• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Gryph

I feel like such a moron for buying this. Prime time on Saturday and can't get meltdown matches. Wish I at least got it physically, lesson learned.

I haven't had any trouble at all getting a match, just tried meltdown, fast and smooth...

Maybe something's massed up with your region or something for match-making?

For reference, I'm also on PS4

Yeah not understanding the problems. Sure it takes a bit longer than I'd like to get into any given match, but we're talking like 3-4 minutes max (PS4).

I don't wait that long even. Maybe my ELO is just bad? Haven't lost much though...

I had no problems finding matches all day on Xbox. Takes less than 2 minutes always. Weird to hear PS4 has worse queues. I wonder if that's a networking or sales issue? The game did sleaze near Uncharted...

Lucifon

I had no problems finding matches all day on Xbox. Takes less than 2 minutes always. Weird to hear PS4 has worse queues. I wonder if that's a networking or sales issue? The game did sleaze near Uncharted...

Same situation here. At least for incursion or story matchmaking it's actually consistently pretty fast.

So I finally unlocked Phoebe and to my surprise she has a huge flash on every swing of her weapon, this sucks >.< I understand the reasoning for doing it on guns (even though it's still a pain) but a sword ;/ it makes playing characters with these strobe lights almost unplayable to me.

https://youtu.be/_ykJJe1dZGE

Anyone know a way to tone this down?

There's an option to turn off damage numbers and flash, I think.

Battleborn is a great game, deserves more love.

Koeta

There's an option to turn off damage numbers and flash, I think.

Battleborn is a great game, deserves more love.

Doesn't work for the flashing on your own weapons sadly :( and yeah I enjoy the game, I think it's going to do well in the long run, just Overwatch hype is hurting it.

Just unlocked Deande before checking this thread again lol ;)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/battleborn-playstation-4/8026158.p?id=1219307880808&skuId=8026158

$39.99 already at Best Buy.

With gamers unlocked it's even cheaper $31.99 before tax.

I'm still gonna wait till it hits $20 since Overwatch is coming out in 2 days.
Anyone who is a Best Buy elite member needs to price match if you bought it already. I just got $17 back. I had bought it with the season pass deal earlier.

I feel like such a moron for buying this. Prime time on Saturday and can't get meltdown matches. Wish I at least got it physically, lesson learned.
It is likely a matchmaking glitch due to your high level.

Really? I haven't had any issues. I was playing with friends last night who are all rank 80+ (myself a lowly 30), and we didn't have trouble finding games in Incursion Capture and Meltdown.

Hopefully the game goes F2P in order to retain the player base. A push for free to play after some of the Overwatch hype dies down and some of the games kinks have been ironed out would be a good idea, in my opinion.

I'm going to keep playing it either way though. It's fun, and I've gotten 20 hours out of it already, so I feel I've already received a return on investment in terms of entertainment value, but that's just me personally.

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this game.

I've always liked the idea of playing a MOBA competitively but never wanted to have to worry about the pressure of letting down my team because I accidentally clicked the wrong place or did it too slow.

But thanks to the fact that I can apply my prior experience with FPS games to the formula, it allows me to contribute in a much better capacity than I would be able to in a traditional MOBA.

Gurrry

I had some really awesome games as Rath last night. Hes slowly taking over Pheobe's spot as my main. Using his ultimate vs the sentry shields is amazing. You can take that shit down so quick. However, you will more than likely die shortly after. If your team can do the damage though, Rath can be the shield destroyer you need.

Plus, its a bonus that you get to hear Vegeta the entire game.

that's actually tempting but Overwatch

Play both? They really do differ dramatically. I don't get this idea that you cant play the two at once, other than for financial reasons.

Halo and Battleborn coexist for me quite happily. Offer wildly different experiences. Could slot Overwatch between them and still be content.

I had a pretty good game of incursion yesterday that I thought would be a one sided loss, but wasn't. The other team was all high level with several in a group. Turned out to be pretty close and my team won 50-14 when time ran out. I was using Ambra who isn't as powerful as in the beta, but still good if used correctly.

Gurrry

So much salt and idiocy taking place in that sale thread. Its pretty disgusting. Alot of people showing their true colors.

Gotta love how people who have never touched the game feel the need to tell people how to spend their money on something theyre interested in.

lordkosc

Only had 3 of my IRL friends get this on Steam, so please feel free to friend me.

I prefer playing with a team of internet friends, at least I know no one is going to drop before the game starts or surrender in the first 5 freaking minutes.

Steam ID same as nGAF ID. I have around 60 hours played, and am level 37, hope to ding 40 by the end of the double XP event.

It's pretty one sided, I mean, I've not seen anyone try to pull that kind of stuff saying "BB will eat OW's lunch" it's always fans of OW trying to sleight BB which doesn't make any sense as they're both awesome games.

If they both succeed, everybody has 2 cool options to play, if one fails then everybody has less options and nobody truly wins.

I'm also a bit frustrated that the Beta gave so many people a bad first impression, but I really think thats just due to the nature of a Beta.

I think I summarized it well in that thread with this comment:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204347629&postcount=120

"I assure you that the conditions surrounding the beta prevented you from expriencing the game the way it can be experienced today.

Nobody knew what they were doing back in Beta and in such an objective focused game that absolutely necessitates working together and strategizing with a team, it's just not going to be fun with everyone runnning in guns blazing having no idea how anything works."

Even today with all of us having a moderate grasp on the game and its meta qualities, we still get frustrated when were paired with an inexperienced team because that directly affects how well we can do and how well our team can work together.

Imagine back in beta when nobody knew what was going on and everygame was full of players trying to rush in and play it like COD straight up ignoring minions and teamwork.

I can definitely see how that could paint a negative picture of the moment to moment gameplay, but there is such a massive disparity between the amount of fun I have in those matches compared to the matches when I have a cool team that communicates and works in unison.

It's a difference of night and day and if someone could only experience a bad team, I can see how it could make them hate the whole game.

Gurrry

It's pretty one sided, I mean, I've not seen anyone try to pull that kind of stuff saying "BB will eat OW's lunch" it's always fans of OW trying to sleight BB which doesn't make any sense as they're both awesome games.

If they both succeed, everybody has 2 cool options to play, if one fails then everybody has less options and nobody truly wins.

I'm also a bit frustrated that the Beta gave so many people a bad first impression, but I really think thats just due to the nature of a Beta.

I think I summarized it well in that thread with this comment:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204347629&postcount=120

"I assure you that the conditions surrounding the beta prevented you from expriencing the game the way it can be experienced today.

Nobody knew what they were doing back in Beta and in such an objective focused game that absolutely necessitates working together and strategizing with a team, it's just not going to be fun with everyone runnning in guns blazing having no idea how anything works."

Even today with all of us having a moderate grasp on the game and its meta qualities, we still get frustrated when were paired with an inexperienced team because that directly affects how well we can do and how well our team can work together.

Imagine back in beta when nobody knew what was going on and everygame was full of players trying to rush in and play it like COD straight up ignoring minions and teamwork.

I can definitely see how that could paint a negative picture of the moment to moment gameplay, but there is such a massive disparity between the amount of fun I have in those matches compared to the matches when I have a cool team that communicates and works in unison.

It's a difference of night and day and if someone could only experience a bad team, I can see how it could make them hate the whole game.

There is this ideology that comes with games sometimes that makes people feel like they have to justify their purchase decisions by pushing others away from games that are similar.

"I bought this game and I like it, so if you buy that other game and have more fun, I need to make sure I tell you that you are wrong because otherwise, I will feel like my money was wasted."

Thats how crazy people are. It happens across all genres with similar ties. It also happens alot in the console/PC communities too.

"I bought the PS4 so I better make sure I let everyone know how much Xbox sucks to make my purchase decision the 'right' one"

Not to mention one person in that thread spewing hatred on BB thinks "First of all" is "Firstable".

Thats the degree of intelligence that is on display in that thread. I had to gtfo of there.

There is this ideology that comes with games sometimes that makes people feel like they have to justify their purchase decisions by pushing others away from games that are similar.

"I bought this game and I like it, so if you buy that other game and have more fun, I need to make sure I tell you that you are wrong because otherwise, I will feel like my money was wasted."

Thats how crazy people are. It happens across all genres with similar ties. It also happens alot in the console/PC communities too.

"I bought the PS4 so I better make sure I let everyone know how much Xbox sucks to make my purchase decision the 'right' one"

Not to mention one person in that thread spewing hatred on BB thinks "First of all" is "Firstable".

Thats the degree of intelligence that is on display in that thread. I had to gtfo of there.

Oh yeah, for sure, I see that happening alot as well.

I'll never understand why people are so eager to take positions of negativity like that, I mean, you can totally flip that kind of stance around and justify your purchase to yourself by thinking about the cool stuff you can do with your platform or game of choice rather than trying to take something away from someone else.

Oh well, don't want to go too OT in this thread, if anyone here is bored and looking for a good laugh here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222549

Gryph

Alright, enough gloom and doom seeping in from that other thread.

Who are people playing as? Who do you like right now?

I'm trying to figure out who to master next. I've got Orendi out of the way, and Reyna almost done.

I'm thinking maybe Melka or Shayne and Aurox. Then maybe Ambra or Miko just to have a healer done? What do you all think?

Menome

I've mastered Phoebe and Orendi, working on Deande. Thinking I'll switch between melee and ranged characters to keep the variety up.

Heck, it might end up being my second Platinumed game. Just need to ensure I get that 5-player team trophy at some point, as it seems my friends aren't grabbing this after all.

Gurrry

I keep switching characters every game so I havent been able to master anyone. I think i have Thorn, Miko, Rath and Pheobe all at level 10. I need to push and get them to mastery before double XP is over!

Rath is super easy to use I feel like. I consistently get double digit kills with him. Melee characters are just hard to push with though, so when it comes down to damaging the sentry on incursion, I feel like im a liability.

I've mastered Phoebe and Orendi, working on Deande. Thinking I'll switch between melee and ranged characters to keep the variety up.

Heck, it might end up being my second Platinumed game. Just need to ensure I get that 5-player team trophy at some point, as it seems my friends aren't grabbing this after all.

Any tips for Deande? I tried her once in a story mission, but I could never figure out how to juggle people. Is that what her Ulti does? Cause when I tried to activate it, it was very strange and I never juggled anyone.

Obsessed with Marquis right now, but I want to learn how to play El Dragon just because I love the way he looks so much. But, I'm just incompetent at melee characters

Alright, enough gloom and doom seeping in from that other thread.

Who are people playing as? Who do you like right now?

I'm trying to figure out who to master next. I've got Orendi out of the way, and Reyna almost done.

I'm thinking maybe Melka or Shayne and Aurox. Then maybe Ambra or Miko just to have a healer done? What do you all think?

Phoebe, Deande, Miko, Oscar Mike, Thorn, and Toby. I played a lot of Reyna in the beta but I haven't played as her in the full game. I'm focused on unlocking Alani right now as she will probably be my next main. I could another healer.

I mastered Deande and Phoebe and close to mastering Oscar Mike.

Gryph

Obsessed with Marquis right now, but I want to learn how to play El Dragon just because I love the way he looks so much. But, I'm just incompetent at melee characters

Marquis and Thorn are who I'm dreading... I've never been good with sniper characters.

I'm thinking this will end up being a platinum for me though, so I'll need to get to them eventually...

I've played almost every character, but the ones that I really like are Orendi, Attikus, Whiskey Foxtrot, Montana, Mellka, Ambra, Reyna, Kleese and Ghalt. I'm also REALLY looking forward to playing Alani in a couple days.

They're the ones I like the most. Every other character I wouldn't seriously play outside of grinding lore challenges.

Gurrry

Give Rath a try!

His stun is so good that you can escape a lot of dire situations by hitting them with it and running.

It might be a slow burn at first, but once you get your ultimate, he does some of the best damage in the game.

Make sure you are constantly getting shards and buying/upgrading turrets. Also make sure you are getting Thralls as much as you can. Those two things give you a TON of XP and it really helps you level during a game where you might not be playing as good or just cant seem to hit creeps for levels.

Once you do hit level 5, the combo I do is E (stun), run underneath them, and hit F (spin to win) and follow the opponent anywhere they go. If they get away, use Q (the ranged attack) and snipe them for that last bit of HP.

Another good damaging combo is just E > Q. Then when you do get up on someone, just wail on them with your sword and jump around a lot. I find that ranged characters tend to panic and start mashing or just die.

On the other hand, if you find yourself on the receiving end of a Rath ultimate (no matter what character youre playing as), use your standard melee attack to juggle them away from you and run. Or, if you have a stun, hit him with it and it will stop the ultimate completely.

Jennings

Earned Master of Reyna just before the double exp event started, but I'm having trouble choosing a new hero to play. I thoroughly enjoy Oscar Mike, but since he's a default character he's usually nabbed by the time my character select screen even loads.

I tried Whiskey Foxtrot, thinking he might play similar to Oscar Mike, but he doesn't, and I don't have the hang of him at all yet.

Decisions, decisions. I have all heroes unlocked, but nobody else has grabbed me yet.

Thinking of picking this up, thought i'd post here instead of the sale thread for a more informed answer.

Is this game effectively a cross between Paragon and Overwatch? With the MOBA aspects of Paragon and the art style/gameplay of Overwatch?

Tried watching some videos but most of them seem clueless.

Any tips for Deande? I tried her once in a story mission, but I could never figure out how to juggle people. Is that what her Ulti does? Cause when I tried to activate it, it was very strange and I never juggled anyone.
The juggle ability is an early mutation.

Anybody know a way to report people in the Steam version? I played three Meltdown matches last night, and every single one of them had an AFK on my team. I've been so lucky so far, haven't seen this at all. Worried it's turning into SF5 if people have figured out there's no penalty for being a dick. :(

Thinking of picking this up, thought i'd post here instead of the sale thread for a more informed answer.

Is this game effectively a cross between Paragon and Overwatch? With the MOBA aspects of Paragon and the art style/gameplay of Overwatch?

It has Overwatch gameplay in the sense that both are first person shooters, but that's basically it. They have a very different pace, time-to-kill, general mechanics, and objective focus. You build turrets, you level up and choose perks during a match, most modes feature minions you fight with and against. It's probably best to think of Battleborn as a MOBA+, in that the main competitive modes are very MOBA-esque but you also have modes like a co-op story campaign.

Honestly I'd say it's closest to a first-person Awesomenauts, actually.

I don't think it particularly shares Overwatch's CalArts visual style either. Battleborn is big on ugly, even a lot of the more attractive characters have something deliberately off with them. I love it, it gives the game so much personality, but a lot of people dislike it and think it's some kind of accident. ("Where...where are my waifus?!") But they are both pretty damn colorful.

I have more than 50 hours of playtime in this game and just yesterday I got a player who was a typical MOBA asshole. Trying to tell the team what to do with their character, getting frustrated and taking it out on his team every time we didn't push, and just being salty as fuck. Granted, we were getting our asses kicked but no need to get super salty especially since the the dude wasn't doing any better.

Gryph

I can't fully answer your question, as I haven't played Paragon.

In regards to Overwatch, it's similar in the sense of character abilities and counter based team compositions. Unlike Overwatch though, there's no in match character switching, so you need to adapt as you play the match, via skill mutations that change the way the character plays.

It has some MOBA heavy elements such as minion lane pushing, zone control, and cash farming. It does not have last hits. Two modes, Incursion and Meltdown, have strong MOBA like qualities, the last MP mode, Control, is what it says on the tin.

deoee

Btw. guys: if you're struggling with body blockers and melee chars:
USE THE QUICK MELEE

it's insane.
Just now I played with Ghalt and was juggling around every enemy that came close to me or pushed Thralls of the map :D

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I haven't even touched to pvp stuff yet, lvl 33. I love the story missions (save the last 2), it kinda like destiny strikes but longer. Want to get Rath to 15, he my fav so far but need to unlock 2 guys still.

Btw. guys: if you're struggling with body blockers and melee chars:
USE THE QUICK MELEE

it's insane.
Just now I played with Ghalt and was juggling around every enemy that came close to me or pushed Thralls of the map :D

Also if you have a skill that inflicts slow down use it when your being chased. Thorn and Phoebe can get out of a lot of sticky situations.

Menome

Her juggle-ability is the mutation unlocked at Level 5. It activates on the fourth hit of your primary melee attack chain. You can miss with the first three, but that fourth has to hit.

I can only mirror what's been said earlier in the thread: Don't forget about your ranged attack and try to back enemies into a corner and juggle them into oblivion.

Also, try to avoid using your ultimate unless you're cloaked or have snuck up behind someone. You become a sitting duck for a couple of seconds whilst it activates. Also don't use it on an enemy that's close to falling off the edge of a map. You're technically "attached" to them during the attack animation and will get taken with them, as I found out yesterday.

Not 100% decided on what gear to use yet. I'm leaning towards +Attack Speed as she's actually fairly slow to hit and you want the juggle activating as often as possible. Maybe +Movement Speed as well to get to the rear of characters.

Gurrry

Another really helpful tip:

If youre using the healing station, go run to an accelerator to heal faster!

I see a lot of team mates just hanging out by the supply station waiting to heal. You can accomplish this much faster by running back and forth from healing station to accelerator a few times. (it works best on incursion)

Of course you can always teleport back, but the strategy above is mainly used for those hectic times when you just need a quick band-aid heal.

Done the Attikus challenges. Love him. Suspect the skill ceiling on pounce (with right helix choices) is pretty high too. Gonna get there...

Gryph

So who's on PS4 in here who wants to get a few lore challenges done?

I'd really like to get Boldur's 5 Eldrid, and Benedict's 3 Peacekeepers out of the way ASAP. It's only going to get harder to get these done...

Anyone up for it? It should just take a few minutes, queue up for a PVE match with a full party, everyone selects Boldur or Benedict, then we go jump off a cliff...

I'm happy to spend some time knocking out other lore challenges as well, if anyone needs any character specific ones.

Let's make a plan so I can stop worrying about it...

Top Bottom