• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

The juggle ability is an early mutation.

Anybody know a way to report people in the Steam version? I played three Meltdown matches last night, and every single one of them had an AFK on my team. I've been so lucky so far, haven't seen this at all. Worried it's turning into SF5 if people have figured out there's no penalty for being a dick. :(

It has Overwatch gameplay in the sense that both are first person shooters, but that's basically it. They have a very different pace, time-to-kill, general mechanics, and objective focus. You build turrets, you level up and choose perks during a match, most modes feature minions you fight with and against. It's probably best to think of Battleborn as a MOBA+, in that the main competitive modes are very MOBA-esque but you also have modes like a co-op story campaign.

Honestly I'd say it's closest to a first-person Awesomenauts, actually.

I don't think it particularly shares Overwatch's CalArts visual style either. Battleborn is big on ugly, even a lot of the more attractive characters have something deliberately off with them. I love it, it gives the game so much personality, but a lot of people dislike it and think it's some kind of accident. ("Where...where are my waifus?!") But they are both pretty damn colorful.

I can't fully answer your question, as I haven't played Paragon.

In regards to Overwatch, it's similar in the sense of character abilities and counter based team compositions. Unlike Overwatch though, there's no in match character switching, so you need to adapt as you play the match, via skill mutations that change the way the character plays.

It has some MOBA heavy elements such as minion lane pushing, zone control, and cash farming. It does not have last hits. Two modes, Incursion and Meltdown, have strong MOBA like qualities, the last MP mode, Control, is what it says on the tin.

Thanks for the feedback.

It does basically sound like a FPS version of Paragon which, isn't a bad thing as i love that game (even though it's still in alpha or beta w/e).

Probably pick this up then!

Thanks for the feedback.

It does basically sound like a FPS version of Paragon which, isn't a bad thing as i love that game (even though it's still in alpha or beta w/e).

Probably pick this up then!
I've played quite a bit of Paragon and this and there are similarities but this is generally faster paced and a bit more hectic. and the maps are smaller and you can move faster leading to the more chaotic feel. They are both different enough for me that I get enjoyment out of both and don't feel like they overlap much.

Regarding Overwatch to me outside of them both having a variety of heroes they are basically completely unrelated.

Another really helpful tip:

If youre using the healing station, go run to an accelerator to heal faster!

I see a lot of team mates just hanging out by the supply station waiting to heal. You can accomplish this much faster by running back and forth from healing station to accelerator a few times. (it works best on incursion)

Of course you can always teleport back, but the strategy above is mainly used for those hectic times when you just need a quick band-aid heal.

On the same note, if you have the opportunity to time it just right, you should make sure to stand next to the shielding minion right before it goes off so you can get a boosted shield to help you out while you charge their minions.

I wouldn't recommend trying it if you think you'll end up losing life or minions in the process, but if you happen to be running past one of them as they're about to put out a shield you may as well take advantage of it :p

I'm not sure if indicates good matchmaking or not, but right now I'm at 89 games played, 45 won.
I'm more along the lines of 35-50 playing mostly solo (I'm decent not great) but probably more 50/50 in the last 50 games or so after a rough start with crazy unbalanced teams. I think the problem with the matchmaking is not so much how much you win/lose but more the closeness of the matches. A lot of them tend to be unbalanced and steamrolls. Not sure how much they can do about it in the future.

Klyka

Banned
5000 people on Steam still on the weekend. Not bad, i thought it would be way lower by now!

Seems to have some legs yet.

Any guesses on how the enemy team managed to get 4 shepherd bots? We were coming back to win and then this wacky shit happened.

y5u5x.jpg

deoee

5000 people on Steam still on the weekend. Not bad, i thought it would be way lower by now!

Yeah queue times still are fine.

Let's see what happens after tomorrow and I'm personally really looking forward for the new char and the patch :)

Gryph

Nah, only 5k in the weekend at prime hour, after less than a month is bomba. I like the game, but let's admit it wasn't a success.

Definitely not a success. The question now is if it can sustain a population that makes it fun to play...

I'm certainly hoping so. I'd like to still see people playing through the release of new characters / maps / missions.

And whether or not it does well enough for Gearbox to invest in a sequel...

I can only speak for myself, but I plan on playing this for several years as long as there are others to play with.

Multiplayer centered games have this weird shelf life where you may find a game that you absolutely love, but can only realistically enjoy it for as long as the community sustains.

It's part of why I'm so appreciative of games that allow for offline bot matches. I know the ai will never be close to as fun as playing with real people, but I'd rather have offline bot matches 10 years from now compared to absolutely nothing.

Xevren

Any guesses on how the enemy team managed to get 4 shepherd bots? We were coming back to win and then this wacky shit happened.

Just a shitty bug where they get stuck. Really sucks though, used to happen more often in the beta's. Only happened to me once since release luckily.

Gurrry

You can also stack creeps if you have a big body hero. Not sure how I feel about that as it is looked at as a high level tactic in most mobas, but for this game, im not sure it really works considering how strong the minions are.

It will probably be patched if the devs feel the same way.

Enilced2

I really enjoy this game but the community at least in PS4 seems to be salty as hell. My last three meltdown matches just had people leave after their first death or one where an isic player just kept jumping off a cliff killing himself. Really killing my desire to keep playing this

I really enjoy this game but the community at least in PS4 seems to be salty as hell. My last three meltdown matches just had people leave after their first death or one where an isic player just kept jumping off a cliff killing himself. Really killing my desire to keep playing this

Had an Isic do that on a story mission. Why?

God knows...

Mossybrew

Anyone playing on PS4 feel free to hit me up with a friend request, PSN name is also Mossybrew. Up for helping with lore challenges or whatever.

I tried Attikus and didn't do so hot with him, but my son loves him and has been wrecking folks. I don't do much Capture but he teamed up with me as Montana and we were two giant dudes mining salt for several rounds.

Bottom line this game is a ton of fun.

Sapientas

Wow, just wasted 53 minutes in Heliophage advanced with some randoms. Mission is completely broken. That Rendain fight might be the worst last boss I have ever seen.
Zero fun with these bullet sponge idiot bosses that come in completely unthought versions that don't even work. I can't believe how they just threw 6 other bosses like that (at least since I didn't get past Warlord whatever).

Apparently the scaling is completely stupid and pretty much everyone agrees it's not worth the try with 5-man. Nice.

Wow, just wasted 53 minutes in Heliophage advanced with some randoms. Mission is completely broken. That Rendain fight might be the worst last boss I have ever seen.
Zero fun with these bullet sponge idiot bosses that come in completely unthought versions that don't even work. I can't believe how they just threw 6 other bosses like that (at least since I didn't get past Warlord whatever).

Apparently the scaling is completely stupid and pretty much everyone agrees it's not worth the try with 5-man. Nice.
Do it with one other player. I beat it on advance with me playing as Miko and another person playing Mike.

Gryph

Yeah, I beat it solo. Seems like it's harder with a full group.

Anyone seen that video from the beta with all those badass skins? Where the F are those? They're awesome. On my phone so not gonna link right now.

That ISIC NES controller looking skin... I'd pay real money for that.

Anyone seen that video from the beta with all those badass skins? Where the F are those? They're awesome. On my phone so not gonna link right now.

That ISIC NES controller looking skin... I'd pay real money for that.
I've tried to search everywhere for anyone who has those skins and I got nothing but vague screenshots of someone wearing the skin. There isn't a single YouTube vid that shows off the skins.

I'm willing to bet those skins are the skins you get for doing the Season Pass single player missions.

I've known about those skins since the beta (Retro ISIC, Zombie Ghalt, Dia De Los Muertos El Dragon, ect...), but have yet to see anybody comment on getting one of these elusive skins even from a loot pack. They have to be tied to those DLC missions.

So im looking to buy this game. But cant decide wich platform to buy it on. Also I dont get why consoles deluxe is 39.99 and pc is 54.99

The fast gameplay looks like itll be better on PC for the 60fps since its 30fps on consoles.

As for friends, dont really care since none of them own this game.

Koeta

Will try to duo or solo it later, but I'm definitely dissappointed with it since I was having fun with all other advanced missions.
If Heliophage gets voted on I will totally leave.

I did it with a pug just today, got Gold but I was pretty sure we were going to lose at one point.

