• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

TTP said:
Has DICE said anything about patching the PS3 controls? Did they acknowledge there is an issue in the first place?

are they that bad? pwonager was telling me the ps3 controls were better than mouse and keyboard on the pc ;P

mcrae

.nimrod said:
Can you make a screenshot?
It could be z-fighting at long distances due to insufficient precision of the depth-buffer if you get that with the 8x-12x scopes.

yep, im fairly certain this is what it is, a flickering between two textures. i was confused cause it seemed as if they textured the entire building, then individually textured a pillar texture on top on the one piece of geometry, and the two were fighting for precedence... with 8-12x scopes

it also seems to happen with lighting on thinner things.. the telephone wires, edges of bushes and trees.. just on the edges.. a fast 30 fps flicker on whether the lighting/shadow is there or not.

any way to address this on my end? all my setting are at low (computer)

FStop7

Banned
The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I'm trying hard, real hard to have fun with the recon class but I don't. Thus far i've had a heck of a run as an engineer and just started to dabble the support class, finally unlocked the 240b, I like it.

But DAMN the recon class is really boring. How / where do you guys find the fun with it? got the sv98 and the balistic scope. I spot for the team, don't like to stand in one spot... so I TRY to give some sort of cover for the squad / team that advance on the next flag.

Well, it also has to do with how things go on pub servers.

In an ideal environment the recon soldier would be placed forward near the enemy base, and he would call out/spot their vehicles and troops as they depart. He would use the SOFLAM to laze targets. Or he would ride the skid of a Little Bird as it orbits a target in order to spot and provide sniper cover while the assault guys move in. And the attack helicopter would orbit higher up to cover them both. And the jet would be the next layer.

It's mostly a shit show on pub servers. But when the above scenario actually starts to play out, it makes your eyes go wide as to how cool BF3 can be.

You know what would be awesome, would be an "HVT" game mode, where it is the job of one team to recon the map, find the location of a high value target, and then send in a team to capture and extract him back to their base. And it's the other team's job to protect the target. I think that would potentially help things play out a little better as it gives everyone more of a solid role. The recon guys have to go out and do their thing, in order to find what building the target is in. Support has to be there for ammo, assault has to do the medic thing, etc. It forces some organization.

Massa

Facism said:
are they that bad? pwonager was telling me the ps3 controls were better than mouse and keyboard on the pc ;P

Some people are having input lag issues in multiplayer. It's likely a network issue since it only affects some people and only in multiplayer.

J-Rzez

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't know where this thinking comes from that MW3 is going to work perfectly the day it launches. Obviously none of these people played MW2 at launch. Either that or they have short term memory.

Pretty much with all bugs, glitches, and horrible imbalanced OP weapons/perks, then consider that you had 3 different teams all work on this together it doesn't bode well for it. If they pulled it off that's a testament to their skills and efforts, but regardless, I'll stick to the depth that BF has in it's different style of play. I'll gamefly MW3 to check it out for a couple days, but that's about it. Once again, two totally different styles of games.

J-Rzez said:
Pretty much with all bugs, glitches, and horrible imbalanced OP weapons/perks, then consider that you had 3 different teams all work on this together it doesn't bode well for it. If they pulled it off that's a testament to their skills and efforts, but regardless, I'll stick to the depth that BF has in it's different style of play. I'll gamefly MW3 to check it out for a couple days, but that's about it. Once again, two totally different styles of games.

Right, three different dev teams doing what one team did previously. Whatever. Easy to say what something will be when it isn't out.

Smash88

Banned
http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/battlefield-3-criticized-by-peta-over-animal-cruelty/

PETA mad at EA over killing of animal in Battlefield 3

PETA said:
The realistic computer game “Battlefield 3″ treats animals in a sadistic manner. The game gives players the option to kill a rat with a combat knife in the back in order to then lift it by its tail, then toss it away. Killing virtual animals can have a brutalizing effect on the young male target audience. There have been repeated cases of animal cruelty in Germany, where young people kill animals. Inspiration behind these acts often came from movies and computer games.

