• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

Tecnniqe

Banned
That is quite true too.

I may wait to get it or dive right in, I've tried overwatch and it's really really fun but I don't have much sense of progress there.

Battleborn has loot right?
Loot?
Like a FPS moba so I don't think there's loot in the drop sense

Caim

The story mission Saboteur seems damn near impossible at the moment. On the third time you have to defend the health just melts away even if no enemies are hitting it.

Jennings

So mission rewards or drop-drops like D3?
Both. Drops and chest loot in the story missions, and loot rewards for various achievements, mostly levelling up. Plus you can use in-game currency to buy loot packs of varying rarity/quality.

The story mission Saboteur seems damn near impossible at the moment. On the third time you have to defend the health just melts away even if no enemies are hitting it.

Stay close to the defense point. Don't stray too far.

Also, don't forget to build turrets and traps. There are two spots for turrets in that room, and I suggest building thumper turrets(rocket launchers). They really do some good during the last defense point section of that map. For traps, I suggest flash traps or temporal traps. The inferno traps are better suited for choke points, and there aren't a lot of choke points on the final defense point.

Beepos

Yes you do! :3

Really? Is it not out in all territories yet? For a new AAA release those Steam stats are worrisome for day 1.

Was thinking of looking more into the title but think I'll sit back for now and see final reviews.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The campaign is pretty disappointing. Like...it's fine; it's serviceable, but there's hardly any "story" to this campaign. Anybody remember this story trailer? None of the cutscenes in this trailer appear during the campaign. I don't know if Borderlands had similar trailers prior to it's releases, but there's hardly any story in this campaign. There's also hardly any dialogue from the characters that you play as, "battle chatter" notwithstanding. There's a lot of chatter from mission control, but your characters have nothing to say about the situations they're put in during the campaign. There's very little buildup between missions, story beats just sort of happen. There's no impact to anything. It feels like this campaign was supposed to be much bigger than it is, and that disappoints me.

Just as an aside to this, the campaign is suppose to have different dialogue at points depending on who you play. This probably won't add on to the STORY, per se, but it should help varied play through feels somewhat unique.

I expected this to be a throw-away situation that's slightly deeper than a generic hoard mode, so this doesn't sound too bad. Also, remember they have fully voiced background dialogue segments that you unlock as you clear goals with your characters.

And it sounds like the DLC story segments are suppose to be shorter than those in game? I'd love for them to turn out like Borderlands 1, where the DLC felt like it answered every issue I had with the default SP (underutilization of certain characters, not enough thematic conversations, a few unsolved mysteries answered, self-aware on the games reception, etc.)

I really enjoyed the character-to-character interactions in the Beta, too. Watching Montana freak out over killin' a freakin vampire, hearing characters make jabs at each other... it's very MOBA like in that way, in the best way possible.

I hope to find a kinda Zen with the story missions, that feels similar to running through specific stages in a Beat-em-up. You know the thing like the back of your hand, and the run is pretty easy... but the chance for some variance still keeps it fun, in something of a high-score chasing way.

Really? Is it not out in all territories yet? For a new AAA release those Steam stats are worrisome for day 1.

Was thinking of looking more into the title but think I'll sit back for now and see final reviews.

It hasn't launched in Eu and America yet. Unlock schedule is in OP.

deoee

Well by not buying it while liking the game you kind of create this problem yourself.

Xevren

So glad the game is out, had way too much fun. Boldur is really growing on me, he just becomes an absolute tank and with rage going he can deal a ton of damage.

Just as an aside to this, the campaign is suppose to have different dialogue at points depending on who you play. This probably won't add on to the STORY, per se, but it should help varied play through feels somewhat unique.

I've only encountered this once. It was with El Dragon on Mission 1. He and ISIC have multiple exchanges. Other than that, the only mission that has unique dialogue with each playable character is Mission 2, where your character has a brief exchange with the Wolf Sentry. I played Orendi for the entire campaign, and Mission 2 is the only time where she has dialogue during any of the story beats for the entire campaign. I'll have to play around with some other characters on certain missions to see if there's anything.

It's probably unfair to make this comparison, but I remember Borderlands: The Pre Sequel, where there was a shitload of voice acting with each playable character during the campaign. They actually reacted during most of the story beats, and I really enjoyed that. Battleborn is woefully lacking in that department, especially considering this game has so many characters. Again, this game wasn't built around the campaign, and I understand that.

I expected this to be a throw-away situation that's slightly deeper than a generic hoard mode, so this doesn't sound too bad. Also, remember they have fully voiced background dialogue segments that you unlock as you clear goals with your characters.

I am aware of the lore challenges. I think every character has at least one voiced dialogue lore entry out of the five lore challenges they have. That's at least a good consolation prize.

I really enjoyed the character-to-character interactions in the Beta, too. Watching Montana freak out over killin' a freakin vampire, hearing characters make jabs at each other... it's very MOBA like in that way, in the best way possible.

There certainly is a lot of battle chatter with every character, and that I like. There's a lot of chatter for unique situations in multiplayer, which is very nice.

Slathe

Game was running a bit choppy for me last night, especially in the prologue. I'm thinking it might be my graphics card. I've got an older I7 and 8 gigs of ram, but I'm using an amd 6800. Anyone have insight as to whether I should be looking to upgrade the video card or look for answers elsewhere? Haven't fiddled with hardware in a few years.

Game is still really fun. Hope more people give it a go. Prologue was fine, looking forward to the rest of the campaign and some more multiplayer.

Did they ever mention how many story missions there are? During the beta there were like 3 of them, but the official website and OP's post which seems to refer to it doesn't specify exactly how many there are total, just that they're replayable in different modes and what not. Just wondering how much coop/single player content there is in this, as I don't have much interest in the pseudo moba mode.

deoee

Game really plays well, only thing is, you need a proper team composition to have good chances of winning (with randoms :D)

Did they ever mention how many story missions there are? During the beta there were like 3 of them, but the official website and OP's post which seems to refer to it doesn't specify exactly how many there are total, just that they're replayable in different modes and what not. Just wondering how much coop/single player content there is in this, as I don't have much interest in the pseudo moba mode.

8 with 2 difficulties + 6 DLC incoming

Game was running a bit choppy for me last night, especially in the prologue. I'm thinking it might be my graphics card. I've got an older I7 and 8 gigs of ram, but I'm using an amd 6800. Anyone have insight as to whether I should be looking to upgrade the video card or look for answers elsewhere? Haven't fiddled with hardware in a few years.

Game is still really fun. Hope more people give it a go. Prologue was fine, looking forward to the rest of the campaign and some more multiplayer.

I would check the settings and see what Physx is at because, in the alpha and beta, it was set to maximum by default. Gearbox love having Physx cranked up for whatever reason and it can really be a performance hog in their games.

8,and the beta consisted of 2 mussions (the algorithm and the void edge or something like that).

gossi

Yeah, I've been looking at the Steam stats, Twitch and some XB1 metrics and, uh, this does not look like a big launch online putting it politely. The developer claims the budget was bigger than Borderlands, too.

Hasney

As a perspective, Evolve had 28k concurrent players on Day 1.

Brink had around that too, but you'd think this could at least hit those numbers by the end of the day. Not exactly prime time right now, so I'll withhold judgement until at least tomorrow.

Slathe

Not to make a ton of excuses but the release was pretty staggered, and started fairly late for east coast U.S. Combined with the Overwatch beta it's not surprising the numbers are low. I hope they will jump up after the beta ends.

It can't be stated enough that the game is not just an Overwatch clone and has a distinctly different feel. The claim that they're the same is really unhelpful and has caused an unnecessary choice between the two.

Lucifon

Not to make a ton of excuses but the release was pretty staggered, and started fairly late for east coast U.S. Combined with the Overwatch beta it's not surprising the numbers are low. I hope they will jump up after the beta ends.

It can't be stated enough that the game is not just an Overwatch clone and has a distinctly different feel. The claim that they're the same is really unhelpful and has caused an unnecessary choice between the two.

They play very very differently. Battleborn is closer to a moba-lite. Overwatch is very much like Blizzard's take on TF2.

Special C

Hopefully people jump in after the overwatch beta. I'm sure many are trying out both before committing.

Also hoping it does well on console where blizzards grip is not so tight as PC.

MihowZa

Banned
Did the prologue. Great fun.

Opening introduced was amazing. Guess it's time to get slaughtered online.

E: add a noob, darkmihow

Lren

Got the game on PC and got the digital deluxe on ps4 for my birthday. Loving the coop so far, will touch the multiplayer more as well once I'm done with the campaign. Since I've been in the Overwatch since February, no real rush to play that until release now. Feel like both games bring something fun and unique to the table, so it kinda sucks to see one overshadow the other.

Finding that one character that really clicks with you helps a lot as well. Have found that in Oscar Mike and Miko so far, though I am gunning towards unlocking Calderius.

DarkKyo

My local game store had figurine pre-order bonuses for Battleborn today.

I got Thorn.

ip3r7zK.png

Reminds me of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3N01lm6P8

Top Bottom