That final push gets real lol.

Xevren

I've tried to search everywhere for anyone who has those skins and I got nothing but vague screenshots of someone wearing the skin. There isn't a single YouTube vid that shows off the skins.

Album of some.

People found them in the beta by doing private matches vs bots and the bots would sometime pick one. They aren't available to the players yet, hoping the patch with Alani will have the tier 2 skins but they haven't said anything.

So im looking to buy this game. But cant decide wich platform to buy it on. Also I dont get why consoles deluxe is 39.99 and pc is 54.99

The fast gameplay looks like itll be better on PC for the 60fps since its 30fps on consoles.

As for friends, dont really care since none of them own this game.

I recommend PC, just because it performs better. I feel like the game plays better on a mouse and keyboard, but that's just me. As for why the PC deluxe edition is more expensive than the consoles...I don't know.

For what it's worth, consoles seem to have a bigger community than PC right now.

I recommend PC, just because it performs better. I feel like the game plays better on a mouse and keyboard, but that's just me. As for why the PC deluxe edition is more expensive than the consoles...I don't know.

For what it's worth, consoles seem to have a bigger community than PC right now.

Thanks, Managed to get it at CDKeys since amazon wouldnt let me buy it for my region. Also Cdkeys had it for the same price as amazon if you bought it separately, it ringed up at 45. With a coupon %5 off for liking the facebook page it came to be $42.00 not bad at all.

Wow just had a great meltdown match on ps4! My team made an amazing push at the end and won. Really fun all the way through

I had a similar match on PC earlier, but we still lost :p

We were behind most of the match but caught up to them in the last few minutes and came really close to pushing ahead.

It was still a great match though and a ton of fun :)

Meltdown is definitely my favorite/most played mode.

I haven't tried any of the singleplayer content beyond the initial mission that it makes you play and while I have fun with the other two modes, something about Meltdown just keeps me hooked.

Koeta

Wouldn't it be nice if they patched in cross platform play one day, since M$ and Sony both say they are open to it, and Rocket League is getting it.

Could do what Street Fighter 5 does and give you the option of playing with your Consoles people or all other systems.

Wouldn't it be nice if they patched in cross platform play one day, since M$ and Sony both say they are open to it, and Rocket League is getting it.

Could do what Street Fighter 5 does and give you the option of playing with your Consoles people or all other systems.

Only way to save PC gamers to get more communities. We need dedicated servers I think.

You'll probably never see crossplay between console/PC in a FPS game due to advantages of KB/M. The only way to do it would be to nerf KB/M so much that the game played like you were playing on a pad, I think Shadowrun did this back in the 360 days.

SF 5 can manage it because there isn't one overwhelming superior control solution for that game.

Probably because people on console are less attached to blizzards IP. I imagine the console community will sustain a bit better too, as less will be drawn towards Overwatch.

Probably because people on console are less attached to blizzards IP. I imagine the console community will sustain a bit better too, as less will be drawn towards Overwatch.
Maybe. I think the sheer fact of it being a MOBA will keep it going. Gearbox also needs to keep updating frequently.

I played the prologue and two story missions tonight, and I'm pretty sure I hate this game. Going to try multiplayer before I write it off, since that seems like the main draw, but everything seemed so clunky and none of mission objectives were fun at all.

Did Heliophage Advanced at 4 player scaling with only 3 of us. Was great fun. Really want to do with 4 friends + me now :D

What can I say, I like it when the game gets crazy.

Lucifon

Had some awesome matches with Thorn at the weekend, she's really underrated.

The Double XP makes the commander rank 'grind' much more satisfying. Just wish they'd do 2x credits as the credit grind is insane. Gear packs are far too expensive, and the cost of Alani is just silly.

I solo'ed Heliophage Advanced with Whiskey Foxtrot. His mutation that heals after minion kills more or less ensures you are always at full health during it. The only difficult part is the first phase vs. Rendain. Last phase against him used my ult and he went down fast.

Have since done it with five, once, if you try to stay on the edge of the map during the final wave of bosses and last phase of Rendain, especially the area near the stairs, it is a lot easier. But, good luck getting a PUG to do that. They'll most likely be hanging out on the middle island taking fire from every direction.

Top Bottom