• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Cowie

Smacking Thrall mercs off cliffs in Overgrowth is so much quicker than trying to kill them the natural way.

I've been having trouble doing it at the single thrall camps recently, I thought they might have nerfed it. Maybe my technique is off? I can do it easily enough at the double thrall camp on Echelon.

I played the prologue and two story missions tonight, and I'm pretty sure I hate this game. Going to try multiplayer before I write it off, since that seems like the main draw, but everything seemed so clunky and none of mission objectives were fun at all.

I'd recommend playing it with friends before you write it off.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Larry Hryb ‏@majornelson 1m1 minute ago
Sale: Get the Battleborn Digital Deluxe edition for $39.99 (was $74.99) http://mjr.mn/1sxC7Ci

for America Gaf on XBox One that has been thinking about getting it

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Brother and I had some great times this weekend, even though we had some HORRIBLE losing streaks early in the weekend. We're also both half or more towards having enough to unlock Alani.

I really hope she's an awesome healer, too. Kleese Don't-call-it-a-heal-chair augment is FANTASTIC healing once you reach it in 5 or so lvls, but Ambra still feels like she's not as clutch as I'd like her to be, and my brother has played enough Miko to have it fully mastered.

Team Make-up can mean SO MUCH in Meltdown. You really have to pick characters that are good at getting rid of the problem classes, or the enemy bot waves. It's amazing how BAD Ghalt or Klesse can feel with the wrong backup, but how utterly awesome they can feel with someone like Rath or Kelvin to give them one stun / knock up to lay the traps and fight back.

I've also grown WAY more appreciation for proper use of Slow when taking out characters like Mellka or Marquis. Reyna's heat seeking pulse augment is almost a must when fighting those who can fly away crazy-fast like Caldarius or Benedict.

And then Caldarius... I swear he has one of the most satisfying guns this side of Oscar Mike. With a bit of Damage increase and Shield Penetration, he can devour almost anyone.

I really feel like there's some Characters in this game that define their niche (RATH, Marquis), and then others that can work with another to totally own the niche as a unit with another that isn't the best in said spot. Toby makes a crappy sniper early-game by himself, but put him alongside a Thorn and they become a snipe Duo that can outdo Marquis. Toby and Kleese are some of the easiest marks in the game if you get near them, but they become invaluable tools if paired together, or with someone who can make their immediate areas insanely dangerous to venture into.

Ghalt also counter Galilea very well. As do Thorn and Oscar Mike. And Kelvin. I don't mind her Damage as much, and I'm learning to deal with her shield more and more, but man, the instant suck-in augment she gets on her Desecrate field is incredibly jarring and strong. It can cancel out SO many ults and escapes instantly, and THEN you're silenced from using other abilities as you walk out of the field, most of the time.

It's just fun coming up with new combos and new ways to play the same characters all the time. Ghalt 3 way grapple mutation + Whiskey Foxtrot Split Bomb+Napalm Mutation? GREAT! Kleese Laser Snipe Blaster + Toby for team Shields and Territory Heals? Just so much fun stuff to explore, and make use of against other players.

Aye. I find there's a nice level of depth vs action in the game. Similar to the loot: I like getting new loot, but there's an element of dissonance there in that the loot doesn't tend to make much difference in a fight... and yet is still satisfying to get...

Finally got everyone unlocked. Thanks Double XP weekend! =)
That weekend was everyone's opportunity to unlock all the characters with little effort. Out of all the Double XP Weekends a lot of multiplayer games do this one felt like I was getting Double XP. I think I ranked up 30 levels.
Aye. I find there's a nice level of depth vs action in the game. Similar to the loot: I like getting new loot, but there's an element of dissonance there in that the loot doesn't tend to make much difference in a fight... and yet is still satisfying to get...
Attack speed, bonus shards, movement speed, and shield boosts are the items I mostly use. Their effects are subtle but it helps boost a character.

Gurrry

Im starting to feel like the overshield you can get from your minions on incursion mode is a little too unbalanced. Youre already kicking the other teams ass, you shouldnt be able to get that strong of an overshield from the minions who are already stronger to begin with.

I really hope there are some major tweaks coming fast. Waiting around for console certification to patch PC just seems crazy to me. Its not like there is cross play.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210007213-PC-Update-Hot-fix-Information

New Content:

New Character
New Skins and Taunts
Hero Keys have been added

Mode & Map Changes:

We made a few changes to Incursion to prevent teams from snowballing to victory after defeating the first sentry. Now both teams get equal opportunities of lane pushing power at select times during the match. In addition, we added some extra power to the Thralls so that they help expedite team pushes.

Incursion

Empowered Minion Waves no longer spawn for a team after killing the enemy's first Sentry. They now spawn for both teams every fourth minion wave.

Incursion Thralls

All Thralls, when captured, no longer target enemy players
All Thralls no longer flinch when hit in the legs by players or minions
All Thralls no longer get knocked off the map
Thrall Crushers
Now only attacks minions directly
No longer charges
New Skill: Has an area attack that destroys minions instantly and knocks up players (Usable once every 7 seconds)
Thrall Guards
Now only attacks minions directly
New Skill: Targets a sentry with a mortar that deals heavy damage to the Sentry (Usable once every 10 seconds)

Overgrowth:

Modified the sniper nests to prevent players from engaging the first sentry from across the map.
Shepherds spawn every fourth wave instead of after the first Sentry is destroyed.
Various level geometry changes to reduce collision issues.
Fixed a rare issue with the central Thrall mercenaries not pushing.

Echelon:

Shepherds spawn every fourth wave instead of after the first Sentry is destroyed.
Various level geometry changes to reduce collision issues.

Characters:

Ambra:

Ambra’s Extinction Event provided unnecessary crowd control due to the large area of effect. We removed the slowing effect to allow for better counter-play options around her ultimate.

Ambra’s Extinction Event skill no longer slows enemies.
Fixed an issue that allowed Ambra’s Scorching Strikes to deal extra damage.
Fixed an issue that prevented stealthed targets from being revealed when Ambra’s level 6 Left Helix Augment, Agile Anomaly and level 2 Right Helix Augment, Solar Burst were active.

Boldur

Fixed an issue with the description of Boldur’s Legendary gear.

El Dragon:

Fixed an issue that allowed players to move bosses using El Dragon’s level 8 Mutation, Unbelievable.

Deande:

Added a short cooldown to Deande’s Drop Kick to fix unintended vertical maneuverability.

Galilea:

Galilea’s desecrate was never intended to constantly apply crowd control or debuffs on enemies throughout the duration. We changed the augmentations to only apply the effects at the cast of the skill. This change now requires Galilea players to use Desecrate more effectively and allow some counter-play if players find themselves falling into the Desecrate. In addition, we made some fixes to her melee attack so Galilea is now moving like all other melee when attacking.

Galilea’s level 1 Right Helix Augment, Calamitynow only wounds players when Desecrate is initially activated.
Galilea’s level 4 Mutation, Bleak Quiet now only silences players when Desecrateis initially activated.
Galilea’s level 8 Right Helix Augment, The Black Wind Howls now only increases her movement speed when Desecrateis initially activated.
Galilea can no longer attack while sprinting.
Fixed an issue that prevented Corruptionfrom damaging enemies affected by Galilea’s Desecrate after selecting her level 1 Right Helix Augment, Calamity.

Kleese:

Fixed an issue that allowed Kleese’s Energy Rifts to replenish Sentry shields in Incursion.
Changed Kleese’s HUD to use a jump meter instead of an ammo counter.
Fixed an issue that allowed Kleese’s Shock Taser to target stealthed enemies.
Fixed an issue with Kleese’s Energy Rift damage when both level 4 Left Helix Augment, Rift Network and level 6 Left Helix Augment, Bulk Savings are active.
Fixed an issue that increased the cast range of Kleese’s Energy Rifts and Black Hole.

Marquis:

Fixed an issue with Marquis’s level 2 Mutation, Eyes Everywhere.
Fixed an issue where Marquis’s ultimate Bindleblast damage was not tracked properly after taking level 10 Right Helix Augment, exe.

Miko:

Fixed an issue that prevented Miko’s Fungus Among Us from displaying the mushroom’s trajectory when primed.

Shayne and Aurox:

Fixed a rare issue that allowed Shayne and Aurox to gain permanent health regeneration with their level 7 Left Helix Augment, Alone Time
Fixed an issue that allowed Shayne and Aurox to use Tag Team through friendly base barriers.
Fixed an issue that allowed some projectiles to pass through Aurox.

Non-Player Characters:

Fixed an issue where minions could become very difficult to kill after being affected by certain healing sources.

Gear:

Character Legendary gear no longer uses randomized values.
Fixed an issue that prevented players from acquiring the “Medical Nano-Colony” Legendary gear.
Fixed an issue with the “Sentinel Reset Switch” Legendary gear.

Quality of Life:

Added “Faction”, “Character Rank”, “Lore Challenge Completion” and “Unlock” sorting for Battleborn in the Command menu.
Fixed a “Player Initialization Failed” error when users first attempt to sign in.
Fixed a rare issue that prevented players from controlling their characters if they were modifying their key bindings when starting a boss encounter. (PC)
Fixed a rare issue that resulted in black flickering on the main menu. (XB1)
Fixed an issue where an incorrect skin would appear for the second split screen user in the post-match screen.

Match Making:

Fixed an issue with matchmaking hosts that should reduce the number of connection failures. (XB1)
Various improvements have been made to reduce the number of matchmaking failures. (PS4)

Audio:

Added unique sounds for attacking Immune and Overshielded
Fixed an issue that allowed critical hit sounds to play against shielded players.
Fixed an issue that occasionally prevented music from playing in Incursion.
Various audio mix changes.

Localization:

Various localization bug fixes.

Gryph

Some nice changes in there.

Not sure how I feel about the Thralls, I already find them annoying.

Stoked for better sorting options for the characters as well...

Poor Gali though...

played at a friend house, and i liked it..
got it for the weekend.. and i loved..
caved and bought..
who cares if it will bomba, I prefer supporting a good game, rather than just shing away because "trololol so little players on it"..
gearbox did a solid job here, and that's coming from me that loathed the last borderlands installment... :)

Gurrry

I really like the changes they are making to the minion shields and the thralls. Im a little worried about this new AOE attack they supposedly have... but we will see how strong it is once its updated.

Gryph

So Kotaku posted some Gearbox Battleborn art stuff...

http://kotaku.com/the-weird-units-of-battleborn-1778106961

Not sure we'll ever see any of these in game, a lot of it looks like early design ideas, but I'm loving the variety among the character designs...

Wish we had some bug people...

jwsla7wco1ze6flkln9g_zpsxy5wwb7h.jpg

Gryph

Yea I just saw this, they got hit insanely hard. This really sucks.

I mean, before they seemed like an auto-include, now they seem like they're not worth even keeping...

I wonder if they'll roll back that one a bit...

Also, real talk, anyone else find themselves without enough bank space, ever?

deoee

I mean, before they seemed like an auto-include, now they seem like they're not worth even keeping...

My bank is constantly full and I don't want to spend any credits on it...

Xevren

I bought all the bank upgrades and tend to be picky about what I keep, I have plenty of space.

Anyone have access to Alani? Or is that tomorrow?

Tomorrow.

Shard nerf bug sucks only because it might be weeks before a fix :

Man grinding ISIC's minion charge lore challenge takes forever.

I see they patched in new skins, anyone see anything good yet?

Menome

Gurrry

I played a game with the new patch!

I really like what they did to fix the sniper issue on Overgrowth. They also added a little ledge so that characters without flying or higher jumps can actually get up there and get on the other side!

The overshield minions coming every 4th wave was a little weird at first, but I think its a change for the better. Still dont like how it can give players overshield.. even though ive benefited from it tons of times. I just think it throws a little too much randomness into fights sometimes.

The thralls were hard to gauge because it was only 1 game, but they definitely seemed more focused on heading straight to the sentry.

The game I played felt like a more even fight. I hope these changes can help with the lopsided victories that sometimes take place and makes each game exciting and nail-biting.

Has anyone done Heliophage solo with a melee character? I want to do it with Attikus for his lore challenge but not sure how viable that is.

I have. I've done it with Attikus, actually. It's easy to do with him. A few tips:

Invest in talents that either cause lifesteal or health regeneration. At level 3, he gets the "Brawler's Boon" talent which grants lifesteal on his basic attacks, though "Tenacity" is also good if you want to melt targets quickly. At level 5, always take "Hedronic Regeneration", as this gives you insane sustain; just build up to full charges, and let the health flow. Always take the "swift strikes" talent at level 7, too. Attikus benefits way more from attack speed than more health.

If you need to get the hell out of dodge, just pounce out. Save pounce for escapes. Also get the talent which makes Attikus' shields recharge during your pounce, it'll save your ass sometimes.

For gear, I'd get attack speed, attack damage and health regen. I've got a green attack damage item that grants +attack speed on a melee hit, I've got just a gray attack speed item, and I've got a purple health regen item that also grants +attack damage passively. This combination of gear is great for Attikus, in general.

When you get to Rendain, never fight him or the boss rush on the middle platform. Go to one of the other platforms, and put your back to a wall. Also regarding the challenge itself, the sweet spot for crits on Rendain is his head, but hitting with charged hook is rather difficult. Try to aim a little above his head, and don't charge it; you want as many attempts as you can. You can only crit him during the stage where he has no shield. I won't lie, you'll probably have to play "The Heliophage" multiple times with Attikus to get that lore challenge done; landing crits on him is that difficult.

Enilced2

So do the hero keys mean anything to you if you've already unlocked everyone? Hell I don't even see the keys being listed anywhere in the command.

The overshield minions coming every 4th wave was a little weird at first, but I think its a change for the better. Still dont like how it can give players overshield.. even though ive benefited from it tons of times. I just think it throws a little too much randomness into fights sometimes.

But it's the opposite of random. It's predictable. You know when (every 4th wave as you said) and where (near the overshield minions). It's a factor you and the enemy should plan around.

Top Bottom