXP. FOr characters that have a hard time leveling due to poor lane clear, this can be a nice boon. Gun kills and assist also count towards your totals, which again help you level.

Menome

Also keep an eye out: There's grey versions of the +2 Shards per second gear that have 0 cost thanks to their minuses, which can be inconsequential.

Having a constant stream of credits from the very start of a round makes the more expensive gear more feasible.

Primarily Orendi, but I want to start using Benedict and Caldarius!

I wish I wasn't total trash with melee/tank characters. I love El Dragon, but I just do so much more work with Orendi :/
For Orendi I would focus on equipping items that lessen the cool down timer on her skills and maybe buffing her shields. When I look to equip items I look at my character's strengths and try to find the right combination of items to enhance them. Thorn can regenerate health so I equip her an item that makes her regen faster.

Hype about that Alani news. Will be trying her out immediately (as will many others I'm sure)

About melee characters: they pretty much all need team back up and to know when to hang back or retreat. I have so many games where someone picks Kelvin or Dragon and regardless of team make up, rushes in to die several times in a row and then calls for surrender. Everyone's weak against 2 or more opponents at first so it's better to build stuff, beat up minions, and help pick off wounded enemies until you get a few levels.

Xevren

Also keep an eye out: There's grey versions of the +2 Shards per second gear that have 0 cost thanks to their minuses, which can be inconsequential.

Having a constant stream of credits from the very start of a round makes the more expensive gear more feasible.

I've been using these since beta, I love them.

Seem to be destroying people with thorn at the moment

https://twitter.com/ChronoJoe/status/733521847178825730

Her damage potential is so huge, yet I don't see anyone else taking advantage of her. I regularily more than double the damage output of my team mates. In that match shown in the tweet, my damage hits 180,000, the closest ally is 110,000, but most of them have around 50,000, and the opposing team even less. Their total damage is 220,000... for five characters... I was putting out more damage than four of them combined. Insane. Obviously part of that is that they were bad, and my team mates weren't much better, but it's a common occurrence in more than just this game. Thorns damage is ridiculous.

Thorn is crazy good, high damage, high sustain (with passive regen plus regen items), high suitability (high-jump plus a good health item). Biggest drawback has got to be her health and lack of shield that issue with the health boosts.

At higher levels of play I'd probably need to be more worried about stuns and pulls, but at the moment it's pretty easy to reek havoc on the teams that crop up in public games. Stops mattering so much that my team are terrible if I'm getting 20-30 kills a game, it gives them a lot of leeway to play dumb and still win.

With all of that said, I have yet to see another good Thorn player. I've said this before but most teams seem to have a token trashy sniper who doesn't have a clue what he's doing, perhaps selecting the characters that stay on the edges of the battle due to that very fact. Most people I speak to about thorn say they had a hard time doing well with her. Seems odd, as she's pretty simple to play.

SZips

Seem to be destroying people with thorn at the moment

https://twitter.com/ChronoJoe/status/733521847178825730

Her damage potential is so huge, yet I don't see anyone else taking advantage of her. I regularily more than double the damage output of my team mates. In that match shown in the tweet, my damage hits 180,000, the closest ally is 110,000, but most of them have around 50,000, and the opposing team even less. Their total damage is 220,000... for five characters... I was putting out more damage than four of them combined. Insane. Obviously part of that is that they were bad, and my team mates weren't much better, but it's a common occurrence in more than just this game. Thorns damage is ridiculous.

Thorn is crazy good, high damage, high sustain (with passive regen plus regen items), high suitability (high-jump plus a good health item). Biggest drawback has got to be her health and lack of shield that issue with the health boosts.

At higher levels of play I'd probably need to be more worried about stuns and pulls, but at the moment it's pretty easy to reek havoc on the teams that crop up in public games. Stops mattering so much that my team are terrible if I'm getting 20-30 kills a game, it gives them a lot of leeway to play dumb and still win.

Last few times I played, I made sure to pick Thorn. I instantly loved that how that character plays.

You can overcome the lack of a shield by using an item that grants a +XYZ to shield capacity. It will actually give her a shield, which you can then help out by using another item that increases shield regen. I found that out by mistake the other day.

Last few times I played, I made sure to pick Thorn. I instantly loved that how that character plays.

You can overcome the lack of a shield by using an item that grants a +XYZ to shield capacity. It will actually give her a shield, which you can then help out by using another item that increases shield regen. I found that out by mistake the other day.

Say what?!?!

SZips

Say what?!?!

Yep! It seems super obvious when you think about it but it's not something you ever really expect to work.

Just as an example, here's what I've used for Thorn when I accidentally found that out.

uPQ39Yp.jpg

0JidYTf.jpg

Obviously not super great stuff, but you get the idea.

Gryph

Finally broke CR 40 getting the Thorn advanced Archive lore thing...

Feels good to have everyone unlocked. Now I've gotta see how I like Ghalt.

Speaking of lore challenges. Anyone interested in knocking out some of the harder group composition ones? With a group of five we could get the Boldur one done. Wouldn't mind getting the Benedict one out of the way either...

Speaking of lore challenges. Anyone interested in knocking out some of the harder group composition ones? With a group of five we could get the Boldur one done. Wouldn't mind getting the Benedict one out of the way either...

I'm interested, but I won't have much time for it this week inbetween my work shifts.

Thankfully, most of those lore challenges don't require that you "win" a game, just that you "play" a game. So, we could just pick a stage that has a cliff/void at the beginning and just suicide ourselves until we lose. Losing should count as having a game "played".

deoee

Eh, as if anyone who sees it as 'I can only play one of these two games' would feel any different whenever the patch hit.

I'll still be on Battleborn. /shrug

I will still play it too but you see the PC numbers are dropping every day and I can only guess it's because they take their time to certificate the patches @MS/Sony.

Can't tell if those people will ever come back.

They might not, they might. A patch of a new hero and some other bits and bobs isn't likely to suddenly draw in the masses who've already dismissed the game, for whatever reason, or those who played it and have 'left', unless they really liked the game anyway.

Battleborn is what it is, and it exists in the context it exists in.

Gryph

I'm interested, but I won't have much time for it this week inbetween my work shifts.

Thankfully, most of those lore challenges don't require that you "win" a game, just that you "play" a game. So, we could just pick a stage that has a cliff/void at the beginning and just suicide ourselves until we lose. Losing should count as having a game "played".

Exactly what I was thinking, five Boldurs, heroically throwing themselves off a ledge shouldn't take more then a few minutes...

Gryph

Big Patch next week?

So after Overwatch release?

So way too late? :|

Nothing that can be done about that really. I don't think it would've made a difference even if they'd released it before. The swing buyers have already made up their minds about the game.

(Meant for this to be one post...)

Wait...some people are actually defending the high character unlock cost? No one here that I saw, mostly random posts on Reddit.

While it's true we don't know everything about unlock options for characters, I'm certainly baffled at folks that accept it as "a challenge". I guess I was expecting additional characters to have unlocks via mission/achievement like the base game cast. I hope it's not some new thing they came up with to wring any funds they can out of players after seeing sales.

Wait...some people are actually defending the high character unlock cost? No one here that I saw, mostly random posts on Reddit.

While it's true we don't know everything about unlock options for characters, I'm certainly baffled at folks that accept it as "a challenge". I guess I was expecting additional characters to have unlocks via mission/achievement like the base game cast. I hope it's not some new thing they came up with to wring any funds they can out of players after seeing sales.
They need to increase the amount of credits you earn. 300 - 600 credits per match is not enough.

Xevren

I wish I could buy skins/taunts for a price at least. No gear that I really look forward to, most matches dont even seem to last long enough to warrant saving for a legendary.

Gryph

I wish I could buy skins/taunts for a price at least. No gear that I really look forward to, most matches dont even seem to last long enough to warrant saving for a legendary.

I'm actually surprised they don't just have store section for those at launch.

Maybe it's coming as they add more skins?

Top Bottom