Nizz

TTP said:
Has DICE said anything about patching the PS3 controls? Did they acknowledge there is an issue in the first place?
I've been checking the official forums daily, looking for the slightest word on the issue....nothing. It's the only thing keeping me from playing the game right now. I try playing MP here and there but man, those controls.

They just don't feel good to me at all...

Nizz

Massa said:
Some people are having input lag issues in multiplayer. It's likely a network issue since it only affects some people and only in multiplayer.
No, it's definitely a problem in singleplayer also. The controls feel the same in both SP and MP.

cdyhybrid

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I'm trying hard, real hard to have fun with the recon class but I don't. Thus far i've had a heck of a run as an engineer and just started to dabble the support class, finally unlocked the 240b, I like it.

But DAMN the recon class is really boring. How / where do you guys find the fun with it? got the sv98 and the balistic scope. I spot for the team, don't like to stand in one spot... so I TRY to give some sort of cover for the squad / team that advance on the next flag.

Just gotta enjoy sniping, man. There's also the fact that I'm better than 90% of the Recon players on the other team in my average game, so it's fun counter-sniping them over and over, especially when they run back to the exact same spot and don't realize I only moved 10 feet to the left until my bullet is in their face again.

As far as useful things to do...
-Spot!
-MAV is underrated, IMO. If you're holding a point/guarding an MCOM, the all-seeing eye of the MAV is a huge advantage.
-SOFLAM + Javelin if you can find an Engy who will play along.

If you're just trying to level it up, consider using an SMG like the UMP instead of a sniper rifle.

tsigo

By far the best game I've had, points-wise.

I gave an attack/defend order on B that didn't change for the whole game, and between that and my ammo crates (7 resupply ribbons), I don't think there was a time where something wasn't scrolling by on my points feed.

redhot_

Note to any random getting into an attack choppers gunner seat. We are not your taxi!! and i expect you to shoot something not jump out half way into the map. ugh..

ColonialRaptor said:
Are you a BF Boy or an MW Man...

Ugh... what did I just say :/

lol.gif

redhot_ said:
Note to any random getting into an attack choppers gunner seat. We are not your taxi!! and i expect you to shoot something not jump out half way into the map. ugh..

I think it's worse to be a attack chopper gunner with a shitty pilot. Earlier today I was the gunner in one on Kharg...dude flies low, straight toward the back of the US spawn where they have two tanks that just rip us apart.

Anton_Sugar: WTF
Dude: Hey sry just wanted to practice :)

redhot_

Anton Sugar said:
I think it's worse to be a attack chopper gunner with a shitty pilot. Earlier today I was the gunner in one on Kharg...dude flies low, straight toward the back of the US spawn where they have two tanks that just rip us apart.

Anton_Sugar: WTF
Dude: Hey sry just wanted to practice :)

Ya the people who are just learning drop real quick and you can normally tell right away if there good or not. I just dont know what some people think when im lining them up with another chopper or were attacking the jets and they just sit there. Everyone seems to think its only good for ground troops.

Is there any difference between the 3 bolt action sniper rifles?

I've primarily used the SV-98 and have gotten pretty comfortable with it. I've tried the M40 and the M98 and I don't really feel any difference but I'm definitely not as good with them. Is there any real benefit from using one over the other?

Xux

I think I might've crossed the line from completely garbage attack chopper pilot to not completely garbage.

Woot woot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Xux said:
I think I might've crossed the line from completely garbage attack chopper pilot to not completely garbage.

Woot woot.
I can do pretty much everything except hovering. I always clip something and then faceplant. Kind of embarrassing to be honest.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
There is nothing I hate more than getting stomped, and that's basically been everything that's happened today. No one's doing their role in support of others. I can't get a SOFLAM to save my life. Hell, I don't really even like stomping the other team. I DO however, enjoy a good game that goes down to the wire. This shit is just not something I can deal with. Maybe it'll be better tomorrow...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Does the enemy see a red dot if you have the RDS equipped? Seems counterintuitive to have said attachment if you're using a silencer and trying to be sneaky as well.

Kak.efes

Underslung M26 Mass with IRNV scope on maps like Seine, and Metro is just fucking brutal. It's great that the assault class basically doesn't have to go through the trouble of unlocking attachments in this way for shotguns.

Effect

So dropping my video settings from high to medium fixed my crashing is it seems. *crosses fingers* Since the game was running just find outside of the crashing I didn't try it before. I guess I should have before becoming annoyed but still ugh. The increase FPS is a lot better though. Did a few matches with no issues at all. Found out something interesting though. I don't notice the difference between medium and high settings. With things moving so fast it doesn't really matter if there is some detail missing. I thought for a second though I crashed but it was the Gaf server that crashed instead.

cluto

Why am I not gaining any experience for using the Mobile AA? I just killed three jet pilots and got nothing at the end of the game.

1stStrike

Banned
doomed1 said:
There is nothing I hate more than getting stomped, and that's basically been everything that's happened today. No one's doing their role in support of others. I can't get a SOFLAM to save my life. Hell, I don't really even like stomping the other team. I DO however, enjoy a good game that goes down to the wire. This shit is just not something I can deal with. Maybe it'll be better tomorrow...

I'm always either laser designating targets from the CITV seat in the tank, or setting up my SOFLAM on the GAF server... but nobody utilizes it =\

daedalius

daedalius said:
I guess I'll mess with vsync and raw input settings when I get home. From looking around the net on different forums, it looks like this has been an issue since Alpha.

Well, turning on Vsync and turning OFF raw mouse seems to HELP... but it certainly isn't gone.

Now sometimes BF just seems to stop accepting input from my mouse alltogether, and it takes a moment for it to come back and allow me to look around again.

Wow, so I tried to turn Raw Mouse back on with Vsync on... and holy shit, mouse lag like in that video I linked before exactly. Couldn't look around for shit.

Vsync on and Raw mouse off make it semi-playable, but its still hard as shit to aim, and sometimes it just STOPS. fml.

Zeppelin

1stStrike said:
I'm always either laser designating targets from the CITV seat in the tank, or setting up my SOFLAM on the GAF server... but nobody utilizes it =\

Yup, the GAF server needs more designated targets. :(

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not sure if posted already, but Gamespot has two new videos showcasing the Back to Karkand expansion. Person playing is kinda crappy though.

http://battlefieldo.com/back-to-karkand-screenshots-videos/

Also, am I the only one NOT getting CoD this year? I was on the fence about it, but the fact that I barely played Black Ops makes me think I'm doing the right thing. I dunno, seems like the term "redundancy" keeps popping back into my head whenever I think of CoD and TDM gameplay.

Not bashing, but saying what I feel. :)

-GOUKI-

excaliburps said:
Not sure if posted already, but Gamespot has two new videos showcasing the Back to Karkand expansion. Person playing is kinda crappy though.

Also, am I the only one NOT getting CoD this year? I was on the fence about it, but the fact that I barely played Black Ops makes me think I'm doing the right thing. I dunno, seems like the term "redundancy" keeps popping back into my head whenever I think of CoD and TDM gameplay.

ps3 version....uh why?

Effect

excaliburps said:

Not getting it this year. Now that BF3 is running fine I'm happy. Team Deathmatch in BF3 isn't to bad if I have that desire. I largely started playing Domination in CoD:BO and Conquest is a better for that style of play anyway. I'm just curious as to what the Wii verison of MW3 looks like but BF3 should keep my FPS desire satisfied for some time to come. Especailly since I get the first expansion pack free.

Proxy

excaliburps said:

I was on the fence about it and ultimately decided against buying it, at least for now. Strangely, I guess, what pushed me over was the fact the game wouldn't be unlocking until 10 AM. Also didn't help that the gameplay videos I saw didn't look all that appealing.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
excaliburps said:

I'll be picking up the Wii version at some point. I don't enjoy CoD much at all but something about the Wiimote controls make it fun.

Of course, with BF3 out I have no idea when I'll ever get around to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom