• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGMPR

Banned
Deadly said:
I'm in the same situation right now.

Servers please update your punkbuster =(

I've just tried deleting my PB directory from the main game directory, clicked "repair install" from origin, let it verify and download 50megs.

Ill be back in a min to tell you whether or not it works...

I just finished the SP-campaign at a friend's house. PC version. I'm not much of a MP-guy and I knew the SP-alone wouldn't be worth 40-60 euros for me in this jam-packed season, so I asked my master-race buddy for some of his PC-time :D

Finished it on normal in about 4-5 hours I guess (1 sitting). EA was not joking around, the SP is definitely a CoD/MoH surrogate. Makarov clone? Check. Stealthy Ghillie style mission? Check. Capture a villa? Check. Nukes? Check. On rails vehicle section? Check. I was hoping it would be more of an open area type of game but instead we usually get pretty tight fighting areas. The only mission that felt a bit more "big battlefield" to me was Rock And A Hard Place. Too bad it was over so quickly.

The graphics and especially the sound are phenomenal. The gameplay though, nothing special. QTEs were laughable and unnecessary. Vehicle sections were pretty ok, although the lack of proper flying vehicles was a pity. Weapons felt good to use. Destructibility in SP wasn't anything special or at least it didn't feel special to me. Enemy A.I was not really mindblowing but nothing horrible.

Aside from the sensory delights a very forgettable campaign. I'm not expecting MW3 to be any better though, but they are going so way over the top I might actually like it. Plus Price, he's badass. But that's for another thread.

The MP seems to be great, judging from my friend's impressions and looking over his shoulder while he was playing. I'm just not into it as much. I'm still pretty much a lone wolf SP-guy.

Tadale

I got about 5 hours in on the Xbox version yesterday, and had no disconnects.

Was working on leveling my support class, which will likely be my class of choice on a lot of maps. It seems like the M249, even with fore grip, may have been nerfed from the beta. I had a lot more luck with it at a lot further range than I'm having now, though I was still extremely successful with it from short to mid range.

FGMPR

Banned
FGMPR said:
I've just tried deleting my PB directory from the main game directory, clicked "repair install" from origin, let it verify and download 50megs.

Ill be back in a min to tell you whether or not it works...

nope :(

I unlocked the M16A4 last night on the Assault class and I have to say it is awesome to finally have what feels like a decent gun on both sides. For some reason I just hate shooting guns with Russian sights in games and I found myself doing much better using the M16A3 over the AK-74. I saw a noticeable increase in the amount of kills I was getting as well once I settled into using the A4, an ACOG, the foregrip, and a laser sight. I might have just gotten into an unrelated hotstreak, but I went from usually breaking even on KDR or worse to having consistent rounds with a 3+ KDR.

Things were also much smoother on the 360 last night, I think we only got dropped from a game once. Ran with a group of 7-8 guys all evening and I think we only lost one game on Seine Crossing in a game that ended with the other team only having four tickets left.

I did notice I am still having issues flying the helicopters compared to Bad Company 2. I will start out decently flying them, but will eventually lose control and have trouble correcting before I crash. I think it might just be a lack of muscle memory when I start to panic when coming under fire due to some control changes. I also am seeing some issues when it comes to knifing people. Sometimes I will knife them no problem and other times I will swipe them multiple times before they die.

Finally I just want to state again how damn annoying it is when your squadmate you are trying to spawn on dies and you get defaulted to the main base. This caused us grief multiple times last night.

Kyaw

PoweredBySoy said:
So to my question above - do you get any sort of extra indication or tone when the missile is actually fired, or are you just visually noticing it?

Yup, the tone will be more bleepy and higher pitched when the missile is fired.

Lock on will be like: Beep....Beep....Beep....Beep
Missiles fired will be like. Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep

FoggyFreek

mujun said:
I've got a major problem. 360 version. Can't play the campaign, endlessly goes from the loading screen to the train intro sequence (about 5 seconds) over and over. Even tried installing it but no luck. Is this a common problem? Any known fix?

have you reported this on Battlelog? If not, please do.

Autofokus

red731 said:
I've got the game with this bad boy - STEELBOOK

It is empty and you can put disc in it.....so I will never touch it or when I will move somewhere else I guess.
Got the same, my OCD yells at the 2 disc slots - I only have one disc (PS3). :|

Kyaw said:

Well, okay, that's fucking horrible then. I'm going to drop kick the next person that complains that the Tunguska is overpowered, because that's really the only viable AA in the game.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
How long until Dice releases some DLC to buy that unlocks all of the weapons?

Did they do something similar with BC2? This carrot on a stick thing isn't working for me.

The_Monk

Where did you guys got the Steelbook? I would love to have one but since I'm getting from Amazon.uk I'm out of luck.

But I really like Steelbooks.

zlatko

Banned
I want the map designers for this game fired and for them each to be personally punched in the face 900 times over the course of a week.

(rush game type)

red731

Kyaw said:

You can literaly hear the shitstorm happening from the beeping.

shit-shit-shit-shit-shit-26690-1298354383-19.jpg

Also I've got the steelbook from preorder from shop in my country.

I'm having no issues with hit detection on 360.

Every bullet feels accounted for, at least to me.

There was a point when I was wondering where the bullets were going, but I stopped shooting aggressively and started feathering the trigger more and I was racking up streaks.

Menelaus

Banned
Kyaw said:

Isn't it a solid tone when the missile is fired?

Makoto

Menelaus said:
Isn't it a solid tone when the missile is fired?
It's a completely different beep when the missile is fired.

In fact, I'd classify the tones as this:
Beeping indicates the enemy is trying to lock on to you. A solid tone means they have a lock. A completely different beeping sound (sometimes ON TOP on the solid sound) means they've fired the missiles at you.

Facism

Am i missing something or can you only have 1 soldier per account? Totally balls if so, not buying another copy so my brother can have his own soldier/unlocks.

Dreaver said:
So GAF, should I get the X360 version or skip it and wait for MW3?

I loved BC2 but I thought the BF3 Beta was garbage.
Get it. I also loved BC2 and was disappointed by the beta, the final product is much better. The movement and aiming feels much more like BC2 to me now and the other maps are all better than Metro. I'm playing on PS3 but I don't think the versions are much different.

FoggyFreek

zlatko said:
I want the map designers for this game fired and for them each to be personally punched in the face 900 times over the course of a week.

(rush game type)

I LOVE RUSH, it's a more action oriented game mode. I hate running from flag to flag, missing all the action...

That's the good thing about opinions :)

FoggyFreek said:
I LOVE RUSH, it's a more action oriented game mode. I hate running from flag to flag, missing all the action...

That's the good thing about opinions :)
Same here, once I played rush in BC2 I never looked back. I love the concentration of the action that comes with rush.

1stStrike

Banned
So, I did some "research" and found a viable way to pilot aircraft using a keyboard without needing to rely on the fucking mouse.

Throttle Up - W
YAW Left - Right
YAW RIGHT - Left
Pitch Up - UP
Pitch Down - Down
Boost - Left Shift
Fire - Space

Roll Left - D
Roll Right - A
Brake - S

Just take the mouse out of the equasion, roll your sensitivity level up really high (maybe 90% or so) and blam. Once you get used to it, it'll be cake.

Fly with your jet in 3rd person view and only go into first person when you're going after someone.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Same here, once I played rush in BC2 I never looked back. I love the concentration of the action that comes with rush.

Playing on console? A big conquest game on PC will usually have action everywhere on the objectives. On smaller player counts you get people too spread out making Rush more console friendly.

Rush on the other hand with a large player count is generally clusterfuck central

Nyx

mujun said:
I've got a major problem. 360 version. Can't play the campaign, endlessly goes from the loading screen to the train intro sequence (about 5 seconds) over and over. Even tried installing it but no luck. Is this a common problem? Any known fix?

You need to press 'A' to jump on the train, otherwise it starts over again.

zlatko

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:

I just don't like how every map of it I've played has 2 areas that are just so fucking 1 sided for defense it's hysterical because you are just donating defenders points at that point. I remember BC1 having some solid rush maps.

My copy arrived this morning from Shopto, played for about an hour or so, noticing A LOT of changes from the beta, they've even cut the hedges in Metro lol

cametall

1stStrike said:
I need 1 kill to unlock flares on the jets and, even using a PS3 controller to fly, I can't orient myself exactly behind another jet in the perfect spot to be able to shoot my gun at them... and there's no way to hit anything on the ground.

What the hell =\

I target tanks. You can tell if there's a tank around (at least I can) when there's a black block in the center of a street. Usually that big black block/blob/rectangle is a tank.

I did blow up a jeep with 2 or 3 enemies once by randomly firing at the attacker spawn (Rush) once.

Ever since I unlocked heatseeker missiles all my jet kills have come from shooting down other jets.

Spokker

cdyhybrid said:
The jet is haaaaard :( I can't ever stay behind another jet long enough to shoot it down. And helis go down too fast to catch.
And then did someone yell at you for not being good enough at it?

I swear, the stigma over jets is insane. They are useless anyway. It's like another game going in the skies. I just ignore them.

Kud Dukan

cametall said:
I target tanks. You can tell if there's a tank around (at least I can) when there's a black block in the center of a street. Usually that big black block/blob/rectangle is a tank.

Yeah, last night I spent some time targetting tanks using the jets. Worked well overall. Didn't get many kills, but I was disabling them quite a bit. Once you get a feel for it, taking on targets on the ground using the jets isn't terribly difficult.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Unlocked the EOD bot and noticed a couple of major changes since beta.

1.) People actually know what it is and shoot it :(

2.) It dies when you die :( :(

sun-drop

my first few hours on ps3 ...holy shit ... i LOVE THIS.

big step up from bc2

playing rush mostly, i think it helps focus the action

Spokker

belvedere said:
Unlocked the EOD bot and noticed a couple of major changes since beta.

1.) People actually know what it is and shoot it :(

2.) It dies when you die :( :(
I still think it's good for distracting the enemy. I like using it in the alley on Grand Bazaar.

dorn.

Played the SP for 2 hours, I don't think "polished turd" has ever been more fitting. I don't even see what I'm shooting at most of the time because there's always fucking lensflare in my face. Jet mission was the only fun I had so far.

F#A#Oo

Banned
My UK copy of BF3 has arrived!!! YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH!

Its a bit sad though that nowadays you'll need an online pass to play games...that is some BS...can't loan my game out no more to family and friends..

Hari Seldon

So I was playing the engi last night and my rocket launchers didn't seem to do shit against enemy tanks and apcs. Is there a reason whey they are so underpowered or am I doing something wrong?

1stStrike

Banned
cametall said:

I did blow up a jeep with 2 or 3 enemies once by randomly firing at the attacker spawn (Rush) once.

Ever since I unlocked heatseeker missiles all my jet kills have come from shooting down other jets.

I'm still getting used to actually flying. Tracking targets air-to-air is a pain in the ass, and I fucking hate just having guns. I understand making it so you have to earn it, but jets never take off without missiles and shit in real combat IRL unless they're just training. And even then, they still have dummy missiles equipped! /rant :p

Edit: HAHA I just got my first air to air kill after bitching. Some guy was flying like a retard and I shot him down. 250/300 points, though, so still no flares. FUUUUU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom