• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
StevieP said:
Please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, tell us how to turn off the JJ Abrams/Die Hard lights, and the lens flares, and the specks of all that crap they put all over the "visor" LOL

Or do what they did for Crysis 2 and make a launcher :D
Lol, it doesnt turn off the lensflares or anything. I'm just in the shadows. The specs are still there too.

I'm working on toning the bloom down though.

1stStrike said:
Use the rocket pods. They do more damage and you don't need to rely on a lock-on.

In reality, the air to ground missiles should take a tank out in 1 hit, but that would be OP for this game. Hopefully in the buff to jets in the next patch this is fixed, though. 2 hits max to take out a tank, IMO. 1 to disable and 1 to destroy. Otherwise, the tank is just going to get repaired before you can even hit it again.

I'd even be happy with 2 to disable. The logistics of setting up three runs in the jet is just a little too much. It's irritating because I was kind of hoping the laser-guideds would solve the whole two-different-games-being-played issue with jets. I guess I'll give the rocket pods a shot though.

Another thought on air power... why even have any other options in slot 2 other than flares? If you don't have flares, you are fucked. I haven't unlocked IR jammer though, yet.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Greatest high I got in a long time....got 2 triple kills with mines on the GAF server tonight. It's even better when you see them run into it

A bit late to it but here's the header I proposed to ColonialRaptor... :p

pffO9.jpg

In addition to toning down the splash on the rockets, make it so engineers can't have a launcher AND mines. Assault can't have medbag and the m320, so why should it be different from engineers?

SteveO409 said:
Greatest high I got in a long time....got 2 triple kills with mines on the GAF server tonight. It's even better when you see them run into it
Highlight of my night: 360 no scoping Spl1nter and scogoth's Little Bird from a tank. 1010 points!

Actually just a lucky 3rd person shot, but there was much joy in my pants

Jak140

So I figured out that on top of not being able to switch teams, it doesn't even display the teams correctly for me. Like sometimes it won't even show me as being on my own team. And I can't even find any reports online of anyone else having the same issue. WTF. This is really pissing me off.

TekDragon

Banned
Dice can kiss my ASS when it comes to engineer repair. There is no fucking reason what-so-ever that an engineer should be able to repair armor at a faster rate than an RPG salvo into the rear can kill it.

A newb in a tank is easy pickings, but against experienced tankers it's a nightmare. I watched a tank rack up dozens of kills DESPITE a 3-man squad of engineers trying to kill it. They finally got it after suffering over a dozen tickets worth of losses.

Bullshit.

Earlier today I shot down a jet with my stinger and his buddy tried to crash into me. It was all slow motion it was funny. He landed right next to me and just exploded and I walked off and proceeded to blow up their helicopter. I wish Battlefield 3 had a theater mode now!

Makoto

TekDragon said:
Dice can kiss my ASS when it comes to engineer repair. There is no fucking reason what-so-ever that an engineer should be able to repair armor at a faster rate than an RPG salvo into the rear can kill it.

A newb in a tank is easy pickings, but against experienced tankers it's a nightmare. I watched a tank rack up dozens of kills DESPITE a 3-man squad of engineers trying to kill it. They finally got it after suffering over a dozen tickets worth of losses.

Bullshit.
If I'm not mistaken, the repair tool doesn't overheat either. Felt good surviving for so long.

samus4ever said:
Earlier today I shot down a jet with my stinger and his buddy tried to crash into me. It was all slow motion it was funny. He landed right next to me and just exploded and I walked off and proceeded to blow up their helicopter. I wish Battlefield 3 had a theater mode now!

It's a blessing In disguise that there is no theatre mode. If there was I would likely be spending more time rewatching all my crazy moments in theatre then actually playing the game

mr_nothin said:
Lol, it doesnt turn off the lensflares or anything. I'm just in the shadows. The specs are still there too.

I'm working on toning the bloom down though.

what's your custom settings? how do you mod it

I don't feel the engineer class is OP, but I feel that it by far the most used class, especially on larger maps for conquest, it's all engineers, can't get a teammate with an ammo pack to save my life.

zlatko

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
I don't feel the engineer class is OP, but I feel that it by far the most used class, especially on larger maps for conquest, it's all engineers, can't get a teammate with an ammo pack to save my life.

It might be a little OP. The guns it gets to use are fantastic from early levels to top levels. RPGs, Stingers, and Javelins are great AND you can strap on + explosive ammo for 9 RPGs to snipe around the map with. Mines demolish vehicles, you can repair vehicles, and if you are doing rush you have a safe way to go and fuse the MCOM stations.

There's a lot you can do as an Engineer, and if I could have changed ONE thing about the class it would have been to not give it so many fantastic guns. M4A1, M4, Scar, A-91, AK74u, and more and more.

I hope dice tones down the tach light. there is no reason for it to be so damn bright on day maps its fucking annoying. I hope this patch fixes the game because I am very disappointed with it. as messed up as the beta was I had more fun playing that.

Steelyuhas said:

That's the issue. Engineer isn't so much OP as it's more the fact you can basically do everything with it. Great close-mid range damage, anti-vehicle with mines AND a launcher plus tons of explosive ammo with the specialization. They need to cut back on the versatility.

Mully

Red Blaster said:
That's the issue. Engineer isn't so much OP as it's more the fact you can basically do everything with it. Great close-mid range damage, anti-vehicle with mines AND a launcher plus tons of explosive ammo with the specialization. They need to cut back on the versatility.

EOD bot should definitely go to Recon.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yes, people were right. Some maps are good for conquest, some are good for rush. The bad thing about this is that if the map is bad for said mode, it means it's barely playable.

Kharg Island is clearly geared for 64 players while OP Metro... lol.

Same for Rush. It's playable on maps with chokepoints.

parasight

excaliburps said:
Using the A-91 for the Engineer which is a damn good weapon.

Just unlocked the A-91 for Engineer today and man it's good. I was reluctant to swap out my SCAR-H but the A-91 is in a whole nother league. Feels amazing.

Steelyuhas said:

It is the most used class because each and every map pretty much is tank heavy. In BC2 I only chose the engineer on the tank levels and that was it. In BF3... Every level is a tank level!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
excaliburps said:
You can unlock the opposing side's weapons when you level up. :)

I'm unlocking the M4 for the Russian side now, etc. If I'm not mistake. Using the A-91 for the Engineer which is a damn good weapon.

I just unlocked the A-91. Feels so damn good to shoot.

In fact, most of the Engineer's weapons are great. Up until now I've been rocking the SCAR, but I think I'm sticking with the A-91 for a little while.

I want that G36C, though. Has anyone used unlocked it yet?

redhot_

MrOogieBoogie said:
I just unlocked the A-91. Feels so damn good to shoot.

In fact, most of the Engineer's weapons are great. Up until now I've been rocking the SCAR, but I think I'm sticking with the A-91 for a little while.

I want that G36C, though. Has anyone used unlocked it yet?

I got the G36C, feels around the same as the A-91 to me..Edit: maybe better cuz you can put a foregrip on it. Thinking about trying out the M4A1 now just to change things up since i totally overlooked it when it was unlocked.

1stStrike

Banned
redhot_ said:
I got the G36C, feels around the same as the A-91 to me..Edit: maybe better cuz you can put a foregrip on it. Thinking about trying out the M4A1 now just to change things up since i totally overlooked it when it was unlocked.

The A-91 gets the foregrip as well. I'm using that along with the infared scope (which is godly - it shows heat signatures and such, so even if someone is hiding in the landscape you can easily pinpoint them), and the suppressor. It's pretty beastly.

I've unlocked the G36C, but have no interest in changing weapons!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Is there any way to stop the game from automatically attaching upgrades?

Cool, i unlocked a laser right! Do i want to use it? No. It gives away my damn position.

(2 minutes later) FUCK I DIED. FUCK I SPAWNED WITH A LASER. FUCK.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Every time I play on 64-player servers with tons of shit going on at once I am always so fucking impressed by how well optimized the game is. It pretty much never dips below 45 fps no matter what's happening. And it looks so good. I mean, what the hell?

LEGGZZZZ said:
That is a negative (your not allowed to have your own opinion!). Now Team Deathmatch on the other hand...
team deathmatch is a cluster fuck. they need to add more time to the re-spawn clock and open up the map in order to be more tactical. the maps just feel way too small.

madmackem

I tell you what map i really dig for conquest, the much hated on metro map. I think its alot of fun and offers something very different to the other maps.

Rad-

Red Blaster said:
In addition to toning down the splash on the rockets, make it so engineers can't have a launcher AND mines. Assault can't have medbag and the m320, so why should it be different from engineers?

Fuck no. Rockets + mines combo is what makes the class fun to play, so satisfying just hunting tanks the whole round. I do think the splash damage is too big though, way too easy to kill infantry with the rocket. But then again, nerfing that makes the engineer quite useless in the few maps that have no vehicles.

Dina

1stStrike said:
Yeah, you absolutely know when you're being targeted and when you've been locked onto/had missiles shot at you so good luck shooting down any decent jet pilot. The flares will rend your stinger missile useless, or they can just fly up above 800 feet to get out of range of your lock on.

I've only been shot down by someone on the ground once in all the time I've flied. Infantry can't really do jack shit to jets. Save your stingers for helicopters, who are much easier to shoot down. If you're close to them even if they fire flares it probably won't save them.

It's a shame because there is an opportunity here for a great mindgame. The soldier needs to wait before the pilot pops his smoke, but may be losing an opportunity here by the plane not popping it at all or just flying away/up. The pilot might want to hold off on a flare because he might be re-aquired, but endanger getting killed (even though you can freelook pretty easy with planes flying slow and always at cruise speed).

I think it was this way in BF2, which made it fun.

About the Stinger/AA and Jets, I disagree with them being unequal. With freelook, flares and flying above 1000 meters, Jets have more than enough tools to dispose of stingers. It's just that most pilots fly planes as if they're stuck on a horizontal plane, dogfighting other planes. You need to divebomb a lot in this game.

Also, as with the chopper, it feels like aircraft in Battlefield always had this high skill ceiling, a lot higher than other vehicles. Sure it is hard, but have a good pilot or two against you and you will die a lot, more so than a tank or a personal carrier because they are limited in their options.

Rainy Dog

lawblob said:
How much better are the visuals on PS3 after downloading the texture pack than the beta MP visuals?

There's less (almost none) tearing, but I don't think the visuals are any different otherwise. I didn't have a problem with the beta's visuals, though.

That said, there's something slightly off about the anti-alaising. The MLAA is isn't as well implemented as in Sony first party games I don't think. It might be down to the much more varied, busier appearance of the game, but somehow BC2 looks cleaner with no AA.

Azriell

As a console player (360), I'm really warming up to more condensed maps like Metro and the one that's basically a giant tunnel with construction vehicles inside of it (B's in the tunnel, A and C are on opposite sides of the tunnel, outside). A lot of the big maps tend to feel rather empty (in regards to Conquest), and it's not unusual to see 3-4 enemy jets/helis in the air, a few enemy tanks, and only the occasional soldier.

Maybe I should get back to Rush. The structure and focused goals have got to help somewhat.

KAOz

Short bus special
Quick, silly, half-useless question.

Where do I change my clantag? So it says GAF?

Battlelog or ingame?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kinda mind boggling to me how people get some of these high KDRs. I am constantly murdered from all angles.

Rad-

Azriell said:
As a console player (360), I'm really warming up to more condensed maps like Metro and the one that's basically a giant tunnel with construction vehicles inside of it (B's in the tunnel, A and C are on opposite sides of the tunnel, outside). A lot of the big maps tend to feel rather empty (in regards to Conquest), and it's not unusual to see 3-4 enemy jets/helis in the air, a few enemy tanks, and only the occasional soldier.

Maybe I should get back to Rush. The structure and focused goals have got to help somewhat.

I agree, those aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The worst Conquest map is the highway one because for some reason that map always makes servers more laggy.

Finally unlocked the ECM jammer for the jet... so good. Take ECM instead of flares, and take beam scanner instead of stealth. Can't get locked on and near-instant lock on. Sooooo good. And so many people dump their flares if you just wait a few seconds with a lock. Then you can almost instantly re-lock courtesy of the beam scanner and end them =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom